• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ksimm

I am excited for this Wednesday! I am now up to episode 19 of SOA, and I am really enjoying the series. My only annoyance is having to keep deleting games off my Vita 32GB card to make room for SOA and other new titles. I just wish Sony would make it easier by bringing a 64GB card to the UK.

matmanx1

Latest numbers put it at 244,066

It's the 4th best selling Vita game of all time in Japan

Yeah, that's pretty excellent. I hope it does well over here and in Europe so that we will get the next installment also.

On that note I would really like the creators to go back and make a game about Kirito's time leveling up and becoming the hero that he is once he hits level 74 (which is where Hollow Fragment picks up). Some of that time period is covered in the anime and light novels but considering it lasted 2 years there's a ton more they could do with it.

Mendrox

Have to wait till Wednesday. :-( But I am still hyped. I made some overtime at work so I can leave earlier on Wednesday lol.

Doombear

Thanks for this Parakeet! This just sold me that last little bit on getting this on Tuesday. Just need to clear space for it on my 32GB. So many skills! That looks ridculously fun.

Is it odd that this game speaks to me largely due to the little bits I see that remind of games that I love/loved like Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, FFXI, and even iRO? Is that super strange? I am not saying that this plays like any of those, but little things like the skill trees, the NMs, the content, the areas, all of it just triggers these fond memories for games I have loved in the past. It also doesn't hurt that I have seen 20 of 25 episodes of the first season so far too, and quite like it (first and second halves even).

MSMrRound

BvRkFU8CUAAIL-2.jpg:large

So close to Strea's Defense armor...once I unlocked that, her Attack armor will be the final one...had her AI rigged up in such a way that she will usually use Defense Stat->Merciful Robe->couple of those DEF support skills->duel shout and repeat when the cooldowns are off.

Mrgrgr. This fascination with unlocking their costumes can be such a pain sometimes...

Have to wait till Wednesday. :-( But I am still hyped. I made some overtime at work so I can leave earlier on Wednesday lol.

Whoa that's something! I have my Vita all charged and ready too already, can't wait! Also if I may ask, where's your avatar from? :eek:

I thought the pre-loading for Rogue Legacy and the other new indies would set a trend on the PS Store. But no :/

I didn't know that was happening, interesting o.o It would be nice since I will need about a hour to download SAO but then again it sitting on my Vita already, unplayable would drive me mad I think :p

That's insane.

Hopefully it does well in NA/EU for the inevitable sequel it looks like.

And speaking of avatars, should I fix the proportions of yours? They are a little off D:

Phlebas

Banned
Whoa that's something! I have my Vita all charged and ready too already, can't wait! Also if I may ask, where's your avatar from? :eek:

I didn't know that was happening, interesting o.o It would be nice since I will need about a hour to download SAO but then again it sitting on my Vita already, unplayable would drive me mad I think :p

And speaking of avatars, should I fix the proportions of yours? They are a little off D:

Yeah sure.

If it's not too much.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for this Parakeet! This just sold me that last little bit on getting this on Tuesday. Just need to clear space for it on my 32GB. So many skills! That looks ridculously fun.

Is it odd that this game speaks to me largely due to the little bits I see that remind of games that I love/loved like Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, FFXI, and even iRO? Is that super strange? I am not saying that this plays like any of those, but little things like the skill trees, the NMs, the content, the areas, all of it just triggers these fond memories for games I have loved in the past. It also doesn't hurt that I have seen 20 of 25 episodes of the first season so far too, and quite like it (first and second halves even).

haha am sure you will have a great time with the title as most def the battle system and such is something unique! really looking forward to seeing all the new players reactions to the title.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Btw is there an extensive tutorial in the game? Been looking at gameplay videos, so much stuff going on lol

There's a very very basic tutorial of how things work but much of the intricacies are things you'll have to figure out yourself.

Parakeetman

Btw is there an extensive tutorial in the game? Been looking at gameplay videos, so much stuff going on lol

dont really remember but id like to lean towards no?

the opening fight is sort of the tutorial rest is mainly baptism by fire \(^o^)/

MSMrRound

A very basic one. Everything happens so fast during the fight you probably can't even remember it. You will need some time to figure it out by yourself, but once it finally click, it should be a snap doing most of the stuff.

E.g I'm 42 hours in and I'm still experimenting with side and backstepping (can't do them perfectly yet). I still haven't unlock the many layers of the OSS (chaining of sword skills) function via the Hollow Fragment implementation system.

Parakeetman

Sure but it's not even hard!

i actually think the heathcliff tutorial was cooler lol. or more like being more effective. this one am sure will make new players go ohshitohshitohshit just due to obvious reasons which we will not spoil lol though am pretty sure one of my vids in the ot show it

darkwing

A very basic one. Everything happens so fast during the fight you probably can't even remember it. You will need some time to figure it out by yourself, but once it finally click, it should be a snap doing most of the stuff.

E.g I'm 42 hours in and I'm still experimenting with side and backstepping (can't do them perfectly yet). I still haven't unlock the many layers of the OSS (chaining of sword skills) function via the Hollow Fragment implementation system.

wow, this is what I wanted to hear, I'm actually looking more forward to this game than D3 UEE, why can't they do preload on the Vita grrrr

Parakeetman

wow, this is what I wanted to hear, I'm actually looking more forward to this game than D3 UEE, why can't they do preload on the Vita grrrr

thankfully if you look in the skill trees you can read the descriptions on all of the skills so while it looks like a lot once you have your skills set up the way you want and remember whats what it will become second nature fast.

kayos90

Any particular Battle Skills that seem like must haves parakeet? Just curious. There are a lot of cool skills that I want but they're all pretty deep in and require a fair bit of time investment. Sort of eyeing the +150SP at the moment.

Parakeetman

Any particular Battle Skills that seem like must haves parakeet? Just curious. There are a lot of cool skills that I want but they're all pretty deep in and require a fair bit of time investment. Sort of eyeing the +150SP at the moment.

yeah the

rapier for accuracy and sp related skills. 100% accuracy the sp regen, sp max up, forget if it had the sp full skill too.

mace for status recovery the one that recovers bleed and poison.

spear has more group oriented specialized ones

2h axe for the crit and damage up if you are an offensive type of player.

are the one off the top of my head. rapier and maceis a must though as you will be using those skills a lot. esp later on from the mace tree when poison and bleeding come into play more.

think the 1h tree had some defensive ones which were to be used with a shield.

Mailbox

Dear Neogaf,

iirc, This game also comes with an "HD" version of Infinity Moment, right?

Was that good as well?

Getting 2 games for the price of one for a digital purchase sounds good to me. (I'm gonna be getting this when it comes out on Tuesday)

-Mail

Parakeetman

Dear Neogaf,

iirc, This game also comes with an "HD" version of Infinity Moment, right?

Was that good as well?

Getting 2 games for the price of one for a digital purchase sounds good to me. (I'm gonna be getting this when it comes out on Tuesday)

-Mail

thats actually incorrect information and no idea why bannam in the west has not corrected it yet. as the game is a remake of infinity moment which is the main story where the hollow fragment part is just a suppliment to that. granted the content it provides is huge the main story comes from the aincrad infinity moment side of the game its a single title and there us no extra hd version as the game once again was designed as a remake which is why the ui and few other things got a massive overhaul.

thats actually incorrect information and no idea why bannam in the west has not corrected it yet. as the game is a remake of infinity moment which is the main story where the hollow fragment part is just a suppliment to that. granted the content it provides is huge the main story comes from the aincrad infinity moment side of the game its a single title and there us no extra hd version as the game once again was designed as a remake which is why the ui and few other things got a massive overhaul.

I wonder how many people have asked this and how many times we have said the same thing since that announcement of theirs and still, Namco hasn't made it clear that this is one game only. Sure Infinity Moment is an HD remaster of the PSP game, but it is an integral part of the title as a whole and not an add on or extra. Both arcs Infinity Moment and Hollow Fragment as a whole ARE SAO:Hollow Fragment.

antibolo

Banned
So there's some discussion about the game on the PSN thread and apparently the Western localization is just as bad (if not the same) as the Asian version?? Wha...

bobawesome

So there's some discussion about the game on the PSN thread and apparently the Western localization is just as bad (if not the same) as the Asian version?? Wha...

Ha...came to this thread for that exact reason. That's...disappointing to hear if it's true.

Stuart444

Do we have any people who have played both that can compare and contrast (and have the game)? If not, it's impossible to say how similar they are but they are not the same. (See a few pages ago where we established that the word "Penetration" isn't used like it is in that picture floating around in this thread)

Someone says this is from the US localization in the thread:

But it's not enough to say it's the 'same' as the Asian localization. Even if this line is the same. The extra time (which is why the game was delayed) was most likely to fix up localization issues so I'm a tad disappointed if this is in the final game. Still getting the english version though.

Stuart444

For those that have played it:

How's the story? How much is there? Is it like a VN style or cutscenes.. Or is the game 99% gameplay and SAO is just the backdrop for the game?

Story is good, there is plenty of VN style talk scenes, a couple of cutscenes that introduce characters and show important scenes and plenty of places for the gameplay to shine. (Especially when going up again enemies 40+ levels above you :p )

Mailbox

Dear Parakeetman,

Thank you for rectifying my incorrect information.

I tried searching for that info prior to posting but it seems Wikipedia was the only one with correct information...

The publisher really does need to give such information properly.

-Mail

Stuart444

Ok so from checking out the other thread and asking questions, the US translation is a little different from the asian version.

So it should still be worth picking up the US/EU version of the game.

antibolo

Banned
Ok so from checking out the other thread and asking questions, the US translation is a little different from the asian version.

So it should still be worth picking up the US/EU version of the game.

I guess I'll stick with the Asian version, it's funnier and not really that much of a step down apparently.

Stuart444

If it really is so... man, that would start a war around these parts lol.

It's cleaned up a little based on what others have said but it could be better. No Penetrations in sight I'm sure. :)

They probably didn't want to delay it any longer than a month so they could get it out early on while SAOII is still airing.

Man, I am a bit disappointed with this, having seen some of the screenshots, even though it isn't the same it still reads funny... It's like it's the same script as the Asian version, only with a few words with a little better arrangement.

kayos90

Do we have any people who have played both that can compare and contrast (and have the game)? If not, it's impossible to say how similar they are but they are not the same. (See a few pages ago where we established that the word "Penetration" isn't used like it is in that picture floating around in this thread)

Someone says this is from the US localization in the thread:

But it's not enough to say it's the 'same' as the Asian localization. Even if this line is the same. The extra time (which is why the game was delayed) was most likely to fix up localization issues so I'm a tad disappointed if this is in the final game. Still getting the english version though.

I've seen nothing this incompetently bad. If this is where I think it's from then no, it's not like that at all.

Phlebas

Banned
If anyone is in the US and would prefer the physical Asian version, PM me and we can try working something out.

I'll sell it at a loss.

Stuart444

Man, I am a bit disappointed with this, having seen some of the screenshots, even though it isn't the same it still reads funny... It's like it's the same script as the Asian version, only with a few words with a little better arrangement.

The Asian script was used as a base so it shouldn't be a surprise, they delayed it for one month to put extra work on it but that isn't much time so there is bound to be some awkwardness.

I've seen nothing this incompetently bad. If this is where I think it's from then no, it's not like that at all.

Have you seen anything pretty awkward? I'm curious now.

antibolo

Banned
I know it's dumb, but what bothers me the most is that they apparently haven't fixed the apostrophes.

BACKTICS AREN'T APOSTROPHES

Top Bottom