• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Colin was busy with Xillia 2. I doubt he had the chance.

I think his stuff is the only reason I still visit IGN. Him and of course Greg Miller and Daemon Hatfield. All great Sony peeps, love reading their stuff, specially Colin's. The guy has quite a rich vocabulary, and his reviews are a joy to read. I wonder if IGN will even get around to reviewing this game...

Stuart444

Stuart, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Do keep that post bookmarked for the new people that might come, linking them to that, for those who don't read first pages (mrgrgr to you :) ) will for sure help them out. Great post.

Thanks, I just started writing out what came to mind when thinking about my time with the game and how I could help people.

I always do it and it seems to work. at least I pretend it does, but makes sense considering you can turn them both on at the same time. If one canceled out the other then yeah. Unless the latest update patch did make it so they work that way. As previously you can literally turn both on. Seeing how the devs are into letting player be creative, Id reckon that they are letting it work that way as EXP to player boosted by skill, which is then sent over to the partner from the other EXP skill.

Well, this is my next thing to try. English version doesn't come out til Wednesday so if I have time before then, I might try it on my JP version.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks, I just started writing out what came to mind when thinking about my time with the game and how I could help people.

Well, this is my next thing to try. English version doesn't come out til Wednesday so if I have time before then, I might try it on my JP version.

That indeed was a good post.

If some of my vids you can actually see me having it active like that lol. As those was leveling the partners over myself.

the other point that you brought up about advancing the story a bit by clearing floors also is useful due to it unlocks lisbeths shop where she can upgrade your weapons a bit. Though Im pretty sure her levels up how much she can upgrade is based off of how far you are in certain points of the story. so if it ever seems like you hit a wall, advance the aincrad side of the story more.

Parakeetman

Agreed. I encourage everyone to pick this up.

I cleared out space on my memory card and ready for tomorrow. Like others, I may re-watch part of SAO to get ready. :)

might as well with how it sounds like launch day time for you guys is russian roulette lol

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
btw while im still at my desk with the guide did you have any other skill related questions? or did the previous answer pretty much take care of your needs? lol.

yeah in that case should be G2G if I up the NOW ON SALE image. Its nothing fancy since its just the word bubble updated of the NORTH AMERICA RELEASE thing or whatever it was I did super fast lol.

It helped out a lot! Thanks. I went to bed after posting so yeah lol.

Aerocrane

I know that the OP states that the game takes place from episode 14 onward, but does it reference story events that takes place after episode 14? I'm on episode 10 and wondering if I should just marathon the rest of it before playing the game.

Parakeetman

It helped out a lot! Thanks. I went to bed after posting so yeah lol.

no problem if you have any further questions just let me know, if its more specific stuff has to wait till im home since got the guide by the PC. its a fantastic guide really the JP one. I could see folks in the US buy this guide if it was localized. Its insanely huge too possibly a little thicker than a US Quarter in width with the pages. Or maybe about the same size.

I know that the OP states that the game takes place from episode 14 onward, but does it reference story events that takes place after episode 14? I'm on episode 10 and wondering if I should just marathon the rest of it before playing the game.

Yeah it literally starts from Episode 14. Wont say what happens, but yeah basically after that the story branches off from the anime onto its own original plot. So watching past Ep 14 really wont help you too much with the story for the game :)

darkwing

after episode 14, it goes into an alternate storyline

Only substantial things that you will see right awa that carry over to this alternate plot from both the second arc of the show, and the current season is two characters, Leafa and Sinon.

Stuart444

There is a character who you may not recognize (No, not Leafa) unless you watch the second arc but besides that, you're fine I think if you don't want to watch the rest of the series.
The persons voice is easily recognizable even if the avatar is slightly different in SAO

Parakeetman

If I had more time Id actually go edit this to make everyone holding giant PSN cards just to take a piss out of the fact its digital only lol. was a pain in the ass enough putting those JP LE boxes in there haha

LlhzrBN.png

Stuart444

If I had more time Id actually go edit this to make everyone holding giant PSN cards just to take a piss out of the fact its digital only lol. was a pain in the ass enough putting those JP LE boxes in there haha

LlhzrBN.png

I didn't even realize til I think this thread opened up that Klein was there during the first few moments of SAO ep 1 when I saw that picture lol. It went by so quickly and I don't analyze frame by frame so I didn't think anything of it.

TUSR

Banned
I didn't even realize til I think this thread opened up that Klein was there during the first few moments of SAO ep 1 when I saw that picture lol. It went by so quickly and I don't analyze frame by frame so I didn't think anything of it.

holy crap, I didn't even realize Klein was there.

Voror

This one came out of nowhere for me since I thought the thread was for the import or something. Liked the first half of the show for the most part despite seeing unrealized potential, but really didn't care for the second part.

Of course now I'm not sure whether to get it immediately or wait till the update is out with its improvements.

This one came out of nowhere for me since I thought the thread was for the import or something. Liked the first half of the show for the most part despite seeing unrealized potential, but really didn't care for the second part.

Of course now I'm not sure whether to get it immediately or wait till the update is out with its improvements.

It's unanimous around these parts, everyone thinks this game makes a better second arc than ALO did lol! And I would say if you plan on getting it do it now. First week sales are very important for companies, and really in 1 month you won't have gone through even 15% of what this game has to offer.

darkwing

It's unanimous around these parts, everyone thinks this game makes a better second arc than ALO did lol! And I would say if you plan on getting it do it now. First week sales are very important for companies, and really in 1 month you won't have gone through even 15% of what this game has to offer.

yeah, this is my reasoning as well, as the update is mostly higher level stuff anyways, and we need BN to localize the sequel to the game D:

Stuart444

I still say I liked ALO but I hated
the Asuna being trapped thing after how badass she was in SAO, She got like 4 minutes of badass screentime in ALO when she broke out but that was it :(

I like how SAO is focused on a non-magical world with mainly sword skills while ALO focuses on magic more (though you do get Sword-like skills in it as well but it's main focus, was on magic). They compliment each other nicely imo.

Still this is a VERY good alternative telling of what the second arc could have been. If you enjoyed the first arc, you'll enjoy this imo. (story wise at least)

matmanx1

I actually picked up the Blu-ray boxed set 1 and 2 (the Aincrad arc) and started re-watching the series this weekend. I made it up through episode 7 last night and it is providing me with a good refresher of the characters and places in Aincrad. it also makes me think we need a game that takes place on floors 1 - 74 of Aincrad and fills in all of that backstory!

Anyway, is it tomorrow yet? I'm ready to play!

I still say I liked ALO but I hated
the Asuna being trapped thing after how badass she was in SAO, She got like 4 minutes of badass screentime in ALO when she broke out but that was it :(

I like how SAO is focused on a non-magical world with mainly sword skills while ALO focuses on magic more (though you do get Sword-like skills in it as well but it's main focus, was on magic). They compliment each other nicely imo.

Still this is a VERY good alternative telling of what the second arc could have been. If you enjoyed the first arc, you'll enjoy this imo. (story wise at least)

I am with you 100% I am part of the minority that enjoyed the whole show as a whole, but I gotta call them when I see them.
What they did with Asuna was pretty bad and distasteful I think. You don't trap a main character like that, and do all that sexual harassment to her just because, but whatever.
I loved SAOs world too, but I gotta admit, with Destiny right around the corner, GGO only gets me more hyped for that game. It actually reminds me a lot of it aha.

Parakeetman

im trying to convert it to the western ot duckroll said its all good to do so. just might need another day tonight too much work at home taking priority currently. but all the info is the same and everyone is here anyways.

Stuart444

I actually picked up the Blu-ray boxed set 1 and 2 (the Aincrad arc) and started re-watching the series this weekend. I made it up through episode 7 last night and it is providing me with a good refresher of the characters and places in Aincrad. it also makes me think we need a game that takes place on floors 1 - 74 of Aincrad and fills in all of that backstory!

Anyway, is it tomorrow yet? I'm ready to play!

NOOOO, then we have to deal with
Sachi
all over again :(

(floors 1 - 75 is the only way I'd actually be happy with a new game set in SAO, another alternative story of 76+ is too much imo)

Parakeetman

I'm intrigued by this game. Am I reading correctly that the localization is a little lackluster though?

For the US / EU versions still have not had concrete reports yet as of this time. A linked review didnt seem to mention anything about it which could have one imagine that it might be not too bad. But still guess we will find out tomorrow for sure.

Stuart444

I'm intrigued by this game. Am I reading correctly that the localization is a little lackluster though?

Not the best but not horrible from what others have said.

More reports will probably come in tomorrow/Wednesday. Nothing bad has been said about the gameplay though (outside of animation stuff) so I'm curious how others will react when it's out in the wild in US/EU land.

Letep

For the US / EU versions still have not had concrete reports yet as of this time. A linked review didnt seem to mention anything about it which could have one imagine that it might be not too bad. But still guess we will find out tomorrow for sure.

More reports will probably come in tomorrow/Wednesday. Nothing bad has been said about the gameplay though (outside of animation stuff) so I'm curious how others will react when it's out in the wild in US/EU land.

Ok, thanks! I will definitely be curious to read more reviews.

Parakeetman

Wonder if they really did the unthinkable then and lowballed it with using the Asia text and trying to fix it from there? Which personally is a lot more work and errors will stick out more if they are missed. Do think it might be the case seeing what the English site looks like. The non US one that is with the EFIGS selection for languages. Since the English in that one most def was not done by a native speaker.

Regardless of that at least the content update is coming out and thats folks main concern!

Parakeetman

Wonder if they really did the unthinkable then and lowballed it with using the Asia text and trying to fix it from there? Which personally is a lot more work and errors will stick out more if they are missed. Do think it might be the case seeing what the English site looks like. The non US one that is with the EFIGS selection for languages. Since the English in that one most def was not done by a native speaker.

Regardless of that at least the content update is coming out and thats folks main concern!

Yeah I'm glad they are actually bringing that, and just one month after the release which is great. Folks get their feet wet (yes cause in a month I can assure that almost no one will be done with this game yet lol) and then see how the changes made through are quite revolutionary. The ability to finally string skills for once, is a god send. In vanilla you'd have to perform the skill, wait for the animation to end and then press the next one. Now? There's no such thing. The skill combos that would usually take me about 10-15 secs to perform now I can do in 1-2 seconds.

Parakeetman

Yeah I'm glad they are actually bringing that, and just one month after the release which is great. Folks get their feet wet (yes cause in a month I can assure that almost no one will be done with this game yet lol) and then see how the changes made through are quite revolutionary. The ability to finally string skills for once, is a god send. In vanilla you'd have to perform the skill, wait for the animation to end and then press the next one. Now? There's no such thing. The skill combos that would usually take me about 10-15 secs to perform now I can do in 1-2 seconds.

Its kinda funny since I never really used the skill combos I think. Mine was about causing status effects and keeping the enemy locked down. Though most def having done proper skill chains would be far far more effective. lol I really wish I had footage of me, mogura, lisbeth and strea doing the AI MP stuff in the Hollow Area as those poor bosses getting constantly stun locked then strea just dealing insane amounts of damage. If you use Klien then he will be causing massive bleeding all the time which makes the whole constant stun locking you are doing with the 3 other characters even more effective. Its roflstomping at its finest.

My usual buffing string consists of about 8-9skills all properly aligned downwards in the big skill grid for me to just LT+RT+TRIANGLE, deplete my SP activating them all, finishing off with the PFT skill that costs 0SP and not only brings your SP back to max along with your burst, but also giving you 100% HIT rate plus CRIT rate up. No lvl 180 has got shit on my 120 Kirito this way lol!

It's amazing how everyone must have different play styles since there's no real tutorial. These combos are all personal ideas put together by your own play style and experiences with the game. I encourage folks to experiment with them, by fight higher level enemies!

Parakeetman

My usual buffing string consists of about 8-9skills all properly aligned downwards in the big skill grid for me to just LT+RT+TRIANGLE, deplete my SP activating them all, finishing off with the PFT skill that costs 0SP and not only brings your SP back to max along with your burst, but also giving you 100% HIT rate plus CRIT rate up. No lvl 180 has got shit on my 120 Kirito this way lol!

It's amazing how everyone must have different play styles since there's no real tutorial. These combos are all personal ideas put together by your own play style and experiences with the game. I encourage folks to experiment with them, by fight higher level enemies!

Mine switches depending on what I plan on hunting. Though I generally just main the 2H Axe, Katana, Mace / Shield and sometimes the 2H Sword.

For those of you early on who want to level up faster most def get a 2H Axe, just be ready to take a lot of potential damage too as your dodge rating will be quite low. Though you can kill a bunch of weaker enemies at once with the sweeping arc type of attack skills it has.

All good choices, I really want to unlock the 2handed sword since I have one with over 1000 damage and a bunch of buffs on it (+120 strength, wtf!) but the 1h sword, just like the rapier are such a slog to use...

TUSR

Banned
Kirito won the popularity contest. If I link the Twitter post for the runners up I'll probably lose my internet privlages at work.

LowParry

Oh wow this comes out tomorrow? And story based, having only watched the first "season" this doesn't do with anything with second? Yeah, I'm down. Let's do this.

I want to get this in Canada. Is there any chance that it comes out here? I can't see it on Amazon.ca or EB Games but it says NA release soon on wikipedia. Confusing. =/

EDIT: Download only. Makes sense. :)

My body is ready,

We have to wait until Dear Chen updates the store someday tomorrow...
I'm really thinking in bringing my vita to work so I can download it inmediately after the store updates.

Parakeetman

My body is ready,

We have to wait until Dear Chen updates the store someday tomorrow...
I'm really thinking in bringing my vita to work so I can download it inmediately after the store updates.

lol I did that for freedom wars and tethered it to my phone downloaded the whole damned gmae that way... almost killed my monthly data limit doing that tho :D

Arthos

lol I did that for freedom wars and tethered it to my phone downloaded the whole damned gmae that way... almost killed my monthly data limit doing that tho :D

LOL. I might actually have to do that for SAO depending on when the store updates. Must play it during my break!

Parakeetman

LOL. I might actually have to do that for SAO depending on when the store updates. Must play it during my break!

since am surrounded by a secure network didnt have any other choice was surprised it actually worked out ok and managed to get the game no problem.

Top Bottom