• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ramyeon

I know he was a GAFfer at one point, but I believe he was banned for being unnecessarily aggressive in another topic a while back. He's still pretty active on reddit, but his attitude isn't really my cup of tea.
Never spoken to him, his videos are alright. Not the best around but he's quick and shows off decent amounts of gameplay.

Edit: Looks like he is a user here still, not banned anymore.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Never spoken to him, his videos are alright. Not the best around but he's quick and shows off decent amounts of gameplay.

btw got you and a few others added to the special thanks section. shit just remembered another person need to add for the tutorial vids.

need to make a community content section / review section too. but dont remember the settings I used for the font sizes and whatnots as this was an OT I did before keeping notes on everything... D: Orz

Stuart444

On the translation issues, I'll just say, this has been obvious to me from the get go. The short release time from the JP/Asian til now and all. But they did fix some stuff which is bettr than nothing and more importantly, it means the game is coming out here so you don't have to import (unless you want to pay even more for a physical version) and can get it cheaper.

If this does well, it might even ensure that they will get the sequel and translate it from scratch which I think we'd all like.

But yeah, the game is great and well worth the purchase. I hope people enjoy it and I'll be staying in this thread to help where I can :)

Parakeetman

On the translation issues, I'll just say, this has been obvious to me from the get go. The short release time from the JP/Asian til now and all. But they did fix some stuff which is bettr than nothing and more importantly, it means the game is coming out here so you don't have to import (unless you want to pay even more for a physical version) and can get it cheaper.

If this does well, it might even ensure that they will get the sequel and translate it from scratch which I think we'd all like.

But yeah, the game is great and well worth the purchase. I hope people enjoy it and I'll be staying in this thread to help where I can :)

Wonder how active the BanNam US twitter is if they even have one that is. Since would like to find out what the word is / if there is another planned patch for the text. As we all know folks here are highly interested in that.

Stuart444

edit: New players, please read this.

I hope that helps newbies get started with the game. :)

But maybe this will answer your question, each Heroine specializes in a different weapon and each one has their own set of skills and stats. All skills fall under 3 categories, ATK, BUFF and DEF that you can switch by talking to them on the field. By issuing commands and saying "nice!" after they perform a skill under that category, you will be telling her that she did exactly what you wanted, therefore nurturing her AI making that skill more likely to occur in a given situation or when you issue that particular command.

I'm going to add this to my post a few pages back on tips/guide for newbie (linked it above, I feel like this is very useful information.

Wonder how active the BanNam US twitter is if they even have one that is. Since would like to find out what the word is / if there is another planned patch for the text. As we all know folks here are highly interested in that.

You'll probably have better luck asking the Bandai Namco UK twitter account. Bandai Namco US does have a twitter account but I don't see them post as much as the UK one.

Parakeetman

I'm going to add this to my post a few pages back on tips/guide for newbie, I feel like this is very useful information.

You'll probably have better luck asking the Bandai Namco UK twitter account. Bandai Namco US does have a twitter account but I don't see them post as much as the UK one.

Try give me the full quote of that again and will see if it fits in the OT lol.

Im still sad I didnt reserve a 2nd space under the first like with what I do these days even though am not really supposed to.

Stuart444

Try give me the full quote of that again and will see if it fits in the OT lol.

Im still sad I didnt reserve a 2nd space under the first like with what I do these days even though am not really supposed to.

You'll probably just have to link it rather than quote the whole thing but I edited the link into the post above. :)

Kensuke

Just played the first hour (review-copy). It's very overwhelming. All this seemingly random skills... I spent at least 20 minutes in the menu's trying to figure stuff out. Combat hasn't progressed from simple button-smashing, but I'm sure it will get better.

All those girls fawning over Kirito is a real low point though. I hate harem fantasies. Oh well.

Parakeetman

Just played the first hour (review-copy). It's very overwhelming. All this seemingly random skills... I spent at least 20 minutes in the menu's trying to figure stuff out. Combat hasn't progressed from simple button-smashing, but I'm sure it will get better.

All those girls fawning over Kirito is a real low point though. I hate harem fantasies. Oh well.

It will take a while to get your bearings thats for sure as you stated it can be overwhelming. But as with anything just stick with it and you should get used to things as you play more. Just get settled down with what you have initially then from there start to figure out whats available and where you want to go skillwise.

Parakeetman

Ahhh just one more day for EU GAF, I'm going to grab some 40€ PSN credit later today already! :)

iXoFblTUvekqL.png

soon_honey_beer_bottle.jpg

Ohnonono

I hope this is good stuff. I have played a ton of MMO's (though I understand this is more of an MMO simulation) so hopefully that helps with combat (cycling buffs, yelling at party members to HEAL MORE.) I don't mind the lady harem stuff at all, most of it seems pretty funny and honestly comes off as zany with the translations anyway. I also understand how pulling works and such from raiding in WoW and things like that. Hope its meets the hype.

Parakeetman

I hope this is good stuff. I have played a ton of MMO's (though I understand this is more of an MMO simulation) so hopefully that helps with combat (cycling buffs, yelling at party members to HEAL MORE.) I don't mind the lady harem stuff at all, most of it seems pretty funny and honestly comes off as zany with the translations anyway. I also understand how pulling works and such from raiding in WoW and things like that. Hope its meets the hype.

Yeah pulling is pretty easy as its just activated with the triangle button a second time you push it after pushing it once to target said monster to look at its current level.

Since you mention you are a MMO veteran you should have no issues with this game once you get the basic mechanics down.

And here I thought, I was the only poor EU soul in this thread.

@Waifu wars: Asuna > Leafa > the rest

Actually there is a bunch of you guys I think and one of the reasons why the EU Community manager isshak_gravi always stops by when he is available to do so. :)

Played some more and I thought Asuna getting the LA bonus would net me the item.... NOPE. Fuck me. =(

D:

Stuart444

And here I thought, I was the only poor EU soul in this thread.

@Waifu wars: Asuna > Leafa > the rest

There has been several EU folks here like me :p.

Also Sinon/Philia>The Rest

Played some more and I thought Asuna getting the LA bonus would net me the item.... NOPE. Fuck me. =(

Yup, LA bonus goes to whoever gets the LA.

Which is why I stress in my earlier post that if you're going for all trophies, it must be you that gets the LA. You also can't sell any LA bonuses to get the trophy... which I realized I didn't mention... *goes to edit post*

Man I really want to get this but I'm grabbing garden warfare and xillia 2 today. This is what pisses me off about game releases, there's nothing for weeks on end and then a bunch of stuff on the same day.

I'm probably gonna end up with this today anyway...

Stuart444

Man I really want to get this but I'm grabbing garden warfare and xillia 2 today. This is what pisses me off about game releases, there's nothing for weeks on end and then a bunch of stuff on the same day.

I'm probably gonna end up with this today anyway...

Not as bad as October - December for AAA releases at least.

ys45

Checked the PSN store this morning before going to work if it was available (6am ET) guess it was too early :p

The only thing I find disappointing so far is the English translation quality that people report, English might not be my first language but I can still recognize a good translation job from a bad one and I know it will bother me.
But if the game play is great I can overlook this besides I need to support those release so we get the sequel.

Stuart444

Checked the PSN store this morning before going to work if it was available (6am ET) guess it was too early :p

The only thing I find disappointing so far is the English translation quality that people report, English might not be my first language but I can still recognize a good translation job from a bad one and I know it will bother me.
But if the game play is great I can overlook this besides I need to support those release so we get the sequel.

I certainly understand why it's disappointing but hey. the gameplay is good and some translations may still be funny even if there isn't as much penetration (Asuna: awwww yeah) >_> as the Asian translation.

Yeah its for this reason (and becasue I have too much shit to play) that I'm likely going to wait until the September 30th update patch. Hopefully by then they can the translations fixed D:

Listonosh

Well, I call bullshit because I have the review copy.

That's what I was basing it off of as well.

A lot of copy edit mistakes and quite a few grammar and wording stuff.

This dude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125979587&postcount=2231

To be fair, I said it seems like it's the Asian version. I was simply basing it off of watching YouTube clips of the Asian version and comparing it to the one we have. I didn't do it extensively, but I did see similar mistakes.

Ibuki

Banned
My PSN cards have been staring back at me for days. Hopefully it's up when I get off! It's gonna be hard to juggle this and Akiba's Trip.

Silvawuff

I logged on this morning excited to buy/DL this, but then I saw GMT. Mrgrgr!

I'm going to keep my Kirito unchanged. I want to experience this as an extension of the anime canon (which it, more or less, is).

Stuart444

I logged on this morning excited to buy/DL this, but then I saw GMT. Mrgrgr!

I'm going to keep my Kirito unchanged. I want to experience this as an extension of the anime canon (which it, more or less, is).

And that's okay as well, since yeah it more or less is. An Alternate 'what if' story. Think the DBZ Budokai/BT/etc games which have 'what if' stories. Something fun for fans that just happens to be a rather good alternative story.

Still it is nice to have options like character customization for people who want that. More options are always good things.

Woah just got up and damn this thread moves at the speed of sound now! Just saw that you edited the first post and put the tips and tricks from Stuart for new users there as well, that post of his pretty much boils the entire game down in a nice simple list. A

lso thanks for including my AI post in there, I can't stress enough how important that system is, and without having nobody telling me, it took me a while to figure it out. Really the game is so fresh and such a thing of it's own that every help that someone can get from the beginning will only bring folks even more enjoyment from the start :)

Just a few hours left!

ramyeon

Looks like BlueMaxima's video is still being processed on YouTube, hopefully it's up soon. Wanna see what the localisation is like!

Stuart444

Woah just got up and damn this thread moves at the speed of sound now! Just saw that you edited the first post and put the tips and tricks from Stuart for new users there as well, that post of his pretty much boils the entire game down in a nice simple list. A

lso thanks for including my AI post in there, I can't stress enough how important that system is, and without having nobody telling me, it took me a while to figure it out. Really the game is so fresh and such a thing of it's own that every help that someone can get from the beginning will only bring folks even more enjoyment from the start :)

Just a few hours left!

I had thought about editing the info in before since you had mentioned it earlier in the thread, it's just a coincidence that you made the new post probably while I was thinking about it last night lol.

Which reminds me, if there is any other tips you or other vets think new players should know, let me know and I'll edit the post. The game won't be out for another few hours in NA PSN so there is time still lol.

I was frantically searching the PSN store and finding nothing a few moments ago.. I guess I'm still a little early.

Is there a confirmation yet that Aussies will be getting it as well? Normally i'd assume because of Euro release, but still..

ramyeon

I was frantically searching the PSN store and finding nothing a few moments ago.. I guess I'm still a little early.

Is there a confirmation yet that Aussies will be getting it as well? Normally i'd assume because of Euro release, but still..
Not specifically but I can't imagine why we wouldn't be. Won't be up until tomorrow night around this time (Australian time) tomorrow though.

I had thought about editing the info in before since you had mentioned it earlier in the thread, it's just a coincidence that you made the new post probably while I was thinking about it last night lol.

Which reminds me, if there is any other tips you or other vets think new players should know, let me know and I'll edit the post. The game won't be out for another few hours in NA PSN so there is time still lol.

To be honest with you I can't think of anything else right now I think the basics you covered perfectly. Also as much of a helping as hand as we can give, like I have mentioned before, this is a game of experimentation. See we could help them with Skill combos and such but don't you agree that those should be something that player him/herself develops over time by exploring the system?

Stuart444

To be honest with you I can't think of anything else right now I think the basics you covered perfectly. Also as much of a helping as hand as we can give, like I have mentioned before, this is a game of experimentation. See we could help them with Skill combos and such but don't you agree that those should be something that player him/herself develops over time by exploring the system?

Indeed, I'm just making sure there is nothing else that a new player could miss. I mean I didn't even realize the AI stuff til you posted about it and by then I had completed the game.

Btw if anyone knows, when does the review embargo end?

Indeed, I'm just making sure there is nothing else that a new player could miss. I mean I didn't even realize the AI stuff til you posted about it and by then I had completed the game.

Btw if anyone knows, when does the review embargo end?

I guess you could put, along with the AI post, that focusing on one of the 3 branches and getting the little pentagon shape under her "character info" past the grey line unlocks a specific costume for her. I would say focusing on AI is good not only to have a reliable partner in battle but also to get her costumes. After you get all 3 you unlock the ultimate one automatically.

Stuart444

Thanks, so 2 hours til reviews start popping in.

I guess you could put, along with the AI post, that focusing on one of the 3 branches and getting the little pentagon shape under her "character info" past the grey line unlocks a specific costume for her. I would say focusing on AI is good not only to have a reliable partner in battle but also to get her costumes. After you get all 3 you unlock the ultimate one automatically.

Editing this into the post. I didn't know about that either (I only learned about unlocking costumes like this in general the other day as well haha)

I spent a good amount of time exploring these little things aha, I'm glad it was able to help you too. Personally I was fascinated with the game's AI system, and how you are encouraged to make it better. That and making enemies go aggro, switching Hate with the partner, or raising the enemy's risk making him more open to staggers and debuff effects and DMG, etc... In my mind they built something brilliant that works really well.

Top Bottom