• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

ramyeon

not gonna lie, if it's this or nothing, give it to me
This is a bad stance to take imo and supporting these kinds of localisations make companies like Bamco think they can get away with minimal effort. I'm guilty as well since at the end of the day I handed over my money but I think people should definitely be vocal about their dissatisfaction.

Hell, they could have at least sold it at a decent price considering the localisation but here in Australia they charge top dollar ($60) for it. I'm hard pressed to find a title more expensive on the Vita store, I don't think there are any more expensive than that.

Stuart444

People defending the shoddy localisation are just as bad as the hyperbole, I've seen an equal amount of both (Actually more of the former probably!). I'm liking the game so far but it deserved better than what it got.

There is some insane defending of the translation on gamefaqs (if you want to see more of the hyperbole, twitter is your source for that lol) but some like myself understand why they went with this and have no issue explaining to people who ask "why?" but I'm not going to defend it.

I stand by what I said before. It's horrible, should have been done better but it's understandable and playable.

If it's this or nothing, I'll take it and hope they decide to either patch it or handle the sequel better now that it's known as a proven success. (I hope this is a success...)

Ryuukan

This is a bad stance to take imo and supporting these kinds of localisations make companies like Bamco think they can get away with minimal effort. I'm guilty as well since at the end of the day I handed over my money but I think people should definitely be vocal about their dissatisfaction.

No doubt, but unfortunately this isn't some NISA game that will sell big due to an LE loaded with sextoys. I still can't believe it was released here at all. Ball is very much in Bandai's court.

ramyeon

There is some insane defending of the translation on gamefaqs (if you want to see more of the hyperbole, twitter is your source for that lol) but some like myself understand why they went with this and have no issue explaining to people who ask "why?" but I'm not going to defend it.

I stand by what I said before. It's horrible, should have been done better but it's understandable and playable.

If it's this or nothing, I'll take it and hope they decide to either patch it or handle the sequel better now that it's known as a proven success. (I hope this is a success...)
Yeah GameFAQs is where I saw a lot of it, it was pretty much outright denial from 90% of the posters. Really weird. I don't really use Twitter so I'm safe from that lol.

I think people should definitely buy it to support localisations of niche games but be vocal about dissatisfaction, let Bamco know that this isn't really acceptable. Otherwise they're just going to profit and think that this kind of thing is okay to keep doing.

duckroll

Lowered expectations and begging for scraps from publishers who don't care about quality or effort is totally what I expect from Sword Art Online fans! :)

Stuart444

but I think people should definitely be vocal about their dissatisfaction.

I will say, I encourage people to be vocal but I also don't think people should be hyperbolic by claiming crap like it's unplayable.

But I DO encourage people to be vocal about their dissatisfaction. There is no excuse for the shoddyness so I hope people are vocal about it. The more people are vocal, the more likely they are to change things in the future or fix it.

Not going to lie though, I was surprised Sony allowed this through. I knew there was the possibility that they were going to only make small changes but I also thought that Sony might not have allowed it through resulting in another delay. (or even a cancellation of the title)

Yeah GameFAQs is where I saw a lot of it, it was pretty much outright denial from 90% of the posters.

Yup, heh. No defending those posters. I actually decided against posting because I knew it would be useless (wanted to respond to someone who said the translation was perfect which I burst out laughing at >_> )

LX_Theo

Banned
So, how much is this game just retell the events of the anime? How much of the premise, cast, and story is its own concept?

Stuart444

So, how much is this game just retell the events of the anime? How much of the premise, cast, and story is its own concept?

Recap of the background story. (death game, floor 75, etc).

Two game-only characters, two characters from later arcs.

Premise is a "What if" they never completed the game at Floor 75 story.

jackdoe

So Kirito just stopped being voiced during the cutscenes. Is this normal? I feel that it is, but they picked such a weird moment to just stop his voice acting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Don't think Ando even cares about the project anymore. Seems like Yura is begging, while Ando said "okay I'll do it if you can get the money haha."

bXZs1WG.jpg

:D

Parakeetman

truthfully am surprised SCEA didnt fail the submission just based off of the engrish. granted its not exactly a TRC thing cept for system related for the most part, but they are the last line of defense on when a company tries to pull a fast one and pass off shoddy work like this. for asia where english isnt exactly the main language sure not perfect english works and do know for a fact bannam does 'as long as its understandable' type of decisions but in the west stuff like this should not go unchecked.

id say all of you with twitter accounts and the game hit up the bannam twitter accounts regardless if they check it or not and RESPECTFULLY voice you dissatisfaction with the poor localization.

once again i stress be RESPECTFUL as it puts far more weight on your words in these situations.

as stupid as it sounds should voice dissatisfaction to Shuhei also about Sony allowing such poor localization through the approval process.

the more noise you make and be well spoken and respectful about more chances of mainstream media picking it up making articles bringing pressure on bannam

Stuart444

Off topic but I refresh this thread so much that I saw each one of your edits... I have seen that several times, refreshing and seeing other peoples edits as well. Just funny but since this thread has gotten so busy, I've refreshed it a lot more haha.

I do stress the be respectful line as well. I get kinda sick seeing some of the bile that sounds like the type of stuff guys in Customer Support (phone line wise) deal with every day. It's not nice over the phone and it isn't nice on twitter or on the internet in general either.

so how do you change your partner's outfits on fly? I gave asuna a nighty to wear, and it just is weird. how do i get her back to default attire?
'

Prelude.

so how do you change your partner's outfits on fly? I gave asuna a nighty to wear, and it just is weird. how do i get her back to default attire?
'
I'm not completely sure since I don't have the game but I think that before the update you had to leave the area you're in before you can see the outfits change.

Xenus

truthfully am surprised SCEA didnt fail the submission just based off of the engrish. granted its not exactly a TRC thing cept for system related for the most part, but they are the last line of defense on when a company tries to pull a fast one and pass off shoddy work like this. for asia where english isnt exactly the main language sure not perfect english works and do know for a fact bannam does 'as long as its understandable' type of decisions but in the west stuff like this should not go unchecked.

id say all of you with twitter accounts and the game hit up the bannam twitter accounts regardless if they check it or not and RESPECTFULLY voice you dissatisfaction with the poor localization.

once again i stress be RESPECTFUL as it puts far more weight on your words in these situations.

as stupid as it sounds should voice dissatisfaction to Shuhei also about Sony allowing such poor localization through the approval process.

the more noise you make and be well spoken and respectful about more chances of mainstream media picking it up making articles bringing pressure on bannam
If it's true they cleaned up a lot in the first few hours it could be that no one made the effort to go through the game and check. Not that it is really their jobs to. Though if the first few hours really are cleaned up there is hope of more improvements come sepetember especially if people make polite noise as you say.

Parakeetman

If it's true they cleaned up a lot in the first few hours it could be that no one made the effort to go through the game and check. Not that it is really their jobs to. Though if the first few hours really are cleaned up there is hope of more improvements come sepetember especially if people make polite noise as you say.

they would have access to the master text file thats how it would be checked by the localization team.

its not about playing the game to see whats wrong its about. someone should have gone and done a proper cleaning of the master file which for their sake better be going on and will be patched later.

antibolo

Banned
The fact that they shipped the game with Japan/Asia-style X/Circle binding definitely proves that SCEA and SCEE did not even perform the usual certification process for that game, much less check the quality of the text.

I guess this only further demonstrates how they no longer give a damn about the Vita.

Prelude.

nope not it
Well, there's this option so if you don't have it it's probably in the update.

The fact that they shipped the game with Japan/Asia-style X/Circle binding definitely proves that SCEA and SCEE did not even perform the usual certification process for that game, much less check the quality of the text.

I guess this only further demonstrates how they no longer give a damn about the Vita.
Did MGS skip certification every single time? Damn you, Kojima.

ViciousDS

Banned

Oh great, I'm still going to pick it up to support it when I get my playstation tv. But I really hope they possibly come out with a patch or something to fix the translation issues.

Parakeetman

Oh great, I'm still going to pick it up to support it when I get my playstation tv. But I really hope they possibly come out with a patch or something to fix the translation issues.

i wouldnt listen to that guy you quoted, but most def its a game worth getting for all the content it provides.

but at the same time bannam needs to be leaned on to know this does not fly. esp when there are other titles at the same price which are properly localized

game works great on the psvtv as thats where all my recorded footage comes from. though you will need something to bypass the hdcp if you want to record stuff. which you would need to find on your own unfortunately.

Steel

Banned
Found an instance where Penetrations was used for floor clearing. In fairness it was in the random gibberish dialogue minigame and went by so fast I didn't take a screen shot. In either case, translation isn't terrible for the most part, but at this point I'm seeing at least one error per scene.

Silvawuff

Loving the game so far. It's very deep and there's a lot to see and do. I think the rough localization is making the game harder to understand than it should, but it's not unplayable. Hopefully we'll see a lot of this get fixed in a future patch.

ramyeon

Well, there's this option so if you don't have it it's probably in the update.

Did MGS skip certification every single time? Damn you, Kojima.
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is post-patch. I remember Havian in one of his videos being really confused about how to change back to default armour after giving them stuff, because there's just no option for it. You just have to give them something else to replace it and apparently that can sometimes cause you to lose the item they had equipped? Not sure if that's true.

Partner equipment handling is clunky and obtuse as hell before the patch.

KuroNeeko

I started watching the anime so I can pick this up in a few days (JP version). It's not bad, but half of that is probably because I used to play MMOs. The anime does a good job of invoking that feeling on being in an MMO world despite the cultural differences.

The only things I don't really like so far are Kirito's OPness and the camera work (and Asuna's walking animation in the opening is weird.) You'll be watching some sad or tragic moment where the female character is expressing feeling and the camera will be centered squarely on her ass. "Hey everyone! Don't mind what this character is talking about - just look at her ass!"

Game sounds fun and I'll probably scoop it up.

As for Bamco localizations, I don't want to say too much but their localizations (with a few exceptions - notably the Tales series) are generally bad. I believe they outsource the work to a third party and I've personally done damage control on shoddy translations in the past only to have all of my changes undone when the next draft rolls around. It's extremely frustrating. There are few localization companies that can produce truly natural sounding translations for games, but they are increasing. The place I work at was looking for translators recently and some of the applicants were shockingly bad. I think out of about 15 or so applicants, only 2 were really qualified to take the job.

From what I've seen, I'd probably say that Atlus and Square have the best in-house localization teams - with Square getting the nod. I've been a fan of Atlus for a while, but I think they can get carried away with the memes at times. Square's work on FFXIV is fantastic (from what I've seen) and I'm always impressed with how they can untangle those (almost needlessly) complex storylines into some comprehensible. I respect both teams a lot, but if I had to compare them I'd probably say that Square takes something that is overly convoluted and makes it presentable. The Persona titles, especially P3 and P4, already have a great script and the Atlus team manages to keep most of that in their localizations despite the cultural differences between Japan and "the West."

I've been curious about Xseed and their work for a while, but I usually end up buying Ys locally here so I haven't had a chance to read it.

* I think Platinum might make the list, but I haven't had a chance to play the localized ports yet.

ramyeon

Oh man, the introductions of Leafa and Sinon are so forced and rushed haha. Is there any explanation as to why Suguha looks like her ALfheim Avatar as opposed to her real self in SAO? Didn't Kayaba make it so that everyone's avatar's changed to their real life selves in the first episode? Kinda weird that she's the only exception, even Sinon got redesigned to look like her real self for the game.

Edit: Ahaha oh man that OP song and animation takes me back.

Parakeetman

Oh man, the introductions of Leafa and Sinon are so forced and rushed haha. Is there any explanation as to why Suguha looks like her ALfheim Avatar as opposed to her real self in SAO? Didn't Kayaba make it so that everyone's avatar's changed to their real life selves in the first episode? Kinda weird that she's the only exception, even Sinon got redesigned to look like her real self for the game.

Edit: Ahaha oh man that OP song and animation takes me back.

they comoressed it. was a little longer in infinity moment

ramyeon

How do you increase the amount of talk time? I always start with less than half, tried sitting on different benches around town but that doesn't change anything :/ pretty hard to level up relationships when the bar is that low.

JPS Kai

How do you increase the amount of talk time? I always start with less than half, tried sitting on different benches around town but that doesn't change anything :/ pretty hard to level up relationships when the bar is that low.

When you take your partner to certain areas, an orange chat bubble will appear. Your bedroom and the fountain in front of the inn are the two easiest places to do it.

ramyeon

When you take your partner to certain areas, an orange chat bubble will appear. Your bedroom and the fountain in front of the inn are the two easiest places to do it.
Oh so it'll be orange as opposed to yellow? Haven't seen that yet, outside near the fountain it was yellow and in my room on the couch no bubbles pop up at all lol they just sit there awkwardly looking at each other.

JPS Kai

Oh so it'll be orange as opposed to yellow? Haven't seen that yet, outside near the fountain it was yellow and in my room on the couch no bubbles pop up at all lol they just sit there awkwardly looking at each other.

Maybe it is yellow, I forget. But they will want to initiate the conversation as you wander near the fountain. If you do it while there's no chat bubble, you'll only get maybe 50% talk time. If you do it right, you should fill up the enjoy gauge by about a full bar per response.

ramyeon

Maybe it is yellow, I forget. But they will want to initiate the conversation as you wander near the fountain. If you do it while there's no chat bubble, you'll only get maybe 50% talk time. If you do it right, you should fill up the enjoy gauge by about a full bar per response.
Well when the yellow chat bubble pops up I still get less than 50% of the talk time bar full, that's what I mean.

tensuke

If you want to voice your opinion about the translations to Shu, or anyone else on Twitter, I'd attach screenshots of bad engrish. Seeing it over and over might drive the point home that the translation should have been better.

JPS Kai

Well when the yellow chat bubble pops up I still get less than 50% of the talk time bar full, that's what I mean.

Maybe your friendship rank is too low. Try and see if you are only rank one or two with that partner. Bring a partner that's up to level 3+ and see if that makes a difference.

ramyeon

Maybe your friendship rank is too low. Try and see if you are only rank one or two with that partner. Bring a partner that's up to level 3+ and see if that makes a difference.
Ah that must be it, now I'm rank 3 and I just got one with more time. Cheers.

Edit: How careful do you have to be not to be seen doing the bridal carry at level 5? Yui walks into the inn every time I leave my room lol.

Edit 2: Apparently I was being too worried and she didn't give a damn I was cheating on her mum lol.

kiryogi

Banned
You get more time when your friendship increases. The fountain is really great for wooing the ladies, or at least with Strea.

Top Bottom