• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

antibolo

Banned
Do we know about the voice options for the western versions? (Japanese, English, or dual?)

I don't remember any official confirmation.

Sigh, I can't seem to enjoy fighting bigger monsters, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

I only got home now. I wanted to reply but typing on my phone can lead to some auto-correct jankiness so let's see if I can help you out, I'll go in the same order as your posts:

>Yes press O, but don't do it when your burst bar at the bottom of your screen is depleted. Not only will it raise your heat level, it'll also do less damage. Use skills if you have SP, or don't press anything so you can Auto-attack and regain the burst bar back! (which segways nicely with the next question)
> Heat level is 5? SWITCH!
> DO NOT SPAM GOOD! Your goal is to nurture the AI, not only to raise specific stats but to also make those specific actions that you say "Nice" to happen with more occurrence, what you are telling her now when you say "nice" all the time is that every action that she makes is good! That's bad!!! Before you get into any battles, talk to her and change her fighting style to ATK, BUFF, or DEF. From there, let's say you choose to pursue attack. Use the Heroine command wheel and ask her to perform skills (for example) in your fights. After doing so if you see "Atk Skill" on the bottom left, you will want to say "Nice"! By doing this you will be telling the AI "this is exactly what I want you to do when I ask you to perform a skill". If you are nurturing attack you don't want to say nice to anything else but that. Not only will this make the parameter that you chose level up faster, since you are focusing on it, it'll unlock that particular costume faster as well!
>Last two you got correctly!

That's it I think. If anyone wants to add on to this list, you are welcome to, but this one already a bit longish aha, sorry about that. Hope it helps you and that you enjoy the game more Hasemo!

Anyone have any advice gear-wise/skill wise?

Hollow Fragment 5th part kicking my butt.
2nd encounter in the map area with that poison spewing queen

Can't help but feel I might be a bit underleveled at lvl 118...which weapons do you guys usually go for? I really want to try Great Sword, but the lowered acc makes it a pain to use whenever the 100% hit skill is on cooldown.

To use the lingo, it's a remaster, "definitive" version of that PSP game. Slightly upscaled graphics, improve user interface, more options for you to interact more with your "waifus" of choice. Hollow Fragment is this additional sprawling area with its self contained story that is added to it.

So the PSP game=clear floors, Hollow Fragment=additional area you can go to for higher level monsters/more gears etc. They are both accessed from the central teleport stone.

ah ok got it thanks

Yes ATK is a good start because it is fairly easy to get it filled.

BUFF too since even when you ask a heroine to use a skill, rather than to block specials (which when you pick buff would be ideal) she will still use some buff actions, mixed up with atk.

Now DEF? That takes the longest. In order to level that up you will need to ask the Heroine to actually defend, heal, or to become the bait. Asking her to perform a skill when you pick DEF, more often than not will result in what I call a "Null action" in which she performs a special skill, but it doesn't belong to neither of the 3 stats. You can praise it, but it won't raise any of characteristics...

MSMrRound

Defense can be raised more quickly via the "Guard" command or threats commands which shift the focus of enemies over to them via skills such as "duel shout".

Buff (or support) skills typically I rely on "Stop sword skill" command using which they will stun the enemy, or simply spam sword skill till they pull out the Buff-type. Take note of what your companion is saying. If they ask you to stun the monster, do so. Their follow-up e.g Sonic Resonance is usually a supportive-type as well.

Yea, don't praise if you don't see the AI using your ideal skill type.

Also...how are costume conditions filled? Just have them fill out the ATT/DEF/BUFF to a minimum of maximum two categories e.g Buff-> Stun+Sword Skill usage category?

Also...how are costume conditions filled? Just have them fill out the ATT/DEF/BUFF to a minimum of maximum two categories e.g Buff-> Stun+Sword Skill usage category?

If you go look at your character's stats you'll see 3 different shapes for each stat. Inside those shapes you'll see a smaller grey shape. your goal is to get one of the 5 (or 4?) substats from the main stat to go over that shape. Once it's done, you'll have that costume forever, and you can just change your Heroine's attacking style to something else to unlock the next one. Once you have all 3, the 4th and last one unlocks.

Raxious

I
> DO NOT SPAM GOOD! Your goal is to nurture the AI, not only to raise specific stats but to also make those specific actions that you say "Nice" to happen with more occurrence, what you are telling her now when you say "nice" all the time is that every action that she makes is good! That's bad!!! Before you get into any battles, talk to her and change her fighting style to ATK, BUFF, or DEF. From there, let's say you choose to pursue attack. Use the Heroine command wheel and ask her to perform skills (for example) in your fights. After doing so if you see "Atk Skill" on the bottom left, you will want to say "Nice"! By doing this you will be telling the AI "this is exactly what I want you to do when I ask you to perform a skill". If you are nurturing attack you don't want to say nice to anything else but that. Not only will this make the parameter that you chose level up faster, since you are focusing on it, it'll unlock that particular costume faster as well!

Wait, so it's bad to press ""Great" whenever I have a chance? So far it's been helping me a lot. I never run out of SP during boss fights.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wait, so it's bad to press ""Great" whenever I have a chance? So far it's been helping me a lot. I never run out of SP during boss fights.

if you are trying to make a specific AI type than it is not suggested. if you dont care about that or the extra costumes spam away!

MSMrRound

It helps with SP regain, but when you want to unlock costumes, it becomes a big pain in the butt trying to nurture the AIs to the specific growth path that you want to, since they are already accustomed to using a wide variety of skills.

A well nurtured AI will do the same, give you SP and level up faster. Whenever you ask her to do a skill, she will 80-90% of the time use one from her battle style, let's say ATK. You say nice to that, you will gain SP and make her level up faster.

You obviously don't need to nurture the AI, but if I can fight bosses that are 50+ levels above me, in part, is thanks to my Heroine and me knowing safely that she will do what I ask her to do when I bring up her command wheel.

To use the lingo, it's a remaster, "definitive" version of that PSP game. Slightly upscaled graphics, improve user interface, more options for you to interact more with your "waifus" of choice. Hollow Fragment is this additional sprawling area with its self contained story that is added to it.

So the PSP game=clear floors, Hollow Fragment=additional area you can go to for higher level monsters/more gears etc. They are both accessed from the central teleport stone.

So, should I play the PSP game first? I wasn't planning on even touching it, but the way you describe it, it seems like they should be played in order.

Also, are we even sure that this is actually releasing next week in NA? There is literally no mention of it anywhere...nothing on the PS Blog, etc. I'm starting to become skeptical.

Parakeetman

So, should I play the PSP game first? I wasn't planning on even touching it, but the way you describe it, it seems like they should be played in order.

Also, are we even sure that this is actually releasing next week in NA? There is literally no mention of it anywhere...nothing on the PS Blog, etc. I'm starting to become skeptical.

Dont touch the PSP game since the Vita game is a remake of the PSP one.

The initial news the west was trying to give out was incorrect making it sound like its something different from Hollow Fragment. The only real difference for the most part are 3 things. Some of the early events are shortened / compressed, tutorial is different and the way the combat and UI works is completely redone.

The game is still Infinity Moment just that it also has the Hollow Fragment content included.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Let us know how the English translation is compared to the Asian version if you can. That's what bothered me the most about the import copy.

I can't speak about the Asian version since I never played it but... There are still some typos here and there and the words run off the screen... Otherwise, this is more or less a competent localization. Some lines feel awkward and crap but I'm enjoying it. I do think my 2 hour impression of the game has been mostly grindy which isn't the best thing in the world and the way the skills take up so much SP is annoying. However, there are systems in place to compensate for that. I'm not sure why but the mechanics work well. The part that really really annoys me is how cluttered the screen can get so sometimes it's hard to know when to JF shit.

darkwing

Hey guys! Sorry I'm like super busy with Gamescom BUT I wanted to share the good news with you: YES (finallly) we are getting the patch! And we'll have free DLC on launch day (and more DLC to come). Here's the quote from the press release:
"For fans who will want even more Sword Art Online excitement, a major update will be available after launch on September 24th to extend the already-thrilling and plentiful Sword Art Online experience. This free update will raise the level cap from 200 to 250 and provide an estimated 30 hours of additional gameplay including 50 new Hollow missions and heroine quests, new bosses, weapons, armor, areas and more!"

oh man I just read this, glad I waited for the NA version

kawaiiiii

maskrider

225+ hours, still playing the 2nd play through, so many things left to do if you keep playing.

Still at level 149, not all hollow areas at rank 3, still have a lot of implement untouched, not all missions unlocked, not all characters unlocked, not all costumes unlocked, not all CG unlocked ...

edit: And OSS, you really need it, it is very handy.

Phlebas

Banned
225+ hours, still playing the 2nd play through, so many things left to do if you keep playing.

Still at level 149, not all hollow areas at rank 3, still have a lot of implement untouched, not all missions unlocked, not all characters unlocked, not all costumes unlocked, not all CG unlocked ...

edit: And OSS, you really need it, it is very handy.

OSS?

kayos90

I'm surprised by how gamey this game really is. I thought it'd be a cheap cash in but there is some really cool stuff in this game and a lot of stuff to do. Granted when you boil down to it, you're just doing the same thing over but a lot of the auxiliary stuff is neat and how it all meshes is really well done.

I'm surprised by how gamey this game really is. I thought it'd be a cheap cash in but there is some really cool stuff in this game and a lot of stuff to do. Granted when you boil down to it, you're just doing the same thing over but a lot of the auxiliary stuff is neat and how it all meshes is really well done.

If we are to be overly technical, isn't that what videogames are about? Doing the same thing over and over :p There is variety in missions, specially in the hollow area. The way you play too can be different, since you have different skills, different weapons, different equipment parts, different heroines with multiple battle patterns for you to nurture, etc

MSMrRound

Btw, having cleared the Hollow Fragment story mode (finally...I died once at the end and was beyond pissed for a while) and all of the heroine HF quests, now there's this
additional pink icon quests called "request for kirito or something? I cleared most of Sinon's, since hers was mostly getting involved with Hollow missions where you have to kill things...and now she's asking me to go to this garden to rest. I tried checking the lover to rest area, where I got the bird eggs she needed from...but it wasn't there

Any idea where's the location?

Also, after the 1.03 patch, gosh, the Hollow Fragment area is so much easier to navigate now. In vanilla build it was mostly bumping around till you got to the correct map. Really loving the change. Text still doesn't look all that fixed from that July update. I'm still getting assault and penetrations.

Btw, having cleared the Hollow Fragment story mode (finally...I died once at the end and was beyond pissed for a while) and all of the heroine HF quests, now there's this
additional pink icon quests called "request for kirito or something? I cleared most of Sinon's, since hers was mostly getting involved with Hollow missions where you have to kill things...and now she's asking me to go to this garden to rest. I tried checking the lover to rest area, where I got the bird eggs she needed from...but it wasn't there

Any idea where's the location?

Also, after the 1.03 patch, gosh, the Hollow Fragment area is so much easier to navigate now. In vanilla build it was mostly bumping around till you got to the correct map. Really loving the change. Text still doesn't look all that fixed from that July update. I'm still getting assault and penetrations.

I still need to get around the patch content... As for what i bolded, the script wasn't changed, they just cleaned up the typos I find. Made some of the sentences look clean, it's all.

maskrider

"Original Sword Skills", chaining sword skills

edit: every additional chained skill will have their power increased by 20%, the power of the 6th chained skill will increase by 100%

edit2: a purple light will appear at the chaining moment, you just need to invoke the next skill at that very moment, but for sure you need to have enough SP, you need to complete some implement quests to unlock higher than 2 chains OSS and OSS SP savings.

Parakeetman

I assume I just give weapons for weapons then, right?

Yeah pretty much and if its better what they have they will equip it. Be careful not to give em something that you only can get once though. Unless you dont really care about giving it away.

johnyqd

Are quests repeatable? I'm wondering how cautious I have to be as I start playing in a few days, other than trying to avoid anyone dying of course.

Parakeetman

Are quests repeatable? I'm wondering how cautious I have to be as I start playing in a few days, other than trying to avoid anyone dying of course.

Hollow Area ones yes. Main story ones no.

Hollow Area quests seem to reset by time. No idea how long the reset timer is though.

Parakeetman

Thanks Parekeetman! Ugh. Give me the game Grace Chen.

Just keep in mind the balance / design of some of the hollow quests can be a little maddening. So just roll with it and know there are a bunch of others out there to find if you think one is too stupid. Which there will be a few like that.

Yeah pretty much and if its better what they have they will equip it. Be careful not to give em something that you only can get once though. Unless you dont really care about giving it away.

Do not quote me on this, it might of been just me, but post patch I have noticed that at least for the armor that you give them, if you switch it to something else, you get the one that you gave her first back, if what she had equipped was originally given to her by you.

Parakeetman

Do not quote me on this, it might of been just me, but post patch I have noticed that at least for the armor that you give them, if you switch it to something else, you get the one that you gave her first back, if what she had equipped was originally given to her by you.

if so thats good! i never paid attention but was pretty sure they didnt give stuff back initially.

MSMrRound

Yea, you will get back the previous stuff that you gave them, but US players will only get the patch around September or so.

I'll imagine Kayos is currently playing the old build without the detailed Hollow maps etc.

Phlebas

Banned
It will be a little frustrating for reviewers not having the recent patch with all the updates. Hopefully that is mentioned in there somehow, really want this to do well.

Stuart444

It will be a little frustrating for reviewers not having the recent patch with all the updates. Hopefully that is mentioned in there somehow, really want this to do well.

Tbf, the game is great even without the patch so it shouldn't be an issue (though it wouldn't hurt for reviewers to mention a patch coming with 20 - 30+ hours of content :) )

kayos90

Why is it frustrating for reviewers? It's relative. If nothing is there to be compared to yet then it shouldn't matter.

Top Bottom