• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

My Import copy will be here Monday morning, can't wait to play it.

After all the discussions on the patch content last week etc. I ended up ordering my copy also. it is arriving sometime today. Super excited to get into it. Should be set for some awesome JRPG gaming now (also playing chrono trigger for the 1st time on 3DS)

This thread is about to get pretty lively aha, good stuff. I'm passing the baton on to you guys. After so long playing this I have to slowly start moving on to other stuff and not just play this exclusively. Hope it lasts you as long or better yet, longer than it did and continues to do with me until now :p I'll be glad to answer any questions that you might have, and I'm sure that everyone else who has already played or that is still playing this will as well!

Give us your impressions and all that jazz ;)

isshak_gravi

Bandai Namco Europe and Australasia Community Manager for Tales, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece
If they'd only react to Facebook / Twitter. Usually they completely ignore :(

I don't! I'm just waiting on confirmation. And this isn't PR speak, we may very well get it or we may not, as soon as I know I will tell you (and try to include it in a press release so the info gets around). But I'm feeling positive. But that's not confirmation.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I don't! I'm just waiting on confirmation. And this isn't PR speak, we may very well get it or we may not, as soon as I know I will tell you (and try to include it in a press release so the info gets around). But I'm feeling positive. But that's not confirmation.

thanks for coming back to let the EU fans know some dort of info on whats going on am sure they all appreciate it!

Arthos

Hope we get some news soon!

Man, it's been difficult to restrain myself from buying the import. I kinda really want the DLC.

Stuart444

Hope we get some news soon!

Man, it's been difficult to retrain myself from buying the import. I kinda really want the DLC.

Hopefully we'll know soon. With Bamco, we usually get the same stuff in both America and Europe (with some exceptions) so if we get confirmation for the DLC/Patch/whatever, then it will likely be for both regions.

Thanks for informing us Isshak, we have our fingers crossed. :)

My copy of game arrived this arvo, hooray!
Now to get through the last 45 minutes of the day (plus patching, lol) before i get to play :D

So excited for this.

fahad

Neo Member
My Import copy will be here Monday morning, can't wait to play it.

Also my import copy arrive today , actually it's already in the post office I just need to go and collect it
But I'm so tired right now , so gonna take a nap first ^_^

Mendrox

Soo hyped for the game. Two weeks to go and I am also sure that Bandai won't fuck us over, they will surely release the patches. :)

Stuart444

Soo hyped for the game. Two weeks to go and I am also sure that Bandai won't fuck us over, they will surely release the patches. :)

I'm sure they will. They probably won't release it straight away but I'm sure we'll get it soon after release.

Just gotta stay positive and besides, the game is REALLY good with or without the patch and DLC.

Listonosh

Not sure if this was asked here, but I have a question regarding Infinity Moment. I saw websites posting that the game will include a Vita remaster of Infinity Moment, which was a PSP title prefacing Hollow Fragment, but then other sites say that Infinity Moment is basically built into the game, as part 1 of Hollow Fragment. So basically, was Bandai embellishing the fact we're getting an extra free game with Hollow Fragment when it was there all along, or are we getting a separate downloadable version of Infinity Moment?

Stuart444

Not sure if this was asked here, but I have a question regarding Infinity Moment. I saw websites posting that the game will include a Vita remaster of Infinity Moment, which was a PSP title prefacing Hollow Fragment, but then other sites say that Infinity Moment is basically built into the game, as part 1 of Hollow Fragment. So basically, was Bandai embellishing the fact we're getting an extra free game with Hollow Fragment when it was there all along, or are we getting a separate downloadable version of Infinity Moment?

Isshak clarified much earlier in the thread but basically the wording was off in the original press release.

This game is basically Infinity Moment with new content/events/changes. Part of that new content is the Hollow Fragment arc which has it's own story (and it's own credit sequence).

You're basically getting everything Infinity Moment had but with a better battle system and a lot more content. It even includes a recap which explains the backstory briefly of the "Death game" and has the cutscenes/brief talk scenes from IM. (ie Leafa and Sinons introductions and how Yui is back)

So yeah, tl;dr: IM is built into the game but much better, wording was off on the initial press release but was later clarified

Listonosh

Isshak clarified much earlier in the thread but basically the wording was off in the original press release.

This game is basically Infinity Moment with new content/events/changes. Part of that new content is the Hollow Fragment arc which has it's own story (and it's own credit sequence).

You're basically getting everything Infinity Moment had but with a better battle system and a lot more content. It even includes a recap which explains the backstory briefly of the "Death game" and has the cutscenes/brief talk scenes from IM. (ie Leafa and Sinons introductions and how Yui is back)

So yeah, tl;dr: IM is built into the game but much better, wording was off on the initial press release but was later clarified

Gotcha! Thanks for clarification =) Sounds great.

Anyone know if the NA version is available to preorder through Amazon/Gamestop/Newegg/____?

I was just looking but couldn't find it anywhere..

Started playing last night. Firstly, a few engrish mistakes and bad translations along the way so far but nothing really bad.

The tutorial part was way longer than I expected but gave the game play a firm grounding. I have so far reached and am ready to fight the level 76 boss then I plan to do some hollow area for a while.

Only questions thus far is on how important the dating sim aspect is? And can you just level a niche few friends or have you guys been spreading the love?

Ps. Now to last through this long day till I can enjoy some more.

Stuart444

Started playing last night. Firstly, a few engrish mistakes and bad translations along the way so far but nothing really bad.

The tutorial part was way longer than I expected but gave the game play a firm grounding. I have so far reached and am ready to fight the level 76 boss then I plan to do some hollow area for a while.

Only questions thus far is on how important the dating sim aspect is? And can you just level a niche few friends or have you guys been spreading the love?

Ps. Now to last through this long day till I can enjoy some more.

1. Most of the character events you can ignore. Some you'll activate automatically but if you don't give a damn, just press L to skip all the text. So not really important. You don't even need to talk to anyone (manually) or raise their relationship ranks to complete the game.

You can just level a few people, even just one person and it won't impact you too much. Only one character is unavailable later on after Floor 95 I believe (
Strea
- the person who becomes unavailable) but apart from that, you could use Silica or Sinon all the way until Floor 100 without much issue if you really wanted to.

Boss battle wise, you can only use the main girls, so don't expect to be able to have Klein as a partner during boss battles but he's still fun to partner with in the field sometimes :p.

Have fun with the game. :)

1. Most of the character events you can ignore. Some you'll activate automatically but if you don't give a damn, just press L to skip all the text. So not really important. You don't even need to talk to anyone (manually) or raise their relationship ranks to complete the game.

You can just level a few people, even just one person and it won't impact you too much. Only one character is unavailable later on after Floor 95 I believe (
Strea
- the person who becomes unavailable) but apart from that, you could use Silica or Sinon all the way until Floor 100 without much issue if you really wanted to.

Boss battle wise, you can only use the main girls, so don't expect to be able to have Klein as a partner during boss battles but he's still fun to partner with in the field sometimes :p.

Have fun with the game. :)

Thanks, good to know. Whelp looks like i won't be partnering with that person anymore, haha. I think i might go mainly with Sinon (due to just started watching season 2) or my other favourite would probably have to be Philla but she seems to be area specific, which probably works out nicely!

Stuart444

Thanks, good to know. Whelp looks like i won't be partnering with that person anymore, haha. I think i might go mainly with Sinon (due to just started watching season 2) or my other favourite would probably have to be Philla but she seems to be area specific, which probably works out nicely!

3 things:

1. That person, you do need her if you go trophy hunting for the relationship ranks. Just FYI :)

2. About Philia:
Complete the Hollow Fragment Chapter before you complete the Floor Clearing chapter. You'll get both Philia outside of Hollow Area and you'll get a fun little battle at the end of the game. :) with a character you can use in NG+

3. Sinon is awesome. Really like her. Hehe :D

garath

I'll admit. I watched the first season on Netflix and it has become a guilty pleasure. I am very interested in the NA version. Can't seem to find it on psn yet though. Not up for preorder? I'm content to wait. 8/19 isn't far off though. Gameplay looks like a bit of phantasy star online? Dunno. Liked what I saw.

I'm in quite a dilemma regarding SAO now that the release date approaches :/ I want to support the local release but 3gb is pretty heavy for my 8gb Vita and at the same time I prefer physical copies. Well now I could either import SAO from Play-Asia or a 32gb Memory Stick, whatever I pick I will be hit with 10-15€ shipping costs plus possible customs making a quick import of either quite unattractive. What is funny is that even with the shipping I would still end up about 8€ cheaper than buying a 32gb card locally so I guess I will end up getting the EU digital release and just having to scrap off 3gb somehow while hoping the big content patch will appear here...

All in all not the best outlook, what would others do in my situation? :(

Stuart444

I'll admit. I watched the first season on Netflix and it has become a guilty pleasure. I am very interested in the NA version. Can't seem to find it on psn yet though. Not up for preorder? I'm content to wait. 8/19 isn't far off though. Gameplay looks like a bit of phantasy star online? Dunno. Liked what I saw.

Yup, not up for pre-order. Still not long to go :)

I'm in quite a dilemma regarding SAO now that the release date approaches :/ I want to support the local release but 3gb is pretty heavy for my 8gb Vita and at the same time I prefer physical copies. Well now I could either import SAO from Play-Asia or a 32gb Memory Stick, whatever I pick I will be hit with 10-15€ shipping costs plus possible customs making a quick import of either quite unattractive. What is funny is that even with the shipping I would still end up about 8€ cheaper than buying a 32gb card locally so I guess I will end up getting the EU digital release and just having to scrap off 3gb somehow while hoping the big content patch will appear here...

All in all not the best outlook, what would others do in my situation? :(

If I had just those two choices, I would go with a 32GB card because it would serve well for other digital games which will inevitably come out in the future. I'd say it'd be a good long term investment if you think of it like that.

TUSR

Banned
Yup, not up for pre-order. Still not long to go :)

If I had just those two choices, I would go with a 32GB card because it would serve well for other digital games which will inevitably come out in the future. I'd say it'd be a good long term investment if you think of it like that.

man your avatar dimensions are goofy, do you want someone to fix that for you?

3 things:

1. That person, you do need her if you go trophy hunting for the relationship ranks. Just FYI :)

2. About Philia:
Complete the Hollow Fragment Chapter before you complete the Floor Clearing chapter. You'll get both Philia outside of Hollow Area and you'll get a fun little battle at the end of the game. :) with a character you can use in NG+

3. Sinon is awesome. Really like her. Hehe :D

Thanks for advice while not actually spoiling anything. Those are 2 nice tips to know.

With point 1, are you basically saying if i want the trophy i must complete said action before I get past floor 95? I probably will go for trophys in this game to extend my time and enjoyment with it even more

Have you guys tried japanese AD-HOC Party to play with each other for this? can you do it with a ps4?

These have probably already been answered but I'll ask again.

Have Namco announced a price for this title?

Is seeing the series through episode 14 (
the end of the aincrad arc
) enough to enjoy the game ?

Stuart444

Thanks for advice while not actually spoiling anything. Those are 2 nice tips to know.

With point 1, are you basically saying if i want the trophy i must complete said action before I get past floor 95? I probably will go for trophys in this game to extend my time and enjoyment with it even more

Have you guys tried japanese AD-HOC Party to play with each other for this? can you do it with a ps4?

Yeah, you must do it before then (though relationship grinding is a well... a grind) and you get a trophy when it's done.

I've not done proper Ad-hoc party but I doubt you can do it with a PS4.

These have probably already been answered but I'll ask again.

Have Namco announced a price for this title?

Is seeing the series through episode 14 (
the end of the aincrad arc
) enough to enjoy the game ?

No, probably the same as any Vita digital niche title.

Episode 14 is perfect as that is where the game starts off from so yeah, it's enough.

Phlebas

Banned
When praising party member actions, is there a downside to using it whenever you can? Or can you use it however you want?

When praising party member actions, is there a downside to using it whenever you can? Or can you use it however you want?
If you wanna focus on attack,after u talk to her in battle and tell her to do that, to unlock the heroines attack costume, praising her for other actions other than attack will make the progress slower. Same thing applies to BUFF and DEF

Phlebas

Banned
If you wanna focus on attack,after u talk to her in battle and tell her to do that, to unlock the heroines attack costume, praising her for other actions other than attack will make the progress slower. Same thing applies to BUFF and DEF

Oh alright, I'm not very far in the game should I restart or its not a big deal?

Since I was doing it kind of randomly :|

Raxious

Didn't see your message :eek:

Anyway, I ended up importing a copy anyway. Who knows, I might end up double dipping and see if I can sell my import. Ppl love them physical copies :D

Oh alright, I'm not very far in the game should I restart or its not a big deal?

Nah it's really quick to get each stat done, and either way once u max out attack and switch to, let's say DEF, once you start praising that you will be decreasing attack bit by bit every time you praise her in order to increase the DEF. After u have all 3 costumes, u get a final costume and from there you can put her back into whichever mode you want, and you won't lose them. As a matter of fact you never lose a special costume after unlocking it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Didn't see your message :eek:

Anyway, I ended up importing a copy anyway. Who knows, I might end up double dipping and see if I can sell my import. Ppl love them physical copies :D

I still have 2 JP LEs to sell off lol.

Yeah dont worry about it as others have mentioned you can build it back up proper, sides with the amount of time you will be spending with the game it will be taken care of eventually no sweat.

Pretty much everyone has no idea what the hell they are doing at start so dont feel like you were the only one lol. Hell I sure didnt know what I was doing with the PSP one initially, till I figured out the system.

That's a good point yeah, the only problem is that I would spend around 120€ then as I would need to buy SAO too of course but eh I've done worse this year already :p Plus it will be nice for for all the PS+ games I currently passed on :)

matmanx1

Next two weeks are going to be tough. I've recently watched the SAO movie and started on Season 2 on Crunchyroll so my interest is at an all time high. I've also gotten my work partner totally hooked on SAO to the point where he's looking at figma's for his room so his interest is just increasing mine.

Even so, I'm supporting the NA release. I hope we'll get the content update because the sales will be good enough to warrant it.

m@cross

Game is being reported as a mega grind type RPG similar to the traditional grind fest Asian RPGs. Anyone who has played it care to comment on the accuracy of that?

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
I spent 85 hours on the game and didn't grind at all. To get some of the better abilities and weapons you'll have to, but I cleared the Hollow Area nearly 100% outside of the difficult super bosses in each one. If you want to fully enjoy the content in the new patch you'll definitely have to grind, though.

Clearly you weren't around for the Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition, debacle, etc... Namco-Bandai really doesn't care very much about being good to their fans. :p

Stuart444

Game is being reported as a mega grind type RPG similar to the traditional grind fest Asian RPGs. Anyone who has played it care to comment on the accuracy of that?

Depends on what you want to do.

If you just want to play the story, you won't need to grind much at all.

If you want to get all trophies, max everything, etc then yes. You'll have relationship grinding, level grinding (I think there is a level 150 trophy I saw mentioned somewhere else?), etc.

That said the gameplay is quite fun imo so it may not even feel like grinding when you play it. Still if you're just in it for the story, you won't have to grind much though some bosses are easier if you grind but skill and correct use of sword skills/battle skills/items will make up for that.

This game man. I seriously tried to break away from it. I didn't touch it for 4 days. Playing it became more of a routine than anything over the past 2 months, I just thoughtlessly laid back after getting home from my lectures and began playing, until I realized that I was trying to stop doing so because of the huge wave of games incoming soon. It's making me wonderif I should cancel some, since I really just can't break away from SAO.

So yeah people, guess I'm back to it lol, I'll just try to juggle this with whatever else I get these upcoming weeks. The thirst for it was too strong, I cleared another Aincrad floor, now on floor 91, and explored a bunch of areas from the 3rd Hollow Area. Got myself a new Katana, score.

As a little side note, I'm one of those impatiently waiting for Destiny to drop (which GGO is not helping one bit with, with the whole FPS MMO theme going on). Exploring the Hollow Area quenches a bit of that thirst as it reminds me of the exploration bits from the Alpha/Beta. I will elaborate for those who don't own the SAO:HF (YET!). Although you don't have real humans, you will see NPCs battling the enemies, and you can go help them out or simply let them be much like in Destiny, in which you have random people that you don't know out in the fields doing their own thing, not to mention how you have enemies precisely positioned guarding and carrying loot. You have a bunch of skills that shape your character, and your armor? Every piece you own changes Kirito's appearance, much like the Guardian's in Destiny. Weapons have stats, as well as levels and skills of their own, again just like in Destiny in a way. There's more of these little things that help me with the wait, and in a way along with this being a friggin great game, that might also be why I can't stop playing.

Totally random near midnight thought, but I thought I should share it with those that are on the fence.

Nah it's really quick to get each stat done, and either way once u max out attack and switch to, let's say DEF, once you start praising that you will be decreasing attack bit by bit every time you praise her in order to increase the DEF. After u have all 3 costumes, u get a final costume and from there you can put her back into whichever mode you want, and you won't lose them. As a matter of fact you never lose a special costume after unlocking it.

Was not aware of this.....guess i should look into this tonight. I am still pretty confused about effective combat methods. Haha

Tried 76th floor boss, died after 1hp bar, didn't realise you lose if partner dies.
Figured out Phillia takes you on missions in hollow area so started doing those
Killed a level 128 NM Boss (i'm level 102), got crappy scimitar from chest ---> Sad :(

I am certainly figuring things out as i go along but man is it fun exploring, i have been trying to remember to check monsters before i engage rather than charge into the nasty surprise of missing something constantly and dying in 2 hits.

I think i am missing something pretty crucial about combat tho.....

Was not aware of this.....guess i should look into this tonight. I am still pretty confused about effective combat methods. Haha

Tried 76th floor boss, died after 1hp bar, didn't realise you lose if partner dies.
Figured out Phillia takes you on missions in hollow area so started doing those
Killed a level 128 NM Boss (i'm level 102), got crappy scimitar from chest ---> Sad :(

I am certainly figuring things out as i go along but man is it fun exploring, i have been trying to remember to check monsters before i engage rather than charge into the nasty surprise of missing something constantly and dying in 2 hits.

I think i am missing something pretty crucial about combat tho.....

In this game I learned everything that I know by playing and experimenting, along with the tips given by users from here. Any questions that you have send them our way. As I mentioned on my previous post, I probably won't be able to stop playing this any time soon aha!

Top Bottom