• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Ryuukan

Is this still in the game

ljpkPCn.png

ramyeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxDHIQFqIIQ

BlueMaxima's SAO vid.

Honestly from the quick check I did, some awkward phrasing, some phrasing looks perfectly normal outside of some punctuation issues.

So yeah, it will probably be a mix of awkward lines and normal-ish lines
Really? I haven't skipped around but right off the bat the first conversation in the video is full of grammatical errors and awkward phrasing that have obviously been carried over from the Asian Version script :/ really disappointed tbh.

Stuart444

Really? I haven't skipped around but right off the bat the first conversation in the video is full of grammatical errors that have obviously been carried over from the Asian Version script :/ really disappointed tbh.

I looked at the first 5 - 10 minute convo, some awkwardness and some normal lines mixed in. It's very mixed.

How much is changed from the asian script, only someone who has played both would be able to say.

Stuart444

Huh, the Bluemaxima dude on twitter said his e-mail had no embargo. That's odd. He also said it's not the first time he's had that happen (someone sending him an e-mail with no embargo).

ramyeon

Huh, the Bluemaxima dude on twitter said his e-mail had no embargo. That's odd. He also said it's not the first time he's had that happen (someone sending him an e-mail with no embargo).
An embargo on this game doesn't make much sense to me since it's been out in "Engrish" for so long.

I'm torn now... I just know that the poor localisation is going to be bugging me the whole time I play this game :(

Stuart444

In that conversation Klein is recapping the fight with Heathcliff as if he was the one who fought. Wherever it should say "Kirito" it says "I". Really poor.

It's a joke, I'm listening to the Japanese and he doesn't say or imply Kirito. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, my listening skills aren't the best). Infact, I'm pretty sure he says Ore (Masculine 'I') several times while explaining it.

Klein is just having some fun, bigging himself up to people who weren't there and gets told off by Asuna for it

Mendrox

It's a joke, I'm listening to the Japanese and he doesn't say or imply Kirito. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, my listening skills aren't the best).

Klein is just having some fun, bigging himself up to people who weren't there and gets told off by Asuna for it

Don't have audio right now, but I was shocked at first lol. Klein being Klein. So nothing to worry right now.

ramyeon

It's a joke, I'm listening to the Japanese and he doesn't say or imply Kirito. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, my listening skills aren't the best).

Yeah sorry, it's midnight here and I'm half asleep in bed watching on mute lol. I edited my post once I realised. Still a lot of errors in the text, it really shouldn't be excused for a game that's being localised for English speaking markets.

Even silly spelling errors and typos to boot.

Kirito: "You are embarrassing he..." Instead of "me". Smh, there should have been more effort put into this.

Stuart444

Yeah sorry, it's midnight here and I'm half asleep in bed watching on mute lol. I edited my post once I realised. Still a lot of errors in the text, it really shouldn't be excused for a game that's being localised for English speaking markets.

I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. If it wasn't for the asian translation, game wouldn't be released here at all.

They have at least fixed some stuff and who knows, maybe they will fix more errors and include it in the patch? (maybe, it may also depend on how early sales go though I'm not too worried about sales based on the excitement in here)

If people are bothered by the translation but enjoy the game otherwise, I do recommend asking the Bandai Namco Twitter accounts. I mean it can't hurt really.

ramyeon

I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. If it wasn't for the asian translation, game wouldn't be released here at all.

They have at least fixed some stuff and who knows, maybe they will fix more errors and include it in the patch? (maybe, it may also depend on how early sales go though I'm not too worried about sales based on the excitement in here)

If people are bothered by the translation but enjoy the game otherwise, I do recommend asking the Bandai Namco Twitter accounts. I mean it can't hurt really.
Oh that wasn't directed at you, I'm just saying there's no excuses for so little effort put into localising a title. If they're going to put something out in a territory with English as a first language they need to do it properly, especially since it's a product people are paying for. At the end of the day I'm just super disappointed, because it's a game that I was really looking forward to and was especially looking forward to the new translation that reps here had promised.

I doubt they'll be fixing it up any more through patches since they didn't put in the effort the first time around :(

Stuart444

I doubt they'll be fixing it up any more through patches since they didn't put in the effort the first time around :(

The reason for this is like I said above, they wanted it out quickly and cheaply, if it sells well then you never know. They might consider it more worthy of their resources.

Which will make the sequel more likely to have resources put onto it for localizing.

You haven't played the game right? (since you don't have the asian version, I'm assuming) If so, I hope the gameplay is good enough even if you are disappointed in the translating. It plays far better than I expected when I first heard about the game.

To me it just kind of shows that they have no faith in their product or that they are just trying to make a quick buck out of it by releasing a half passed localization, you see what I mean. I'm not taking sides, but I have to call them when I see them... This is such a great game that having it rushed like this is a bit disheartening.

Stuart444

To me it just kind of shows that they have no faith in their product or that they are just trying to make a quick buck out of it by releasing a half passed localization, you see what I mean. I'm not taking sides, but I have to call them when I see them... This is such a great game that having it rushed like this is a bit disheartening.

It's a Vita title of a licensed product. What do you think? :p

Like I said, if it sells well, it will instill faith for the future. That is the important part especially with the sequel being in production.

ramyeon

The reason for this is like I said above, they wanted it out quickly and cheaply, if it sells well then you never know. They might consider it more worthy of their resources.

Which will make the sequel more likely to have resources put onto it for localizing.

You haven't played the game right? (since you don't have the asian version, I'm assuming) If so, I hope the gameplay is good enough even if you are disappointed in the translating. It plays far better than I expected when I first heard about the game.
Yeah I have no doubt the game plays great, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it on that alone. But it deserves so much better than this if the game is as good as people say. It's just so disappointing because it could have been even better but it's going to be marred by this localisation effort. This will affect how the game is received in a negative way.
Exactly how I feel.

Stuart444

Yeah I have no doubt the game plays great, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it on that alone. But it deserves so much better than this if the game is as good as people say. It's just so disappointing because it could have been even better but it's going to be marred by this localisation effort. This will affect how the game is received in a negative way.

Indeed. Like I said, I'm not trying to defend it, just explain it. If I was given the opportunity, I'd go through the script for free just to fix up basic errors (which I imagine would take me about a week if I spend most of my night doing it) but alas, this is the reality of the situation.

I imagine they also worried about people importing the asian version hence the rush to get it out in August and considering the amount of people who went for that choice, I can understand why they were worried about it.

But again, I'm not defending it since there is plenty of errors that could have been fixed quite quickly. (and I say that with no knowledge of how the company functions when it comes to editing stuff like this lol)

ramyeon

Indeed. Like I said, I'm not trying to defend it, just explain it. If I was given the opportunity, I'd go through the script for free just to fix up basic errors (which I imagine would take me about a week if I spend most of my night doing it) but alas, this is the reality of the situation.

I imagine they also worried about people importing the asian version hence the rush to get it out in August and considering the amount of people who went for that choice, I can understand why they were worried about it.

But again, I'm not defending it since there is plenty of errors that could have been fixed quite quickly. (and I say that with no knowledge of how the company functions when it comes to editing stuff like this lol)
Yeah man, I'm sure they could have easily put out a better translation if they believed it to be worth the effort. Seems like the Asian Version was there and they saw a chance to make a quick buck without having to retranslate a game from scratch.

BlueMaxima says that they still refer to going into dungeons sometimes as "penetrating" as well. Didn't people with review copies here say that had been changed?

Stuart444

Yeah man, I'm sure they could have easily put out a better translation if they believed it to be worth the effort. Seems like the Asian Version was there and they saw a chance to make a quick buck without having to retranslate a game from scratch.

BlueMaxima says that they still refer to going into dungeons sometimes as "penetrating" as well. Didn't people with review copies here say that had been changed?

It's changed in the more noticeable places, I'm guessing it happens later in the game.

I wonder if the software they use to edit the lines have a find and replace function. If not, it should, fixing up certain reoccurring things would be a lot easier then.

ramyeon

will trust Kayos90 over someone who was banned from gaf
They're not banned anymore, not that it matters, even I've been banned from GAF before. Kinda irrelevant :p

The video doesn't lie, the localisation is really poor.
It's changed in the more noticeable places, I'm guessing it happens later in the game.

I wonder if the software they use to edit the lines have a find and replace function. If not, it should, fixing up certain reoccurring things would be a lot easier then.
Sounds like a no brainer really doesn't it? No idea how that kind of thing works though.

Listonosh

They're not banned anymore, not that it matters, even I've been banned from GAF before. Kinda irrelevant :p

The video doesn't lie, the localisation is really poor.

Sounds like a no brainer really doesn't it? No idea how that kind of thing works though.

Yeah it's certainly not consistently bad, but there are lines sprinkled in that made me cringe.

The game did play great though, and I was lucky enough to have most of the systems explained to me so I won't be completely lost once the game comes out today.

Stuart444

Yeah it's certainly not consistently bad, but there are lines sprinkled in that made me cringe.

The game did play great though, and I was lucky enough to have most of the systems explained to me so I won't be completely lost once the game comes out today.

Glad to hear it, like I said, I am really curious how reviewers liked the gameplay, I've not heard much bad about the gameplay at all from others outside of animations.

Stuart444

You know, now that I am looking at the game (from the video that's been posted) after having played the JP version with the patch, I am starting to notice some of the slower animations.

Maybe because it's a video or maybe like I said, it's because I've played the game with the patch lol. I'll get used to it again though I'm sure.

edit: also BlueMaxima seems to like it. Great, more positive press even with the already mentioned issues :)

garath

So if I decide to pick this up I should just get the Asian version since it's a physical release?

Despite greatly preferring physical for Vita (thanks 8gig card), I am buying NA digital version for a few reasons:

- Support more JRPG localizations
- Cheaper
- I'll have it today instead of a couple weeks or whatever it'll take for PlayAsia to ship it

Also don't you need a Chinese PSN account or something to patch the Asian version? I may be wrong about that. But if you do need it, I don't want the hassle.

Koppai

Despite greatly preferring physical for Vita (thanks 8gig card), I am buying NA digital version for a few reasons:

- Cheaper
- I'll have it today instead of a couple weeks or whatever it'll take for PlayAsia to ship it

Also don't you need a Chinese PSN account or something to patch the Asian version? I may be wrong about that. But if you do need it, I don't want the hassle.
Yeah but it looks like they just took the Asian version and released it here considering how every line of text is littered with grammatical errors lol. But you may have a point. I just don't want to buy a new Vita memory card.

Ryuukan

- Cheaper

you dont need it for patches but you would need it for the DLC

Stuart444

Yeah but it looks like they just took the Asian version and released it here considering how every line of text is littered with grammatical errors lol. But you may have a point. I just don't want to buy a new Vita memory card.

They took the asian version, used it as a base, edited some stuff and then released it.

Still littered with errors lol but it's a little better.

you dont need it for patches but you would need it for the DLC

Yeah and the DLC is free and is coming out here as well (until November at least) :)

antibolo

Banned
Oh boy, according to BlueMaxima's video they still talk about penetrations in the western release.

So I guess it's really the exact same text then.

matmanx1

Ok so how many people brought their Vita with them to work today so they could start downloading as soon as the game drops? Both myself and our web/IT guy (who shares my office) brought ours with us!

After all, if I've got time to get some or all of that 3+ GB's downloaded here at work then that would just be more time to actually play later tonight when I get home!

ramyeon

Oh boy, according to BlueMaxima's video they still talk about penetrations in the western release.

So I guess it's really the exact same text then.
Not exactly the same, but I'm watching his video and Asuna just said "Penetrate!" during battle when attacking, so yeah.

Stuart444

Ok so how many people brought their Vita with them to work today so they could start downloading as soon as the game drops? Both myself and our web/IT guy (who shares my office) brought ours with us!

After all, if I've got time to get some or all of that 3+ GB's downloaded here at work then that would just be more time to actually play later tonight when I get home!

Haha, that's a good idea considering it can take a bit to download and all.

Not exactly the same, but I'm watching his video and Asuna just said "Penetrate!" during battle when attacking, so yeah.

To me, that might still seem weird but in context, it's not that bad. It's attacking an enemy and all.

Heh, I did. My co-worker is anxious to see it as well. He's a big SAO fan and will probably end up buying a Vita for the game. When's it supposed to hit the PSN store? Same time the embargo lifts?

Ohnonono

Heh, I did. My co-worker is anxious to see it as well. He's a big SAO fan and will probably end up buying a Vita for the game. When's it supposed to hit the PSN store? Same time the embargo lifts?

I work till 6pm EST. Usually games are available by the time I get home on Tuesdays. Anything before that is a crapshoot.

ramyeon

Haha, that's a good idea considering it can take a bit to download and all.

To me, that might still seem weird but in context, it's not that bad. It's attacking an enemy and all.
Yeah it's not as bad, but it's still not exactly natural. I mean technically even when said in reference to the dungeons it is correct but it's just that the word is hardly used with that definition in mind anymore.

Stuart444

Yeah it's not as bad, but it's still not exactly natural. I mean technically even when said in reference to the dungeons it is correct but it's just that the word is hardly used with that definition in mind anymore.

I don't think I've ever heard the word used like the way it was in reference to dungeons before honestly lol.

ramyeon

I don't think I've ever heard the word used like the way it was in reference to dungeons before honestly lol.
I have, it also means to gain access to a place, especially somewhere difficult to access or to force your way into something/somewhere. For example from a dictionary: "M15 had been penetrated by Russian intelligence". At the end of the day penetrate is the least of my issues with the localisation lol.

Top Bottom