• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Phlebas

Banned
So they said the patch will be coming west in sept right? I think it was posted but I'm on mobile right now. Hard to page through it all.

From the CM:

Hey guys! Sorry I'm like super busy with Gamescom BUT I wanted to share the good news with you: YES (finallly) we are getting the patch! And we'll have free DLC on launch day (and more DLC to come). Here's the quote from the press release:
"For fans who will want even more Sword Art Online excitement, a major update will be available after launch on September 24th to extend the already-thrilling and plentiful Sword Art Online experience. This free update will raise the level cap from 200 to 250 and provide an estimated 30 hours of additional gameplay including 50 new Hollow missions and heroine quests, new bosses, weapons, armor, areas and more!"

zulux21

I just want to double check... the vast majority of the game can be played in multiplayer right? or can the story only be seen in single player?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just want to double check... the vast majority of the game can be played in multiplayer right? or can the story only be seen in single player?

story cant be advanced in mp. just wandering around and leveling can. cant trigger story events in mp.

MSMrRound

Finally got a move on and cleared the third part of Hollow Fragment.

Pretty interesting boss.

Oh and Philia's complete armor unlocked! Her Attack outfit is pretty nice too.
Bu-i2t4CYAA09cj.jpg:large

Parakeetman

do you need to advance the story to unlock more dungeons/events or is MP able to go through those it just doesn't get story with them?

Actually I think a bunch are unlocked, since there are some I have not unlocked but was able to access. Though granted if you are not strong enough the only thing that would happen is you dying most likely lol.

Parakeetman

Thanks both of you.

I have not seen anyone talking about the game being repetitious, is the combat system that good or does it have to do with the games theme of being like a MMORPG (whose whole purpose is to grind)?

The combat system is that good. As its not just about "numbers" as in your level, its also about your actual skill and understanding of the abilities you have at your disposal. Spamming attacks wont get you anywhere either for the most part as you will wind up running out of SP and being screwed.

The combat system is that good. As its not just about "numbers" as in your level, its also about your actual skill and understanding of the abilities you have at your disposal. Spamming attacks wont get you anywhere either for the most part as you will wind up running out of SP and being screwed.

Your words make my choice easy, I will buy this as soon as it is up on the store (let's hope it will be possible to preorder in EU. :)

Parakeetman

Your words make my choice easy, I will buy this as soon as it is up on the store (let's hope it will be possible to preorder in EU. :)

My videos are a pretty good example of that, they are scattered through the thread though the later ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ

Am sure you have seen this before, but have not recorded anything new in a long time for the game, but for others who have not seen it gives a good idea about the combat just from watching me fight.

Finally got a move on and cleared the third part of Hollow Fragment.

Pretty interesting boss.

Oh and Philia's complete armor unlocked! Her Attack outfit is pretty nice too.
Bu-i2t4CYAA09cj.jpg:large

Wow I'm a bit floored at how good this screenshot looks :eek: Normally Vita screenshots look really... mediocre when viewed on PCs, due to the different DPI I assume, but this one looks great!

MSMrRound

Wow I'm a bit floored at how good this screenshot looks :eek: Normally Vita screenshots look really... mediocre when viewed on PCs, due to the different DPI I assume, but this one looks great!

In-game there's the option for you to toggle between third-person and first-person ( ... for certain reasons *cough*).

Makes it easier for clearer screenshots I guess.

In-game there's the option for you to toggle between third-person and first-person ( ... for certain reasons *cough*).

Makes it easier for clearer screenshots I guess.

Ah I see yeah that makes sense. And of course! The first person function is only there to simulate how Kirito sees things through the NerveGear, nothing else... *cough*

But yeah thinking about this, the only thing I'm so far bummed about is that they didn't use the actual anime UI for the HP bar etc though I guess they did this to have a UI that actually works for a real game.

Parakeetman

tumblr_n06m8jNQjz1trtm6eo1_500.jpg

Have no fear! You can play the games multiplayer with 3 other AI characters! Its ALMOST like having real friends! Minus the icky bits of human interaction!

ys45

I realize I have not checked anything about this game and it's coming next week .
How complex is the battle system and is there anything that is good to know before starting the game ? Or will I be OK if I just read the manual once the game is released ?

TUSR

Banned
I realize I have not checked anything about this game and it's coming next week .
How complex is the battle system and is there anything that is good to know before starting the game ? Or will I be OK if I just read the manual once the game is released ?

Read the OP and watch videos.

Ibuki

Banned
Grabbing 40 in PSN monies today so I'm ready to rage next Tuesday. I guess I'll catch up on Season 2 of the anime while I wait.

deadfolk

Hey guys! Sorry I'm like super busy with Gamescom BUT I wanted to share the good news with you: YES (finallly) we are getting the patch! And we'll have free DLC on launch day (and more DLC to come). Here's the quote from the press release:
"For fans who will want even more Sword Art Online excitement, a major update will be available after launch on September 24th to extend the already-thrilling and plentiful Sword Art Online experience. This free update will raise the level cap from 200 to 250 and provide an estimated 30 hours of additional gameplay including 50 new Hollow missions and heroine quests, new bosses, weapons, armor, areas and more!"

This makes me so happy. Officially day one for me then.

I wonder if UK/IE will actually get this on 20th, or it will actually be Friday like everything else (but no-one ever tells us).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh.
So I read through the OP and the gameplay is really calling out to me.

But I have absolutely no interest in the property this is based off and will not be watching the anime.

What to do? What to do?

Shiina

Huh.
So I read through the OP and the gameplay is really calling out to me.

But I have absolutely no interest in the property this is based off and will not be watching the anime.

What to do? What to do?

I have a similar position except I've seen the anime.

This is based off of the first arc (of the first season), right?

This game was the biggest surprise of the year for me. It is just so good guys.

Also I'm gonna need to grind Phillias stats after seeing that costume. I got her the atk one and settled for it since it looked great, but that one looks even better. Thanks for sharing the screenshot!

matmanx1

Ah I see yeah that makes sense. And of course! The first person function is only there to simulate how Kirito sees things through the NerveGear, nothing else... *cough*

But yeah thinking about this, the only thing I'm so far bummed about is that they didn't use the actual anime UI for the HP bar etc though I guess they did this to have a UI that actually works for a real game.

First person mode? Fantastic. I really liked the first person bits in the anime because they are immersive moments where you really get in to Kirito's head and see what he is seeing. It only makes sense that they would include that for the game and I am glad to hear it confirmed.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sigh, I can't seem to enjoy fighting bigger monsters, but I think I'm doing something wrong.
The flow of a normal battle is:
>Keep pressing O, preferably when the circle appears for Just Attacks.
>Once your Risk is 5, switch (the >switch< is switching who the enemy targets, right?) since your points will regenerate faster.
>Spam "Good", because it replenishes your SP and since the system sometimes is really weird (AI does something worth praising but is giving me "?") so mashing it yields the best results.
>When a monster is preparing a stronger attack block or stun him (I hate that the block has such a long cooldown, but I guess it'd have been op otherwise).
>Use skills either at an end of the combo or freely if you need burst damage/stat boost.
Am I missing something?

First person mode? Fantastic. I really liked the first person bits in the anime because they are immersive moments where you really get in to Kirito's head and see what he is seeing. It only makes sense that they would include that for the game and I am glad to hear it confirmed.
Personally I find the camera speed way too slow, but its nice using it when in town for example, or on dates with the Heroines. The visuals look great on it too, everything is really sharp and detailed.

MSMrRound

Anyone have any advice gear-wise/skill wise?

Hollow Fragment 5th part kicking my butt.
2nd encounter in the map area with that poison spewing queen

Can't help but feel I might be a bit underleveled at lvl 118...which weapons do you guys usually go for? I really want to try Great Sword, but the lowered acc makes it a pain to use whenever the 100% hit skill is on cooldown.

This game comes with the psp prequel right?

To use the lingo, it's a remaster, "definitive" version of that PSP game. Slightly upscaled graphics, improve user interface, more options for you to interact more with your "waifus" of choice. Hollow Fragment is this additional sprawling area with its self contained story that is added to it.

So the PSP game=clear floors, Hollow Fragment=additional area you can go to for higher level monsters/more gears etc. They are both accessed from the central teleport stone.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was doing the Hollow part and upon entering the new area a Hollow Mission has started. I didn't notice that I'm supposed to sneak past enemies to get to the goal and failed immediately.
I left the area and entered it again, but the mission didn't pop. What am I supposed to do? Just wait for another random one?

Sitrus

I was doing the Hollow part and upon entering the new area a Hollow Mission has started. I didn't notice that I'm supposed to sneak past enemies to get to the goal and failed immediately.
I left the area and entered it again, but the mission didn't pop. What am I supposed to do? Just wait for another random one?

They will spawn again after a while.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing I don't like about the first person camera is that the character models don't have mouth animations so it takes you out of it when you see their text bubbles but no lip synching. Would've been perfect otherwise.

Stuart444

P. Man or anyone, any idea if there's any unlockable cutscene viewer or something?

There is a photo viewer (which has the animated stills but without the dialogue) and a movie viewer (which includes FMV-style cutscenes including the Opening movie :D ) after the game is completed.

Stuart444

Anyone have any advice gear-wise/skill wise?

Hollow Fragment 5th part kicking my butt.
2nd encounter in the map area with that poison spewing queen

Can't help but feel I might be a bit underleveled at lvl 118...which weapons do you guys usually go for? I really want to try Great Sword, but the lowered acc makes it a pain to use whenever the 100% hit skill is on cooldown.

You aren't underleveled, I did it around that level iirc. It just takes some creative uses of skills depending on what you have. I usually use dualswords myself. On the English version, I'm going to use more of the other weps but still want to make sure I level up dualswords so I can get eclipse/starburst stream as they are awesome skills in my experience :)

(edit: shit, I meant to post that as an edit instead of a new post, woops :/)

MSMrRound

I currently have Dual Wield at 1000, one-hand sword at 1000 (to unlock broadsword), 600 into rapier. Already got Starburst Scream and Eclipse, but the debuffs (bleed+slow) were really a pain. I think I got the boss to about 1.5 bars before I got distracted or died to some "lol you are bleeding out so fast. Die so that you can respawn at the start of the map and start the whole sequence again!"
I think she spawn some minions around the second bar of health or something? Maybe I should have gone with some AOE weapons...

Man I wish we can retry some battles right where we encounter them.

Not fully sure where I should commit my points...did the new patch allow you to spend your points more freely? I think P.Man mentioned in the old build it wasn't possible to max out all the skills...

matmanx1

Is this going to be the OT for the USA/EU release next week or are we doing something different for that? It would be nice to have a title that reflected that the game was out and available when that happens.

Stuart444

On the boss note:

I don't think she spawns minions, I think the battle just takes place rather close to some random enemies in the area

Sitrus

I currently have Dual Wield at 1000, one-hand sword at 1000 (to unlock broadsword), 600 into rapier. Already got Starburst Scream and Eclipse, but the debuffs (bleed+slow) were really a pain. I think I got the boss to about 1.5 bars before I got distracted or died to some "lol you are bleeding out so fast. Die so that you can respawn at the start of the map and start the whole sequence again!"
I think she spawn some minions around the second bar of health or something? Maybe I should have gone with some AOE weapons...

Man I wish we can retry some battles right where we encounter them.

Not fully sure where I should commit my points...did the new patch allow you to spend your points more freely? I think P.Man mentioned in the old build it wasn't possible to max out all the skills...

I recommend that mace skill to remove debuffs, playing the jpn version so I don't know what it is called in english, should be restoring flame or something like that.

antibolo

Banned
Gonna start playing the game this weekend. I have to finish Danganronpa first, I'm at the last chapter (sooooo good, possibly GOTY for me).

I hope I'm not making a huge mistake, playing the Asian version while the NA version is less than a week away.

Top Bottom