• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Phlebas

Banned
Tbf, the game is great even without the patch so it shouldn't be an issue (though it wouldn't hurt for reviewers to mention a patch coming with 20 - 30+ hours of content :) )

Oh no i agree, but some little things that could count against it are fixed in the next patch.

Hopefully that is mentioned and they do an updated review.

Shiina

Is the patch going to be something that improves the game overall or does it just tack on additional content at the end of the game? Would it be better for me to wait for the patch to start playing the game? I'm in no hurry right now with new games.

Xenus

Is the patch going to be something that improves the game overall or does it just tack on additional content at the end of the game? Would it be better for me to wait for the patch to start playing the game? I'm in no hurry right now with new games.

That's what I wonder. I will buy it on launch but I wonder if I should wait to play it till after the patch.

Stuart444

That's what I wonder. I will buy it on launch but I wonder if I should wait to play it till after the patch.

You can play it without the patch but it does improve things.

For example: The Implement system items costs a lot less points (one thing for instance goes from 1000 points to 200). Also the Hollow Map is a lot easier to navigate. Some balance issues as well such as more XP from enemies.

But the game is playable and indeed a lot of fun without the patch but I'm glad we're getting the patch :)

Stuart444

Is there a fast way to level up your low level companions like Sinon?

Hollow Console -> Multiplayer -> Alone, choose who you want to level up. Go kill shit in the Hollow Area/Concealed Area (not sure what the localized names are, sorry if they are different) and they will level up quite quickly.

I got Sinon/Leafa/Silica (who were all low levelish) up to near 100 rather quickly doing this.

(edit: woops, again I meant to edit this into the above post :( )

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hollow Console -> Multiplayer -> Alone, choose who you want to level up. Go kill shit in the Hollow Area/Concealed Area (not sure what the localized names are, sorry if they are different) and they will level up quite quickly.

I got Sinon/Leafa/Silica (who were all low levelish) up to near 100 rather quickly doing this.

(edit: woops, again I meant to edit this into the above post :( )

Alright. Thanks mang.

kayos90

Np, as long as you're in MP mode, even if you die, you and your NPC allies will keep any levels gained during the MP session so it's not too much trouble.
Oh. Well thats pretty dumb lol.

Still takes a while to level in hollow area though....

How terrible are the Asian version's English subtitles? I'm a bit interested in this game (and would like to play it in English) but the NA release is digital-only so I'm not buying it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is there anything you guys would like me to focus on/talk about in my review?

the actual gameplay and combat system since its leagues ahead of a lot of other titles.

also remember the game is basically a remake of infinity moment. as thats the main storyline not the hollow area. :)

truthfully the waifu shit can take a backseat if you are serious about doing a good review as its seriously such a tiny portion of the game and not even that complex.

TUSR

Banned
Is there anything you guys would like me to focus on/talk about in my review?

Serious answer time.

the actual gameplay and combat system since its leagues ahead of a lot of other titles.

A lot of people visiting the thread closer to the release of the game have been asking a lot about the combat system and how it plays. This should be focused in your review and will help answer a lot of potential questions from new players/potential buyers.

I would also mention the patch that the US/EU is getting in September. The content in that patch, in length, could be a stand alone game on top of fixing a lot of issues, and brushing up an already excellent game.

kayos90

My review will most likely not be out by release date but a few days after. I believe in timeliness but I haven't had enough time with the game.

Parakeetman

I wouldn't say leagues but it is definitely fun. I am absolutely in love with the game, though this doesn't mean it doesn't have its caveats.

there are hardly that many jrpgs where skill can take precedent over hard set levels.

the system has downsides a lot being tied more to the animations used with the attacks and a few other things but overall once again i state that this is one of the top notch battle systems in the genre and does deserve its own spot in history design wise as part of the overall package. and as already mentioned game takes player skill highly into account over levels and rewards said players with a feeling of accomplishment that is the same type of high folks seem to get from the current trending souls series for a example people can understand.

kayos90

there are hardly that many jrpgs where skill can take precedent over hard set levels.

The lack thereof doesn't make it automatically better nor does it make it leagues better either. It's impossible to say that reviews shouldn't be relative nor set within the context of the game itself since there has to be some parameters set. Having said that, SAO does stand apart from its counterparts in some aspects.

Going back to what you were saying, skill does precede hard set levels. It's pretty awesome to defeat a red enemy with a level that is much higher than your own. I think the fact the game gives you the tools to survive these encounters and utilizing the tools to maximum ability makes fights feel meaningful and awesome. Especially when you fight a super hard enemy and your HP meter more or less acts as a timer.

I'm actually really confused as to what sort of gameplay the battles are?
Is it turn-based, real-time, etc?

Game looks good though, so excited to delve into this.

Mononoke

Banned
How terrible are the Asian version's English subtitles? I'm a bit interested in this game (and would like to play it in English) but the NA release is digital-only so I'm not buying it.

They are pretty spotty but are good enough to get by. The relationship dialogue bubbles can be broken (I mean the side stuff when you talk to NPCs). Again you will get the gist of it, but its worse than the narrative sections which are pretty solid.

It's real time, however your powers have cool downs and there are buffs and combo systems. But at its basic core, you can pretty much just swing as many times as you want. But there is a lot of micro-managing where it's all about timing (and getting synergy with your buffs and doing combos with your partner). It's actually a really cool combat system that is very engaging, energetic and complex.

Parakeetman

The lack thereof doesn't make it automatically better nor does it make it leagues better either. It's impossible to say that reviews shouldn't be relative nor set within the context of the game itself since there has to be some parameters set. Having said that, SAO does stand apart from its counterparts in some aspects.

Going back to what you were saying, skill does precede hard set levels. It's pretty awesome to defeat a red enemy with a level that is much higher than your own. I think the fact the game gives you the tools to survive these encounters and utilizing the tools to maximum ability makes fights feel meaningful and awesome. Especially when you fight a super hard enemy and your HP meter more or less acts as a timer.

unless you can give some real examples sorry am going to disagree with your general opinions once again. on top of that since you had stated you did not have that much time with the title also makes me wonder about said opinions. you can try to rationalize all you want but bottom line in regards to a previous opinion of yours is that games are a constant rinse and repeat of mechanics. but what matters is the experience given to said player.

i still stand by the statement that this game desing wise with the combat still leagues better than most titles currently available. this title stands on its own ground pretty much. as stated way way too many titles in the jrpg genre go off of stats > skill. as long as you have proper skills and semi decent equipment along a good understanding of the game system you can kill a lot of thing you clearly shouldnt be able to if its the standard formula which pretty much most titles do otherwise its a balancing nightmare and requires a lot more work development wise.

which is why not only the battle and related mechanics systems deserves the praise and attention all the SAO setting aside. the obvious amount of care and work that went into this part of the game deserves to be recognized and show why it stands above so many other titles gameplay wise.

Parakeetman

all of it is realtime. person above me explained it quite well since am stuck on a mobile device now typing takes far too long.

but action based with skill activation for your hard hitting attacks in conjunction with support skills to buff / debuff, heal yourself or partner(s).

someone link this guy my ant video since thats a good current example

edit got it hope this shit works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ

kayos90

unless you can give some real examples sorry am going to disagree with your general opinions once again. on top of that since you had stated you did not have that much time with the title also makes me wonder about said opinions. you can try to rationalize all you want but bottom line in regards to a previous opinion of yours is that games are a constant rinse and repeat of mechanics. but what matters is the experience given to said player.

You can boil it down to me not having had enough time sure. You obviously had more time than me so in that respect you will know more. However, just because this is the case doesn't make your analysis any right. I played Tales games plenty of times in the past and that is a game where you can put skill above anything else. The same can be said for many other action based games such as Star Ocean. There are various systems in place to "cheat" your indicated place in the game. Once again, the lack thereof doesn't make it automatically better. Also, lack of examples doesn't make my statements false. it just means the evidence isn't provided and therefore the argumentation is poor. Not the actual statement itself.

Additionally if you want to explain your stance with "experience given to said player" then my statement is not much wrong compared to yours isn't it? It's a cop out statement if you ask me. Having said that, each player will have his or her own experiences. Denying another person's analysis and feelings of the game after saying this seems extremely foolish.

i still stand by the statement that this game desing wise with the combat still leagues better than most titles currently available. this title stands on its own ground pretty much. as stated way way too many titles in the jrpg genre go off of stats > skill. as long as you have proper skills and semi decent equipment along a good understanding of the game system you can kill a lot of thing you clearly shouldnt be able to if its the standard formula which pretty much most titles do otherwise its a balancing nightmare and requires a lot more work development wise.

I never denied this. I admire that the game does this.

whicb is why not only the battle and related mechanics systems deserves the praise and attention all the SAO setting aside. the obvious amount of care and work that went into this part of the game deserves to be recognized and show why it stands above so many other titles gameplay wise.

I'm not saying the game doesn't deserve praise. I'm saying that your praise seems overblown. The game's design choices are strong. This is undoubtedly true. However, my statement still stands that the very fact that the industry lacks something of this nature in great quantity doesn't mean it should be given auto-praise.

all of it is realtime. person above me explained it quite well since am stuck on a mobile device now typing takes far too long.

but action based with skill activation for your hard hitting attacks in conjunction with support skills to buff / debuff, heal yourself or partner(s).

someone link this guy my ant video since thats a good current example

edit got it hope this shit works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ

Looks pretty cool, thanks for that!

Alright, now to just figure out if I want to get it at launch or wait til the update is out. I already have two other games to play & review, haha.

Parakeetman

Looks pretty cool, thanks for that!

Alright, now to just figure out if I want to get it at launch or wait til the update is out. I already have two other games to play & review, haha.

lots of content to go through so would suggest clearing your own plate off first, though at the same time showing support for them releasing the patch in the west day 1 pick up would be appreciated as first week numbers is what they will be looking at the most. and just leave it till later.

though its pretty easy to blow through the main infinity moment content if you want as its based off the original psp version therefore the areas are much smaller when put in comparison to the vita specific designed hollow area.

back in the psp days though i still considered infinity moment fairly impressive.

Ahzrei

Banned
You're making me so hyped for this game Parakeetman. I love RPG's where skill > level.

After the sometimes disappointing combat of Persona 4 Golden (though I love the hell out of the game overall), this game sounds like exactly what I need.

Parakeetman

You're making me so hyped for this game Parakeetman. I love RPG's where skill > level.

After the sometimes disappointing combat of Persona 4 Golden (though I love the hell out of the game overall), this game sounds like exactly what I need.

it might take a little bit to get used go the UI and game mechanics but once it clicks it gets pretty addictive and fast. then you begin to look through the weapon skill trees to see which passives (the activated non attack) skills to work towards that fits your play style.

MSMrRound

Is it better for a player to stick to a few particular weapon types though? I got like 130+ skill points saved up, but I'm just reluctant to spend them all as there really isn't any re-spec option available...

Parakeetman

Is it better for a player to stick to a few particular weapon types though? I got like 130+ skill points saved up, but I'm just reluctant to spend them all as there really isn't any re-spec option available...

focus on what matches your playstyle. but most def look at all of the "passive skills" the weapon types have to offer.

since as long as you have at least two styles maxed out that you are comfortable with the rest should be primary focus on the skills as a good number of those can be used by all weapon types

there really isnt any reason to try to spend all skill points into getting the final sword skills for all the weapons.

johnyqd

I'm going to dig right in after the game is released... happen to have a perfectly timed vacation lined up.

Is there anything I should hold off doing until the patch is released? I know some skills cost less post patch?

MSMrRound

The reduced implementation research thing is only available for JP copies right?
Think their build is 1.05.

Still a pain to farm many of these Hollow Fragment implementations in the current 1.03 build...

ViciousDS

Banned
works great on it, as thats what i usually play on at home.

would hope that the us one would support it also too considering how the jp one does.

You would think it would and I would hope it would. I'm actually hoping the playstation tv gives hope to the vita lineup....and to be honest it might. It would actually be wonders to have something that kids can use at home and then transfer data over to hit the road. To me it actually seemed like a great device and I also think it's the reason we don't have a ton of attention to it. If the playstation tv sells well I think they will market games as "available on vita and playstation tv today". The devices name makes it really easy to market to inform everyone on what games work with the unit(unlike the confusing wiiu name that Nintendo gave there console).

Raxious

So, seeing as one of the trophies involve all the events, do these automatically show up on the Event screen? I don't wanna miss any.

Parakeetman

What resolution(s) does the PSTV output?

No idea as I dont really care about things like resolution and such. As far as Im concerned looks perfectly fine to me.
All of the recorded footage is from the PSV TV. So that should be a good enough idea as is.

This was posted a few posts above yours but here it is again for example footage which I had recorded off the PSV TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

Playing PSP titles on a PSV TV will give you pretty much what you would expect if you got a PSP game and blew it up onto a big screen. Though thats only if you really are picky about things like that.

You would think it would and I would hope it would. I'm actually hoping the playstation tv gives hope to the vita lineup....and to be honest it might. It would actually be wonders to have something that kids can use at home and then transfer data over to hit the road. To me it actually seemed like a great device and I also think it's the reason we don't have a ton of attention to it. If the playstation tv sells well I think they will market games as "available on vita and playstation tv today". The devices name makes it really easy to market to inform everyone on what games work with the unit(unlike the confusing wiiu name that Nintendo gave there console).

I would hope / imagine it will work with it right out of the box. Using PS+ to UL / DL your saves is pretty easy to do, but just to be careful not to do the wrong order and overwrite your data. As a user in here already had that happen to them once by mistake. But with that aside its a great tool to play something on the go, then come home and switch over to the big screen. Actually if you have a digital version makes it even easier since its installed on both units. Though you need to have exactly all the same DLC or else the game will not read the save file as it states some DLC is missing. So just watch out for that and you should be fine.

You seriously would want a 64 GB card since with digital purchases you will fill that sucker up so fast. And its so easy just to sit there and constantly play things on your PSVTV / PSTV by just switching between titles without having to load carts in / out. My PSV TV mem card is pretty much 100% digital. My PSV I play physical stuff, but a lot of the other things are digital.

MSMrRound

Pretty genius of Bandai Namco to be releasing it during this period.

The broadcasting of the anime is definitely driving the attention of some viewers to this game...
and how Sinon is objectively the best SAO girl

Parakeetman

The broadcasting of the anime is definitely driving the attention of some viewers to this game...

Pretty much, since its quite obvious as to what happened here in the thread. In Japan the game has not dropped in price really either, which goes to show that its a popular enough title to not need one.

I lold as today saw Drakengard 3 in the wagon sale just as I had imagined it would be along with Summon Knight 5 which also belonged there after what they did to that series with that game. D:

darkwing

and how Sinon is objectively the best SAO girl

Oh I was watching the anime and suddenly thought of this game, can't wait

BTW is there any English video about the nuances of the combat system, or any English review for that matter lol

Parakeetman

Oh I was watching the anime and suddenly thought of this game, can't wait

BTW is there any English video about the nuances of the combat system, or any English review for that matter lol

Dont think there really is anything yet. Considering the US / EU one isnt out yet.

Question have you played MMOs before?

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask and Ill help you out with answers as am behind a pc currently and can actually type unlike being on my mob. device. lol

----------

Since note got the OK from duckroll to turn this into the US / EU OT. So Ill have to do some changes to things and duckroll will assist with a title change. Might as well since everyone is pretty much here already anyways and all the resources are the same.

Top Bottom