• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Phlebas

Banned
Just to be sure since I'm OCD about missable trophies but paranoid about spoilers when reading trophy guides:
To avoid having to replay the game I have to make sure no one dies during boss battles and I get the last attack bonus.
And romance every girl.
That's all to keep in mind and I can enjoy the game without worrying about anything else?

Complete the Hollow Fragment area first before Aincrad.

PewPewK

How do I give a character one of the DLC costumes? I bought one to test, but I can't figure out how to have any character equip it.

MSMrRound

How do I give a character one of the DLC costumes? I bought one to test, but I can't figure out how to have any character equip it.

You got to get their bond level to level 3 at least.

Bond level can be viewed via the friend list.

Once it's at level 3 then only can you start giving them weapon or armor as gift (and for them to equip it)

WARNING: Since the patch isn't implemented yet, most likely you can't take back the item that you gave them. Should you gift them another armor, the armor that you gifted them previously might disappear (take note of this as it might be a piece of floor boss loot, which is required for a trophy)

jrcbandit

I'm not sure which game has a worse tutorial Resident Evil 6 or this game? Both explain absolutely nothing about the true mechanics of the game... Well Sword Arts Online is alot more complicated than an action shooter so this probably takes the cake.

Phlebas

Banned
I'm not sure which game has a worse tutorial Resident Evil 6 or this game? Both explain absolutely nothing about the true mechanics of the game... Well Sword Arts Online is alot more complicated than an action shooter so this probably takes the cake.

Yeah the tutorial isn't very good at explaining what to do, I just fumbled around for a little while until i managed to figure it out.

I remember being pretty disappointed when I downloaded an episode of the Bombcast and fired up Persona 4 Golden only to have it pause the audio. Imagine my surprise to see it work here! Already a dam good first impression from that alone

So I just started playing. I renamed and redesigned my character but it seems like I am still Kirito in cut scenes so the character I created only shows during gameplay? If so, what is the point in naming your character if you are still Kirito?

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
For those new to the game, I'd like to share my experience with the Hollow Area, and why I feel it's the best part of the game, along with tips on how to do well at it. If anyone has things to add (Or correct me on!) let me know. :)

The Hollow Area has various areas for you to explore. By far the best (In my opinion) is the first one. There is much to explore, and there are a lot of weapons to collect. If you follow the path to complete the main missions you won’t encounter much resistance. The fun starts when you head off the beaten path.

Some of the first high level NMs you encounter will be around Level 130-140. While difficult at a low level, they’re certainly beatable. The key thing to do is activate the skill “PFT Style” this allows, for a short time, for none of your attacks to miss. See, if you go against a much higher level enemy normally, you’ll rarely ever hit them. This allows all your attacks to connect.

The next key thing is your skills. At this point in the game I had one Area of Effect skill (To do damage to multiple enemies) and one regular skill for higher damage. I then had two healing skills, one for gradual healing and one to heal a large chunk of health for both me and my partner. I then had some buffs, such as the aforementioned PFT Style, ones to increase Defense, along with SP regaining skills. Really, there’s a ton of options to choose from. Besides PFT Style it’s up to you to find what works. That’s the beauty of the game, how much it revolves around your playstyle. With ten weapon types, many attack skills, and many more other skills you can play any way you want.

The final thing of importance is your partner. While later in the game you might choose to go solo to execute the OSS system, which allows you to chain together skills to deal high damage in a short amount of time, early on you’ll want to utilize your partner as much as possible. She is great for restoring SP, doing combo attacks, and is in general a great AI. While the AI isn’t perfect, it’s the best out of the limited amount of games with partners I’ve played.

All in all, battling NMs many levels above your own is quite thrilling. You have to learn to block at the right time, and anticipate what they’ll do. Make sure your partner doesn’t die, meaning you’ll be managing both you and her. After you’ve beaten the NM you’ll get access to a chest holding a powerful weapon.

This was my favorite part of the game. Take on high level NMs and get fantastic weapons. I’d then upgrade them, and explore some more. While as I mentioned before the first Hollow Area is the best (And the 2nd the worst) overall it’s a blast to go exploring to find new and powerful enemies. The combat system is extremely enjoyable as there’s a ton of variety, and you truly feel powerful, especially when battling high level NMs. Having a competent partner is something I’m not used to in video games, and it made me very happy.

This is a very addictive game. The remade portion of the game, Aincrad, is fun mainly due to loot you’ll find, but in all honesty it’s quite easy to beat, except for the final boss. The Hollow Area is what makes the game so special. I implore you all to explore it all you can, take on powerful enemies, and enjoy what I believe is an amazing game.

Stuart444

An advance tip: Once you get to Hollow Area 5 (with the boss that
runs away after getting hurt several times
), you can go back to the previous dungeon. I forget the exact directions but I think somewhere near there is a level 140 - 150 enemy that once defeated, opens a door that is locked til he is beat. Two chests, one with an item of sorts, one with a really good sword. It also respawns if you leave and come back but you do have to fight the enemy again.

I posted this a while back but this thread is so big, I can't find the post now lol.

You can do this either with you + partner or in MP mode with AI folks. I'm not sure if you can get to this specific area in MP mode before you have gotten to it in SP mode, I might try that later today though I think most of the AI folks will get wrecked due to being under level 100 at the start lol.

Also if you're new to the game, make sure to check out my post, linked in the op: clicky

darkwing

lol dat poker game, even Klein wants to win, loving the game so far, follows the anime strategy of checking the boss chamber perfectly

ramyeon

Game is out in EU store now!

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...00?smcid=pdc:no-no:pdc-psn:ps store:null:null

Being at work i figured id try buying in on the web page and setting it to download on my PS Vita from there. But it seems it only get puts in the queue and i have to turn on (my Vita is on at home) the Vita for it to start. Havent tried it this way before so im not sure how it works.
That's earlier than expected but ugh at it being $60 on the Australian store. Australia being ripped off once again with game prices...

Mendrox

Game is out in EU store now!

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...00?smcid=pdc:no-no:pdc-psn:ps store:null:null

Being at work i figured id try buying in on the web page and setting it to download on my PS Vita from there. But it seems it only get puts in the queue and i have to turn on (my Vita is on at home) the Vita for it to start. Havent tried it this way before so im not sure how it works.

Told my roommate to put the Vita off sleep lol. Game downloads. Only a few hours to go for me. :3 Also got a new 50" Sony TV today.. Today greatness awaits!

PewPewK

So on "The Sweetness Challenge", I've finished the quest and am trying to turn it in, but he keeps saying my inventory is full. Viewing my inventory says that I'm at 39/200. I've sold tons of shit, send some to storage, and he still says it's filled. Bug or am I missing something?

ys45

Played this for about 2 hours yesterday evening , I took the time to read the tutorial I do not understand fully the combat and skill system but I'm trying to play smart by not mashing buttons without any reason so I use the switch system to control aggro and I try to use skills when I feel the time is right .
But It's not easy sometime I want to activate a skill or parry and the character won't do it , is it because I already started another action ? is it like a chain that queue actions in the order you activate them ?
Also the skills descriptions is pretty meh am I the only one who need to read them more than one time to make sense of them ?

E.G Don't remember the skill but there is one it says something like Grant slow or paralysis at first I thought wtf I get slowed by this but then I realize they meant "inflict" to the enemy

That aside the game is great and so far the translation for the story is not so bad, having watched the Anime of course help make sense of the story .

So much Waifu in this game :p

Abylim

Just grabbed this off the online store, been checking the vita store regularly and didnt see it.

Why is the vita store not updated? I would have missed out on it if not for this thread!!

Downloading now, $60 is a tough pill to swallow, but I love the show, and it sounds like I'll love this!

Abylim

How tricky is it to get the finishing blow on bosses? I really would love to get everything I can in one playthrough, will doing that lessen my enjoyment of the game?

Obviously you cant just run solo to make this easier, I'm assuming?

Phlebas

Banned
How tricky is it to get the finishing blow on bosses? I really would love to get everything I can in one playthrough, will doing that lessen my enjoyment of the game?

I think someone stated before that If you know that you won't be getting the last attack bonus on a boss, shut down the game asap because it auto-saves.

Can't vouch for this as I've not had to do that.

I'm 99% sure that you can't go solo.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

you can command everyone to stand back and do nothing, so it isn't too difficult; not sure if my partner was attacking when I was issuing the command.

Stuart444

I think someone stated before that If you know that you won't be getting the last attack bonus on a boss, shut down the game asap because it auto-saves.

Can't vouch for this as I've not had to do that.

I'm 99% sure that you can't go solo.

You can go Solo without a partner to boss fights but the other NPCs will still be there.

Again, look at my tips I posted above (which is also linked in the OT), I said there that you should shut down at the result screen, if you go past that, it will auto-save.

Have fun EU folks, I've got it downloaded and going to play it for a bit before I have to head out again.

Abylim

you can command everyone to stand back and do nothing, so it isn't too difficult; not sure if my partner was attacking when I was issuing the command.

Awesome, that sounds like it would make it simpler!

And yeah, I heard about the quitting before auto save deal, but that sounds like it could get annoying!

Thanks for the replies

Stuart444

Awesome, that sounds like it would make it simpler!

And yeah, I heard about the quitting before auto save deal, but that sounds like it could get annoying!

Thanks for the replies

It's not too annoying, auto-save means you'll start right back in town at wherever it last auto-saved (so if you didn't move between areas in town after returning from the field, you'll start back at Arc Sofia in front of the guy who takes you to the boss).

Handy.

darkwing

Played this for about 2 hours yesterday evening , I took the time to read the tutorial I do not understand fully the combat and skill system but I'm trying to play smart by not mashing buttons without any reason so I use the switch system to control aggro and I try to use skills when I feel the time is right .
But It's not easy sometime I want to activate a skill or parry and the character won't do it , is it because I already started another action ? is it like a chain that queue actions in the order you activate them ?
Also the skills descriptions is pretty meh am I the only one who need to read them more than one time to make sense of them ?

E.G Don't remember the skill but there is one it says something like Grant slow or paralysis at first I thought wtf I get slowed by this but then I realize they meant "inflict" to the enemy

That aside the game is great and so far the translation for the story is not so bad, having watched the Anime of course help make sense of the story .

So much Waifu in this game :p

Did you have enough SP to perform the skill?

Ohnonono

So I played about 2 hours of the game (most of which were inside the town messing about.) So lemme get this straight, my character is married to one of the ladies already? Spoil tag it if you must but how does the game react if you romance the other women in the game? Does this actually effect game-play in battle? Does your wife get mad at you? For a game throwing so many relationships at you it really surprised me that I already had one apparently! Don't be scared of spoilers cause I don't really care I just want to know how the game handles it before I start doing anything. Again plz spoil tag the answer cause someone I am sure does not want to know.

Damn looking around online its like everyone that owns a Vita and their mother bought this game aha. I wonder how much Bamco regrets doing a shody localization after seeing these numbers.

Top Bottom