• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

has your friend watched the anime? let him watch gameplay videos after

everyone is so antsy because it is coming out tomorrow :D

Yeah he did but good idea on the gameplay videos! :p

And I wish EU PSN had the same update date as US PSN but then I would be also under the power of Grace Chen, not sure if want...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How many hours till its launched in the US anyways? As I need to update that pic for the guys in the dresses with "NOW ON SALE". Id imagine when I wake up for work should be out in the US. At least Id hope so.

Ahaha yup, US really is sucky with their actual Tuesday release times. You never know when it's gonna drop, I generally just open the store up on my computer/phone and refresh every once in a while.
How many hours till its launched in the US anyways? As I need to update that pic for the guys in the dresses with "NOW ON SALE". Id imagine when I wake up for work should be out in the US. At least Id hope so.

Assuming that it's out at 4-5 o clock, 30-31 hours I'd say?

TUSR

Banned
And is it just me or does your avatar look like a mix of Kill la Kill and something else?

I've had my eye on this game for a few months now.

If you Google image search my avatar you don't even get linked to the original picture because of the editing that Quick did to it. The person who made this has an art style similar to that of Trigger's.

Its 7:00AM on the West Coast right now, I imagine the game will launch when we get our store updated Tuesday afternoon.

I suppose the way "switching" with your friends online would work is them having to actually including yourself to be equipped with the right skills to drop / pull the hate from said target. Would take communication and coordination, but man am sure it will be amusing.

Im not sure how it works with humans since Im pretty sure it was that human players have their actual partners with them, which might mean you can actually give them commands normally.

That's a good point, I didn't think about this but given the complexity of the battle system and the impossibility to communicate maybe we should set up a GAF SAO Vita party chat if the whole Ad-Hoc Party thing works and takes off!

If you Google image search my avatar you don't even get linked to the original picture because of the editing that Quick did to it. The person who made this has an art style similar to that of Trigger's.

Oh I see now that's nice editing then, I couldn't even tell it was edited :eek:

Parakeetman

That's a good point, I didn't think about this but given the complexity of the battle system and the impossibility to communicate maybe we should set up a GAF SAO Vita party chat if the whole Ad-Hoc Party thing works and takes off!

Am sure will be amusing though if you guys get it all to work. Ill have to just be on the side listening to your guys adventures as schedule doesnt even allow for me to game all that much currently. But man if the test run you folks do of the ad-hoc party does work in a serviceable fashion then can imagine will be big here in the growing community for the game.

Parakeetman

Its 7:00AM on the West Coast right now, I imagine the game will launch when we get our store updated Tuesday afternoon.

Very cool. Yeah Ill start on making the replacement image in a bit. I know its about 10am on the East Coast? But the store update goes by the West coast time right?

TUSR

Banned
Oh I see now that's nice editing then, I couldn't even tell it was edited :eek:

Quick does a lot of work on OTs here for people requiring extra help. He also is an NHL-GAF guy too.

Very cool. Yeah Ill start on making the replacement image in a bit. I know its about 10am on the East Coast? But the store update goes by the West coast time right?

Let me double check on the time, its usually somewhere around noon EST.

Edit: The official time is 2-7PM EST (11AM-4PM PST)

It's on Grace Chen time, so probably sometime late Tuesday afternoon. So another 30+ hours.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I live in Toronto and am running on EST times here so when I said 4-5, I was talking about here in particular so I guess 1-2PM PST would be the right answer I believe.

Parakeetman

Quick does a lot of work on OTs here for people requiring extra help. He also is an NHL-GAF guy too.

Let me double check on the time, its usually somewhere around noon EST.

Edit: The official time is 2-7PM EST (11AM-4PM PST)

Hmm jesus at that 2-7pm spread wtf. lol

In anycase Ill get the image ready and toss it up tomorrow morning.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I live in Toronto and am running on EST times here so when I said 4-5, I was talking about here in particular so I guess 1-2PM PST would be the right answer I believe.

god I hate timezone shit so confusing lol. Esp for situations like these.

Btw how much did you pay for the standard asian edition again? I need to add that info to the OT last night tried looking at play asia but they were sold out.

In anycase Ill get the image ready and toss it up tomorrow morning.

god I hate timezone shit so confusing lol. Esp for situations like these.

Btw how much did you pay for the standard asian edition again? I need to add that info to the OT last night tried looking at play asia but they were sold out.

Yeah it can be a mess... And I'll be talking CAD here, so take in mind that I had to pay for USD exchange as well, so an actual US user might have a better answer than me.

I bought my copy through Play-Asia, and with 1-3 day shipping (which really only took one night and one day to get to me), plus customs I payed 90 something dollars. Of course the exchange rate might be different now, so like I said a US user will have a better answer than mine.

Parakeetman

Dear Parakeetman,

Thank you for rectifying my incorrect information.

I tried searching for that info prior to posting but it seems Wikipedia was the only one with correct information...

The publisher really does need to give such information properly.

-Mail

You dont have to apologize for anything, as was not your fault that wrong information came out initially.

Yeah it can be a mess... And I'll be talking CAD here, so take in mind that I had to pay for USD exchange as well, so an actual US user might have a better answer than me.

I bought my copy through Play-Asia, and with 1-3 day shipping (which really only took one night and one day to get to me), plus customs I payed 90 something dollars. Of course the exchange rate might be different now, so like I said a US user will have a better answer than mine.

Ah shit thats right since you are in Canada. Hmmm. Man I dont get why they remove the prices even when something is sold out. Never liked that about PA.

Am sure will be amusing though if you guys get it all to work. Ill have to just be on the side listening to your guys adventures as schedule doesnt even allow for me to game all that much currently. But man if the test run you folks do of the ad-hoc party does work in a serviceable fashion then can imagine will be big here in the growing community for the game.

I'm sure it will be fun too! :D Heck it would be the closest thing we might ever get to actually playing SAO online! And it would be nice to have a veteran like you in the chat, yeah given how other games can blow up like that no doubt Hollow Fragment would manage too. Maybe we should make a official Ad-Hoc Party thread depending on how big the community gets so we don't derail this thread with multiplayer meetups.

Whoa I had no idea that's really nice, looking at the way they edit I'm sure I could learn a few things :eek:

Parakeetman

I'm sure it will be fun too! :D Heck it would be the closest thing we might ever get to actually playing SAO online! And it would be nice to have a veteran like you in the chat, yeah given how other games can blow up like that no doubt Hollow Fragment would manage too, maybe we should to a official Ad-Hoc Party thread depending on how big the community gets so we don't derail this thread with multiplayer meetups.

Whoa I had no idea that's really nice, looking at the way they edit I'm sure I could learn a few things :eek:

Its fine feel free to derail it with MP talk as its related to the title and what keeps the community from spilling out into other threads. sides once you guys get generally set up with knowing each others schedules and what nots you will have your own methods of communication by then for running games with "regulars" for new folks this would be the main meeting point and such.

Lets just pray it works since the Xlink Kai stuff is a bit of a pain looking it over and from what I remember with my PSP days when I messed with it a little.

zulux21

still a way better spread then it used to be... back about 2 years ago or so the spread used to be from around 1pm.... to about 1pm the next day... usually it would actually be on the first day but it wasn't uncommon for one week to update at 4pm and the next week to update at 11pm and then the next week at 7pm... and then the week after something messes up so it isn't until like 4am the next day... it was terrible... at least now it's usually updated by the time I get home from work or shortly after.

Ah shit thats right since you are in Canada. Hmmm. Man I dont get why they remove the prices even when something is sold out. Never liked that about PA.

If I remember correctly that user with the funny Kaz avatar with the shades bought it through PA as well as having chosen the same shipping speed as me, with luck he may be from the US, he might be worth PMing or something, since I haven't seen him around as often as before.

Parakeetman

If I remember correctly that user with the funny Kaz avatar with the shades bought it through PA as well as having chosen the same shipping speed as me, with luck he may be from the US, he might be worth PMing or something, since I haven't seen him around as often as before.

hmm there is the chinese & english one for $59.99 wonder if thats it? since there is some other "asian" version but no idea what it is. :/

still a way better spread then it used to be... back about 2 years ago or so the spread used to be from around 1pm.... to about 1pm the next day... usually it would actually be on the first day but it wasn't uncommon for one week to update at 4pm and the next week to update at 11pm and then the next week at 7pm... and then the week after something messes up so it isn't until like 4am the next day... it was terrible... at least now it's usually updated by the time I get home from work or shortly after.

jesus...

garath

Cleaning out space on my 8gig card. It gets a workout. That's why I prefer to buy physical if at all possible.

Can't wait!

Parakeetman

Cleaning out space on my 8gig card. It gets a workout. That's why I prefer to buy physical if at all possible.

Can't wait!

Once the PS TV comes out you most def will want a 64 GB card. It will fill up INSANELY fast. D:

hmm there is the chinese & english one for $59.99 wonder if thats it? since there is some other "asian" version but no idea what it is. :/

jesus...

Just went to my play-Asia account and you know what I can give you a concrete answer. 76.89$USD was the price I payed for both game and shipping (1-3 days). The customs really are a tough thing to predict from country to country, state to state, province to province, for me it made my order go up to 90$, so it was around 14$.

unrealist

Sorry if this has been asked. I have never watched the anime or have any idea on the story elements. But if I am fond of PSO and JRPGs in general, will I enjoy this game?

darkwing

Sorry if this has been asked. I have never watched the anime or have any idea on the story elements. But if I am fond of PSO and JRPGs in general, will I enjoy this game?

just watch the anime, I'm pretty sure you will get hooked, since the characters are playing PSO/jRPG MMO type of game anyways :D

Parakeetman

Id say yes. Since its a pretty unique system and since you are used to action type of combat from PSO you might feel at home with this. Though its a bit more skill centric, in terms of skills you have to activate and manage over PSO though. But am sure you will get used to it quick and highly enjoy the combat and exploration aspect of the game. It really is a unique title thats why.

If you have not seen the anime you just need to watch up till Episode 14. As thats where this game will begin from as a separate story from the actual official universe. Its an alternate story basically.

Just went to my play-Asia account and you know what I can give you a concrete answer. 76.89$USD was the price I payed for both game and shipping (1-3 days). The customs really are a tough thing to predict from country to country, state to state, province to province, for me it made my order go up to 90$, so it was around 14$.

Thanks for the info and digging it up. Hmmm. Ok so Id reckon that the 59.99 price might be correct then.

The game takes place right after the events of episode 14 branching off in a different direction. Although you CAN play it, you might be a little lost /: also if you enjoyed PSO and JRPGS, you are in for a treat :) I would recommend watching the series up to that episode first though.

Stuart444

I had written about a 2 paragraph on timezone and correct use of terminology but deleted it because it went too far off topic lol.

So instead I'll just say. SAOHF is a great game and I hope people enjoy it.

People can play their own way but here is how I recommend you new players start:

Hollow Area Tutorial, choose to watch the explanation of what has occurred (if you don't, you miss the op with crossing fields but I suppose if you don't care, that doesn't matter)

Once back in the Floor Clearing hub (Arc Sofia), go through anything they tell you too (I believe you have to go back to the Hollow Area quickly before getting free reign)

Do Floor 76 and maybe 77 (don't forget the side quest guy who gives side quests each floor until floor 97) to get your bearings. Feel free to mess about with skills, using different weapons, etc. Up to you really but it's a good way to start off slowly.

After this, feel free to head to the Hollow Area and look for big monsters to fight, ones that are 20 - 40+ your level even :p.

If you reach Floor 90 before you finish the Hollow Area, beat the Hollow Area right afterwards. (or at least before you finish the game but doing it at floor 90 sounds good to me. Will also help level you up for floors 98 - 100)

If you're going for all trophies, (spoiler on a game-only character)
Grind Streas relationship rank to 5 and see her bedroom scene before floor 95. Otherwise you're screwed til NG+ HOWEVER relationship ranks carry over to NG+ if you decide not to get all trophies on your first playthrough.
Also make sure to get the Last Attack bonus if you're going for trophies. If you fail to get one, quickly exit the game at the result screen before it auto-saves. (same if anyone dies during a boss fight since there is a trophy for no deaths during boss fights as well) You should also not sell any Last Attack bonus items. I read on the PS Trophies website that you must have all of them to get the trophy but I can't confirm this myself at the moment.

Also small tip: Never underestimate the power of items, both buff ones and healing/SP related ones. The regenerative SP ones helped me a lot near the end with a few side quest
level 180 enemies :p.

Another small tip: SP Multiplayer Mode will help a LOT during the early parts where several characters are lower leveled like Silica, Sinon, Leafa and Liz

And another Small tip: Look around in the Skill list, there is 2 skills you can learn that will be useful, one increases your XP and one gives XP you earn to your party member which helps both grinding Kirito and Grinding whoever you're partied with. (I think it's in "Scout" in the skill learn window?)

Some might disagree with the start of things but I do think Floor 76 - 77 are good to do at the start while you're getting used to the gameplay systems before fighting some of the tougher enemies (especially level wise) that you'll see in the Hollow Area

edit:

AI tip from names2hard4you:

But maybe this will answer your question, each Heroine specializes in a different weapon and each one has their own set of skills and stats. All skills fall under 3 categories, ATK, BUFF and DEF that you can switch by talking to them on the field. By issuing commands and saying "nice!" after they perform a skill under that category, you will be telling her that she did exactly what you wanted, therefore nurturing her AI making that skill more likely to occur in a given situation or when you issue that particular command.

Related AI tip also from names2hard4you:

Focusing on one of the 3 branches and getting the little pentagon shape under her "character info" past the grey line unlocks a specific costume for her. I would say focusing on AI is good not only to have a reliable partner in battle but also to get her costumes. After you get all 3 you unlock the ultimate one automatically.

Some more tips from names2hard4you:

I digged back quite a bit and found this exchange I had which I think encapsulates a lot of what is being asked around here. This may be helpful, I see a lot of folks asking the same thing here, so hopefully this can shed some ligh

Sigh, I can't seem to enjoy fighting bigger monsters, but I think I'm doing something wrong.
The flow of a normal battle is:
>Keep pressing O, preferably when the circle appears for Just Attacks.
>Once your Risk is 5, switch (the >switch< is switching who the enemy targets, right?) since your points will regenerate faster.
>Spam "Good", because it replenishes your SP and since the system sometimes is really weird (AI does something worth praising but is giving me "?") so mashing it yields the best results.
>When a monster is preparing a stronger attack block or stun him (I hate that the block has such a long cooldown, but I guess it'd have been op otherwise).
>Use skills either at an end of the combo or freely if you need burst damage/stat boost.
Am I missing something?

I only got home now. I wanted to reply but typing on my phone can lead to some auto-correct jankiness so let's see if I can help you out, I'll go in the same order as your posts:

>Yes press O, but don't do it when your burst bar at the bottom of your screen is depleted. Not only will it raise your heat level, it'll also do less damage. Use skills if you have SP, or don't press anything so you can Auto-attack and regain the burst bar back! (which segways nicely with the next question)
> Heat level is 5? SWITCH!
> DO NOT SPAM GOOD! Your goal is to nurture the AI, not only to raise specific stats but to also make those specific actions that you say "Nice" to happen with more occurrence, what you are telling her now when you say "nice" all the time is that every action that she makes is good! That's bad!!! Before you get into any battles, talk to her and change her fighting style to ATK, BUFF, or DEF. From there, let's say you choose to pursue attack. Use the Heroine command wheel and ask her to perform skills (for example) in your fights. After doing so if you see "Atk Skill" on the bottom left, you will want to say "Nice"! By doing this you will be telling the AI "this is exactly what I want you to do when I ask you to perform a skill". If you are nurturing attack you don't want to say nice to anything else but that. Not only will this make the parameter that you chose level up faster, since you are focusing on it, it'll unlock that particular costume faster as well!
>Last two you got correctly!

That's it I think. If anyone wants to add on to this list, you are welcome to, but this one already a bit longish aha, sorry about that. Hope it helps you and that you enjoy the game more Hasemo!

Parakeetman

I had written about a 2 paragraph on timezone and correct use of terminology but deleted it because it went too far off topic lol.

So instead I'll just say. SAOHF is a great game and I hope people enjoy it.

People can play their own way but here is how I recommend you new players start:

Hollow Area Tutorial, choose to watch the explanation of what has occurred (if you don't, you miss the op with crossing fields but I suppose if you don't care, that doesn't matter)

Once back in the Floor Clearing hub (Arc Sofia), go through anything they tell you too (I believe you have to go back to the Hollow Area quickly before getting free reign)

Do Floor 76 and maybe 77 (don't forget the side quest guy who gives side quests each floor until floor 97) to get your bearings. Feel free to mess about with skills, using different weapons, etc. Up to you really but it's a good way to start off slowly.

After this, feel free to head to the Hollow Area and look for big monsters to fight, ones that are 20 - 40+ your level even :p.

If you reach Floor 90 before you finish the Hollow Area, beat the Hollow Area right afterwards. (or at least before you finish the game but doing it at floor 90 sounds good to me. Will also help level you up for floors 98 - 100)

If you're going for all trophies, (spoiler on a game-only character)
Grind Streas relationship rank to 5 and see her bedroom scene before floor 95. Otherwise you're screwed til NG+ HOWEVER relationship ranks carry over to NG+ if you decide not to get all trophies on your first playthrough.
Also make sure to get the Last Attack bonus if you're going for trophies. If you fail to get one, quickly exit the game at the result screen before it auto-saves. (same if anyone dies during a boss fight since there is a trophy for no deaths during boss fights as well)

Also small tip: Never underestimate the power of items, both buff ones and healing/SP related ones. The regenerative SP ones helped me a lot near the end with a few side quest
level 180 enemies :p.

Another small tip: SP Multiplayer Mode will help a LOT during the early parts where several characters are lower leveled like Silica, Sinon, Leafa and Liz

And another Small tip: Look around in the Skill list, there is 2 skills you can learn that will be useful, one increases your XP and one gives XP you earn to your party member which helps both grinding Kirito and Grinding whoever you're partied with. (I think it's in "Scout" in the skill learn window?)

Some might disagree with the start of things but I do think Floor 76 - 77 are good to do at the start while you're getting used to the gameplay systems before fighting some of the tougher enemies (especially level wise) that you'll see in the Hollow Area

No Id say that last paragraph of yours is right as Infinity moment is designed to be a lot easier than Hollow Fragment, which is meant for the more veteran players due to the level difference you will run into a lot if you try to go running amok in there with nearly nothing lol. But at the same time will reward you with better gear than the story related stuff from Infinity Moment, but I can assure you people that the game isnt going to let you just take it without a fight haha.

Im still pretty sure that if you run the personal EXP buff, then the PT member EXP buff that the buff from the personal bonus gets added to the EXP that is funneled to your partner. As the Partner buff funnels all EXP that was supposed to be the players to the Partner.

darkwing

first review of the NA version?

http://vitareviews.net/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-review/

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is a huge game. Combining the remade Infinity Moment with the new Hollow Area and dozens of recruitable characters, this is a game that will last you a very long time to beat. While there are some frame drops in certain areas of the game, you will not find a game on the PS Vita with this much content and, with the 30-hour Update on the way, it will only give you more to do from there.

The PlayStation Vita Review Network Rates Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment a 9/10.

Stuart, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Do keep that post bookmarked for the new people that might come, linking them to that, for those who don't read first pages (mrgrgr to you :) ) will for sure help them out. Great post.

Woah holy shit it's happening. This brought tears of joy to my eyes :') I truly hope that Colin Moriarty from IGN gets his hands on this too, not only because I could see him loving the heck out of this game, but because IGN has a huge following. A good review on their site could potentially sell a lot of copies in the US.

Parakeetman

For those of you (us) that cant think about anything but this game i really recommend Havian's youtube channel. He has some great (spoiler free) videos about the mechanics of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPlCkuqWQSYjecAKc-ReMKixLLDkGnT3p

Thanks for the link am sure folks will highly appreciate these videos.

Wow that was pretty fast and right before launch too. Will have to read this, jesus too much stuff to do and so little time. D:

HIR0

Stoked that more people will be able to play this wonderful game.
Haven't played lately as I've been playing FF VII and Trails in the Skies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Stuart, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Do keep that post bookmarked for the new people that might come, linking them to that, for those who don't read first pages (mrgrgr to you :) ) will for sure help them out. Great post.

Woah holy shit it's happening. This brought tears of joy to my eyes :') I truly hope that Colin Moriarty from IGN gets his hands on this too, not only because I could see him loving the heck out of this game, but because IGN has a huge following. A good review on their site could potentially sell a lot of copies in the US.

Colin was busy with Xillia 2. I doubt he had the chance.

TUSR

Banned
Parakeetman, the store updates typically at 12PM East/3PM Pacific. If you had to nail a time down to use in the OP.

Parakeetman

Colin was busy with Xillia 2. I doubt he had the chance.

btw while im still at my desk with the guide did you have any other skill related questions? or did the previous answer pretty much take care of your needs? lol.

Parakeetman, the store updates typically at 12PM East/3PM Pacific. If you had to nail a time down to use in the OP.

yeah in that case should be G2G if I up the NOW ON SALE image. Its nothing fancy since its just the word bubble updated of the NORTH AMERICA RELEASE thing or whatever it was I did super fast lol.

Stuart444

Im still pretty sure that if you run the personal EXP buff, then the PT member EXP buff that the buff from the personal bonus gets added to the EXP that is funneled to your partner. As the Partner buff funnels all EXP that was supposed to be the players to the Partner.

Honestly, I am not sure on that. I only ever used one of them because I assumed they are mutually exclusive

Parakeetman

Honestly, I am not sure on that. I only ever used one of them because I assumed they are mutually exclusive

I always do it and it seems to work. at least I pretend it does, but makes sense considering you can turn them both on at the same time. If one canceled out the other then yeah. Unless the latest update patch did make it so they work that way. As previously you can literally turn both on. Seeing how the devs are into letting player be creative, Id reckon that they are letting it work that way as EXP to player boosted by skill, which is then sent over to the partner from the other EXP skill.

---

Also those who get motion sickness I suggest against going into the FPV mode as its a bit "floaty" with how it controls and has some framerate drops on occasion depending on whats around.

Top Bottom