• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ramyeon

I like the combat so far, too tired to play more tonight but I'll give it a good go tomorrow. So selecting sword skills directly from your palette is not worth if? I notice that if I get enough circle attacks in then I can do one of my sword skills (Deep Impact?) but how do I do my other skills then if not by pressing L and selecting them directly?

Looks like this has a steep learning curve.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
l5jxmSJ.png

Go here

http://www.critdmg.com/saohf-list

Parakeetman

I like the combat so far, too tired to play more tonight but I'll give it a good go tomorrow. So selecting sword skills directly from your palette is not worth if? I notice that if I get enough circle attacks in then I can do one of my sword skills (Deep Impact?) but how do I do my other skills then if not by pressing L and selecting them directly?

ramyeon try watch this vid. its faster than trying to explain things since you will see how I use my sword skills along with battle skills. its the vid of me with a katana fighting ants that I have been using as a constant example for a while now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

Skill Palettes is where you want to keep everything that you use the most. But that is up to you how to set it up. The larger skill window is for all your battle skills that you have arranged in an order you can remember with most used buffs / sorted by category manually.

So my download just finished and... dat intro, dat first battle... holy, my expectations weren't even disappointed despite me be being hyped as hell o.o

pixxxelz

Work on your parries, dodge and take the sword skill off from your burst gauge as you will be wasting SP.

Watch your RISK number too higher it goes more damage you will be taking.

Also stun is your friend so be doing that onslaught when it seems to make the most sense such as right before the enemy does his special skill to cancel it.

Asides from that its about leveling / skilling up and then purchasing battle skills which supplement you in fights with buffs, debuffs, healing etc. Sword skills also for when you know which weapon types you plan on sticking with.

Nothing too serious.

Thanks, although I suck at parrying one of the reason I don't play souls games lol,
one last question is there a way to escape from a battle other than going to a different area?

DMiz

Watched the BlueMaxima preview that someone posted earlier...

I think my first major complaint is that the script reads awfully awkwardly at several points, which is a bit jarring for me. I don't mind that the voices in Japanese - even in English-speaking games, I tend to just read subtitles and fast-forward text - but the jilted dialogue and the strange phrasing is a bit of a deal-breaker.

That said, the combat looks great and the mechanics seem solid. Not sure if I want to pick it up for the combat alone, though, if the exploration is as limited as the first couple of minutes suggest. Can anybody follow-up if the map exploration get a bit more engaging later on? Or do the individual fields stay rather small throughout?

darkwing

if you look in your Sword Skill palette, there is a skill with a small BURST writing on it, just unselect it so it doesn't go off when you are pressing O automatically, better to go through L/R instead

Parakeetman

Thanks, although I suck at parrying one of the reason I don't play souls games lol,
one last question is there a way to escape from a battle other than going to a different area?

should be face directly towards your target press right or left on the D pad which switches targets then you press X which should disengage you from the fight, though said enemy may either follow you to the zone or for a good amount away from their initial spawn point. Am unsure which enemies are actually tethered and which are not. I know larger ones are tethered to certain locations though as they would not be able to fit outside certain places otherwise.

forms

So, is the combat similar to the Phantasy Star games, or what is it like. Haven't been able to get a good grasp of what it could feel like.

Parakeetman

So, is the combat similar to the Phantasy Star games, or what is it like. Haven't been able to get a good grasp of what it could feel like.

Not exactly, but it is heavily based on attack skills for the majority of your damage just like PSO/U.

Though at the same time too it uses a lot of elements from MMOs with the hate system and such, buffs, debuffs, etc.

vid showing combat and you can see me going through skills constantly.

the standard attacks done with the circle button are more "bonus" damage rather than your main source. as mentioned you see me constantly doing the attack skills (sword skills) due to thats where all the big damage comes from.

Parakeetman

Watched the BlueMaxima preview that someone posted earlier...

I think my first major complaint is that the script reads awfully awkwardly at several points, which is a bit jarring for me. I don't mind that the voices in Japanese - even in English-speaking games, I tend to just read subtitles and fast-forward text - but the jilted dialogue and the strange phrasing is a bit of a deal-breaker.

That said, the combat looks great and the mechanics seem solid. Not sure if I want to pick it up for the combat alone, though, if the exploration is as limited as the first couple of minutes suggest. Can anybody follow-up if the map exploration get a bit more engaging later on? Or do the individual fields stay rather small throughout?

Maps are either made up of multiple smaller sections like the first hollow area for example or larger massive ones such as the 2nd hollow area. its varied really.

Kensuke

Just cleared the 77th floor. Clearing 2 floors took me 6 hours. Sadly, my impressions of the game have been very negative thus far.

• Repetitive and unchallenging gameplay. I pretty much never need to heal. All you have to do is link up combo's with your partner to beat everything effortlessly. Even bosses are a joke. This is coming from someone that enjoyed similar gameplay systems in FFXII and Xenoblade.
  • All chests contain worthless loot.
  • Incredibly uncreative and boring optional quests. Kill x amout of monsters. Fetch x amout of items. This stuff wasn't fun in MMO's years ago and still isn't.
  • Mind-numbing dialogue exacerbated by the worst translation I have seen in years.
  • Fanservice does not equal a story. Pretty much all scenes are about one of the females frothing at the mouth for Kirito. I don't know how much more stuttering and blushing I can take. It's even worse knowing Kirito is married and some of these girls are 14 (the loli and the sister).
Maybe it gets better later, but I already feel like the game has wasted 6 hours of my time. I'll try the Hollow Area next, because some guys here are saying that's a much steeper challenge.

ys45

There should be something that allows you to set whats on your burst gage. I dont have the game with me so cant access it and tell you exactly what to do.

Try poking around your settings but there is one where you can change what skills go where and such. One of them being what you put on the burst gauge.

Since when its on your burst gauge with how it is by default the last action will be a sword skill, which is a waste of SP as it will always activate as long as you press O enough and have SP. Rather than you activating it when you want to.

in the Sword skill palette, you can set a skill to be on Burst, just unselect/unburst it

Thanks guys Il try this

forms

Not exactly, but it is heavily based on attack skills for the majority of your damage just like PSO/U.

Though at the same time too it uses a lot of elements from MMOs with the hate system and such, buffs, debuffs, etc.

vid showing combat and you can see me going through skills constantly.

the standard attacks done with the circle button are more "bonus" damage rather than your main source. as mentioned you see me constantly doing the attack skills (sword skills) due to thats where all the big damage comes from.

Combat looks fun, although the insects looks as if ripped from a PC game around 2000 or so. :D

Is it possible to disable the sound when pushing a button?

Parakeetman

Just cleared the 77th floor. Clearing 2 floors took me 6 hours. Sadly, my impressions of the game have been very negative thus far.

• Repetitive and unchallenging gameplay. I pretty much never need to heal. All you have to do is link up combo's with your partner to beat everything effortlessly. Even bosses are a joke. This is coming from someone that enjoyed similar gameplay systems in FFXII and Xenoblade.
  • Incredibly uncreative and boring optional quests. Kill x amout of monsters. Fetch x amout of items. This stuff wasn't fun in MMO's years ago and still isn't.
  • Mind-numbing dialogue exacerbated by the worst translation I have seen in years.
  • Fanservice does not equal a story. Pretty much all scenes are about one of the females frothing at the mouth for Kirito. I don't know how much more stuttering and blushing I can take. It's even worse knowing Kirito is married and some of these girls are 14 (the loli and the sister).
Maybe it gets better later, but I already feel like the game has wasted 6 hours of my time. I'll try the Hollow Area next, because some guys here are saying that's a much steeper challenge.

not too much useful stuff from the aincrad side of the story in terms of items from chests. esp when you compare it to what comes from the hollow area.

as I stated before the early parts of aincrad totally let you bowl over everything for the most part.

Combat looks fun, although the insects looks as if ripped from a PC game around 2000 or so. :D

Is it possible to disable the sound when pushing a button?

dont think so. you would be so focused on fighting anyways its not like you would notice it.

Thanks guys Il try this

once you start getting more sword skills as you branch out into different weapons or stick with a particular one you will see what we mean by its far better to keep everything separate for the sword skills. Will take you a little time but will become second nature the more you play.

Stuart444

I keep one skill always selected as a burst skill. I've gotten used to NOT pressing O/attack when I don't want to use it and pressing it when I do. Not too hard, it's just another timing issue really lol.

pixxxelz

should be face directly towards your target press right or left on the D pad which switches targets then you press X which should disengage you from the fight, though said enemy may either follow you to the zone or for a good amount away from their initial spawn point. Am unsure which enemies are actually tethered and which are not. I know larger ones are tethered to certain locations though as they would not be able to fit outside certain places otherwise.

Nice, thank you

MSMrRound

I'll try the Hollow Area next

Hollow Area will definitely prove more of a challenge. You have to get into the main body of the game. Aincard is barely scrapped off the top of the game as as it is easy peasy stuff.

Try getting aggro'd by 3 level 120 monsters with poison/bleed or challenging a monster higher than you by 30 levels and it's a whole different ballgame. That's when your adrenaline will kick in.

Taking from Parakeetman's post:

This is Aincard area:

This is the encounter with Hollow Fragment's high level areas:

*Bleed+Poison* Ughh...must reach...for potion...*shatters*

Stuart444

In order

1. Things get tougher later, you're very early on. Things don't get really tough in the floor clearing arc until 90+, Hollow Area stuff gets tough from the get go as there is plenty of mixed in weaker enemies with tough enemies.

2. Not true though you won't find many good weapon/armour based loot in the floor clearing stuff. iirc there is plenty of ores in chest that you can use to upgrade weapons at Liz' shop.

3. It's a game based on an anime that's set in an MMO, this should be expected

4. Dialogue is subjective but I'll give you the translation.

5. Every scene? No, lots of scenes? Yes though many of them are character events rather than story events. (lots of character events near the start are triggered automatically by entering certain areas)

ramyeon

ramyeon try watch this vid. its faster than trying to explain things since you will see how I use my sword skills along with battle skills. its the vid of me with a katana fighting ants that I have been using as a constant example for a while now.

Skill Palettes is where you want to keep everything that you use the most. But that is up to you how to set it up. The larger skill window is for all your battle skills that you have arranged in an order you can remember with most used buffs / sorted by category manually.
Cheers, I'll definitely check that out. I lied and couldn't stop playing (lol) so I'm getting the hang of it more. Ended up taking off my burst skill since I prefer to select it manually when I want to use it, seems to be working better for me. Getting my parry timing down better too, I can already see why you guys said this is addictive. Now to choose where to spend skill points haha.

Parakeetman

Cheers, I'll definitely check that out. I lied and couldn't stop playing (lol) so I'm getting the hang of it more. Ended up taking off my burst skill since I prefer to select it manually when I want to use it, seems to be working better for me. Getting my parry timing down better too, I can already see why you guys said this is addictive. Now to choose where to spend skill points haha.

thats going to seriously be the hard part, esp later on since the shit gets so expensive D: lol

Stuart444

Thanks for your earlier reply. How long does it roughly take to get past the Aincrad stuff?

Depends on how quick you are, 40h min if going at an average pace I'd guess but I really don't know. In the JP version, Hollow Area, half (not all) character events, Floor clearing and some grinding (not too much but some) took me 70 - 75h roughly.

Just make sure to finish the Hollow Area story before floor 100 (recommended to do it by/at floor 90).

Parakeetman

Thanks for your earlier reply. How long does it roughly take to get past the Aincrad stuff?

you actually can blow past it pretty fast if you wanted to, but thats taking into account you understand the battle system. Dont know how much time exactly, but Aincrad is not nearly as hard as Hollow Area. Though you will most def want to clear the Hollow Area before Aincrad.

Parakeetman

Do random easy mobs have tells for their attacks (in order to parry/block better) or is that mostly for harder/boss monsters?

If an enemy has a special attack you should see an effect before they perform it. Like a flash or something. Let me see if a vid of mine has an example. Will update this post so keep an eye on it.

if you dont want a "boss" type of enemy spoiled dont watch but this clip shows the enemy before they do their skill. it will also appear at the top of the screen their attack name. also you will hear a twing noise when they ready the skill + graphical effect. this is one of the moves you cant parry btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJkyz3HCEM&list=UUosxT5X0VL60PqgEd68gGHQ#t=117 (if time link doesnt work skip to 1:57ish)

So is the huge story dump after the first hollow area a recap of things that actually play out more gradually in the PSP game? So far the script isn't as bad as I feared, but some have said they cleaned up the early parts of the game, so we'll see.

When exactly should one use the parry skill?

ramyeon

Oh man I got cocky and took on that level 115 Orc. I was doing okay besides missing most attacks but then he hit me with something that killed me in one hit :( wish there was manual saving, now I gotta start from way back at the beginning of that area again :/

Sitrus

Aincrad part can be cleared pretty quick if you just rush through. I think I did my loops in about 10h. First time obviously takes somewhat longer.

Parakeetman

Thanks for the video. Did you have the accuracy skills going when you did that video? You didn't seem to be missing much (if any!).

yeah am running the accuracy skills its a huge must when fighting things higher than yourself esp when using low accuracy weapons such as the 2HAxe.

Parakeetman

So is the huge story dump after the first hollow area a recap of things that actually play out more gradually in the PSP game? So far the script isn't as bad as I feared, but some have said they cleaned up the early parts of the game, so we'll see.

When exactly should one using the parry skill?

When you see a particular attack coming at you. Dont try to time it literally right before it hits you as there is a small grace window it gives you. You can sort of think of it as an invisible bubble forms around your character and if said enemy attack connects with it, they will be parried if its a move that is able to be so. When in doubt dodge or try to back off so that you are out of the attacks range.

Oh man I got cocky and took on that level 115 Orc. I was doing okay besides missing most attacks but then he hit me with something that killed me in one hit :( wish there was manual saving, now I gotta start from way back at the beginning of that area again :/

yeah any time you think you are doing good or found good loot run out of the zone at least once so you dont lose too much progress. lol its happened to me a few times which got me doing it by habit eventually.

Mrcapcom

So my download just finished and... dat intro, dat first battle... holy, my expectations weren't even disappointed despite me be being hyped as hell o.o

I know right! I'm at the part where shes like go down there thats where you want to go and I'm all like forget that and walked backwards its tons of guys to fight im just fighting them lol Still trying to get use to the combat as far as what I should be doing other than hammering O all the time

Parakeetman

do other characters still gain level even if you are not partnering with them?

unfortunately not. if you want to level a bunch at once do the offline MP. though you wont be able to praise them for SP back so just keep that in mind and they dont exactly listen to the AI commands either.

Parakeetman

I know right! I'm at the part where shes like go down there thats where you want to go and I'm all like forget that and walked backwards its tons of guys to fight im just fighting them lol Still trying to get use to the combat as far as what I should be doing other than hammering O all the time

things will change once you start unlocking more sword skills with earned skill points. just put a little bit of thought into what you take as you will not be able to max out everything.

darkwing

i know right~ XD

unfortunately not. if you want to level a bunch at once do the offline MP. though you wont be able to praise them for SP back so just keep that in mind and they dont exactly listen to the AI commands either.

No. If you want to mass level, just go multiplayer with 3 of the heroines.

oh that's bad

good idea on the MP to level

Stuart444

What the guys above say but the NPCs (aka not the main cast) do level up. You can partner with them as well in MP mode or after you do a friend request they send you (via mail) then you can partner with them in the floor clearing arc.

Also while I've not found one of the guys who you can meet in the Hollow Area, the other person, you can find after you reach Hollow Area 5. Go back to Hollow Area 4, go to the exit on the right (I think, not good directions because I'm a bit hazy) and in a dead end room, you'll find someone.

Oh and you must go ALONE when you do this. I don't think there is any doors going the way I pointed above so you should be able to run from most enemies.

(bit of a late game tip but still a good one if you want to see as much as possible on your first playthrough)

Ahaha I did exactly the same since it took me a minute to figure out which slope Philia meant :p I also still mask O like crazy but I think I slowly get the hang of things.

To the person mentioning that the game is too easy, well from my limited play time don't forget you basically start in the middle of a established MMO universe, Kirito is level 100 from the start and they have to introduce us to the battle-system somehow.

The only other thing I could have see them do is making Kirito lose his skills and stats somehow only for the player to regain them as a tutorial though I have to say I think I wouldn't have liked this approach :/

HIR0

Man this game is hard, or rather I suck at it I'm getting my ass handed by this bastards in the hollow area, any tips?

You will die alot early on. Well I did anyway.
Pick your fights carefully and do not draw a crowd.
Learn to escape (I'm unsure of which buttons they are, maybe D-pad down and X? If not look it up).

If I remember, R + D-pad Right is the input required to order your partner to heal herself.

Learn how to make use of the switch function. It determines who is the target which is helpful in a situation such as when you have low HP and need to heal, cast buffs or want to unleash SP kills without having an enemy hitting which leads to the action being cancelled sometimes.

Know your skill palette well.
You will be constantly customizing this as you unlock more skills.

MSMrRound

Escape is Switch Target (DPAD Left or Right)+X.

With that you can break off from the battle and run away (though most enemies do chase you..so be careful of paralysis status).

Purify Fire from Mace skill tree line is pretty good since it removes debuffs inflicted on you and your team mate.

Idk what the deal is with the translation. It's not perfect English but its understandable. I don't mind it but that might be because English is my second language.

Still gotta get the hang of fighting.

matmanx1

Idk what the deal is with the translation. It's not perfect English but its understandable. I don't mind it but that might be because English is my second language.

Still gotta get the hang of fighting.

Yeah I think we're all trying to get the hang of fighting. The battle system has a nice bit of complexity.

The translation is humorous but also a little bit disappointing for a native english speaker. That being said I am overjoyed to actually have the game in english at all, even with the rough bits.

Top Bottom