• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You can easily say pierce instead of penetrate. Also people have associated the word penetrate to insinuate lewd intentions far too much now.

ramyeon

It's still one of the funniest issues with the Asian localization. Seriously, Asuna's face in that scene when that is said is priceless.
Haha yeah the context and portraits made it a really bizarre choice of word, I feel like a lot of stuff was machine translated or just translated directly from a dictionary, which would make sense. I can imagine the original Japanese being a word that directly translates to penetrate.

I don't think I've ever heard the word used like the way it was in reference to dungeons before honestly lol.

I have, it also means to gain access to a place, especially somewhere difficult to access or to force your way into something/somewhere. For example from a dictionary: "M15 had been penetrated by Russian intelligence". At the end of the day penetrate is the least of my issues with the localisation lol.

Well not to let the translation off the hook as there are really better words to use but if I remember correctly it's also often said in World of Tanks :p

I'm still home since it's raining like mad at the moment :(

ramyeon

Well not to let the translation off the hook as there are really better words to use but if I remember correctly it's also often said in World of Tanks :p

I'm still home since it's raining like mad at the moment :(
Oh yeah, phrases like "penetrate the enemy forces" are pretty common too. Just the context (Or lack thereof?) and the screenshot made it more odd here. There are waaay bigger issues with the translation than that word, unfortunately they're not funny and just bad grammar :/

Arthos

It would be kinda cool to know just how many lines they changed throughout the game.

Whatever. Still getting it and hyped.

Stuart444

itnvH5Tuec6mS.png

This is what the tutorial looks like in Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment (taken using PPSSPP so it looks a little better than it does on actual HW) for anyone curious about the UI/what it looked like before it was ported to the Vita.

ramyeon

This is what the tutorial looks like in Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment (taken using PPSSPP so it looks a little better than it does on actual HW) for anyone curious about the UI/what it looked like before it was ported to the Vita.
Haha I remember seeing this shot back when I first heard about HF being an upgraded version of a PSP title. Huge improvement.

Stuart444

Haha I remember seeing this shot back when I first heard about HF being an upgraded version of a PSP title. Huge improvement.

Yup, also when I used Star Burst stream, it cuts away to a cutscene style of me doing it (with a black background) and it does it every time. This is just from the tutorial though but still.

HF is a LOT faster paced. Infact all the changes are basically for the better in HF.

Yasumi

Banned
After reading Jojo Part 4: Duwang edition, my tolerance for engrish is pretty high.

I'll just think of it as the in-universe automated speech-to-text translator isn't perfect. Can't wait for it to go up.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm gonna be honest, while it's not a deal-breaker, the bad localization is a HUGE minus for me. I can't stand poor grammar/typos in stuff I'm paying for. It's like when I buy a self-published e-book on Amazon with a promising description only to find out it's borderline unreadable, except about thirty times more expensive.

Stuart444

I'm actually surprised they didn't mention the translation. I heard a lot of complaints about the camera though, that was fixed in the big patch update right?

I think it was but I don't even remember what the camera was like before the patch honestly lol.

Also imo they didn't mention everything they probably should have besides translation but hey, they liked it so that's a good thing.

Holy... o.o That's quite the huge improvement alright :eek: I'm glad they did so much to improve the game :D

Oh yeah, phrases like "penetrate the enemy forces" are pretty common too. Just the context (Or lack thereof?) and the screenshot made it more odd here. There are waaay bigger issues with the translation than that word, unfortunately they're not funny and just bad grammar :/

Yeah of course I know it's mostly just the context and Asuna's face that add to the hilarity and that the rest of the issues aren't as funny and rather annoying :/ Still all in all I rather have the game this way than never and if they fix it up for a supposed second game all is good in my book.

ramyeon

Huh, I'm going to have to try that I think. Didn't even know about that lol.
Haha guess it's not a huge issue then. I remember Havian mentioning it in his series of videos on the game, pretty sure he said they fixed it in the patch so that zoom is controlled in another way.

Stuart444

That patch is coming to NA in about a month, right? I'm wondering if I should wait for that to play it.
Yup on the 24th I believe. And I would say get it now, get ur feet wet (because 1 month isn't enough to clear this game I can guarantee you that, you'll probably get 7 or so floors done in Aincrad and a whole bunch of exploring in the Hollow Area ) go up some floors, and be excited when the patch drops and u realize how much better and accessible everything is.

ramyeon

Here's our review, I'd love it if you could add it to the OP :)

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-review/

8.5/10

I played it myself and really enjoyed it, although I did have minor issues like silly mistakes in the script, visuals feeling like uprezzed PSP textures, and so on. But as a fan of the series, I was really damn happy :3
Not sure why you compared the game with MonHun since they're completely different genres, but good review otherwise!

ramyeon

Quite a few people have said this looked like a MonHun game so that didn't bother me when reading it lol.
Haha I'm having a pretty tough time thinking of similarities, there are for sure a bunch of hunting action games on Vita but this is definitely not one of them lol.

I liked this review, it covered a lot and was a good read. :)

thank you!!! i was worried I rambled too much.

Dammit that review is NSFW. *sigh* stuart why?

Oh, apologies for that. our main fanbase loves fanservice, so I gave examples of the more intimate moments with the girls. there's no t&a shown though, just very suggestive poses :p

Not sure why you compared the game with MonHun since they're completely different genres, but good review otherwise!

I just felt like a bunch of the areas were like MH maps. i also consider them both action rgps and I tried to just touch on the popularity of MH, and how lots of devs are trying that formula on handhelds. its definitely a different experience tho

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
From the niche gamer review:
The game performs beautifully, and I rarely saw any potential slowdown
Let's not get overboard here, the game loses some frames in some early fields and can slow to a crawl when you meet a group of NPCs in town, which happens very often, even post patch. :(

From the niche gamer review:

Let's not get overboard here, the game loses some frames in some early fields and can slow to a crawl when you meet a group of NPCs in town, which happens very often, even post patch. :(

hmmm... I see what you mean. I mean I tolerated New Little Kings Story on vita, so this wasn't as bad in comparison imo

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
hmmm... I see what you mean. I mean I tolerated New Little Kings Story on vita, so this wasn't as bad in comparison imo
Ha, ha, LKS was a very extreme example, that's true. I have yet to play a game with worse framerate problems on a console.

Top Bottom