• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

To be fair at least it puts this game in more hands here in the west and that alone makes me happy.
is there an npc to change the hair later or do you only set it when starting
Go to your room in Aincrad. Then go to the desk at the end of the room, you can change your Kirito avatar there.

darkwing

ok, I just finished the Season 1 of the anime, absolutely loved it (except for the creepy cousin part, but I don't get their relation, was it familial?) but anyways, where does this game stand canon wise? lol

Phlebas

Banned
ok, I just finished the Season 1 of the anime, absolutely loved it (except for the creepy cousin part, but I don't get their relation, was it familial?) but anyways, where does this game stand canon wise? lol

The game continues on from epi 14

After beating Kayaba, they don't leave SAO and are still stuck.

Yup, with one character from ALO, that being Leafa
(the cousin/sister)
, and one from GGO, Sinon (best girl). Both came into this world for... let's put it this way for the sake of keeping things spoiler free, reasons :)

Can someone let me know how big the game and patch is? I'm gonna need to clear up space on my card until my 64gb card gets here in about a week.

darkwing

Yup, with one character from ALO, that being Leafa
(the cousin/sister)
, and one from GGO, Sinon (best girl). Both came into this world for... let's put it this way for the sake of keeping things spoiler free, reasons :)

Yup, it's pretty good as well.

You'll probably recognize someone who is in the second arc of SAO Season 1 though. Not, not leafa

sounds good, I'm guessing the sequel to the game will follow the story of the game as well?

Can someone let me know how big the game and patch is? I'm gonna need to clear up space on my card until my 64gb card gets here in about a week.

It's around 3.5GB from what i read here

sounds good, I'm guessing the sequel to the game will follow the story of the game as well?

You see no one knows. We here are all hoping for a GGO one. From what I have been told though, there wouldn't be much room to do what they did with this one, branch off in a completely different direction from the show and still keep it grounded like in this game (which is quite arguably better than the actual second half of the first season of the show, but I digress).

EDIT:ACCIDENTAL DP. Damn these really do happen when you get into discussions lol, my bad.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

It's around 3.5GB from what i read here

dont think so, we will all have to just wait and see what the plot would be as the game would be far far out still

Stuart444

We don't know yet, it could follow from this game, it could be another alternate story (like what if Silica or Kirito (lol) was trapped instead of Asuna in Fairy Dance arc) or it could follow the actual story of the anime/LN.

Who knows? Need to wait til they properly start talking about it lol.

darkwing

been watching some gameplay vids, your partner has it's own AI right? you can't actually control her? But you can upgrade/give her stuff etc?

also what is this Risk stuff

been watching some gameplay vids, your partner has it's own AI right? you can't actually control her? But you can upgrade/give her stuff etc?

also what is this Risk stuff

She has her own AI that you nurture by saying "Nice!" when she does a particular action under one of the 3 main skill styles that they have (ATK, DEF, BUFF), making them more likely to occur even when you don't order them to. So the only control that you have over her is giving her commands. Yes, you can give her weapons (only the ones that they are specialized in, unlike Kirito that can use anything but slight spoiler
bows
)and armor that change not only the stats but also visually.

Risk is something that builds up the more you fight an enemy. Just like in real life, risk is meant to be something that grows as conflicts drag on, and not only does it make your burst bar go up slower, it makes you take more damage. The solution to fixing it, is "Switch"-ing with your partner. This too has a cooldown so you can't just switch any time you want.

Stuart444

I believe your risk can go down as well by side stepping the enemies attacks at the 'right' time. Important while Switch is on CD (cool down)

I believe your risk can go down as well by side stepping the enemies attacks at the 'right' time. Important while Switch is on CD (cool down)
Yes you are right, as well as it giving you some SP if you are running dry and also replenishing a bit of your burst bar. Granted, side stepping too isn't something that is easy to do and it requires practice, and knowing a bit of each enemies attacks/animations. It also consumes SP so if you are on 0 SP, 0 Burst, and 5 heat/risk level... boy you are in a tough spot.

Stuart444

Yes you are right, as well as it giving you some SP if you are running dry and also replenishing a bit of your burst bar. Granted, side stepping too isn't something that is easy to do and it requires practice, and knowing a bit of each enemies attacks/animations. It also consumes SP so if you are on 0 SP, 0 Burst, and 5 heat/risk level... boy you are in a tough spot.

Hehe, and this is where battle skills come into play (or items if need be). Also yeah side stepping takes a lot of practice. I still haven't mastered it >_> (at least in a way that puts down risk, I can side step to not get killed at least)

You have a hell of a lot of tools to use at different times.

Hehe, and this is where battle skills come into play (or items if need be).

You have a hell of a lot of tools to use at different times.

Also the Heroine's command wheel something that, like I keep mentioning always, with some good AI nurturing can save your ass anytime you get in a tough spot since you will know exactly what they will be doing. A "duel shout" by them that averts the risk over to them, giving you some time to perform a skill, to heal yourself, buff yourself, whatever! Or a skill stopping attack that will stagger the enemy for a few seconds, which again would prove to be very valuable to bring yourself back to good shape... Folks this game doesn't have a tutorial, because playing the game is the best way to learn it. All of these little things are nowhere to be seen in tutorials. It's all experimenting, challenging yourself with overleveled enemies of 25-50+ lvls, bosses, Hollow Area quests... All that sweet stuff, slowly you will figure stuff out :) Heck at 80 hours I'm still learning new skill combos every day :p

Only two days left for EU GAF! :D At this point I'm a bit scared I will be a tad disappointed by the game, not because of anything bad but rather because I hyped myself into oblivion :p

Ibuki

Banned
I can't decide if I should rewatch the first season or catch up on Season 2. They both seem like viable plans. Either way I'm hyped as hell for the game, I look forward to experiencing the enjoyment most of you have so far.

darkwing

I can't decide if I should rewatch the first season or catch up on Season 2. They both seem like viable plans. Either way I'm hyped as hell for the game, look forward to experiencing the enjoyment most of you have so far.

I guess it would be good to rewatch up to Episode 14, but I went and finished Season 1 in anticipation of the game

Stuart444

I can't decide if I should rewatch the first season or catch up on Season 2. They both seem like viable plans. Either way I'm hyped as hell for the game, I look forward to experiencing the enjoyment most of you have so far.

Do both! Season 2 is pretty fun but watching S1 again isn't bad and will even remind you of how it came to the start of the game.

Do both! Season 2 is pretty fun but watching S1 again isn't bad and will even remind you of how it came to the start of the game.

I'm thoroughly enjoying season 2, and I love how the art for the series which was already great, got upgraded even further and looks even better. The character design looks much smoother and modern, and their world? GGO is a depressing, dirty place, and the art portrays that beautifully.

Is this a digital only release in the states?

Sadly yes, but on the bright side you will be getting all of the DLC, plus the massive patch that you will be getting next month that not only adds another 30hrs to the game, but also fixes some of the minor issues that the vanilla version shipped with.

EDIT: My post got beaten like the wind :p

Parakeetman

Is this a digital only release in the states?

Unfortunately yes, though at least the upside is makes it easier to jump back and forth between the PS TV when it comes out. :)

Plus you guys will be getting the extra content update too. So its not all bad really.

Still am curious to see when it comes out if anyone is going to attempt to use the ad-hoc party to see if they can connect with another GAF member. As Id imagine there would be laughs to be had if you guys can figure out how to party up online together. Zero posts in the Xlink Kai thread I made so am guessing we wont be getting any info from that angle unfortunately.

Dramatic morning.

The dawn of the final day.

I'm happy for you guy can play it tomorrow already and looking forward to all the impressions! Heck I might be close in talking a friend into buying a Vita again just for this game :D

And is it just me or does your avatar look like a mix of Kill la Kill and something else?

Still am curious to see when it comes out if anyone is going to attempt to use the ad-hoc party to see if they can connect with another GAF member. As Id imagine there would be laughs to be had if you guys can figure out how to party up online together. Zero posts in the Xlink Kai thread I made so am guessing we wont be getting any info from that angle unfortunately.

Just for all the new people streaming into the thread today and tomorrow, I would be willing to do a Ad-Hoc Party test if there's anyone else with the EU or US version that wants to test :)

Personally I wish I actually had the game digitally, as it is much better to have a game like this on you at all times. I'm one of those that finds it a drag to switch cartridges you see :p This game, specially the Hollow Area is very nice for quick bursts of play and exploration, so you can juggle this game with something else on the side. The Vita's Sleep function is also your best friend, since you can't manually save the game. The game saves automatically when you switch areas, so if you want to close it, make sure to leave the area and then come back again in order to save in that map.

darkwing

I'm happy for you guy can play it tomorrow already and looking forward to all the impressions! Heck I might be close in talking a friend into buying a Vita again just for this game :D

has your friend watched the anime? let him watch gameplay videos after

everyone is so antsy because it is coming out tomorrow :D

Parakeetman

And is it just me or does your avatar look like a mix of Kill la Kill and something else?

I suppose the way "switching" with your friends online would work is them having to actually including yourself to be equipped with the right skills to drop / pull the hate from said target. Would take communication and coordination, but man am sure it will be amusing.

Im not sure how it works with humans since Im pretty sure it was that human players have their actual partners with them, which might mean you can actually give them commands normally.

From what I have been seeing on the web this is shaping up to be another Persona 4 Golden all over again. And that really makes me happy, Vita, dead or alive, still has constant content coming out, and this one really is one of it's top tier gems.

Top Bottom