• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

So when exactly am I going to be allowed to explore Aincrad? Fighting enemies 25+ levels higher than me in the hollow area doesn't exactly seem like what I should be doing....

Stuart444

So when exactly am I going to be allowed to explore Aincrad? Fighting enemies 25+ levels higher than me in the hollow area doesn't exactly seem like what I should be doing....

After the tutorial, finish the Hollow Mission, go through story scenes, then back to Aincrad for more story stuff + recap.

After the tutorial, finish the Hollow Mission, go through story scenes, then back to Aincrad for more story stuff + recap.

Heh, I didn't realize there was an unexplored part of the map and thought I had to clear out this group of way too strong enemies to get to the quest location. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Listonosh

Yeah this was pretty unclear to me too. I thought the whole game at first was teleporting to the Hollow Area. Then I randomly walked outside of the main gate, which I didnt realize you could do, and then realized thats how you play the Aincrad portion.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Here's my review if you'd like to add it to OP.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2014/08/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-review/

Also, I think it's kind of lazy that Asuna's rallying cry before you take on a floor boss always has the same characters every time. At least Kirito's appearance changes..
One thing about that review:
It’s rare for a game based off of movies or television shows to stray far away from the source material.
Actually it's very common for the spinoff anime/manga games to go for an alternative story/ending, but since they're mostly really bad visual novels for portable systems, they're not often released in the west.
Main reason for that is aiming for the "anime/novel/game/manga' mediamix, which means that the characters/setting are made so that they can be freely put into different stories and still enjoyed by fans and not feel out of character.

Sorry for the OT. Good review btw.
Isn't the patch confirmed for the US though?

JPS Kai

One thing about that review:

Actually it's very common for the spinoff anime/manga games to go for an alternative story/ending, but since they're mostly really bad visual novels for portable systems, they're not often released in the west.
Main reason for that is aiming for the "anime/novel/game/manga' mediamix, which means that the characters/setting are made so that they can be freely put into different stories and still enjoyed by fans and not feel out of character.

Sorry for the OT. Good review btw.
Isn't the patch confirmed for the US though?

Yeah I was referring to games that get localized (probably should have put a line about that in there). Black Rock Shooter was kind of an exception, but I reviewed that one without ever seeing anything on BRS besides the Hatsune Miku song. Most of the games I've played seem to follow the major story beats and maybe put in an alternate ending or such later on.

I always appreciate the criticism~

Ohnonono

So at some point I am going to lose all my skills that I have at the beginning of the game? I have been in the game for 2.5 hours and have not had that happen yet. Prolly cause most of it was running around town with a certain purple lady. Had not read that till that review.

Stuart444

So at some point I am going to lose all my skills that I have at the beginning of the game? I have been in the game for 2.5 hours and have not had that happen yet. Prolly cause most of it was running around town with a certain purple lady. Had not read that till that review.

No you won't, it's already happened in the story (they talked about how they have lost a lot of their skills).

You're fine for now.

JPS Kai

Yeah, it's just a story piece to give you a reason to level up. As soon as you start the game, Kirito's skills are wiped so you're playing with a clean slate so to speak.

Ohnonono

Yeah, it's just a story piece to give you a reason to level up. As soon as you start the game, Kirito's skills are wiped so you're playing with a clean slate so to speak.

Maybe I was not looking at the skills during the very beginning but I definitely started the game with a few skills and at least a couple levels of 2 hand swords. I am assuming I will be keeping those.

_woLf

So I downloaded this game last night, tried launching it today and it just hangs at the launch image. I waited like 10 minutes and it didn't budge.

Dunno if it's related but I tried turning off my vita after that and it took like 15 minutes just to finally turn off. I hadn't restarted in a long time so I thought maybe that'd be why.

I had to leave for work before I could turn it back on and try launching the game again, but I was curious if anyone else had that problem. :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Maybe I was not looking at the skills during the very beginning but I definitely started the game with a few skills and at least a couple levels of 2 hand swords. I am assuming I will be keeping those.
The loss is from a flashback, so you've already lost everything from the start.

Stuart444

Yes, those are your default skills that you get at the start, You can't lose them.

So it is called online, but is it a single player game?

Yep, just like the .hack// games on PS2 more or less.

And holy seeing Sinon with her exact voice in SAO is so weird, I just made it through the Hollow Area tutorial and everything is so captivating. Despite some shortcoming it really feels like I'm playing SAO here :D Also was I the only one who got a major .hack// vibe in
the Hollow Area control room? Even the music reminded me of it.

Mendax

BTW are my 2 initial swords supposed to be corrupted and have it shown by their names being all messed up? looks nasty..

Mendax

ok thanks guys, thought i had some glitch or something. Guess i should get back into the game then ^^

and i'm SO happy Sinon has her anime voice, it wouldn't feel right at all if she hadn't!

matmanx1

ok thanks guys, thought i had some glitch or something. Guess i should get back into the game then ^^

and i'm SO happy Sinon has her anime voice, it wouldn't feel right at all if she hadn't!

Yeah Sinon is awesome but is it ever actually explained why Sinon and Leafa appear in Aincrad all of a sudden?

Stuart444

Hehe, funny considering this came out before the SAOII anime. (well this and SAOIM)

JCX

I've been looking for a way to relive Phantasy Star Online. I watched a video, but I wanted to ask if the combat in SAO is similar to PSO.

Mendax

Were we suppose to get a psp remaster of the other sao game with this? If so how do we download?

i think it was said lots of pages back that the "infinity moment" game is part of the vita game anyway, and marketing it as 2 games is therefore (kinda) false.

Doing first hollow mission now (good times) and i'm wondering:

- does the timing of "nice" have to be very very exact or what? I nailed it twice by complimenting Phillia on a kill/epic skill finish or something like that but I can't do it again it seems

- are there any hidden items on the ground (invisible normally but obtained by interacting with things) or are they all in chests / shining markers like in other rpgs?

Ravage

Just started the game (about 10~hrs in) and I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the depth and combat options thus far.

antibolo

Banned
Were we suppose to get a psp remaster of the other sao game with this? If so how do we download?

No, the Vita game itself is the PSP remaster. The Europe PS blog entry confused everyone into thinking it would be a separate thing exclusive to the localization, and they never went back and fixed it.

Mrcapcom

Thanks for the answers VitaBros I forgot about the free costumes and as I downloaded it i was like hold up wasn't it suppose to be a free psp game and I was searching my account hehe
Still worth the 40 bucks IMO I'm like 20 minutes in and its worth it to me lol

MSMrRound

- does the timing of "nice" have to be very very exact or what? I nailed it twice by complimenting Phillia on a kill/epic skill finish or something like that but I can't do it again it seems

You can "Nice!" when partners use
-Support Skills
-Sword Skills (Right of DPAD)
-Stun (Stop Sword Skill!)
-Parry
-Heal
-Switch (press Down on DPAD to swap Hate vale)

and a few more.

Basically as long as they did some action, you can always "Nice!" them, but there's a cool down on the "Nice!" button (Up on DPad or bottom left of screen), so you can't spam it repeatedly.

What you can do to encourage them to do something, is to press L1 or R1, along with relevant partner command e.g "Use Sword Skill!"

Should they comply, you can go ahead and "Nice!" them for 50SP back and to raise affection/friendship points.

JPS Kai

i think it was said lots of pages back that the "infinity moment" game is part of the vita game anyway, and marketing it as 2 games is therefore (kinda) false.

Doing first hollow mission now (good times) and i'm wondering:

- are there any hidden items on the ground (invisible normally but obtained by interacting with things) or are they all in chests / shining markers like in other rpgs?

The game is fairly lenient with praising your partner, like about five seconds after they use their skill. There is a cooldown before you can use Good! again though

Some areas will have hidden items on the ground, similar to gathering points. These are small white flashes of light and typically are needed to gather items for quests on each floor. They have a limited number of times you can gather from them each day but I haven't had any completely vanish on me yet.

wrowa

So, do I understand it correctly that Bamco only used the shody as usual Asian translation for the Western release and called it a day? That's a huge bummer if so.

Stuart444

So, do I understand it correctly that Bamco only used the shody as usual Asian translation for the Western release and called it a day? That's a huge bummer if so.

Used it as a base, did some work on it and then called it a day.

So it's still not great but a little better than the default asian translation.

Mendax

You can "Nice!" when partners use
-Support Skills
-Sword Skills (Right of DPAD)
-Stun (Stop Sword Skill!)
-Parry
-Heal
-Switch (press Down on DPAD to swap Hate vale)

and a few more.

Basically as long as they did some action, you can always "Nice!" them, but there's a cool down on the "Nice!" button (Up on DPad or bottom left of screen), so you can't spam it repeatedly.

What you can do to encourage them to do something, is to press L1 or R1, along with relevant partner command e.g "Use Sword Skill!"

Should they comply, you can go ahead and "Nice!" them for 50SP back and to raise affection/friendship points.

alright i see, but there was also the golden "good" above their heads when you do it at a special moment right? or was that something else?

MSMrRound

Golden Good?

You mean the orange good sign or the orange musical notes? Notes are affection points which adds towards the total friendship level.

Only golden words above their head I see is when characters level up...

or unless you are referring to the friendship conversations in town?

Top Bottom