• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Mendax

Golden Good?

You mean the orange good sign or the orange musical notes? Notes are affection points which adds towards the total friendship level.

Only golden words above their head I see is when characters level up...

or unless you are referring to the friendship conversations in town?

must have been orange "good" then yeah

Oh god you people weren't kidding, I just reached the point where the anime opening played and in context it was a amazing moment that fully brought me into the setting! :D

MSMrRound

must have been orange "good" then yeah

The "Good!" bubble will appear when you press Up on your Dpad. If your partner had done something significant, they will acknowledge that your so-called praise, raising affection and also imprinting in their AI: Main character just praised me on this move, I might use it more frequently next time.

So basically, through praising etc, it might be possible for you to adjust their skills etc so that they will only do the required actions that you IMPRINTED them to do.

You can adjust such settings via talking to the partners and setting up the way they fight:

mainly: ATTACKING/DEFENSIVE/SUPPORTIVE

Whenever they do an action, you might see a "Att Skill" icon thing appearing around bottom left corner of your screen. If you are going for the Attack build to unlock their Attack armour, only praise moves that are of the "Att Skill" variety, such as certain sword skills/joining you with a joint attack etc.

Reason being, if you praise them for every little thing just for that +50SP gain, your partner will more likely use a variety of skills, which makes it harder to condition them into unlocking specific Att/Def/Buff (Supportive) costumes that you can make them wear.

For example for joint attacks, there are two types. One, look out for "Kirito, use sword skill!" If you use a sword skill of any kind, most likely they might follow up with a Att Skill-based sword skill. There's also the "Kirito, let's use Sword Skills together!" message. When your partner is at rest (e.g not using any other active sword skill/supporting skill/have more than 100SP), using a sword skill will trigger the dual cut-ins of both you and your partner, and that joint attack is considered of the "Att Skill" type as well.

Lots of experimenting that you guys can do.

Now mentally replace SAOI Arc 2 with this material as canon.

Yes sir/ma'm, I will proceed with that! :p

And I just noticed something funny about the script! Most of the time where it should say "you" it actually says the name of the person to go with the voices which reads a bit funny but so far it's the only thing I noticed and not really bothersome.

TUSR

Banned
Yes sir/ma'm, I will proceed with that! :p

And I just noticed something funny about the script! Most of the time where it should say "you" it actually says the name of the person to go with the voices which reads a bit funny but so far it's the only thing I noticed and not really bothersome.

Language structure differences to line up the JP VA to the EN subs.

Language structure differences to line up the JP VA to the EN subs.

Yeah I figured as I know Japanese can be a bit complex with addressing people and all. Also on that topic I'm genuinely surprised when I realized how much simple Japanese I understand while not really focusing on the text. Guess that all the anime watching had some effect afterall :eek:

Ryuukan

me talking:

rhkpui.jpg

nikos

I'm up to the part near the beginning, after the blacksmith (forget her name) sets up her shop and you're thrown into the world. I used the teleporter to enter the hollow area, but I get the feeling this was the wrong move. Was I supposed to just walk out of town?

I'd experiment, but I'm bored at work and it's bothering me. Had to put the Vita in sleep mode mid-battle. :eek:

Say will it be explained why Leefa
instantly recognized Kirito as her brother here while in ALO she was all like "Huuh... wait... WHAT?!"
o.o

Stuart444

instantly recognized Kirito as her brother here while in ALO she was all like "Huuh... wait... WHAT?!"
o.o

Nope, my guess is, she just figured that the avatar in ALO looked similar but wasn't her brother? I mean I'd guess she wouldn't think Kirito would go to a VRMMO so soon after getting out of SAO.

While knowing she was transported to SAO somehow, she knew that Kirito would be in there. (I got the feeling she had been in there for long enough to know it was SAO) So recognizing what he looks like in the real world helped her identify her in SAO.

Ahzrei

Banned
o.o

I like to think a part of her knew it was Kirito in ALO the whole time, and she was just in denial. Believing what she wanted to believe.

This game is better than I hoped it would be. Very pleased so far.

Listonosh

i think it was said lots of pages back that the "infinity moment" game is part of the vita game anyway, and marketing it as 2 games is therefore (kinda) false.

Doing first hollow mission now (good times) and i'm wondering:

- does the timing of "nice" have to be very very exact or what? I nailed it twice by complimenting Phillia on a kill/epic skill finish or something like that but I can't do it again it seems

- are there any hidden items on the ground (invisible normally but obtained by interacting with things) or are they all in chests / shining markers like in other rpgs?

The NICE system is actually deeper than I realized. When your partner fires off various skills, right below their name it says ATK, DEF and BUF, and praising them on doing those specific skills will then also raise those respective stats on their Character Info screens. I believe raising those specific attributes will unlock those costumes.

Nope, my guess is, she just figured that the avatar in ALO looked similar but wasn't her brother? I mean I'd guess she wouldn't think Kirito would go to a VRMMO so soon after getting out of SAO.

While knowing she was transported to SAO somehow, she knew that Kirito would be in there. (I got the feeling she had been in there for long enough to know it was SAO) So recognizing what he looks like in the real world helped her identify her in SAO.

Ahh okay I didn't see it from that perspective :eek: That actually makes very much sense since she must know Kirito is trapped in SAO during that time yeah.

I like to think a part of her knew it was Kirito in ALO the whole time, and she was just in denial. Believing what she wanted to believe.

This game is better than I hoped it would be. Very pleased so far.

Hmm given her feelings that might very well be possible too, especially having in mind how she reacted right before and after she found out it was him. It's really interesting how the game accurately manages to feel like the anime and extends it so far.

Also I really have to find my Vita wall-charger again as my battery just ran out and now I have to wait for ages till it's charged over USB :( And I assume the game auto-saves?

Conan-san

Just got this off the EUR PSN, arse deep into the first hollow mission and I think things are progressing as they should, couple of close calls (which is to say I lost half HP Bar because I forgot I could do that skill that causes Regen)

Things are OK So far, but I realy wish it was easy to disengage the triangle button lock on because my brain is like "Ok, that thing is like 25 over my level and I don't like my chances, so I won't bother it" then I press triangle, grab it's attention and all hell breaks loose.

Mendrox

Opening was a nice surprise. Game so far is not to hard cause I played many MMORPGs and the game is exactly like that. Also I read the Novels so I know a few skills and the system itself. Presentation is good enough, English translation could be worse and it is fun.

Also Waifus everywhere. Sinon. <3.

matmanx1

Well, she's in her ALO guise so she was playing ALO and the glitch effected more than just the SAO servers. That's what I'm going with until I hear differently.

Stuart444

Well, she's in her ALO guise so she was playing ALO and the glitch effected more than just the SAO servers. That's what I'm going with until I hear differently.

Yeah, I had also assumed that from the get go. Sinon one is a bit odd though since she's not in her GGO outfit unless she was playing something else like ALO?

Stuart444

How the heck am i supposed to know when to use O and when to use R trigger during these chats :///

I find if you know the girls personality a little (so fans of the anime may have a better chance), you usually know what to press. Not always but most of the time.

However if in doubt, R, always R. I kept to that in the Japanese version and I'm sticking with it here if I don't know the answer.

(edit: and this was meant to be an edit to the above post, sorry :( )

Sitrus

Is axe that op? Because dang, I am aoe farming like crazy with axe as my weapon.

At early stages of the game it is very op. Misses alot without acc buffs though, but the sheer power in not only single enemy, but AoE attacks makes it a great weapon. Its burst attacks can damage quite alot too with implements.

Ryuukan

Wait so do you need a minimum friendship rank for that?

No, you just need her mood level at 3 so you can perform a bridal carry and take her to your bedroom. I raise her mood to level 5 though just in case

make sure you are inside the inn before you carry her, if you take too long, her mood will go down and you wont sleep together

Stuart444

I do think there is some hyperbole over how bad the text is. Some saying it's basically unplayable at times.

Yeah the translated text isn't great and there are some lolworthy lines but unplayable? Lol.

Doombear

They could have done at least some cleanup

I still am a bit confused on whether or not they did. I have seen screenshots from the Asian copy with some pretty horrible translations, but I haven't seen side by side showing that those errors are still there. Everything I have seen has been so minor and certainly in no way affecting the gameplay (which is were the main enjoyment is coming from for me).

TUSR

Banned
US/EU version piggybacks off of the AS version. There is some text clean up, but not enough.

People claiming it makes the game unplayable are being hyperbolic.

Stuart444

They could have done at least some cleanup

They did. But my point wasn't about how the translation is still pretty bad, it's that there is a lot of hyperbole over how bad it is.

Is it bad? Yes. Is it understandable? Yes. Should Bandai Namco have done better with the translation? Again yes. Is it unplayable? Nope.

If the game was actually unplayable for english speakers then I'd understand but the unplayable hyperbole is stupid.

I still am a bit confused on whether or not they did. I have seen screenshots from the Asian copy with some pretty horrible translations, but I haven't seen side by side showing that those errors are still there. Everything I have seen has been so minor and certainly in no way affecting the gameplay (which is were the main enjoyment is coming from for me).

No side-by-sides but some people have seen changes to the translation and even posted it on here. Hell I have even seen some differences after watching the asian playthroughs on youtube.

It's not too different but there is differences.

edit:

US/EU version piggybacks off of the AS version. There is some text clean up, but not enough.

People claiming it makes the game unplayable are being hyperbolic.

More or less my point, there should have been more done but it is no where near unplayable.

Ryuukan

Obviously it's more fun to retweet screens of the asian version from people who hate SAO and want to go "lmao so bad xd" than play a game

Doombear

That is kind of what I assumed was happening with a lot of it. I know a lot of people saw the increased word of mouth for this yesterday, saw the screenshots from the Asian version, and just like that the game was 'awfully handled, unplayable, and a joke'.

Meanwhile I am many hours in and having a goddamn blast with no glaring translation issues to report.

Stuart444

Obviously it's more fun to retweet screens of the asian version from people who hate SAO and want to go "lmao so bad xd" than play a game

Indeed, but ah well.

I'm hoping to get some more of the English version done tomorrow. Half way through floor 76 but too tired to keep playing. Once Tales of Xillia 2 is here on Friday (if Amazon sends it out tomorrow which they should -_-), I'll be taking a break from SAO outside of maybe grinding in SPMP mode if I get bored.

I'll still lurk this thread if anyone has any questions that I can help with. :) Spent so much time in this OT already so why stop now lol.

ramyeon

People defending the shoddy localisation are just as bad as the hyperbole, I've seen an equal amount of both (Actually more of the former probably!). I'm liking the game so far but it deserved better than what it got.

Ryuukan

People defending the shoddy localisation are just as bad as the hyperbole, I've seen an equal amount of both (Actually more of the former probably!). I'm liking the game so far but it deserved better than what it got.

not gonna lie, if it's this or nothing, give it to me

Top Bottom