• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

depward

This game is intriguing. I do have some questions that I haven't really seen many answers on before picking up:

1) does the map tell you where to go for quests and objectives?

2) what is the battle // everything else ratio?

3) can I play this and have fun without having to consult FAQs and the like?

agree

ludtvl.jpg

pls do not steal this pic to bash SAO twitter monsters

Can love exist in MMOs

ramyeon

I was about to ask this exact question. Anyone? :)
All I managed to find out is that all the Skills I praised were just "Sword Skills" not "ATK Support Skills". The only ATK Support Skill I've ever seen her use was First Step and she's only used it once... would be great if someone could shed some light on how to do this!

Mendax

This game is intriguing. I do have some questions that I haven't really seen many answers on before picking up:

1) i think it does for story quests but not for kill and fetch quests, but those are easy to find from the description (and the mobs become marked with an exclamation mark during one..)

2) 3 or 4 to 1 at least

3) yes, although it will take quite some time to figure out the systems etc. on your own but that doesnt make it less fun

Defuser

Here's a good video on why OSS implement is important to unlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgdDF1lntDA

As you can see the guy uses 5 different skills in a row with each attack getting stronger and dealing more damage. Not to mention completing all the joint sword skills reduces the SP consumption up to 30% for each skill executed.

With SP buffs and regen, you can actually chain over 10+ skill attacks which is more than enough to slaughter all the lvl 3 hollow area bosses.

Another good example is how the guy activated the buffs using the L+R window fast and slaughter a monster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPMmtrW4gI

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
All I managed to find out is that all the Skills I praised were just "Sword Skills" not "ATK Support Skills". The only ATK Support Skill I've ever seen her use was First Step and she's only used it once... would be great if someone could shed some light on how to do this!

Im pretty sure that names2hard4you fella had posted info on that a while back I think.

Im pretty sure that names2hard4you fella had posted info on that a while back I think.

Yup Stuart I believe even quoted those posts of mine on his comprehensive tips guide, which is on the very first page of the thread ^ I sorta took the time to study the AI and how to nurture it in an effective way. The stuff is compiled on that link. Of course there is much more to it, but the jist of it is all there. As time goes on, and with the info that I posted there, it should give you an idea about how the system works, and how important it actually is.

EDIT/ADD-ON: If you want to tackle higher leveled bosses, a well nurtured AI more prone to follow your commands will for sure increase your chances of winning. Me and my nurtured BUFF Sinon took down a lvl 180, myself as a lvl 119, and her 112, in less than a minute and a half. All it took was good commands, skill blocks and staggers, and of course some good Skill management.

Parakeetman

Yup Stuart I believe even quoted those posts of mine on his comprehensive tips guide, which is on the very first page of the thread ^ I sorta took the time to study the AI and how to nurture it in an effective way. The stuff is compiled on that link

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126049820&postcount=2381
think this is the direct post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125932343&postcount=2086
this is the full stuart post
-------

Also the game pretty much should be telling you what type of skill your partner is doing with little ATK, DEF, BUFF text that floats around when they do their action. Which gives you a visual indicator of what category they just did.

Sigh, I can't seem to enjoy fighting bigger monsters, but I think I'm doing something wrong.
The flow of a normal battle is:
>Keep pressing O, preferably when the circle appears for Just Attacks.
>Once your Risk is 5, switch (the >switch< is switching who the enemy targets, right?) since your points will regenerate faster.
>Spam "Good", because it replenishes your SP and since the system sometimes is really weird (AI does something worth praising but is giving me "?") so mashing it yields the best results.
>When a monster is preparing a stronger attack block or stun him (I hate that the block has such a long cooldown, but I guess it'd have been op otherwise).
>Use skills either at an end of the combo or freely if you need burst damage/stat boost.
Am I missing something?

I only got home now. I wanted to reply but typing on my phone can lead to some auto-correct jankiness so let's see if I can help you out, I'll go in the same order as your posts:

>Yes press O, but don't do it when your burst bar at the bottom of your screen is depleted. Not only will it raise your heat level, it'll also do less damage. Use skills if you have SP, or don't press anything so you can Auto-attack and regain the burst bar back! (which segways nicely with the next question)
> Heat level is 5? SWITCH!
> DO NOT SPAM GOOD! Your goal is to nurture the AI, not only to raise specific stats but to also make those specific actions that you say "Nice" to happen with more occurrence, what you are telling her now when you say "nice" all the time is that every action that she makes is good! That's bad!!! Before you get into any battles, talk to her and change her fighting style to ATK, BUFF, or DEF. From there, let's say you choose to pursue attack. Use the Heroine command wheel and ask her to perform skills (for example) in your fights. After doing so if you see "Atk Skill" on the bottom left, you will want to say "Nice"! By doing this you will be telling the AI "this is exactly what I want you to do when I ask you to perform a skill". If you are nurturing attack you don't want to say nice to anything else but that. Not only will this make the parameter that you chose level up faster, since you are focusing on it, it'll unlock that particular costume faster as well!
>Last two you got correctly!

That's it I think. If anyone wants to add on to this list, you are welcome to, but this one already a bit longish aha, sorry about that. Hope it helps you and that you enjoy the game more Hasemo!

I digged back quite a bit and found this exchange I had which I think encapsulates a lot of what is being asked around here. This may be helpful, I see a lot of folks asking the same thing here, so hopefully this can shed some light

ramyeon

Yup Stuart I believe even quoted those posts of mine on his comprehensive tips guide, which is on the very first page of the thread ^ I sorta took the time to study the AI and how to nurture it in an effective way. The stuff is compiled on that link. Of course there is much more to it, but the jist of it is all there. As time goes on, and with the info that I posted there, it should give you an idea about how the system works, and how important it actually is.

EDIT/ADD-ON: If you want to tackle higher leveled bosses, a well nurtured AI more prone to follow your commands will for sure increase your chances of winning. Me and my nurtured BUFF Sinon took down a lvl 180, myself as a lvl 119, and her 112, in less than a minute and a half. All it took was good commands, skill blocks and staggers, and of course some good Skill management.
Cheers, will definitely check that out. I've been playing with the AI to get the outfits from them but it's interesting just how much it actually does change the way they behave. For whatever reason I thought "Sword Skill" on the graphs didn't count towards getting the costumes, but it seems like it actually does since I just got the Buff one with max Buff Sword Skills and Stun.
And that's my last for tonight, it is way too late and I am way too tired haha.

Parakeetman

Cheers, will definitely check that out. I've been playing with the AI to get the outfits from them but it's interesting just how much it actually does change the way they behave. For whatever reason I thought "Sword Skill" on the graphs didn't count towards getting the costumes, but it seems like it actually does since I just got the Buff one with max Buff Sword Skills and Stun.

And that's my last for tonight, it is way too late and I am way too tired haha.

glad to see you are enjoying the game though!

Stuart444

1. Hollow Area: for story quests. Floor Clearing (aka floors 76+), I don't believe so but you wouldn't need markers anyway. It's pretty easy to find where to go and there isn't an infinite amount of paths. (compared to Hollow Area which is much more confusing and spacious)

2. Battling is a good 70% of the game, the rest is Dialogue/VN stuff, character events, etc. (percentage pulled from my arse but battling is a big part of the game and the part you'll be doing most of throughout the game)

3. Yes though if you're a completionist, you may want to use a trophy guide but even with that, I don't think you need a FAQ or anything.

Defuser

How does Sugaha end up in SAO from ALO?
She also still retains her ALO avatar (elven ears).

A malfunction glitch happen when Kirito and Healthcliff clash causing ALO and SAO to merge which is why Suguha ended up in SAO and why Kirito have to finish 25 more levels hence Infinity moment/Hollow Fragment storyline.

How does Sugaha end up in SAO from ALO?
She also still retains her ALO avatar (elven ears).

Oh my god you just made me realize a possible plothole! Suguha might be the only player who could safely leave SAO o.o I haven't played the game far enough to get any answers so anything I say here is purely speculation.

Since Suguha is in her ALO form, whatever happened to the internet bumped her from ALO to SAO, so far so good, but! if she was playing ALO she must be using the new non-dangerous Nerve Gear Version 2 so unlike the other players anyone could just externally disconnect her without anything happening :eek:

Parakeetman

Done. That was an interesting amount of embedding quotes lol.

lol nice thanks Stuart!

I digged back quite a bit and found this exchange I had which I think encapsulates a lot of what is being asked around here. This may be helpful, I see a lot of folks asking the same thing here, so hopefully this can shed some light

very good stuff there am sure will help out lots of folks thanks!

khaaan

How much of the game focuses on pandering versus combat/questing? I don't mind it occasionally but if the bullet point would be "Waifus" instead of "Build relationships" then the game might not be for me.

Parakeetman

How much of the game focuses on pandering versus combat/questing? I don't mind it occasionally but if the bullet point would be "Waifus" instead of "Build relationships" then the game might not be for me.

kill things, lots and lots and lots and lots of things. all while looking for treasure.

the waifu shit isnt that important. its all optional anyways. there may be some stuff in the story itself, but having to "talk" with the female characters and do the bed conversation stuff is purely optional fanservice.

ramyeon

ramyeon or someone else, whats the best way to level up relationships?
Talk until their mood reaches 5, bridal carry to the bedroom, pillow talk > rinse and repeat. That's the only way I know of. It's tedious and takes quite awhile though.

Parakeetman

I spent just a ton of time fighting out in the field with a specific character. Not nearly as fast, but at the same time too dont feel like am wasting time in town lol.

not going after trophies too so there is that also.

Stuart444

Talk to them when their orange text box shows up. Doing it at the fountain is supposed to work well.

At Rank 3 (at least I did this at Rank 3 - 4), take the girl to your bed, sit on your bed (one of the four main buttons does it, maybe square or circle, I forget and my game isn't on atm) and you'll get one practically every 5 seconds.

If unsure of an answer, just hit R. Raised Asuna (the only one I raised in the JP version) to rank 5 within an hour... might have been half an hour, I forget but it was no longer than an hour from rank 3 lol

Done. That was an interesting amount of embedding quotes lol.

edit: That costume looks cute on Asuna above ^

Thanks Stuart, hopefully it helps everyone here. Can't stress it enough guys, some of the questions that you have are answered in the first post, and amongst those answers you will see a link to Stuarts guide that has some of my AI talks in there. If anyone has a question about it or even how it relates to skills and such you are more than welcome to ask since I did quite a bit of "studying" as I played for the almost 90hrs that I have on it. But of course, before you ask, DO CHECK THE OT AND THE LINK. I feel like everything that's important is already there.

Defuser

Bascially all the 'pandering' girl questing takes place in town so it's optional so you can spent much time as you want outside in Aincrad or Hollow area and blaze through if you want.

Stuart444

Uh if we go with that theory then it would totally change a lot of stuff for them, because now they have an external contact to the outside world.

Maybe but the guys on the outside might be worried about trying to disconnect her externally if they have found out she's in SAO? Even if it's using the new Amusphere, it could be a worry due to all the worry over it 2 years prior.

Firestar

How does inventory space work? I'm trying to turn in a quest but it keeps saying my inventory is full. I just sold a bunch of stuff and it's still full so I have no idea whats going on

How does inventory space work? I'm trying to turn in a quest but it keeps saying my inventory is full. I just sold a bunch of stuff and it's still full so I have no idea whats going on

You are probably holding 10 potions of something which is the limit for those specific ones individually like health, DEX, etc lmao. If you look at the potions and see a number in red it means that you can't hold more than that.

darkwing

if the quest gives you stuff like SP Hi Potion, check your inventory, you can only have like max 10 potions so if the quest is going to give you 8, be sure you have 1 or 0 in your inv

Uh if we go with that theory then it would totally change a lot of stuff for them, because now they have an external contact to the outside world.

Well only theoretically, I mean even if what could she do in the outside world to help them?

Maybe but the guys on the outside might be worried about trying to disconnect her externally if they have found out she's in SAO? Even if it's using the new Amusphere, it could be a worry due to all the worry over it 2 years prior.

Ah right Amusphere was the name I forgot :eek: Hmm that's certainly good thinking, we can't be sure Kayaba hasn't got a secondary system that prevents it in another way though from what I remember the whole thing just works because the Nerve Gear has microwave emitters which the Amusphere was specifically stated on not having so this could be interesting.

What can anyone in the outside world do to help them anyway though?

I'm with you here as said above, I can't think of anything practical Suguha could actually do to help :/

Firestar

You are probably holding 10 potions of something which is the limit for those specific ones individually like health, DEX, etc lmao. If you look at the potions and see a number in red it means that you can't hold more than that.

Yeah, I got rid of something I had 10 potions of, but I don't seem to have max of anything else and it's still doing it. I assume red text means that's the max I'm allowed and the only item thats red is an engagement ring. I'm going to assume this quest is not trying to give me one :p

Actually, I found 10 potions in Asuna's inventory. Didn't think they'd give it to her but maybe that's it. Now to just find out how to get rid of stuff from her inventory..

matmanx1

Couple of questions for those of you who are farther along:

1. How do I "reset parameters" on my partners? Someone mentioned doing that on Strea before trying to unlock her ATK BUFF and DEF costumes.

2. How do I start multiplayer mode so that I can grind some levels on all of the heroines? And is multiplayer mode only in the Hollow Area or can you do that in Aincrad?

Really enjoying the game so far. It's even deeper and more fleshed out that I hoped it would be. I purposely did not bring my Vita to work today so that I wouldn't be tempted to play on my lunch break and then get completely sucked in. It's that kind of game, AFAIK.

Top Bottom