• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

rav

I've tried to search this thread for the answer to this question:
Will the NA release still have Japanese language options? (Vocals and text)

I might just import this for this reason alone, and maybe double dip on the digital NA release.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've tried to search this thread for the answer to this question:
Will the NA release still have Japanese language options? (Vocals and text)

I might just import this for this reason alone, and maybe double dip on the digital NA release.

Its the only language option. As in voice. There will be no dubbed version is what has been said before. Subtitled Eng + JP Voice.

No reason not to import it then, I'd rather have the physical copy.

Well keep in mind the Asian English version has a bit of a... odd English script that presumably isn't in the US/EU version though it's nothing gamebreaking and from the people in this thread they have been fixing the script with patches every now and then.

Stuart444

A reason to not import is to support niche vita titles from Bandai Namco (unless you plan on purchasing it when it comes out here as well like me)

If this fails, it means we might not get future SAO games (since we know they are working on one now) or other more niche Vita titles from Bamco.

Also I'd assume the English version won't have this like in the asian version (from earlier in the thread):

855542291.jpg

nynt9

What's the combat in this game like? Is it like hunting games, JRPGs or MMOs? I can't really tell from footage.

Parakeetman

What's the combat in this game like? Is it like hunting games, JRPGs or MMOs? I can't really tell from footage.

Closest thing would be semi-action MMO. (pseudo MMO that is)

Real damage output comes from weapon skills that need to be manually activated. They can be part of a button press combo, but its not an effective way to deploy the skills or SP efficient.

Watch this. It shows off an area later in the game / enemies, but nothing story related. Gives you a good idea of what the battle system / skill windows look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

You have the commands mapped to the buttons, then commands mapped to L1 + buttons then R1 + buttons, then a massive menu that is brought up by pressing L1 + R1. All of which you can see in the video.

nynt9

Watch this. It shows off an area later in the game / enemies, but nothing story related. Gives you a good idea of what the battle system / skill windows look like.

You have the commands mapped to the buttons, then commands mapped to L1 + buttons then R1 + buttons, then a massive menu that is brought up by pressing L1 + R1. All of which you can see in the video.

That looks cooler than I expected it to. Hype levels very slowly rising.

Parakeetman

Are levels mostly flat arenas like in generic hunting games or is there variety to them? Is it open-world or level based? Is there a hub area or towns?

Its area based as is multiple maps joined together to make a single area. Other areas are a larger entity of a map with multiple levels of elevation.

There is a single hub town, but most of your loot finding will come from the world itself and not from the 2 "barren" shops in town lol.

Its not a hunting game so you can take that out of your mind right now. :)

naeS

A reason to not import is to support niche vita titles from Bandai Namco (unless you plan on purchasing it when it comes out here as well like me)

If this fails, it means we might not get future SAO games (since we know they are working on one now) or other more niche Vita titles from Bamco.

Also I'd assume the English version won't have this like in the asian version (from earlier in the thread):

I might double dip then, but that script is hilarious.

nynt9

Its area based as is multiple maps joined together to make a single area. Other areas are a larger entity of a map with multiple levels of elevation.

There is a single hub town, but most of your loot finding will come from the world itself and not from the 2 "barren" shops in town lol.

Its not a hunting game so you can take that out of your mind right now. :)

h3D8087B4

its a waifu collection simulator disguised as a 'mmo' game

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Parakeetman

tumblr_kqsdispQ8d1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

I like the art style and that skill menu looks impressive.

Killing stuff higher level than you are due to knowing your skills and how to properly deploy them gives the player the same feeling as progressing in a Souls game. As its all because of your own skills / decision making within the game.

Closest thing would be semi-action MMO. (pseudo MMO that is)

Real damage output comes from weapon skills that need to be manually activated. They can be part of a button press combo, but its not an effective way to deploy the skills or SP efficient.

Diving into the deep-end with end-game stuff feels overwhelming, and i'm not sure that helped me understand the system much at all. :p

From what I am gathering, it looks like a close analog is FF12 or Xenoblade... is that fair?

What is the structure like? Is it PSO-esque in that i'll want to repeat areas hunting down loot, or is it more linear?

nynt9

Killing stuff higher level than you are due to knowing your skills and how to properly deploy them gives the player the same feeling as progressing in a Souls game. As its all because of your own skills / decision making within the game.

ok fine you got me dammit. will buy. but I don't want to spam the thread with more "want" images :p

Parakeetman

Diving into the deep-end with end-game stuff feels overwhelming, and i'm not sure that helped me understand the system much at all. :p

From what I am gathering, it looks like a close analog is FF12 or Xenoblade... is that fair?

What is the structure like? Is it PSO-esque in that i'll want to repeat areas hunting down loot, or is it more linear?

Its more linear in the sense that chests will pop in the same locations, but what they contain is semi randomized. Therefore you will have to exit the area totally to get them to reset before you try to hit em up again. But there are LOTS of areas to explore. Plus there is the 100+ floor dungeon, might be larger now. While its not much to look at the further down you go in the floors the better the potential loot gets which is all randomized as to what you find.

Hmm perhaps Xenoblade might be closer than FF12. Though still its different it its own way, which you should be able to see from watching the gameplay vids. The one I linked a few posts up is a pretty good example.

Parakeetman

ok fine you got me dammit. will buy. but I don't want to spam the thread with more "want" images :p

There is a "offline multiplayer" mode for those who cant do the adhoc MP. So what it is basically is you can take 3 other AI NPCs that you are friendly with and go explore the various areas in the game for exp and loot. Though the only main difference is they do not respond to the general partner NPC commands like when you normally are paired with a single partner. Therefore you need to pay more attention to their stats and watch over them.

But its amusing in its own way and good to level up multiple NPCs at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxirQmQkudc

Reason why the level there doesnt look interesting its the 100+ floor dungeon with randomized loot. Further you go the better potential items, but the monsters also get stronger. So not really suggested unless you have a ton of SP potions and a good number of the "passive" skills.

While this game calls some skills "passive" they really need to be activated. So its kinda odd. just keep that in mind when you hear that term thrown around here. For example ones I keep popping in the footage is the SP Max Up, SP Regen and SP Recovery along with EXP boost up, crit up, accuracy up. etc.

One important thing though if you have not watched the show up to episode 14 at least, do highly suggest it as this game takes place from literally ep 14.

Parakeetman

Your making me want to import instead of waiting

Already going to buy anyways

Truthfully Id say support your region. As a lost sale in your region works against you guys for future "non mainstream" titles to be localized.

Know its a hard thing to do waiting and not everyone can double dip, but strongly suggest holding out a little longer for the US version for those in the US.

That and you wont have to go creating another account for DLC which we all know isnt a fun thing to do on the Vita.

So how much content is missing from the US release? Last I heard the version we are getting is missing at least one BIG content patch.

Is that problem enough to warrant skipping the US version and getting the Engrish release?

Parakeetman

So how much content is missing from the US release? Last I heard the version we are getting is missing at least one BIG content patch.

Is that problem enough to warrant skipping the US version and getting the Engrish release?

You arent missing anything as all the original content is with the game on release. The asian version got the localized release of the content update and with the US market being larger would imagine that they are prepping it for the US too.

Though at the same time, if the game does not sell well, you can forget any potential future content updates Id imagine.

Since its an actual update and not DLC it should be coming out due to all the fixes and other additional content it contains. You will just have to wait and see. Since its not like the Asia stuff was announced all that much earlier before it went live.

Unless you are a real real hardcore physical copy collector, there is nothing wrong with the digital one as I have the digital physical versions and just move my save file around via PS+

kasane

Truthfully Id say support your region. As a lost sale in your region works against you guys for future "non mainstream" titles to be localized.

Know its a hard thing to do waiting and not everyone can double dip, but strongly suggest holding out a little longer for the US version for those in the US.

That and you wont have to go creating another account for DLC which we all know isnt a fun thing to do on the Vita.
Well i already have 2 vitas and 1 hk acc and another for na

I can double dip too if i really enjoy it

Parakeetman

Well i already have 2 vitas and 1 hk acc and another for na

I can double dip too if i really enjoy it

If thats your set up might as well go for it then, since I can assure you this game will most def give you your $$$ worth for time spent playing it. Just take it easy and enjoy dont try to go rushing through it.

Stuart444

I love that the movie section has the op of the anime/game in it. Love the op <3

Also I hear there is a hidden boss from a currently not animated arc who you face
after you beat the final boss and only if you have beaten the Hollow Fragment arc
and to get them as a character in NG+ you need to
get their health half way down at least.

For anyone interested, the character is
Yuuki from the Mother's Rosario arc according to the SAO wikia

Information obtained from gfaqs, I don't know if this stuff was officially released but since I didn't know about it, I just spoiler tagged stuff for other people who may not know about it and would rather stay spoiler free.

Sitrus

I love that the movie section has the op of the anime/game in it. Love the op <3

Also I hear there is a hidden boss from a currently not animated arc who you face
after you beat the final boss and only if you have beaten the Hollow Fragment arc
and to get them as a character in NG+ you need to
get their health half way down at least.

For anyone interested, the character is
Yuuki from the Mother's Rosario arc according to the SAO wikia

Information obtained from gfaqs, I don't know if this stuff was officially released but since I didn't know about it, I just spoiler tagged stuff for other people who may not know about it and would rather stay spoiler free.

Yup and
she
is awesome. As for the big patch, more developers should take note. This is how a patch should be.

Raxious

You arent missing anything as all the original content is with the game on release. The asian version got the localized release of the content update and with the US market being larger would imagine that they are prepping it for the US too.

Though at the same time, if the game does not sell well, you can forget any potential future content updates Id imagine.

Since its an actual update and not DLC it should be coming out due to all the fixes and other additional content it contains. You will just have to wait and see. Since its not like the Asia stuff was announced all that much earlier before it went live.

Unless you are a real real hardcore physical copy collector, there is nothing wrong with the digital one as I have the digital physical versions and just move my save file around via PS+

Part of me wants to wait, but when I see that they're releasing some Digimon game that no1 asked for, yet the one people have been hoping to get a westen release still isn't coming out here.

And the question remains on whether or not we're gonna get the content patch. True, it's a patch. But there's still no evidence that they're planning to release it. So I got a feeling I'll be ordering the asian version. I can still download the content patch on my EU account right?

Phlebas

Banned
Part of me wants to wait, but when I see that they're releasing some Digimon game that no1 asked for, yet the one people have been hoping to get a westen release still isn't coming out here.

And the question remains on whether or not we're gonna get the content patch. True, it's a patch. But there's still no evidence that they're planning to release it. So I got a feeling I'll be ordering the asian version. I can still download the content patch on my EU account right?

Yeah seems like the content patches will work through any PSN region account.

There was an interview in which SCAMCO-Bandai said they had no plans to work on the content update for the US release. I don't recall where I saw it, but some Google-fu should come up with it. Either way, they didn't sound like they were going to give us much support, if any.

Raxious

There was an interview in which SCAMCO-Bandai said they had no plans to work on the content update for the US release. I don't recall where I saw it, but some Google-fu should come up with it. Either way, they didn't sound like they were going to give us much support, if any.

Yea, they're 'considering' it.

"The update won’t be built into the Western release of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment," producer Yosuke Futami said in an interview with Siliconera. "We’re currently considering to bring the large scale update from Japan over."
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/0...nt-built-western-release/#4wMxxdYrMHu3eJUW.99

But honestly I'm not expecting it to ever come here.

TUSR

Banned
im going to buy the NA copy and if the DLC doesnt hit NA because of sales, ill just pick up a different version or something

im doing it for the waifus

St0rm

Neo Member
im going to buy the NA copy and if the DLC doesnt hit NA because of sales, ill just pick up a different version or something

im doing it for the waifus

You are a champ. This is my plan also.

Everyone should at least give the NA version and Namco a chance. They never said no to the patch. If they fail to deliver and you still like the game after playing the NA version (test it out to see if you like it, it will be cheaper than importing), you can import the Asian version.

Never bought a digital game before for retail price but this will be my first. Just looked over that import copies NA translation and it is horrible, I'll take my chance on the 19th.

Stuart444

I'll likely end up double dipping so I can support the region.

Are saves transferable between versions?

Unless someone has both a JP and Asia version, I don't know. Probably not though since the save is built into the application icon which will likely be different between versions.

Also yes this game will most likely be a full priced vita title.

I would encourage people who are defo getting the game to maybe tweet the Bandai Namco Twitters or post on their facebook about getting the content patch? Don't be rude but show your interest in wanting the update.

Remember, don't be rude but do mention something to show interest in wanting this update.

Better to try than not try after all.

Best case scenario: We get it within a month (like the Asian version which got it within a month) which I wouldn't mind lol. But we'll see, still a good few weeks til it comes out here anyway.

edit: Just tweeted the accounts myself. I can go back to pre-patch days but the patch just makes the game much better imo. (especially with the Implements, pre-patch, the requirements are insane)

Parakeetman

Unless someone has both a JP and Asia version, I don't know. Probably not though since the save is built into the application icon which will likely be different between versions.

Also yes this game will most likely be a full priced vita title.

I would encourage people who are defo getting the game to maybe tweet the Bandai Namco Twitters or post on their facebook about getting the content patch? Don't be rude but show your interest in wanting the update.

Remember, don't be rude but do mention something to show interest in wanting this update.

Better to try than not try after all.

Best case scenario: We get it within a month (like the Asian version which got it within a month) which I wouldn't mind lol. But we'll see, still a good few weeks til it comes out here anyway.

edit: Just tweeted the accounts myself. I can go back to pre-patch days but the patch just makes the game much better imo. (especially with the Implements, pre-patch, the requirements are insane)

truthfully though if you want to sell people on not having the patch from the get go you should be telling them that the game is perfectly fine and has a ton of content as is even without the patch eh? lol

My asian copy came in while I was at work today. Just finished setting up a HK PSN account and am downloading the patch + dlc. I would hold out for the NA version but...tomorrow is laundry day and I need something to drown out the Laundromat Telemundo. I'll probably end up buying the NA version for solidarity, brothers, but I got to get dem sheets clean for ma waifus.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
Would it be considered spoilers to post pictures of one of the new super skills acquired from the recent update in action? I have some epic pictures of it, but cannot spoiler them and don't want to break the rules. Thanks!

Parakeetman

Would it be considered spoilers to post pictures of one of the new super skills acquired from the recent update in action? I have some epic pictures of it, but cannot spoiler them and don't want to break the rules. Thanks!

Just put it as a non tagged image link and tell people to click at own risk.

Top Bottom