• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Mendax

I think you may be misunderstanding (either that, or I am). When you focus on one stat (DEF, ATK, RECOVER(INTERFERE?)) you are merely doing that by praising them when they do an action you are focusing on.

This is my current view of Strea's info -

Right now with Strea I am working on her DEF outfit. So I tell her to Guard or Target and then when I see "DEF Action" pop up (right above her level and name) I press up on the D-pad to praise her. Doing that every time I can increases the DEF graph. Towards Cover when I tell her to Guard and praise her when she does, towards Threat when I tell her to Target and praise her when she does, etc.

Where I think you are confused (or again, perhaps I am) is the word "stats". Her actual defense stats aren't changing. She isn't getting more Defense and less Attack based on this, she is only developing her AI Stats. She will USE more Defense skills/moves as her grid grows in that direction. She herself is no stronger or weaker. Those stats come from levels.

ahhh ok so those images in the bottom left corner only reflect her skill use ratios and are tied to specific groups/categories of skills. Thats not too bad then indeed, thanks :)

edit: damn that player info screen image of her is cuute

Nooo! I just went through the Lizardmen Cave and my Vita's battery went low, since I have no idea where my wall-charger is for about half a year now I have to stop playing till it's fully charged over USB again D:

Mendax

Nooo! I just went through the Lizardmen Cave and my Vita's battery went low, since I have no idea where my wall-charger is for about half a year now I have to stop playing till it's fully charged over USB again D:

you cant play and charge at the same time over USB? or you dont want to sit close to the computer? :p

you cant play and charge at the same time over USB? or you dont want to sit close to the computer? :p

I sit most of the time in my comfy chair while playing at home unless friends are over so a USB ports are plenty around :p But since the Vita draws as much power as a USB port can deliver charging with the Vita being on results either in a veeeery slow charge or a +-0 charge :(

darkwing

I sit most of the time in my comfy chair while playing at home unless friends are over so a USB ports are plenty around :p But since the Vita draws as much power as a USB port can deliver charging with the Vita being on results either in a veeeery slow charge or a +-0 charge :(

hence I bought an external battery charger , 10000mah

A buddy of mine who did the review also made a fairly comprehensive guide to unlocking costumes/nurturing AI heroines, complete with graphs and pictures to help understand it a bit better, if the OP wants to add it to the OT.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment Unlocking Heroine Costumes and AI Control Guide

Whoa thanks for that! :)

hence I bought an external battery charger , 10000mah

Hmm that does sound nice :eek: Would you have a link?

ramyeon

Any pointers on raising BUF at all? Using Stop Skill or Heal often times doesn't work out, I imagine the latter is due to full hp and former is that her stun is on CD?
Huh? I've never had Stop Skill fail, it's 100% reliable for me. Sounds like cool down. A tip, for cool down of those skills (L+D-Pad) I always just run to the next screen and they'll work again right away, then I run back and forth between those screens spamming those skills. I always do that and ask them to perform sword skills and praise those. Heal is way too hard to do, since you need to have lost significant amounts of health before they'll do it.
A buddy of mine who did the review also made a fairly comprehensive guide to unlocking costumes/nurturing AI heroines, complete with graphs and pictures to help understand it a bit better, if the OP wants to add it to the OT.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment Unlocking Heroine Costumes and AI Control Guide
This is good except I don't even recommend choose battle tactics from the "battle talk" menu, not for grinding the costumes. It actually works counter intuitively in my experience. I don't know, maybe it works for some people but it seemed to solely allow me to raise one parameter at a time when I prefer to do two at once.

The way he's worded it in the guide is that you can only praise an action after selecting it from battle talk, this is wrong. Having no strategy selected in battle talk means everything is praise-able. Selecting something limits you to praising ONLY that action. Icons above their name will ONLY appear for that type of action as well, as opposed to appearing for everything.

Also Switch can be praised when the partner doesn't follow up with a combo, as long as your timing on praise is good. And coop is following their orders in battle, doing skill combos and doing skills at the same time together etc.

And finally on resetting the graphs. You need to be at relationship level 5 (max) for the option to randomly come up in Battle Talk. The line is different for each girl, but the answer is always that she has gone "Off Track". The graphs will all go back to her default right away (Not empty, just how she was at the start).

Doombear

Huh? I've never had Stop Skill fail, it's 100% reliable for me. Sounds like cool down. A tip, for cool down of those skills (L+D-Pad) I always just run to the next screen and they'll work again right away, then I run back and forth between those screens spamming those skills. I always do that and ask them to perform sword skills and praise those. Heal is way too hard to do, since you need to have lost significant amounts of health before they'll do it.

Was just coming to ask for BUF tips. I think this is exactly what I needed to know regarding resetting the Stop Skill counter. Heal... sucks, because Strea has no healing skills and I don't want her using items (she did use an Antidote on me one time). BUF is going far more slowly but this should help.

ramyeon

Was just coming to ask for BUF tips. I think this is exactly what I needed to know regarding resetting the Stop Skill counter. Heal... sucks, because Strea has no healing skills and I don't want her using items (she did use an Antidote on me one time). BUF is going far more slowly but this should help.
Yeah don't bother with heal for the costumes. Strea has a bunch of great Buff Sword Skills that she used a lot when I was unlocking hers so go into a fight, tell her to Stop Skill and praise that then tell her to do a Skill and praise it if it's Buff. Then go to the next screen and do the same, go back and rinse and repeat.

dragn

just did rapier to 1000 with lvl 130 boars , they do no dmg and i just autoattack with atk speed buffs, now scimitar -.-

ramyeon

just did rapier to 1000 with lvl 130 boars , they do no dmg and i just autoattack with atk speed buffs, now scimitar -.-
I can imagine that takes a very long time. I've been auto attacks monsters in the first area while I grind outfits for the partners for ages and I'm only up to 800 and something on Dual Wielding (And I'm pretty sure that started pretty high anyway!)

Giolon

This is good except I don't even recommend choose battle tactics from the "battle talk" menu, not for grinding the costumes. It actually works counter intuitively in my experience. I don't know, maybe it works for some people but it seemed to solely allow me to raise one parameter at a time when I prefer to do two at once.

The way he's worded it in the guide is that you can only praise an action after selecting it from battle talk, this is wrong. Having no strategy selected in battle talk means everything is praise-able. Selecting something limits you to praising ONLY that action. Icons above their name will ONLY appear for that type of action as well, as opposed to appearing for everything.

Also Switch can be praised when the partner doesn't follow up with a combo, as long as your timing on praise is good. And coop is following their orders in battle, doing skill combos and doing skills at the same time together etc.

And finally on resetting the graphs. You need to be at relationship level 5 (max) for the option to randomly come up in Battle Talk. The line is different for each girl, but the answer is always that she has gone "Off Track". The graphs will all go back to her default right away (Not empty, just how she was at the start).

Do you know how to get them to go back to being a "generalist" as their tactic vs focusing on a specialty? Is it just one of the random options in Battle Talk? If, so which one? The Engrish is so bad in that section that I literally cannot tell what I'm asking them to do 90% of the time.

Also, since you seem to be a pro at this, can you speak to the correct timing for praising "Switch"? Can you praise Switch after the partner requests a Switch, or only after you ask them to Switch and they do so?

Similarly, what is the correct timing for praising a combo attack? Most of the time I end up with them just saying "?" when I try to praise them for those.

ramyeon

Do you know how to get them to go back to being a "generalist" as their tactic vs focusing on a specialty? Is it just one of the random options in Battle Talk? If, so which one? The Engrish is so bad in that section that I literally cannot tell what I'm asking them to do 90% of the time.

Also, since you seem to be a pro at this, can you speak to the correct timing for praising "Switch"? Can you praise Switch after the partner requests a Switch, or only after you ask them to Switch and they do so?

Similarly, what is the correct timing for praising a combo attack? Most of the time I end up with them just saying "?" when I try to praise them for those.
I'm not sure on that, those battle tactics annoy me since they're so Engrishy that some of them are really obtuse. If you reset their graphs it counts as a strategy though so that's the only way I know of, there is probably another way though.

Switching should be praised after you jump back to let her in, just before your feet hit the ground I've found. But you have to make sure you have the aggro of the enemy before initiating the switch.

Do you mean combos as in when they ask to do a skill together? You don't need to praise those if so.

----

Trying to get Leafa's Buff costume and she refuses to do sword skills other than Horizontal Square (ATK) 90% of the time... oh man lol.

ramyeon

Sat down this morning and got all Leafa's costumes. Def and Atk were really quick to get but Buff was a right pain in the ass. Funnily enough she used more Buff sword skills while I was trying to get Atk and vice versa :/
2014-08-23-105515khj8c.jpg

Def

2014-08-23-120222chjui.jpg

Buff

2014-08-23-122430eajac.jpg

Atk

2014-08-23-1225110tkap.jpg

Additional
Now I just need to grind Lisbeth to max friendship and do hers. Then everyone's done except Philia!

ramyeon

I'm done! I can't believe it haha. Finally I have all the heroines at max level affinity and all of their stat costumes
except Philia of course
. Ended with Lisbeth and she was super cooperative. I don't know if it was just luck or that I'm so good at giving praise for the right things now haha. Atk was took awhile since it started off so unbalanced against Atk but Def and Buff were both really quick and easy :) I really like her Def costume. In fact generally I think the Def ones are all the best for their respective characters.
2014-08-23-1734409skji.jpg

Atk

2014-08-23-173530igk6e.jpg

Def

2014-08-23-173619c0j07.jpg

Buff

2014-08-23-1737206ojd7.jpg

Additional
Now I can finally go and beat the first boss after 30 hours and 47 minutes of gameplay time :D!

Phlebas

Banned
Ok so I finally got my 32 Gb card in the mail, how can I transfer the save onto the new card? If possible at all.

I'd prefer not to start over again.

ramyeon

Ended up not going to fight the floor 76 boss, went to the Hollow Area instead. Fought a few NMs and did a Hollow Quest to fight that Golem on the way to retrieve the ores for Philia. The Hollow Area seems so fucking vast and confusing. The maps are really useless, I'm pretty sure these were made much better in the patch right?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4niR_k6us&list=UUI-WAECDVs61F7USiQZnJDg

Video describing changes in the 1.03 patch. I watched this ages ago before I had the game but watching it now makes me want these changes. Hollow Maps make sense, you don't lose sets of armour or weapons you give your partners if you change them. You can check the stats of the weapons and armour they currently have equipped!! So good. Also confirms that the stat related outfits do have stats to them. So the Atk outfit will give you stat bonuses towards attack etc.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ended up not going to fight the floor 76 boss, went to the Hollow Area instead. Fought a few NMs and did a Hollow Quest to fight that Golem on the way to retrieve the ores for Philia. The Hollow Area seems so fucking vast and confusing. The maps are really useless, I'm pretty sure these were made much better in the patch right?

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4niR_k6us&list=UUI-WAECDVs61F7USiQZnJDg

Video describing changes in the 1.03 patch. I watched this ages ago before I had the game but watching it now makes me want these changes. Hollow Maps make sense, you don't lose sets of armour or weapons you give your partners if you change them. You can check the stats of the weapons and armour they currently have equipped!! So good. Also confirms that the stat related outfits do have stats to them. So the Atk outfit will give you stat bonuses towards attack etc.

I told you people that the specific armors do have stats related to them earlier lol.

Parakeetman

I remember it being mentioned but with uncertainty. But it's hard to read every post in such a big thread anyway, and there's no way to tell in-game pre-1.03.

hmmm i really have to turn my game back on and look at the stats window.

ramyeon

hmmm i really have to turn my game back on and look at the stats window.
Tbh I'm shocked that it is something they had to patch in, should have been there from the get go. I haven't even touched my partners' equipment because I have no way of knowing what they have on them :/

Parakeetman

Tbh I'm shocked that it is something they had to patch in, should have been there from the get go. I haven't even touched my partners' equipment because I have no way of knowing what they have on them :/

For the most part anything is better than their starting equipment.

My guess is that since the PSP version didnt have anything for the menu that they were trying to get it into the original launch, but ran out of time therefore having to include various things in the massive update.

It happens at times with budget and time reasons. Plus the types of schedules that goes on with getting ones game submitted with Sony and such. Thankfully the game is perfectly serviceable without it. Generally the AI wont take something that is worse than what they have with weapons I do believe. Armor and such I didnt bother changing my partners armor all that much, since put more emphasis on their levels first. That and rarely had them standing in the front of a target anyways.

Though at least with the patch you will get stuff back which is nice.

Whoa I must say I normally don't bother with the digital manuals of Vita games but I have to say SAO's does atleast give you a good starting point :eek: I knew everything from this thread already but it might be good to give it a quick read through either way!

ramyeon

For the most part anything is better than their starting equipment.

My guess is that since the PSP version didnt have anything for the menu that they were trying to get it into the original launch, but ran out of time therefore having to include various things in the massive update.

It happens at times with budget and time reasons. Plus the types of schedules that goes on with getting ones game submitted with Sony and such. Thankfully the game is perfectly serviceable without it. Generally the AI wont take something that is worse than what they have with weapons I do believe. Armor and such I didnt bother changing my partners armor all that much, since put more emphasis on their levels first. That and rarely had them standing in the front of a target anyways.

Though at least with the patch you will get stuff back which is nice.
True, I guess you can't get much worse than starting equipment lol. Still, I haven't found any swords better than Kirito's starting ones yet :/ and the only armour I've replaced of his is the legs. Hollow Area is best for finding loot right? What's the best way to go about it?
Whoa I must say I normally don't bother with the digital manuals of Vita games but I have to say SAO's does atleast give you a good starting point :eek: I knew everything from this thread already but it might be good to give it a quick read through either way!
The manual is great, it's really in depth and really well done for a digital menu.
And so colourful!
Reminds me of N64 manuals for some reason.

Parakeetman

True, I guess you can't get much worse than starting equipment lol. Still, I haven't found any swords better than Kirito's starting ones yet :/ and the only armour I've replaced of his is the legs. Hollow Area is best for finding loot right? What's the best way to go about it?

The manual is great, it's really in depth and really well done for a digital menu.
And so colourful!

Truthfully go out and kill things. As I literally do not remember where what is what and such. Just keep wandering around and kill whatever you can or attempt to that is guarding a chest. Even in the first area there are some pretty high level enemies if you wander deep enough into it. But would suggest taking a teleport crystal for those of you who are not too familiar with remembering how to get back. As you can get killed on the way back if the weaker enemies gang up on you as they can hit pretty hard in those areas. Plus have poison or bleed effects that are quite painful when you are dealing with getting hit too lol.

But lots of good weapons to be found, got all of my good gear from the Hollow Area as it pretty much outclasses the Aincrad stuff by far.

Also if you are brave enough / lucky in that "endless" dungeon which can be accessed from the hollow terminal? I think you can find some good stuff if you go deep enough. The earlier floors of the place is mostly potions. They kinda re-balanced it after patches am not sure what patch the US version uses, but might be the one after they made it so slightly less loot, but the exp is still good and you can get a decent stock of potions from there. Which I usually wind up selling since most like 10 is the max we can hold total I think?

ramyeon

Truthfully go out and kill things. As I literally do not remember where what is what and such.

But lots of good weapons to be found, got all of my good gear from the Hollow Area as it pretty much outclasses the Aincrad stuff by far.
Haha yeah, I've been exploring bits and pieces but unfortunately haven't really found anything noteworthy. Itching to upgrade my gear but nothing has come that's an upgrade D:

Parakeetman

Haha yeah, I've been exploring bits and pieces but unfortunately haven't really found anything noteworthy. Itching to upgrade my gear but nothing has come that's an upgrade D:

Armor pieces seem to be more rare, but do exist. Ive found some interesting stuff from the endless dungeon I mentioned. Also if you progress the aincrad story more the stores will carry some useful armor pieces.

And so colourful!

Now that you say it a little N64 vibe is there for me too o.o And yeah I just flicked through it and they do explain everything though there's one bad thing the manual suggests, spamming Good! to recover SP :p

Parakeetman

Now that you say it a little N64 vibe is there for me too o.o And yeah I just flicked through it and they do explain everything though there's one bad thing the manual suggests, spamming Good! to recover SP :p

For early players its pretty much the only thing you can do, where later on you will have skills and more inventory that will allow you to not have to rely on it as much.

Also with the hollow area try to hit up chests multiple times when you run circuits of loot routes. As mentioned a while back weapons do have slightly different stats. Then just sell off all the other ones you dont need. Got a pretty good 2HS for Strea from the Hollow Area. Though might have been from the 2nd area. Cant remember exactly.

Im curious if the particular legs I found in that "endless" dungeon is part of a full set that can be found within it .

For early players its pretty much the only thing you can do, where later on you will have skills and more inventory that will allow you to not have to rely on it as much.

Also with the hollow area try to hit up chests multiple times when you run circuits of loot routes. As mentioned a while back weapons do have slightly different stats. Then just sell off all the other ones you dont need. Got a pretty good 2HS for Strea from the Hollow Area. Though might have been from the 2nd area. Cant remember exactly.

Ah okay I see that makes sense then. There were quite a few times where I ran out of SP already but I carried on with auto-attacks, burst attacks and switching till my partner either did something I really want to praise or the SP restored naturally but then again I haven't fought a real boss yet. Heck for the
Lizardman mini-boss
I was busy fighting all the adds and when I turned around I see how Asuna just defeated the boss all on her own already :eek:

And whoa wait so chests reset and can be looted multiple times?

Parakeetman

Ah okay I see that makes sense then. There were quite a few times where I ran out of SP already but I carried on with auto-attacks, burst attacks and switching till my partner either did something I really want to praise or the SP restored naturally but then again I haven't fought a real boss yet. Heck for the
Lizardman mini-boss
I was busy fighting all the adds and when I turned around I see how Asuna just defeated the boss all on her own already :eek:

And whoa wait so chests reset and can be looted multiple times?

In the hollow area yes. Chests come back after X amount of real world time. No idea what the time limit is, though generally if you run circuits through the zone sometimes they will be ready to be looted again.

As mentioned before Aincrad is a pushover compared to the kind of bullshit you might run into in the hollow area lol. It really is night and day once you get into it. Which makes it so great. Aincrad is for the story, the hollow area is for the gameplay.

In real boss fights SP management will be a must as thats how you keep your target under control, once that stops and its their "turn" thats when things can go bad quickly lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I thought the only chests that come back are those that are locked away by a NM or whatever monster. I just leave the map and go back in to farm the chests, though I've only tried for 1 chest in particular because of the enemy.

Parakeetman

I thought the only chests that come back are those that are locked away by a NM or whatever monster. I just leave the map and go back in to farm the chests, though I've only tried for 1 chest in particular because of the enemy.

That is exactly what Im talking about.

In the hollow area yes. Chests come back after X amount of real world time. No idea what the time limit is, though generally if you run circuits through the zone sometimes they will be ready to be looted again.

As mentioned before Aincrad is a pushover compared to the kind of bullshit you might run into in the hollow area lol. It really is night and day once you get into it. Which makes it so great. Aincrad is for the story, the hollow area is for the gameplay.

In real boss fights SP management will be a must as thats how you keep your target under control, once that stops and its their "turn" thats when things can go bad quickly lol

Ah okay that's interesting and good to know thanks! :) And oh dear yeah that split between Aincrad and the Hollow Area... I noticed it myself already :p When I was farming Bell Ores for Philia I came across a locked room that suddenly unlocked a saw a
giant skeleton and a giant golem
inside thinking "Meh the mobs around here were quite weak so these can't be too hard either" 20 seconds later I noticed 99% of my attacks went MISS and Sinon was already dead. I quickly revived her and ran off as fast as I could, that taught me a good lesson to not underestimate the Hollow Area! :D

So I can imagine these real boss fights take even more intelligent fighting and I look forward to mastering that :)

Parakeetman

You said time though; I just go in and out the map...

Usually when I wander around in the area its for long periods of time, which is why things take time to pop in and out. Ok so it does in fact work 100% with chests being re-locked and ready to go when you fully exit the area then?

Since when I had first played its what I thought would work but recall the chest still being opened, which is why had just spent time within the area gathering a bunch of different things first "zoning" to save of course and then would exit. Upon re-entering after long periods of time everything seemed to be fine.

The example of it was still open was going out and in after just a single section. This is with the original JP version now mind you. Though its been a while and if indeed all folks need to do is leave the Hollow Area and be back to the terminal then enter again perfect! Problem solved!

Parakeetman

Ah okay that's interesting and good to know thanks! :) And oh dear yeah that split between Aincrad and the Hollow Area... I noticed it myself already :p When I was farming Bell Ores for Philia I came across a locked room that suddenly unlocked a saw a
giant skeleton and a giant golem
inside thinking "Meh the mobs around here were quite weak so these can't be too hard either" 20 seconds later I noticed 99% of my attacks went MISS and Sinon was already dead. I quickly revived her and ran off as fast as I could, that taught me a good lesson to not underestimate the Hollow Area! :D

So I can imagine these real boss fights take even more intelligent fighting and I look forward to mastering that :)

Generally its why its always a good idea to look at enemies you may be unfamiliar with in a new area with the triangle button. As while something may look the same, the level diff could be huge. The
golems are a pain in the ass due to their spinning attack which does a huge amount of damage if all hits land on you, the punch or was it a smash they do also you cant parry it therefore dodging is your only option. Its resistant to piercing so dont try to use a rapier on it unless you like long drawn out fights lol

Fights with stuff higher level than you basically requires the PFT Style buff to stand a chance at winning.

And even that runs out, which means you really need to pick and choose what you do carefully during said period and when you want to activate the skill. So its not as if it will always be your key to victory, but it is a large part of the strategy.

Top Bottom