• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Ohnonono

Sorry for double post. I really like the battles so far but I have one question. When I "Spam" the O button and eventually activate a sword art it is more powered up because i have used up my meter correct? Is there a way to change which sword art is used by default or if I want to use anything but the originally set one do I have to hold a trigger and do it manually? Also is there any way to buff outside of combat? The only way I could figure out is to pull little bullshit mobs and buff during that fight, then pull something bigger.

ZeroAKA

Damn looking around online its like everyone that owns a Vita and their mother bought this game aha. I wonder how much Bamco regrets doing a shody localization after seeing these numbers.
Can't imagine why they would. If anything, this might encourage them to continue doing shoddy localizations.

ys45

So I played about 2 hours of the game (most of which were inside the town messing about.) So lemme get this straight, my character is married to one of the ladies already? Spoil tag it if you must but how does the game react if you romance the other women in the game? Does this actually effect game-play in battle? Does your wife get mad at you? For a game throwing so many relationships at you it really surprised me that I already had one apparently! Don't be scared of spoilers cause I don't really care I just want to know how the game handles it before I start doing anything. Again plz spoil tag the answer cause someone I am sure does not want to know.

Dude your not thinking about cheating on
Asuna
are you ? :p

Mendax

Damn looking around online its like everyone that owns a Vita and their mother bought this game aha. I wonder how much Bamco regrets doing a shody localization after seeing these numbers.

what's up with this, why even bother doing a new one after the asian english one then? This aint something to let the interns practice on lol...

you still here, Ishhak? Will/can someone look at it again for a fix or before the content patch?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

More like they better be getting an improvement patch ready seriously.

Yeah you are probably right on that one actually. Still, there's some lost potential there, this game deserved better then that. Calling this my favorite Vita title of the year would be putting things lightly, it is the type of game that once it clicks, there's no coming back. You are sucked in and forget all about other games :p

Game is out in EU store now!

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...00?smcid=pdc:no-no:pdc-psn:ps store:null:null

Being at work i figured id try buying in on the web page and setting it to download on my PS Vita from there. But it seems it only get puts in the queue and i have to turn on (my Vita is on at home) the Vita for it to start. Havent tried it this way before so im not sure how it works.

Holy... o.o Thanks for the info that was a early store update! :eek:

Told my roommate to put the Vita off sleep lol. Game downloads. Only a few hours to go for me. :3 Also got a new 50" Sony TV today.. Today greatness awaits!

Whoa gratz! :D Soon I can join, soon!

Bve1aXKCMAEFDFw.jpg

And while I normally don't like fan covers all that much everyone should still listen to this awesome English version of SAO's opening sung by Amanda Lee :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO60ahwc8FI

Parakeetman

Sorry for double post. I really like the battles so far but I have one question. When I "Spam" the O button and eventually activate a sword art it is more powered up because i have used up my meter correct? Is there a way to change which sword art is used by default or if I want to use anything but the originally set one do I have to hold a trigger and do it manually? Also is there any way to buff outside of combat? The only way I could figure out is to pull little bullshit mobs and buff during that fight, then pull something bigger.

You will want to take the sword skill off that bar as its a waste of SP all sword skills are far better off being manually activated.

You can buff outside of combat as long as you have the skills. Press L1 R1 to bring up the full menu and do it that way.

You can use the separate L1 R1 menus but the huge L1 + R1 menu you can also activate stuff manually as long as you have it set up the way you can reach everything quickly.

So I tried using a couple different weapons, specifically a two-handed axe and a scimitar. A sword with a shield too.

I clearly am not understanding how the skill system works yet because I do very little damage with anything other than dual swords. I have started to mess around with skills but they seem too low to be of any use yet, while dual swords is very effective. So it seems I will have to stick to dual swords for a while?

I also wanted to ask if there were other attack skills I should add to my skill pallette so that I am not just mashing circle with a square thrown in to stun the enemies all the time. It's working for me now but I feel that strategy is going to be bad in the long run.

ZeroAKA

More like they better be getting an improvement patch ready seriously.
I hope so. The game looks fun enough, but I haven't bought it yet purely because I don't want to support Bamco's laziness.
Although I might have if they kept the Asian "penetration" lines.

darkwing

So I played about 2 hours of the game (most of which were inside the town messing about.) So lemme get this straight, my character is married to one of the ladies already? Spoil tag it if you must but how does the game react if you romance the other women in the game? Does this actually effect game-play in battle? Does your wife get mad at you? For a game throwing so many relationships at you it really surprised me that I already had one apparently! Don't be scared of spoilers cause I don't really care I just want to know how the game handles it before I start doing anything. Again plz spoil tag the answer cause someone I am sure does not want to know.

hmm in the anime , you got married in the game, not in real life, I guess it would be like getting married in MMOs?

btw are we going spoiler tag free on anime discussions?

RK128

i wish this game was canon and arc 2 didnt exist in its current form

After watching the second half of season 1....really have to agree with this :(. A lot just felt....off in the second half
Kitrios cousin/sister falling for him via game? Asuana becoming the damsel and getting abused by some creep? Said creep having NO redeeming value what so ever compared to Halfcliff (who not only having a some-what valid reason for trapping everyone but for giving Kitrio the edge for the final fight against the second-half villain)? ......Not to mention the fairy world, despite being interesting and using the 'flight' ability to make some cool battle scenes, didn't compare to the world of ASO from the first half :(.

Even though I don't own the game yet (plan to this fall/holiday), the game's story already sold me just on the fact they did copy the second ark again (Asuana still remaining as a cool character, characters from latter Arks appearing (and hopefully, them having a reason for being in ASO), and just being able to explore the world of ASO is cool).

Stuart444

Extra tip for people who may not have noticed: Hit X when not in battle, top thing in that menu is an Event list for people who want to see all the events.

Also I went up against the monster who killed me the first time (in the JP version), the level 126 one in the tutorial area... I died again. I just don't have enough accuracy to hit him enough before he overpowers me. :( I also avoided saying Nice so much to my Partner so I didn't have enough SP to deal with using skills constantly either.

Oh well. At least I tried.

Parakeetman

So I tried using a couple different weapons, specifically a two-handed axe and a scimitar. A sword with a shield too.

I clearly am not understanding how the skill system works yet because I do very little damage with anything other than dual swords. I have started to mess around with skills but they seem too low to be of any use yet, while dual swords is very effective. So it seems I will have to stick to dual swords for a while?

I also wanted to ask if there were other attack skills I should add to my skill pallette so that I am not just mashing circle with a square thrown in to stun the enemies all the time. It's working for me now but I feel that strategy is going to be bad in the long run.

You will really want to learn what each sword skill does and such, in regards to status effects, how many enemies it can hit, type of animation motion it goes through etc. As it will all play out eventually when you get further in the game.

Basically the weapons the higher the total skill lv the more damage it will do.

I can assure you the axe does insane amounts of damage but you need to land your attacks. Which is why I suggested getting the rapiers accuracy skills. You will really need it anyways for all weapons as a base skill to use when fighting stuff higher lv than yourself.
(older vid of mine showing off some early 2HAxe stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILR4GSqFi8I

this is a really good tip, I forgot to take it off, you would always want to manage/watch your SP all the time

yeah since later on fights will be very very heavily dependent on how well you can manage your SP. Esp if you want to go after the good loot.

Ohnonono

You will want to take the sword skill off that bar as its a waste of SP all sword skills are far better off being manually activated.

You can buff outside of combat as long as you have the skills. Press L1 R1 to bring up the full menu and do it that way.

You can use the separate L1 R1 menus but the huge L1 + R1 menu you can also activate stuff manually as long as you have it set up the way you can reach everything quickly.

Baller, thanks! The more I can get this to play like an actual MMO the better off I will be. It seemed really weird to just be running through my SP like that. Now does my burst meter being lower make my sword arts hit harder or not? For some reason I thought it said that.

darkwing

I'm thinking your new weapons have low skill points at the moment compared to the two-handed swords?

RK128

Well, the game seems to call you out on it already (early cut-scenes) and the guy didn't even DO anything yet XD! The game isn't cannon with the main story-line, so don't let it bug you that much :).

When I play the game, I plan on sticking with the cannon paring (as I just like the dynamic of Kitario and Asuna; the first half of the series has really great moments with them.....he is even afraid of her at some points XD!) but with the game not being cannon, I think you are free to do as you want :l.

I don't own the game, so I have no idea what the issues will be but I think the story largely plays there marriage off for laughs instead of something serious (ironic, considering how in the anime the guy goes through hell just to be with her
to the point of going to yet ANOTHER MMO to save her
, so seeing him mess around with the other characters is a bit odd).

Parakeetman

Baller, thanks! The more I can get this to play like an actual MMO the better off I will be. It seemed really weird to just be running through my SP like that. Now does my burst meter being lower make my sword arts hit harder or not? For some reason I thought it said that.

Am not too sure about the burst meter stuff since its a new system to me as I started from the original PSP game.

Though one thing you will want to pay attention more is your own risk level. I actually had a post about risk I should find it. Give me a sec.

hmm in the anime , you got married in the game, not in real life, I guess it would be like getting married in MMOs?

btw are we going spoiler tag free on anime discussions?

if folks havent watched the anime yet they really shouldnt be in here in the first place. but just tag stuff just in case.

ramyeon

Finished downloading, glad it didn't end up taking 1000 minutes lol. Still took awhile though, maybe I'll be able to get in a bit of playtime before I sleep.

LOL it's safe to say that Bamco dun goofed, this surpassed their expectations for sure. Heck even their marketing for the game sucked... The community did the job for them, if they have anyone to thank for these numbers, it's the internet. And yes I am very bitter even though it is doing great and I love how everyone is enjoying the game that I too love immensely. Just the way they handled things pisses me off, it's all. Even the whole miscommunication with this including two games, that they never really cleared up... I wonder how many folks came here to ask about that after that announcement.

Parakeetman

i should add this risk info to the FAQ

Actually no evade uses the Burst Meter. The Risk meter just means the higher it is, the more damage you can take, same for the enemy. For players Risk is generally raised by continuously attacking. Seeing how we have skills that raise risk instantly, would be safe to say that enemies potentially have it also. Though I personally have not seen it yet.

Chaining attacks together using the burst meter increases the damage output of said attacks.

---

Heres a quick explanation of the Risk system, since understanding this makes things easier for killing enemies. For yourself you just need to pay attention to it when a large attack is incoming.

Risk System
The Risk status increases damage taken from attacks or sword skills. Both yourself, allies and the enemy. Also increases time between attacks. The higher the risk level the higher the negative effects.

How to raise Risk
  1. Cancel a skill
  2. Take critical damage
  3. Using a Sword Skill
  4. Be knocked back
  5. Be staggered
  6. Taking more than 10% HP damage in a single hit
  7. Taking damage from behind
  8. Get stunned
  9. Entering Bleeding status
*1-5 can raise the level quickly, 6-9 takes some time before raising the level.

Risk Break
Risk Break occurs when the Risk level goes to the max lv V (5). With good timing, using the parry command or sword skills, it is possible to raise the target to risk break status immediately.

Effects of Risk Break
  • Enemy takes double damage
  • Enemy attack speed is decreased by x2
  • Enemy skill activation speed is increased by x2
  • All Buffs are removed from Enemy.

darkwing

I don't own the game, so I have no idea what the issues will be but I think the story largely plays there marriage off for laughs instead of something serious (ironic, considering how in the anime the guy goes through hell just to be with her
to the point of going to yet ANOTHER MMO to save her
, so seeing him mess around with the other characters is a bit odd).

this is why I liked the second arc too, it just shows no matter how good you are in a virtual world, real world still trumps it

amazing, 5M+ views, also SAO already has 600+ ratings in the PS store

Lisbeth thanks you all wonderful people

Whoa I never saw it but 5 million is wow o.o I didn't realize how popular her channel is :eek: Rightfully so though! :)

And glad that SAO's PSN rating goes off too :D Normally I don't rate things but I guess I can make a exception here :p

Parakeetman

But, but she's the best waifu !
And considering the story up to this part it feels strange to flirt with other girls .

The thing is, that its your own actions doing it. Therefore you guys really have yourselves to blame for the waifu betrayal guilt lol.
With the way Kirito is in the show hes too dense to try anything anyways. Possibly too scared...
QDbM98o.png

RK128

this is why I liked the second arc too, it just shows no matter how good you are in a virtual world, real world still trumps it

Are you talking about the ending of the ark? I mean, when I saw the ending I felt great too; he finally is with Asuna for real, everyone that was trapped in SAO is back to there normal lives, he uses
the seed
to fix MMO gaming and rekindles his bond with his cousin/sister. The ending felt great after seeing
that prick of a villain suffer for pulling the crap he does and seeing Halfcliff helping Kitrao out with what I though was him saying "...You know what, this guy went to far. Here is the stuff you need to REALLY make the bastard pay"

If you mean the overall story for the ark? ....Just didn't like how Asuna was handled in the ark....but I guess that was there excuse to have Kitaro go into the MMO world again and give his sister/cousin a lot more screen time and character. It was also nice to see Yu have a bigger role here then she did in the SAO ark (also just see here alive again was really nice :')).

OK, before I jump in, from the sound of it this is a very, very meaty game with lots to do and get. That's a safe bet, right? I've been trending towards wanting meatier experiences that I can play for a long time.

RK128

OK, before I jump in, from the sound of it this is a very, very meaty game with lots to do and get. That's a safe bet, right? I've been trending towards wanting meatier experiences that I can play for a long time.

Well, from what can understand from impressions here and online, the game really is just two games fused together; the PSP game from JP that never came here in a new coat of paint and with stronger mechanics/gameplay/ect paired with the Vita 'sequel' that happens alongside the PSP game with completely different environments and places to explore.

Each place has tons of content (the 25+ floors seem to be huge and the character interactions in the towns just make it even better) and the Hollow Forest just location wise very different then the main floors (the floors just look to be going up/down while the Forest is I guess, more like a 'real' MMO; lots of flat lands but with tons of foes to fight and things being very different graphically).

This hybrid of two games makes the 40 price tag easer to understand I think :D. Also, considering how the Hallow Forest section is the only one made ground-up for Vita, the normal floors may look weaker visually in comparison (as they originated from the PSP game and only got up-rezzing/AA I think).

darkwing

Are you talking about the ending of the ark? I mean, when I saw the ending I felt great too; he finally is with Asuna for real, everyone that was trapped in SAO is back to there normal lives, he uses
the seed
to fix MMO gaming and rekindles his bond with his cousin/sister. The ending felt great after seeing
that prick of a villain suffer for pulling the crap he does and seeing Halfcliff helping Kitrao out with what I though was him saying "...You know what, this guy went to far. Here is the stuff you need to REALLY make the bastard pay"

If you mean the overall story for the ark? ....Just didn't like how Asuna was handled in the ark....but I guess that was there excuse to have Kitaro go into the MMO world again and give his sister/cousin a lot more screen time and character. It was also nice to see Yu have a bigger role here then she did in the SAO ark (also just see here alive again was really nice :')).

this sums up what I feel about the second arc,
I really thought he was going to kill Sugo for what he did to Asuna lol

anyways about the game, really surprise at the amount of small talks the game has, I guess that is why BN scrimped out on the localization budget lol

Parakeetman

You most def will have a lot to do. Several users here are close to 100 hrs with the Asian version.

My JP version was around 60 now possibly and thats just me leveling and looking for loot not really advancing too much.

Its all about how you want to play it and at what pace.

Bittercup

But, but she's the best waifu !
And considering the story up to this part it feels strange to flirt with other girls .
Yeah she's great <3 But the trophies... :eek:
Otherwise I wouldn't think about it. Does it have any ingame effect if you flirt with multiple girls?

Parakeetman

Man this game is hard, or rather I suck at it I'm getting my ass handed by this bastards in the hollow area, any tips?

Work on your parries, dodge and take the sword skill off from your burst gauge as you will be wasting SP.

Watch your RISK number too higher it goes more damage you will be taking.

Also stun is your friend so be doing that onslaught when it seems to make the most sense such as right before the enemy does his special skill to cancel it.

Asides from that its about leveling / skilling up and then purchasing battle skills which supplement you in fights with buffs, debuffs, healing etc. Sword skills also for when you know which weapon types you plan on sticking with.

Yeah she's great <3 But the trophies... :eek:
Otherwise I wouldn't think about it. Does it have any ingame effect if you flirt with multiple girls?

Nothing too serious.

RK128

this sums up what I feel about the second arc,
I really thought he was going to kill Sugo for what he did to Asuna lol

anyways about the game, really surprise at the amount of small talks the game has, I guess that is why BN scrimped out on the localization budget lol

I was
surprised he didn't kill him either; I mean....what he did to Asuna was just...man, I hated the prick but never thought I would hate a villain THAT much. Him molesting her right in front of Kitaro....really, really got angry at the villain for doing that to the poor guy.

Honestly, I just felt really bad for Kitaro for the whole second ark.
I mean, he lives while Asuana 'dies' in the real world, but not only learns that she is still alive via her mind/soul trapped in the SAO servers but said servers controlled by a really piece of work that acts like she belongs to him X(.

Rnr1224

Ill be picking this up tomorrow morning. Cleared a bunch of space of my memory card
(16 GB is too small :()
so that im all set. Excited to try it out!

darkwing

I was
surprised he didn't kill him either; I mean....what he did to Asuna was just...man, I hated the prick but never thought I would hate a villain THAT much. Him molesting her right in front of Kitaro....really, really got angry at the villain for doing that to the poor guy.

Honestly, I just felt really bad for Kitaro for the whole second ark.
I mean, he lives while Asuana 'dies' in the real world, but not only learns that she is still alive via her mind/soul trapped in the SAO servers but said servers controlled by a really piece of work that acts like she belongs to him X(.

just part of the drama, I think this is what the creator was going for, toying with our emotions, but it all pays in the end, dem feels on the bicycle ride

Parakeetman

What do you mean removing sword skill off the burst gauge ?
You mean the skill in your palette you access by pressing R and L button ?

There should be something that allows you to set whats on your burst gage. I dont have the game with me so cant access it and tell you exactly what to do.

Try poking around your settings but there is one where you can change what skills go where and such. One of them being what you put on the burst gauge.

Since when its on your burst gauge with how it is by default the last action will be a sword skill, which is a waste of SP as it will always activate as long as you press O enough and have SP. Rather than you activating it when you want to.

Top Bottom