• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Tohsaka

I got a question for you guys. Just got my Asian copy of SOA, but how does it work to d/l the patch. Do I need an Asian PSN account?? And if yea, how do I go about creating one. Only have a US PSN accou t

You don't need to make an Asian account, the game should download the patch regardless of the region of the account you're using.

Pretty much this ^ And if you are talking about the big content patch, that will only drop on the Asian copies at the end of this month/beginning of the next. Trust me, between now and then you won't even notice that you don't have it. It's been 2 months almost since I got my copy and I'm not even halfway done with the story mode on either arc lol. You have plenty to get busy with until then, as do I :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You don't need to make an Asian account, the game should download the patch regardless of the region of the account you're using.

Though if they want the DLC they will need an Asian account. Thats if there is DLC on the Asian account dont know that, but am sure others here can confirm.

I got a question for you guys. Just got my Asian copy of SOA, but how does it work to d/l the patch. Do I need an Asian PSN account?? And if yea, how do I go about creating one. Only have a US PSN accou t

That and dont worry about the large content stuff since even if you could go there all that would happen is you most likely dying all over the place.

But as others mentioned patches should be able to be acquired regardless of your accounts region, but DLC is what you need a region specific account for.

Though if they want the DLC they will need an Asian account. Thats if there is DLC on the Asian account dont know that, but am sure others here can confirm.
There is DLC,though I can't give you specifics about which ones we don't have that the JP do. I didn't bother switching accounts, bless them for releasing patches with content lol.

Prelude.

And I doubt that the update will fix the script at all, I saw someone mention that.
Didn't they fix at least some kind of typo/badly formatted text in one of the previous patches? I'm kinda sure I saw a video about that.

Asian version has all the Japanese ver DLCs that is available on the Ps Store except for the GGO set and that needs the game to be at 1.05.
Do you mean available on the asian store or already in the game?

Danferno

U mean the other way around right? :p
The Asian version already has the update lined up for July/August, I posted the video that Bamco Asia put out at the beginning of the month saying so somewhere on this page again.

And I doubt that the update will fix the script at all, I saw someone mention that.

Whoops! I somehow missed your post then. Awesome. Even better if everyone is correct and the big content update is delivered via patch instead of DLC. I really don't feel like doing the accounts switching thing.

Didn't they fix at least some kind of typo/badly formatted text in one of the previous patches? I'm kinda sure I saw a video about that.
I they have I haven't noticed anything. That should tell you a lot :p
Whoops! I somehow missed your post then. Awesome. Even better if everyone is correct and the big content update is delivered via patch instead of DLC. I really don't feel like doing the accounts switching thing.
And I agree, dodgy sub's aside I don't regret one bit having imported the game. Its my most played game of the year.

Be strong!

tumblr_mx92s7k2O71s3xrhco1_500.gif

That's my reaction... but I try... D:

Parakeetman

I just want a good offline MMO again so badly it hurts :p I still remember years ago when I sunk a unholy amount of time into .hack//INFECTION and the others and I can't wait to experience something like this again :D

Ill tell you this though, one thing the game most def has over .Hack is the combat system and how the world itself is designed. While I loved the .Hack series, really felt that the dungeons / world itself was quite bland unfortunately. Know that a large part of it too has to come from the hardware and all that, but still. Was one of the largest downsides of the series which the team had never tried to improve on.

Do think if the guys who were behind the development / planning of the SAO game went and did a .Hack reboot of the series (one that isnt childish garbage like the last game was) Id say it could make a pretty interesting return. Though we all know its not going to happen and the team Id imagine is already on a SAO 2 project.

Ill tell you this though, one thing the game most def has over .Hack is the combat system and how the world itself is designed. While I loved the .Hack series, really felt that the dungeons / world itself was quite bland unfortunately. Know that a large part of it too has to come from the hardware and all that, but still. Was one of the largest downsides of the series which the team had never tried to improve on.

Do think if the guys who were behind the development / planning of the SAO game went and did a .Hack reboot of the series (one that isnt childish garbage like the last game was) Id say it could make a pretty interesting return. Though we all know its not going to happen and the team Id imagine is already on a SAO 2 project.
Yup imagine GGO getting a game... I'd fucking buy that day 0.

I obviously haven't played SAO yet so I can't comment on that part but I agree with all you wrote and I don't doubt that SAO excels in combat and world-design. I'm happy to see another .hack// fan here and as much as I love the whole franchise myself I agree that the games itself were pretty bland and you never got the feeling that The World was a massive place though as you also said most of it was due to the hardware of the PS2 I guess. What hold the games together for me was my own fantasy though and the sheer pulling force of the whole surrounding story.

I would say if you take the games by itself they are really no standouts aside from being the first Offline MMO (well I guess there was Digimon World 2003 before it :p) and having a great active battle system, what made it all the more awesome for me however is how well they integrated into everything. I watched .hack//SIGN, I read the manga and the novels, heck most of it still sits on my shelf to this date! :D And being able to play The World, in a limited form on my PS2 was absolutely amazing for me, especially since it also portrayed a part of the story and the whole "mythos". Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground springs to mind immediately, Aura, Helba, the Twilight Bracelet, Epitaph of Twilight (Yet to return the shadowed one. Who quests for the Twilight Dragon...) I could go one for hours and I haven't even mentioned ALTIMIT yet... (the idea was GENIUS and I genuinely want to have a full ALTIMIT OS on my PC! :p) Exploring every nook and cranny of the surrounding world, the fake BBS in the games... I would argue that, based on personal preference, is something that .hack// as a whole does better than SAO. It might be because I was younger when I went through the whole .hack// franchise do I might have not understood everything though I loved that it shrouded itself in mystery. No much was 100% clear cut explained and there was alot you could imagine for yourself. I was amazed to learn about Aura's "birth", Zefi, rouge AI's, Data Drain and everything, it was one giant mystery unfolding and my mind couldn't get enough of it and wanted to understand everything. In a nutshell I would say .hack// gave me what actual MMOs to this day can't, a world worth exploring, mysteries to be solved and a purpose beyond grinding for items and PvP.

SAO in turn stays much more technical and explains itself fairly well and clearly inside its own boundaries, like how the VMMORPGs actually work, how the NerveGear works, why and how the players are trapped on a technical level and things like that. It's by no means a bad thing and I really don't want to compare SAO to .hack// as franchises to say which is better since I love both and I'm just excited to soon be able to experience something similar again :)

Also when you said that the team never improved on it, I assume you mean the .hack//G.U. games? Unfortunately I could never really play those since they didn't came out here and my PS2 was PAL. I didn't have any means to play NTSC games till quite a while later and I never got around to them but it's a shame to hear they didn't manage to push the games further :/

Before you said it I never even thought about a possible reboot but you are right, the developers of SAO together with CyberConnect could make something amazing, especially with today's hardware and possibilities. The whole mythos could come alive anew and The World would finally
hopefully
get the representation it deserves, I would kickstart the hell out of such a project... oh god I just realized... PS4... Project Morpheus... The World... Sony you have the perfect franchise to launch off actual VMMORPGs and now I'm sad it will never happen as you said... D:

Anyways yeah I can't wait for SAO, one way or another though I just realized that importing the physical version would maybe be better since I'm part of 8GB Vita GAF and even though I'm mostly physical my memory card is still full :/

Good god I really fanboy'ed alot about .hack//... sorry... D:

Stuart444

I'm curious... not that you'd want to but if you updated your game but backed it up to your PC before hand, could you put it back to the previous version of the game by copying the back up back to your PSV?

I'm just curious because I sometimes back up my game to my PC and don't want to accidentally put it back to a previous version (I haven't updated my game yet but plan to later today)

Parakeetman

I'm curious... not that you'd want to but if you updated your game but backed it up to your PC before hand, could you put it back to the previous version of the game by copying the back up back to your PSV?

I'm just curious because I sometimes back up my game to my PC and don't want to accidentally put it back to a previous version (I haven't updated my game yet but plan to later today)

That is possible, its the same for if you have PS+ and use the UL / DL cloud save feature. So you can use that or the "Content Manager" software as you mentioned.

It's been a long time since I felt anticipation like this for a game. Totally bought a vita yesterday for this.

If you want a game thats going to give you some serious playtime this would be one of them. Am guessing you have seen all the gameplay footage too so you should have a pretty good idea of what you will be getting yourself into lol.

Stuart444

That is possible, its the same for if you have PS+ and use the UL / DL cloud save feature. So you can use that or the "Content Manager" software as you mentioned.

Huh, completely forgot that you could use the cloud save feature for it. Thanks for the answer :).

Also Reading up on the update, there is a Garden? IS that also in the Hollow Area like the other new areas?

Parakeetman

Huh, completely forgot that you could use the cloud save feature for it. Thanks for the answer :).

Also Reading up on the update, there is a Garden? IS that also in the Hollow Area like the other new areas?

Im not quite sure yet on where the access to the garden is. Im thinking it might be from the town teleporter? I have yet to spend time with the new content as work is just super busy so hardly have any time to play things.

Got multiple OTs to take care of too to get at least get somewhat familiar with the other titles that I have OTs for. D:

Once things calm down do hope to get in some game time with the new content and see what kind of new gear I can find!

---

I kinda like the cloud feature since its a bit harder to kill your data by accident and takes less time since you have to select upload or download. Once you start the copying with the content manager thats it. But the content manager is pretty useful for when you do want to keep a backup somewhere. Just that its a bit of a pain in the ass at times to work with. D: Ive had 0 accidents using the PS+ cloud UL / DL with saves. Content manager on the other hand managed to lose all my data once before lol.

Probably been answered numerous times so I apologize in advance but I have been avoiding the topic due to potential anime spoilers as I have yet to watch it and I heard the game takes place after a major spoiler.

I try to get every game I can physical so obviously I am interested in the Asian version but had some questions and concerns. Is there anything I am going to miss by playing this on a Us account? I see at the top of the page that the big content patch is actually a patch and thus should be delivered via the patching system rather than the PSN Store which is one fear alleviated but I also see mention of DLC. I typically do not buy DLC so is missing out on this content anything to worry about? Any online pass or other such stuff to worry about?

I hear the translation isn't the best and while that sucks I would rather have a busted translation + physical than a digital version with a great translation. Is there anything I should know before grabbing the Asian version?

Probably been answered numerous times so I apologize in advance but I have been avoiding the topic due to potential anime spoilers as I have yet to watch it and I heard the game takes place after a major spoiler.

I try to get every game I can physical so obviously I am interested in the Asian version but had some questions and concerns. Is there anything I am going to miss by playing this on a Us account? I see at the top of the page that the big content patch is actually a patch and thus should be delivered via the patching system rather than the PSN Store which is one fear alleviated but I also see mention of DLC. I typically do not buy DLC so is missing out on this content anything to worry about? Any online pass or other such stuff to worry about?

I hear the translation isn't the best and while that sucks I would rather have a busted translation + physical than a digital version with a great translation. Is there anything I should know before grabbing the Asian version?

Hello!
I have been playing the asian version for almost two months now, so I feel like I can give u a pretty good idea about what you should expect.

Is there DLC? Yes. Is it substantial to DL it? Absolutely not. Unless you really care about extra outfits (which the game is already full of) and maybe, don't quote me on this, a couple of extra quests, which again the game is full of. The patches drop normally as those are region free (look forward to 1.05 dropping late this month/ early next one! Full of new content too :D ). No online pass in this one either since there is no real multiplayer (aside from ad hoc).

Hope this helps you in your decision!

Parakeetman

In regards to this watch the show up to at least Episode 14. As the game takes place after that.

Hello!
I have been playing the asian version for almost two months now, so I feel like I can give u a pretty good idea about what you should expect.

Is there DLC? Yes. Is it substantial to DL it? Absolutely not. Unless you really care about extra outfits (which the game is already full of) and maybe, don't quote me on this, a couple of extra quests, which again the game is full of. The patches drop normally as those are region free (look forward to 1.05 dropping late this month/ early next one! Full of new content too :D ). No online pass in this one either since there is no real multiplayer (aside from ad hoc).

Hope this helps you in your decision!

Nice! Thanks for the reply! I guess I will be grabbing this once I get caught up on the show. Looks like something I will get a kick out of.

In regards to this watch the show up to at least Episode 14. As the game takes place after that.

Awesome, much appreciated!

I really hope they continue the series. Gimme GGO on the vita. Since I've been playing the Destiny beta I would love to seethem giving this game a shooting mechanic. Wonder how it'd work... Maybe with auto aim? Meaning you'd press let's say CIRCLE for the burst attack and it would fire against the nearest enemy (or one that u selected with the TRIANGLE before shooting). That would work, and it would retain the same mechanics.

Beating a monster 50 levels above you feels good man.
Try doing that outside of the local multiplayer with only one of the most vulnerable and weaker characters such as Sinon or Silica. The fight will drag on, you might even die, or even better the girl might die. But when you do retry and land that last blow and see the blue shards floating in the air, hear the "level up" tune alongside the loot drop, and realize that both your health and your partners are almost down to null... Beats any feeling you might get in any other game :p

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Try doing that outside of the local multiplayer with only one of the most vulnerable and weaker characters such as Sinon or Silica. The fight will drag on, you might even die, or even better the girl might die. But when you do retry and land that last blow and see the blue shards floating in the air, hear the "level up" tune alongside the loot drop, and realize that both your health and your partners are almost down to null... Beats any feeling you might get in any other game :p

The first 20 hours were some of the most amazing I've spent in any video game...I entered the first Hollow Area at Level 106 and over the span of 20 hours beat it nearly 100%, constantly taking on enemies 30 and 40 levels above my own. This game is extremely rewarding in general.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Im not quite sure yet on where the access to the garden is. Im thinking it might be from the town teleporter? I have yet to spend time with the new content as work is just super busy so hardly have any time to play things.

Got multiple OTs to take care of too to get at least get somewhat familiar with the other titles that I have OTs for. D:

Once things calm down do hope to get in some game time with the new content and see what kind of new gear I can find!

---

I kinda like the cloud feature since its a bit harder to kill your data by accident and takes less time since you have to select upload or download. Once you start the copying with the content manager thats it. But the content manager is pretty useful for when you do want to keep a backup somewhere. Just that its a bit of a pain in the ass at times to work with. D: Ive had 0 accidents using the PS+ cloud UL / DL with saves. Content manager on the other hand managed to lose all my data once before lol.

Have you gotten a chance to explore the new areas? If so, how are they?

Stuart444

So I've been meaning to ask...

On the main menu, there is 3 "????"s...

what are they? And do they unlock after completion?

Been bothering me since I bought the game honestly.

Parakeetman

Beating a monster 50 levels above you feels good man.

I used to do that a lot when I saw a treasure chest behind them in the normal hollow area as I knew the shit inside was going to be good lol

Not sure truthfully I dont even remember that... lol

WiseWarrior

Neo Member

I unlocked the first after beating the Hollow Arc. It's an art/video gallery where you can look at pictures (Mainly from the character events) and videos. (Including ones for the introduction that weren't shown during the game)

I unlocked the last two after beating the main game. One is New Game+, and the other allows you to replay the final boss battles of the main story.

Arthos

I wish they'd announce a price already for the US version. x.x

How long is the game? And not sure if anyone can answer this but can different versions play with each other? Not sure if one has tried playing with the Asian version while someone else is playing the JP one.

Phlebas

Banned
About one month left, I have Muramasa Rebirth to keep my Vita company until then.

Still hoping for those sweet Japanese DLC costumes for NA.

Stuart444

So... sometimes I tend to rush sections to get to the next part of the story.

In this case, I tried doing this in the Hollow Area, I was at this section of the first area:

In the bit before the Bastea Gate area, couldn't find a way to open the doors because I kept avoiding the enemies. So I thought there must be another way around...

eventually I went back and decided to try and kill enemies/open chests and what do you know, I eventually get to the area I'm trying to access.

I think it was the Knight of Priests enemy (with the Neo guys guarding him) that opened the doors since I had to face two of them, one for each door until I got to the exit...

On the bright side, I did get to face this beauty during all this confusion:

Me and Philia rocked though I did almost die a few times but that's only natural isn't it? :D

Mainly trying to progress the Hollow story while I level up before continuing the floor clearing stuff. (level 113 and on floor 85)

Top Bottom