• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

I am level 108 now, cleared the floor 76 boss and am ready to tackle the one on 77.

I have really been enjoying exploring the hollow areas and did 2 main things last night that were very challenging but also super rewarding.

Frist
I followed a mission and ended up killing 2 hard bosses both around level 130 guarding loot then a trio of bosses (slime/knight/statue) I had to change weapons for each but I got some awesome loot from them and have replaced 2 main swords now.
Secondly
I beat the area boss shadow dog which was an awesome fight, not as challenging as the F76 boss though i thought. Did I need to do something with Phillia in the area after its dead? got confused about the amulet shining etc.

As i side note i have been levelling all of the other weapon types, some are surprisingly enjoyable (i usually hate using more than 1 setup) because you can really "feel" the difference of effect when you use the burst skills and the different attack speeds in combat. Fantastic design on this.

Took 3 hours of constant retries and different builds and thinking outside of the box, but thanks to a little strategic skill management I was finally able to beat the lvl 180 side quest boss on floor
. I am lvl 123 and Sinon, my heroine of choice, 117. So we were pretty under leveled. Needless to say, it was fucking awesome.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its great to see a bunch of new folks enjoying the game and livin the dream lol.

Keep it up and looks like there will be even more of you maniacs soon seeing how others are starting to purchase the import copies too.

All of this has got to be due to the second season going live breathing interest back into the series itself.

so a couple questions, I read the OP but didn't see any answers

do you play as Kirito or anyone on the character list, or can you make your own character?
Also is this game mulitplayer?

Parakeetman

so a couple questions, I read the OP but didn't see any answers

do you play as Kirito or anyone on the character list, or can you make your own character?
Also is this game mulitplayer?

You play as Kirito all references to your player will be voiced as Kirito. You can change the appearance of your character but not gender. Example below.
mDLQBrB.png

Multiplayer is ad-hoc only with 3 other players.

You play as Kirito all references to your player will be voiced as Kirito. You can change the appearance of your character but not gender.

Multiplayer is ad-hoc only with 3 other players.

ok thanks. would have liked to create my own character but whatever still looks fun

Parakeetman

ok thanks. would have liked to create my own character but whatever still looks fun

You can play a "pseudo offline" MP mode using 3 other AI NPCs which is pretty cool. Only downside to that is you cant give them commands on what to do. Which also includes gaining SP from praising their actions. So just keep that in mind when trying it out as you will have to be a lot more attentive to your SP consumption. Though any NPCs taken with you gain EXP along with your main character. So thats a huge plus if you want to level multiple characters at once. Though the partner EXP boost I do believe does not work when doing the Offline MP mode. Actually Im not 100% sure if it does or does not. No wikis have confirmed it that Ive seen. But for standard play am pretty sure that if you use the player exp bonus + the partner bonus the bonus exp from the player exp boost is added to the exp that is funneled to your partner. Which is why with other vids you might see me having both EXP boosts on.

Example vid. Click on image to view vid.
*This video shows the "endless" dungeon its like 100 floors or something I think? which is why its not much to look at. But you can also go to the hollow area with your party and wander around there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxirQmQkudc

Took 3 hours of constant retries and different builds and thinking outside of the box, but thanks to a little strategic skill management I was finally able to beat the lvl 180 side quest boss on floor
. I am lvl 123 and Sinon, my heroine of choice, 117. So we were pretty under leveled. Needless to say, it was fucking awesome.

Nice work. I look forward to the challenge. I'm using a mix of Sinon and Asuna.
I aim to clear 3 floors tonight and sit on 80 for a bit while I enjoy some more hollow area content.

Its great to see a bunch of new folks enjoying the game and livin the dream lol.

Keep it up and looks like there will be even more of you maniacs soon seeing how others are starting to purchase the import copies too.

All of this has got to be due to the second season going live breathing interest back into the series itself.

Back when I started playing it was just a few of us, now I go to my lectures, come back home and I see that there's a whole new page of comments to read, it's awesome.
And GGO is friggen dope, so I could see that being one of the reasons.

Nice work. I look forward to the challenge. I'm using a mix of Sinon and Asuna.
I aim to clear 3 floors tonight and sit on 80 for a bit while I enjoy some more hollow area content.

I like Sinon not only cuz she plays a SPOILERS Dagger
and bow rogue combo
but because her personality is almost like her own from the show. All the other girls only think about Kirito in this game. She however, keeps her cool and doesn't go crazy love struck whenever she has an event with him. She feels the least "fan servicey" to me.

Parakeetman

Back when I started playing it was just a few of us, now I go to my lectures, come back home and I see that there's a whole new page of comments to read, it's awesome.
And GGO is friggen dope, so I could see that being one of the reasons.

I like Sinon not only cuz she plays a SPOILERS Dagger
and bow rogue combo
but because her personality is almost like her own from the show. All the other girls only think about Kirito. She keeps her cool, and doesn't go crazy love struck whenever she has an event with him. She feels the least "fan servicey" to me.

Im sad that Argo is another dagger user. Would have been nice if she used a katana just for the hell of it lol. Or had her own unique type of weapon. Since way too many dagger users in the game. D:

Im sad that Argo is another dagger user. Would have been nice if she used a katana just for the hell of it lol. Or had her own unique type of weapon like our friend
Sinon and her bow
. Since way too many dagger users in the game. D:

Or if she had a weapon type of her own. Only Klein rocks the Katana, or if you are me, Kirito as well :p Katana's make the world go round people, bleed AOE skills, with high AGI and Dodge, no enemies can stop you (aside from stuff in higher levels than you of course).

Or if she had a weapon type of her own. Only Klein rocks the Katana, or if you are me, Kirito as well :p Katana's make the world go round people, bleed AOE skills, with high AGI and Dodge, no enemies can stop you (aside from stuff in higher levels than you of course).

haha I agree with the lack of fan service with sinon and it is good, not that i properly noticed till you just pointed it out.
I think i will end up dual wielding because i am that type of guy. Can you level Shields at all or are they just an add on to using a 1 hander?

For sinon, does she use a
bow
later on? or is that just in her skillset
(didn't think there were ranged weapons in SAO but cool if they adapted that in from GGO)

Parakeetman

Its a damned shame since the katana when used right can do some serious damage due to the bleeding = risk raised = higher damage taken

Stuart444

Yeah, the 180 side quest bosses were tough, the
spider one was the worst due to poison
. Ultimately Eclipse helped me alot though with the boss which I spoiler tagged, I had to run away a lot and heal during his longer animations (so fast, made it hard to parry at times when I didn't know when he would attack and when he did, it was very quick)

Parakeetman

haha I agree with the lack of fan service with sinon and it is good, not that i properly noticed till you just pointed it out.
I think i will end up dual wielding because i am that type of guy. Can you level Shields at all or are they just an add on to using a 1 hander?

bow
(didn't think there were ranged weapons in SAO but cool if they adapted that in from GGO)

there is a bow but she wont be able to use it until you advance the story more in aincrad

no shield skill it just adds whatever stats said shield has to the player. though there are some skills that can only be activated when the player has a shield equipped though

bow

I don't know if it's done on purpose or not but it makes me like her even more. Out of all the girls in the game that is, cuz this infatuation with Kirito isn't really reflected the same way on the show. No levelling for shields and yep, she does, because she
comes from GGO, where she plays as a sniper

Its a damned shame since the katana when used right can do some serious damage due to the bleeding = risk raised = higher damage taken

We gotta slowly teach these youngins the way of the sword partner. We shall convert them all.

Yeah, the 180 side quest bosses were tough, the
spider one was the worst due to poison
. Ultimately Eclipse helped me alot though with the boss which I spoiler tagged, I had to run away a lot and heal during his longer animations (so fast, made it hard to parry at times when I didn't know when he would attack and when he did, it was very quick)

Funnily enough the fight that I was talking about was that same one that you just mentioned. Goddamned thing put up a good fight, toughest one I've had so far, for sure.

Parakeetman

Its also disappointing that there is no female axe or spear user too. Would have been nice to have had 2 other special characters included in the game for different weapon type combinations with the player.

Stuart444

Funnily enough the fight that I was talking about was that same one that you just mentioned. Goddamned thing put up a good fight, toughest one I've had so far, for sure.

Toughest monster I've fought in the game. I died more to him than I have to anyone.

Hell, I came so close to beating him several times before I won. Think a Dungeon/Raid where you get the boss to the last sliver of health.

BAM, dead. Hurt so much :(

Parakeetman

Toughest monster I've fought in the game. I died more to him than I have to anyone.

Hell, I came so close to beating him several times before I won. Think a Dungeon/Raid where you get the boss to the last sliver of health.

When I still had time to play I would always run in and out of zones to save my progress / loot I gained lol

Phlebas

Banned
I've only just gotten through the very first area after the intro.

In the endless dungeon video you activate skills from your list without equipping them, I'm guessing its Triangle to use? I don't have the game with me right now.

Parakeetman

I've only just gotten through the very first area after the intro.

In the endless dungeon video you activate skills from your list without equipping them, I'm guessing its Triangle to use? I don't have the game with me right now.

Thats the main skill window its brought up with LT + RT

Took me close to 3 hours to beat it. I don't think I ever put as much thought into what skills to use at what time, together with SP management, commands for Sinon for avoiding its AOE attacks, myself included, consider the area of damage and poisoning, etc, etc, etc, it was chaotic. I don't want to go too much in depth into my final strategy because I feel like I'd scare away our newcomers lol.

I would say it was my favorite fight of them all. But hell, I don't want to do it ever again lol.

Parakeetman

Oh right thanks.

When would I get access to the endless dungeon?

You should be able to use it once you have the hollow area unlocked.

I forgot if you start the offline MP mode from that terminal or the one in the town square. One of those will have the MP mode. But I know to get to that area am pretty sure its through the hollow area terminal.

The enemies in there get pretty strong and fast. Plus I dont suggest going in there unless you have the SP skills unlocked from the Rapier. That and a bunch of SP potions to use. As with the amount of constant fights that will occur you will most def run out of SP. So just consider that before going!

Stuart444

When I still had time to play I would always run in and out of zones to save my progress / loot I gained lol

Haha, this was one boss that was literally outside the city zone so I didn't have any loot to lose. Just 2 bars of enemy health that takes an age to go down haha.

Despite that, the feeling of accomplishment when I did win was AWESOME

Parakeetman

Haha, this was one boss that was literally outside the city zone so I didn't have any loot to lose. Just 2 bars of enemy health that takes an age to go down haha.

Despite that, the feeling of accomplishment when I did win was AWESOME

By far this game has one of the best combat systems ever and really does give you the sense of its all you win or lose. they seriously need to reboot the .Hack series using this engine / system.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Have they fixed the framerate issues in some areas and the special attack animations which looked weird and slow?

Have they fixed the framerate issues in some areas and the special attack animations which looked weird and slow?

The big patch fixed a bunch of stuff, issues like those were fixed for the most part yeah. For example the fps dips that u got when switching areas in the main city are now gone, same on the field. I have yet to experience the same technical issues as before the patch.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wait, so attacks don't look weird-weak now? Interesting! Are there any post-patch gameplay videos?

Wait, so attacks don't look weird-weak now? Interesting! Are there any post-patch gameplay videos?

Quite frankly if u own the game ur better off downloading it and trying it out. There's just so many things, both big and small that got changed that you will notice right away as you play.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Quite frankly if u own the game ur better off downloading it and trying it out. There's just so many things, both big and small that got changed that you will notice right away as you play.
I bought a retail copy and sold it after a few days.

Parakeetman

Hasemo, Hasemoing~  ギャハハハ!!☆ミヾ(∇≦((ヾ(≧∇≦)〃))≧∇)ノ彡☆バンバン!!

Ouch touché. Well my point still stands firm, there is a video on YouTube but it is in Japanese. It pretty much lists what comes in the patch (thing was half a gig, bigger than some games alone) and it really only changed the game for the better. Everything about it is much smoother now, quicker, and balanced as well. It also added new events and areas ^

Stuart444

Only slowdown I get really is when I come out of Agil's and there is a lot of people there (more than in either of the other areas in town)

Besides that, I don't see too many FPS drops, at least nothing major anyway.

Parakeetman

Only slowdown I get really is when I come out of Agil's and there is a lot of people there (more than in either of the other areas in town)

Besides that, I don't see too many FPS drops, at least nothing major anyway.

Game will slowdown slightly too if you kill a ton of enemies at once with an area effect attack, such as what the 2HS / Axe has. Due to the enemies shattering effect.

Truthfully for those who are worrying about FPS and such on a handheld system, then perhaps its time to not play on handhelds anymore is what my general stance and comment is to those who concern themselves with such things. As long as its not a slideshow, seriously non issue.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
So, I thought I was done with the game. I ended up at Level 130, 309 Attack and 511 Defense. There was some stuff I never did that I had wanted to. I didn't beat the Rank 3 Boss of the first Hollow Area. Hadn't beaten a single one of the new Level 200 or so NMs from the update. And I also hadn't tried out Dual Swords yet. (Used Scimitar nearly the entire game)

Then, a GameFaqs user made a guide mentioning the
Risk Breaker, a charm that raises Attack 250 at the expense of 75 Defense and increased Risk.
I immediately went after it, and after an hour of attempting to get it as a rare loot drop from a blue chest, I had it. One problem...it lowered Vitality by 40, and my old charm was +40 Vitality. My Vitality based skill only did 10% more damage with 15% worse defense. I knew what I must do.

I still needed to raise my Dual Swords to 800 skill points to unlock the skill I wanted. I decided to practice on the Rank 3 Boss, in hopes of raising the level, whereupon I would teleport away, and then take on the boss for real with the better skill. Except...it didn't work out that way. I ended up dominating the boss, accomplishing one of my goals.

Next up was raising it the rest of the way to 800. I did, and the skill did 300K damage vs. the bees in Floor 76. My Scimitar, which was Hit based (380 Hit!) only did 110K. And the new skill had no stars!

At this point I had only one issue: Hit: I was around 290. I had to be around 350 (What I was with my Scimitar) to take on the new enemies and bosses in the update and be able to hit them without missing all the time. 290 simply wasn't enough. Then it dawned on me: Try the Sacred Sword Resting place.

Before I had barely beaten the ten minute timeline. This time, with my new equipment (And no OSS, as I only found out about it at around hour 80 of 85 and didn't want to take the time to implement it with only a few things left to do in the game) I won in less than three, and got
Ragnarok.
I now did nearly 400K damage per skill, and with five upgrades raised Dex from +50 to +100. With that I can finally accomplish my ultimate goal, taking on the bosses of the new update. My defense has gone down 150, my attack up 350, and my actual damage done has been multiplied by 4. And I've only gained one level!

So far I've attempted to take on the
Hydra-like boss in the Volcanic area
Died twice, each time getting it to 2/5th health. Definitely winnable, just very difficult due to its attack patterns. Question to those who've played the update. Are the other level 200 NMs easier or harder than the
hydra?
The
knight with four legs surrounded by the lesser knights, also in the Volcanic area
seemed rather easy in comparison, and I halved its health with my old weapon that's 4x weaker than my current one. And that reminds me. Need to get a star on my new skill. 400K to 500K damage!

isshak_gravi

Bandai Namco Europe and Australasia Community Manager for Tales, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece
great to see you watching out for all the EU fans here with the constant updates. thank you for the continued pisting in the OT :)

I do my best! But sometimes I just can't give info until I'm allowed to, I hope fans realize that if I could tell you everything I totally would.

isshak_gravi

Bandai Namco Europe and Australasia Community Manager for Tales, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece
All I can ask really is please don't charge extra for Canadian's.

I'm the European CM! I'll have info for the European price but not the other countries.

Which will be: 39.99 euros. Sounds like a fair price to me but, you know, people are never happy :p
No new info concerning the patch, but I promise your patience will be rewarded soon! (disclaimer: this is not confirmation of getting or not getting it).
EDIT: so sorry for that double post...

Parakeetman

I do my best! But sometimes I just can't give info until I'm allowed to, I hope fans realize that if I could tell you everything I totally would.

Im sure everyone here understands that, but as you can see most def everyone appreciates the information! So once again on the behalf of everyone thank you for constantly keeping everyone updated! :)

Dont worry about double posts in my threads, since I do it all the time by accident lol.

Yui

I'm the European CM! I'll have info for the European price but not the other countries.

Which will be: 39.99 euros.

Fine with me. And now I just need a time machine to play it. (and Xillia 2 like two days later ^^")
And yeah, thanks a lot for all the updates in here.

Parakeetman

Fine with me. And now I just need a time machine to play it. (and Xillia 2 like two days later ^^")
And yeah, thanks a lot for all the updates in here.

Indeed I would say thats a fair price considering how much content the game has. Most def the player will be getting their $$$ worth.

Raxious

Which will be: 39.99 euros. Sounds like a fair price to me but, you know, people are never happy :p
No new info concerning the patch, but I promise your patience will be rewarded soon! (disclaimer: this is not confirmation of getting or not getting it).
EDIT: so sorry for that double post...

I shall be the one who's slightly disappointed with this price :p Considering it's Digital only I would have preferred if the price was 29,99 - 34,99.

Mendrox

Retail release for 39.99 - 44.99 would have been ok... but the same price for the digital version is quiet a bummer. Sad thing is that I will have to buy it because I want to support future releases. Awh, I am really sad lol.

garath

Waiting for the US price but I expect it will be similar. $39.99 pretty likely.

I was also hoping for a little lower but it is what it is.

Top Bottom