• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Thoraxes

I was gonna get this at launch, but I think i'll wait for the Vita TV to hit.

Between all the patch stuff and everything, it just makes sense for me to wait instead.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I was gonna get this at launch, but I think i'll wait for the Vita TV to hit.

Between all the patch stuff and everything, it just makes sense for me to wait instead.

Not really, since the game has a ton of content as is. Problem is people with all the noise being made is getting folks to think that without the patch that the game is incomplete which is far from the truth.

Ive put in 50 hours pre-patch to give you an idea. Thats more than what most games can do these days.

Do you have to watch the anime first to understand this game? The game looks interesting from the gameplay footage I saw but I heard the show isn't very good...

Parakeetman

Do you have to watch the anime first to understand this game? The game looks interesting from the gameplay footage I saw but I heard the show isn't very good...

Read the FAQ #4 in the OT. Even before that is the warning section which is at the top of the OT literally says watch up to Ep 14.

Parakeetman

Whoops, only watched the gameplay footage in the OP, srry. But I guess this game isn't for me then, or maybe after I watch the show someday.

The show the first half is actually not too bad. everything kinda falls apart with the 2nd half. this game continues off from the first half and pretends like the 2nd half never happened basically. A lot of folks generally think the same thing in regards to the show bout the 2nd half not being as good.

The show the first half is actually not too bad. everything kinda falls apart with the 2nd half. this game continues off from the first half and pretends like the 2nd half never happened basically.

Hmm maybe I'll watch the first half then to see if I like it. The whole MMO world stuff sounds interesting so maybe I'll like it after all. Thanks.

Parakeetman

Hmm maybe I'll watch the first half then to see if I like it. The whole MMO world stuff sounds interesting so maybe I'll like it after all. Thanks.

Yep hope you enjoy it. The first half also really does have some good scenes in it.

The game is most def worth getting if you enjoyed the series, since at least you will know whats going on with the story / characters. Since this does not feel like the usual "cash grab" type of anime licensed game at all.

Though the gameplay alone too is quite unique and lots of content within the title itself to really give the player their $$$ worth in gameplay time.

Raxious

Not really, since the game has a ton of content as is. Problem is people with all the noise being made is getting folks to think that without the patch that the game is incomplete which is far from the truth.

Ive put in 50 hours pre-patch to give you an idea. Thats more than what most games can do these days.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that the content update gives us 30+ hours of content. I'm guessing this is content that they never got ready for the release and that's the reason they're releasing it for free.

Also, if I have the chance to boost my game time from 50 hours to 80 hours I gladly take it.

Thoraxes

Given my list of games to buy from now till December, it's something like that which drops it on my list of priorities (given my backlog, I don't go back and revisit many games either). The same thing happened when they announced the PS4 Akiba's Trip too. Canceled that preorder and I'll still have Disgaea 4 and Xillia 2 to get through before Layton x AA and Danganronpa 2 hit shortly after.

Parakeetman

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that the content update gives us 30+ hours of content. I'm guessing this is content that they never got ready for the release and that's the reason they're releasing it for free.

Also, if I have the chance to boost my game time from 50 hours to 80 hours I gladly take it.

Thats 50 hours of me not advancing the story much mind you not to clear the game.

Seriously I think gamers these days are just spoiled to be brutally honest.

Thoraxes

Thats 50 hours of me not advancing the story much mind you not to clear the game.

Eh, I do the same thing with games that have DLC for the most part. I only buy them when a GOTY version comes out. Or wait till they iron out bugs and features to become better experiences. In this case i'd rather wait to play it for when they add the large content patch.

Another thing is that since it won't have that at launch, i'd like to wait and see how well they support the western release. Depending on how they do that, I may import a physical copy instead and get access to all that, which i'd totally be okay with too.

I have 60hrs all done pre patch and I'm still on floor 90 in Aincrad (you start on 76) and on area 3 of 5 in the Hollow Area. I'm level 121, and the enemies in the 3 new areas of the patch won't be taken down by anything lower than lvl 115 and up, without a good struggle and skill management.

In other words, you will have to play the game quite a bit in order to be able to go through the patch stuff without getting your ass handed to you. Sure, there are things that got fixed gameplay wise, but if I made it to the 60hr mark without them, that should be a good indicative that the vanilla game isn't broken or anything.

Raxious

It's not being spoiled, look at it this way:

Lets say the 'standard' play time for this game is 80 hours, seeing how you mentioned that you didn't progress the story a lot during those 50 hours.

If I buy the Asian version, I'll not only have access to those 80 hours, but I'll also have 30 hours worth of additional content to go through. So I'll have roughly 110+ hours.

If instead I'd wait for the EU release, i'll only have access to those 80 hours, and the chance of us actually getting that content patch is pretty damn small.

And spoiled?! Hell, if a game has 12+ hours of playing time it's a gift from heaven considering most games nowadays can be finished in 8 or less hours. So if there's a chance to get a game with 100+ hours, why not go for the better option?

Parakeetman

Lets say the 'standard' play time for this game is 80 hours, seeing how you mentioned that you didn't progress the story a lot during those 50 hours.

If I buy the Asian version, I'll not only have access to those 80 hours, but I'll also have 30 hours worth of additional content to go through. So I'll have roughly 110+ hours.

If instead I'd wait for the EU release, i'll only have access to those 80 hours, and the chance of us actually getting that content patch is pretty damn small.

And spoiled?! Hell, if a game has 12+ hours of playing time it's a gift from heaven considering most games nowadays can be finished in 8 or less hours. So if there's a chance to get a game with 100+ hours, why not go for the better option?

The attitude in general my notion towards most gamers these days still sits. And usually why I dont bother to participate in a lot of other threads lately. lol Im not exactly the most understanding / patient person when it comes to stuff like that.

Yeah I would imagine for at least the EU they would be using whatever the US got for English language anyways. Since it is such a large content update and they have seen the general reaction from folks and know that they are bleeding out potential customers by the minute who are going over to the Asian version I would have to imagine they would be announcing something soon. Otherwise be setting themselves up for lower than expected sales due to silence on the issue.

One thing for sure is that if the game doesnt sell well that its going to make it a lot harder for them to push for titles to be localized. So there is that to consider, its a real chicken & the egg type of stupid situation for all parties involved which includes the consumers.

With how the 2nd season of the anime is going on also now is what also has me to believe that they will be releasing the patch also to keep interest in the series going from a separate angle. The Asian version is proof that the content can exist with the English text, therefore the US / EU english language versions would be able to be created also, just the question is when was said work the project started if it has, since Id have to say for sure that the script would be different from the Asian English one.

Best thing you guys as consumers of a particular region can do is respectfully tweet said rep of the region for BanNam and tell them that basically the lack of information is driving you to considering buying another region copy. Eventually if there is enough word like that they would have to answer lest risk really lowering their own chances of sales. Which as stated already is happening so Im sure its not like they are unaware of the issue. Seems like these days the best way to attempt to get companies to move and do something is via social media with numbers. As long as once again as its done respectfully so that it does not come off like "fanboy ranting" which usually is shelved as the "internet" and not really taken seriously.

Raxious

The attitude in general my notion towards most gamers these days still sits. And usually why I dont bother to participate in a lot of other threads lately. lol Im not exactly the most understanding / patient person when it comes to stuff like that.

Yeah I would imagine for at least the EU they would be using whatever the US got for English language anyways. Since it is such a large content update and they have seen the general reaction from folks and know that they are bleeding out potential customers by the minute who are going over to the Asian version I would have to imagine they would be announcing something soon. Otherwise be setting themselves up for lower than expected sales due to silence on the issue.

One thing for sure is that if the game doesnt sell well that its going to make it a lot harder for them to push for titles to be localized. So there is that to consider, its a real chicken & the egg type of stupid situation for all parties involved which includes the consumers.

With how the 2nd season of the anime is going on also now is what also has me to believe that they will be releasing the patch also to keep interest in the series going from a separate angle. The Asian version is proof that the content can exist with the English text, therefore the US / EU english language versions would be able to be created also, just the question is when was said work the project started if it has, since Id have to say for sure that the script would be different from the Asian English one.

Best thing you guys as consumers of a particular region can do is respectfully tweet said rep of the region for BanNam and tell them that basically the lack of information is driving you to considering buying another region copy. Eventually if there is enough word like that they would have to answer lest risk really lowering their own chances of sales. Which as stated already is happening so Im sure its not like they are unaware of the issue. Seems like these days the best way to attempt to get companies to move and do something is via social media with numbers. As long as once again as its done respectfully so that it does not come off like "fanboy ranting" which usually is shelved as the "internet" and not really taken seriously.

Trust me, i've been contacting Namco about this, even a buddy of mine who works there. All they keep saying is "As of right now there are currently no plans".

Parakeetman

Trust me, i've been contacting Namco about this, even a buddy of mine who works there. All they keep saying is "As of right now there are currently no plans".

So thats for the Europe region then right? If thats the case then yeah I can see why you would want to import.

One of the other hard issues is that since its always the initial sales numbers that companies care about when making decisions if those are low Id imagine they would not be too keen on listening to any internal proposals for trying to push out the large content update with the situation having too many unknowns in terms of potential sales even if it was localized and released. If they did not already have it being worked on would be far too long of a gap where money would be bleeding out and by then chances are lots of folks would have gotten it from somewhere else first instead during said period of time.

RalchAC

Yep hope you enjoy it. The first half also really does have some good scenes in it.

The game is most def worth getting if you enjoyed the series, since at least you will know whats going on with the story / characters. Since this does not feel like the usual "cash grab" type of anime licensed game at all.

Though the gameplay alone too is quite unique and lots of content within the title itself to really give the player their $$$ worth in gameplay time.

As you've said, the first half is not that bad. Pacing is weird. But pacing in the books was quite weird too. It's some good mindless fun.

The second season is garbage IMO. I've reached most of the novels in Baka-Tsuki and the books 3 and 4 (second season in the anime) were by far the worst part in the series.

For what I remember GGO (new season, books 5 and 6) was fun and the other arc (book 7) was decent too. Haven't read most of the short stories or the latest stuff.

Is the patch releasing in English in Asia? And if you get the Asia version, will you get the patch even if you use another account? I don't know if those extra 30 hours are a free DLC (which wouldn't work) or a mandatory patch (which works with imports iirc).

Raxious

So thats for the Europe region then right? If thats the case then yeah I can see why you would want to import.

One of the other hard issues is that since its always the initial sales numbers that companies care about when making decisions if those are low Id imagine they would not be too keen on listening to any internal proposals for trying to push out the large content update with the situation having too many unknowns in terms of potential sales even if it was localized and released. If they did not already have it being worked on would be far too long of a gap where money would be bleeding out and by then chances are lots of folks would have gotten it from somewhere else first instead during said period of time.

Exactly, I know the producer said that they're currently considering it, but even that has no real meaning. And imo it's not like Namco is truly listening to it's fans. Digimon fans have been asking for that Vita and 3DS game for months now, and instead of giving us one of those we get some crappy SSB clone for consoles xD

Is the patch releasing in English in Asia? And if you get the Asia version, will you get the patch even if you use another account? I don't know if those extra 30 hours are a free DLC (which wouldn't work) or a mandatory patch (which works with imports iirc).

As far as I know it's considered a patch, so it's region free.

The patch released already, it's in English with a few odd sentences here and there, like the game itself.
No need to make an Asian account, patches are released through the game itself, not PSN, and none of the content is DLC, it's all in the ~600MB patch.

I have to agree. I know P-man has a blindspot for all things niche on Vita, but I still want to support good practices and not just blindly support a localized game because they graced us with MOST of it.

I want this game very much, and will be buying it... but its naive, and dare I say fanboy-biased to go... "Eh... people are blowing the last of content out of proportion... its ONLY thirty hours and major rebalances..."

Wha?

Parakeetman

As you've said, the first half is not that bad. Pacing is weird. But pacing in the books was quite weird too. It's some good mindless fun.

The second season is garbage IMO. I've reached most of the novels in Baka-Tsuki and the books 3 and 4 (second season in the anime) were by far the worst part in the series.

For what I remember GGO (new season, books 5 and 6) was fun and the other arc (book 7) was decent too. Haven't read most of the short stories or the latest stuff.

Yeah from what I understand its like the writer was not sure of what he wanted to do which does show with the story itself, but still overall the first half is pretty enjoyable. Yeah its an Update not DLC. Since it contains actual game fixes also.

The way the patching works is that regardless of what region account you have you should be able to acquire patches no problem for with how Sony has their database stuff set up from what Ive heard.

Parakeetman

Then I guess I'm just gonna order the Asian version today. What does the DLC on PSN actually give you?

If its the same as JP ones should be some costumes, items, and extra quests for the hollow area.

if they have the paid stuff it might be the swimsuits and other costume colors. not 100% sure on that have not checked PSN in a while now. But the first sentence is pretty much correct for what I remember initially existing.

Then I guess I'm just gonna order the Asian version today. What does the DLC on PSN actually give you?

Haven't checked myself but aside from the usual boost packs, armor, which the game truly is full of (armor is visible when given to a heroine) and I guess a few missions, which again the game is already full of.

Stuart444

Is there going to be a new OT for the ENG release? Since this has mostly been an import OT and all...

Anyway, I just faced a monster and lost, it's much tougher than the final bosses of the Hollow Fragment arc. A quest monster that appears at the start of Floor 94. Level 180.

Sinon got killed in one hit and I got killed in two hits. (two different tries there).

And my potion buffs don't last long enough to hit him for even one bar of his health. :/ guess this is the first quest I won't complete.

edit: ok, I spoke too soon, went for a different strategy.

loaded up on SP potions (used one of each), hit, dex, vit potions and even a HP potion. And Sword Dance. (basically whatever I could think of to use). Then eclipse + onslaught + parry = only got hit a few times.... and the AI was on heal their own arse duty

RalchAC

Yeah from what I understand its like the writer was not sure of what he wanted to do which does show with the story itself, but still overall the first half is pretty enjoyable. Yeah its an Update not DLC. Since it contains actual game fixes also.

The way the patching works is that regardless of what region account you have you should be able to acquire patches no problem for with how Sony has their database stuff set up from what Ive heard.

I'd say that Accel World is better than Sao story wise, for what I've seen so far. It holds up better even if it has its chunk of weird stuff.

Thanks for the comments about the patch guys! Hopefully they'll release the patch. They're pretty much asking people to import it.

Parakeetman

I'd say that Accel World is better than Sao story wise, for what I've seen so far. It holds up better even if it has its chunk of weird stuff.

Thanks for the comments about the patch guys! Hopefully they'll release the patch. They're pretty much asking people to import it.

Its far more focused since its not trying the harem angle at the same time. But thats all discussions for another thread lol

I think what Bamco should do now in order to stop everyone from importing is confirm that the patch is coming. Give a timeframe, a nod, anything. I mean I bought the Asian version a while ago but for the people that are still deciding, that patch is what makes everyone want to join us on the "dark side".

As much as I want to tell everyone to buy the US version, I'd be a hypocrite. It's your money, I did my part laying the truth out, I gave my impressions on the patch and I'll be honest, it is quite substantial. It adds a lot of content and changes the game for the better. It's obvious why some would rather import but then there's the fact that if people don't buy the game here, we might never see the series here again... So conflicting.

Parakeetman

Will the US release have a different English translation than the Asian version?

If they want people to take the game seriously and not get destroyed in reviews for a bad "script" then yes.

More than likely the US and Asia side both have their own budgets / proposals for the game itself. Which would also include localization work. Ive personally seen for Asia related projects they dont care as much as 100% correct english as long as the message gets across as its not native speakers playing the game for the most part, though for US / UK related things for example yeah you dont want a bunch of obvious mistakes in the text or things that a native speaker would not say for the most part.

Raxious

I think what Bamco should do now in order to stop everyone from importing is confirm that the patch is coming. Give a timeframe, a nod, anything. I mean I bought the Asian version a while ago but for the people that are still deciding, that patch is what makes everyone want to join us on the "dark side".

As much as I want to tell everyone to buy the US version, I'd be a hypocrite. It's your money, I did my part laying the truth out, I gave my impressions on the patch and I'll be honest, it is quite substantial. It adds a lot of content and changes the game for the better. It's obvious why some would rather import but then there's the fact that if people don't buy the game here, we might never see the series here again... So conflicting.

If they'd only react to Facebook / Twitter. Usually they completely ignore :(

Parakeetman

One of the Namco Europe reps said that it would have an original translation, so I'd assume that's the one the US version will be using as well.

considering that generally FIGS for the major european languages that get localized those are usually based off of the US english master text.

with that being said its why you dont want a shoddy master text to work off of as it will effect all other languages

Ordered my asian copy, hopefully I'll have it next week.
Depending on which type of shipping you picked, if you picked express, you should get it a day or two after it is sent to you. If you didn't... Well we have folks here that have been waiting for longer than a month lol, so there's no in between.

HIR0

I must say, I'm having a lot of fun with this game.
I'm getting my ass kicked less.
Currently level 114 (was level 116 before I challenged and got murdered by the lvl 149 dual wielding amour-clad nm crocodile-looking boss in the treasure area).

Beat the first area boss in the hollow area which was really easy.

This game will give you your money's worth whether you decide to purchase the Asian version or the localized version. I've played 22 hours with the majority of my time spent in the hollow area and I'm still on floor 76.

This could surpass the playing time for my first run through of Persona 4 Golden which I think was around 70 hours.

Parakeetman

I must say, I'm having a lot of fun with this game.
I'm getting my ass kicked less.
Currently level 114 (was level 116 before I challenged and got murdered by the lvl 149 dual wielding amour-clad nm crocodile-looking boss in the treasure area).

Beat the first area boss in the hollow area which was really easy.

This game will give you your money's worth whether you decide to purchase the Asian version or the localized version. I've played 22 hours with the majority of my time spent in the hollow area and I'm still on floor 76.

This could surpass the playing time for my first run through of Persona 4 Golden which I think was around 70 hours.

Pretty much since even the first hollow area itself has sections that are quite high level so you could literally spend a ton of time there alone. Then theres the other areas too. And the combat is always kept amusing and when one gets bored of roflstomping things too easy find something way higher than yourself and fight it. You can come away with some pretty good treasure that way.

Stuart444

Question: Can i play this Game without knowing anything about the Anime?

Yes but it is highly recommended that you watch the first 14 episodes of the anime. You'll get more out of the characters and the events imo but you do get a bare bones explanation if you really don't want to watch the first 14 eps.

TheRook

It's Free DLC:

Don't know where to get an asian link (if they even have a web store) but there it is on the JPN store anyway.

Thanks for that, I hope the localized version of the game gets it. I've been thinking about getting the asian version but I want to put faith in NA/Bamco so I'm going to wait on it. At least if I wait to see how NA's Bamco handles it I'll still have the option to get the Asian version later if the worse possible outcome does happen and we don't get the game supported after release.

Still, I'm pretty excited to download this later in the month. Akiba's Trip will hold me over.

Stuart444

Thanks for that, I hope the localized version of the game gets it. I've been thinking about getting the asian version but I want to put faith in NA/Bamco so I'm going to wait on it. At least if I wait to see how NA's Bamco handles it I'll still have the option to get the Asian version later if the worse possible outcome does happen and we don't get the game supported after release.

Still, I'm pretty excited to download this later in the month. Akiba's Trip will hold me over.

I'm sure they will. :) but yeah if they don't support it for whatever reason, you still have the option to get the asian version so it's not all bad.

Anyway, just completed the game myself. The fight against the hidden boss,
Yuuki
was also tons of fun imo. Especially with the battleground being
the area where Asuna and Kirito are at the end of episode 14.

This is what I've done before finishing the game (and still spent 70+ hours on this game):

Completed the Hollow Area
Had some random SP multiplayer fun
Went and saw Sachi and used her a little
Completed every quest from the quest board
Maxed out Asuna's relationship
Random Events that I found (I hardly used the Event list until the update where it pops up on it's own now)
Faced the secret boss who you can use on NG+

What I haven't done:

Maxed out everyone's relationships
Gotten all Endings
Completed the Sachi events I think. (once you unlock her, you need to go do something with her I think?)
Unlocked another character who you can apparently unlock in Hollow Area (Kibaou?)
All the patch 1.05 stuff

And maybe more but that's what I can remember just now.

This is just to give an idea exactly how much content there is even without the patch. 70+ hours play time and I still have loads to do.

Top Bottom