• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

matmanx1

This is making me rage right now. I do not understand how Strea has not had her armor unlock. Looking at that graph compared to my GIANT RED DIAMOND is insulting, lol!

Edit:With that said, with the AI as perfected as it is she is a god damned beast. I could sit back and just heal and she would eat a boss alive.

Yeah Strea is a monster. I definitely like her the best for an "in the field partner" in terms of sheer killing power. In my heart, however, she will never exceed Asuna!

Listonosh

Oh crap then I really wasted my time then. I panic closed the game (swiped away page) when I realized the afk grind I left my party on had resulted in 2 of the 3 girls dead. I thought I'd get my progress back up to the last stage transition and BAM, nothing.

If companions die in Multiplayer is it perma?

Edit: Thanks for the info Parakeetman and Listonosh

Nope, they don't die perma. You'll just respawn in control room. Also, if a companion dies and you manage to survive the attack, you can also revive them on the spot by giving them half of your HP, and then just heal up.

Ohnonono

Yeah Strea is a monster. I definitely like her the best for an "in the field partner" in terms of sheer killing power. In my heart, however, she will never exceed Asuna!

I totally intend to move on to Asuna and Sinon after Strea I just ended up with her first. Hopefully this is a case of me needing to just give one of those stats a TINY nudge to unlock the attack costume and then it will act normal from there.

ramyeon

I totally intend to move on to Asuna and Sinon after Strea I just ended up with her first. Hopefully this is a case of me needing to just give one of those stats a TINY nudge to unlock the attack costume and then it will act normal from there.
I hope you either got her other outfits already or don't plan to get them cause you'll have to reset your stats to do it :/

Ohnonono

I hope you either got her other outfits already or don't plan to get them cause you'll have to reset your stats to do it :/

I don't mind the reset as long as I get the costume. I assumed I would have to in order to get the others, I just picked attack as the first one. I can always train her back up, I am just baffled as to why her attack armor is not already unlocked.

ramyeon

I don't mind the reset as long as I get the costume. I assumed I would have to in order to get the others, I just picked attack as the first one. I can always train her back up, I am just baffled as to why her attack armor is not already unlocked.
Ah I see, just as a side note though, you'll probably wanna unlock the costume related to the stats you wanna keep last, that way you don't have to build those up twice D: I made that mistake with Sinon and it's a pain haha.

matmanx1

Am I right in thinking that you have to have the relationship meter at a certain level with a girl before you can tell them to change their outfit?

Ohnonono

Ah I see, just as a side note though, you'll probably wanna unlock the costume related to the stats you wanna keep last, that way you don't have to build those up twice D: I made that mistake with Sinon and it's a pain haha.

After what I have been through, I ain't scared of any training, lol. Just worried that my game is bugged. I have not cleared a single boss and Strea is level 100.

ramyeon

After what I have been through, I ain't scared of any training, lol. Just worried that my game is bugged. I have not cleared a single boss and Strea is level 100.
I doubt it's bugged. Haha I haven't beaten the first boss either. At around 20 hours now...lol.

FDC1

lol, reading the last pages, I'm not sure anymore if this game is a RPG or a "dress your waifu" game. So everyone has begun by that? Is there a reason? I will receive my blu-rays tomorrow and quickly watch the first arc so I can begin to play, can't wait.

Ohnonono

lol, reading the last pages, I'm not sure anymore if this game is a RPG or a "dress your waifu" game. So everyone has begun by that? Is there a reason? I will receive my blu-rays tomorrow and quickly watch the first arc so I can begin to play, can't wait.

I just wanted to mess with and understand the system before I start digging into the actual game. Turns out its addictive as hell. The combat is still the best part of the game and I am very excited for fighting hard battles and stuff. When you get waifued you get waifued though. You could ignore it if you wanted.

ramyeon

If there was a trophy for BEE KILLER I am sure we would both have it.
Haha no doubt, I have to keep selling their drops because I run out of space for them.
I started with that because it's the least interesting part tbh. The dating stuff is super boring so I wanna get it over and done with. Combat is much better.

Kane1345

I'm in this place in the hollow called the deserted weapon testing field. There's a room with 3 mini bosses: a slime, a robot construct called a valley king and a knight. The slime is easy but the other two won't let me do any damage to them, is there a trick to this?

Mbrill82

Ok this is my first post in this thread but I've been reading it daily since it started. This thread is what made introduced me to the SAO game and anime in the first place. In the weeks leading up to the NA release I watched the anime on Netflix and my frothing demand for this game grew exponentially!

Firstly, the Engrish. Not a deal breaker, doesn't bother me too terribly much. It would've been nice if it had been given a more thorough translation and it certainly is worthy of more care and attention but I can deal with it.

Man this game is so obtuse! In a way it's great though, not too much hand-holding and tutorials. I have been and still am confused by some of the systems and mechanics but I feel that if I keep plugging away all will become clear. Not to mention the lovely folks in this community for providing a lot of info for us new players.

I've never played a proper MMO before but as a 32y/o life-long gamer I'm not completely unfamiliar with how they work, and in general I'm finding it pretty easy to pick up on. Anyone who thinks this game sounds even mildly interesting I would advise you to pick it up, it will most likely suck you in, and there's just so much to do. Definitely worth the $39.99. Hopefully it sells well, it seems to be. I would love a sequel made for the Vita from the ground up.

Protag

Banned
Man, choosing between this and Xillia 2 was hard, but i know this is worth it. Looking very much foward to playing, really enjoyed Eps 1-14

Einbroch

Banned
Ugh, this is why I never buy digital retail games. I'm just not feeling it. Combat is pretty shallow, levels take forever to get, and the story is laughably bad. I play for two hours and feel like I didn't accomplish anything. Throw in that the Engrish is so completely broken on certain things (dating is just jamming R hoping something sticks), and I regret this purchase.

Lesson learned, sticking to renting. Oh well, at least I supported localization of niche games, even if they didn't do a good job.

ramyeon

Ugh, this is why I never buy digital retail games. I'm just not feeling it. Combat is pretty shallow, levels take forever to get, and the story is laughably bad. Throw in that the Engrish is so completely broken on certain things (dating is just jamming R hoping something sticks), and I regret this purchase.

Lesson learned, sticking to renting. Oh well, at least I supported localization of niche games, even if they didn't do a good job.
Combat is bad? Levels take forever to get? Something tells me you're writing the combat system and level/skill system off without really understanding it. The other criticisms are valid though.

Ohnonono

Do I get skill points from leveling or from leveling up the different weapon types? Asking because if I am out grinding shit monsters am I better off using a weapon type I am not as interested in because I will pick up extra skill points faster?

Einbroch

Banned
Combat is bad? Levels take forever to get? Something tells me you're writing the combat system and level/skill system off without really understanding it. The other criticisms are valid though.

I don't know what there is to get. I've watched videos, and it's all about Burst/agro management, dodging attacks/parrying when you can, and using your skills when you have an opening because auto attacks do nothing. It doesn't seem that complex.

I played for two hours last night, straight, and the only thing I accomplished was opening a few treasure chests with crafting mats and my follower gaining one level.

Ok this is my first post in this thread but I've been reading it daily since it started. This thread is what made introduced me to the SAO game and anime in the first place. In the weeks leading up to the NA release I watched the anime on Netflix and my frothing demand for this game grew exponentially!

Firstly, the Engrish. Not a deal breaker, doesn't bother me too terribly much. It would've been nice if it had been given a more thorough translation and it certainly is worthy of more care and attention but I can deal with it.

Man this game is so obtuse! In a way it's great though, not too much hand-holding and tutorials. I have been and still am confused by some of the systems and mechanics but I feel that if I keep plugging away all will become clear. Not to mention the lovely folks in this community for providing a lot of info for us new players.

I've never played a proper MMO before but as a 32y/o life-long gamer I'm not completely unfamiliar with how they work, and in general I'm finding it pretty easy to pick up on. Anyone who thinks this game sounds even mildly interesting I would advise you to pick it up, it will most likely suck you in, and there's just so much to do. Definitely worth the $39.99. Hopefully it sells well, it seems to be. I would love a sequel made for the Vita from the ground up.

Was glad to read this. I sure did, and still do, have a lot of fun with this game, and as a long time SAO fan it's great to see some new blood coming into the series. If you need any help we are more than willing to offer it, browse through the content on the first page written by Parakeet, check out the guide with tips and tricks that Stuart wrote, also linked in the first post. I too have some tips for AI nurturing, Skill usage and stuff like that in there. We only give you the basics, but with that information one can experiment and take off from there. Enjoy the game and welcome to the community!

Mbrill82

Ugh, this is why I never buy digital retail games. I'm just not feeling it. Combat is pretty shallow, levels take forever to get, and the story is laughably bad. I play for two hours and feel like I didn't accomplish anything. Throw in that the Engrish is so completely broken on certain things (dating is just jamming R hoping something sticks), and I regret this purchase.

I feel that the combat is anything but shallow. Sure it seems like you can just spam attack and defeat enemies in the beginning but I don't think that is the case later on. There are just so many different skills and weapons to master it seems like the combat offers endless options. Hardly shallow.

The Engrish I'll give you, I know some are (understandably) very turned off by that. The dating is optional as far as I know but I could be wrong.

I feel like some folks were expecting Persona levels of interaction you know. That stuff is really just a little add-on to a massive gameplay heavy game, full of unlockable skills and attacks for you to play around with, and eventually overpower even enemies that are much higher level than you.

Einbroch

Banned
I feel that the combat is anything but shallow. Sure it seems like you can just spam attack and defeat enemies in the beginning but I don't think that is the case later on. There are just so many different skills and weapons to master it seems like the combat offers endless options. Hardly shallow.

The Engrish I'll give you, I know some are (understandably) very turned off by that. The dating is optional as far as I know but I could be wrong.

It's not a difficulty thing. I explored the Hollow area and took down level 140+ enemies super easily. You buff yourself with the "never miss" ability, just stand there, learn tells, dodge to a side when they do one of their attacks that nearly one shot you, then use a skill. It just takes forever. It's a slog.

If you like it, that's totally fine.

MSMrRound

I played for two hours last night, straight, and the only thing I accomplished was opening a few treasure chests with crafting mats and my follower gaining one level.

That makes you one of us. I don't think we accomplished much either till we figured out some of the better ways to grind/level/max affection/know where the good loots are as well.

I'm 50+ hours in. I just hit level 120 not long ago (since I wasn't that focused on leveling), and rather..more on exploring and completing the side quests and event stuff.

It takes time to experiment. If you are not feeling it right now, you can always come back some other time and attempt to go deeper into the gameplay by exploring the Hollow Fragment story arc and more.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The hidden underground area is really addictive, I could see a lower budget PSP game based on just that dungeon alone. Went in to level up weapon skill and before I knew it I gained 20 levels. Now I'm way too OP for where I'm at in the tower.

Should mean that it has some invincible frames I think.
I think you can still take damage, you just can't be knocked out of the skill mid-animation.

Mbrill82

Was glad to read this. I sure did, and still do, have a lot of fun with this game, and as a long time SAO fan it's great to see some new blood coming into the series. If you need any help we are more than willing to offer it, browse through the content on the first page written by Parakeet, check out the guide with tips and tricks that Stuart wrote, also linked in the first post. I too have some tips for AI nurturing, Skill usage and stuff like that in there. We only give you the basics, but with that information one can experiment and take off from there. Enjoy the game and welcome to the community!

Thanks! Yeah I've read a lot of the stuff you mentioned and it has been very helpful. I think that without it and this thread I may have felt too lost and overwhelmed to want to really dig into the game. I plan to participate more in this thread now that the weekend is almost here, my kids are going to their Grandma's house this weekend so I'm pretty pumped to have 2 whole days to play SAO! Today at work is crawling by, come on 5 o'clock!

Yukianesa

Neo Member
I'm in this place in the hollow called the deserted weapon testing field. There's a room with 3 mini bosses: a slime, a robot construct called a valley king and a knight. The slime is easy but the other two won't let me do any damage to them, is there a trick to this?

You need to use a different weapon for the other two NM bosses in that room. If I recall, it was slashing weapons for the slime, weapons for the robot golem, and piercing weapons for the knight.

Do I get skill points from leveling or from leveling up the different weapon types? Asking because if I am out grinding shit monsters am I better off using a weapon type I am not as interested in because I will pick up extra skill points faster?

You get skill points from weapon, shield, and evasion mastery. Every 10.0 mastery point will earn you 1 skill point. When the update in September arrives, you can earn skill points from slaughtering massive amounts of enemies, but the gains are so incredibly low it's not even worth grinding.

Level is not related to skill points.

Protag

Banned
It's not a difficulty thing. I explored the Hollow area and took down level 140+ enemies super easily. You buff yourself with the "never miss" ability, just stand there, learn tells, dodge to a side when they do one of their attacks that nearly one shot you, then use a skill. It just takes forever. It's a slog.

If you like it, that's totally fine.

And if you DONT like it, thats totally fine too.

Great stuff, yeah do take your time with it and it'll eventually click. That click for me was at the 6hr mark, that's when I felt I understood skills. Of course from there it was just constant learning. Heck at 90hrs I'm still learning stuff.

For example lately I've been experimenting with skill chaining, another very important skill to learn with heroine that requires not only good timing, but a well nurtured AI in order to get those commands done. I believe skill chaining only has a 1 second delay window, so if your skill animation doesn't end up to around 1 second after the heroines, or vice versa, it won't chain. There are 3 levels of chaining, if you keep on going it resets back to 1.

Chaining not only does more damage, it also staggers the enemy. This skill is very useful against high level bosses since you are pretty much just overwhelming the boss and not letting him move.

Listonosh

Not sure if this is spoiler territory so if it is, mark it as such. But does anyone know what the three spots are on the main menu that are ???. I assume one is NG+

Not sure if this is spoiler territory so if it is, mark it as such. But does anyone know what the three spots are on the main menu that are ???. I assume one is NG+

I think it was Stuart who shed some light on this. You unlock them after you finish the story, it is mainly a gallery of pictures and scenes, a last battle option to fight bosses and new game +.

Voror

Huh, I just realized I never saw a prompt to watch the story so far during the tutorial. When was that supposed to show up?

ramyeon

I don't know why I'm still awake and grinding Leafa's friendship level haha... it's so mundane but addictive.
Huh, I just realized I never saw a prompt to watch the story so far during the tutorial. When was that supposed to show up?
Once you leave the Hollow Area.

Listonosh

I think it was Stuart who shed some light on this. You unlock them after you finish the story, it is mainly a gallery of pictures and scenes, a last battle option to fight bosses and new game +.

Ah ok thanks!

Also, to improve relationship, can I just keep spamming the convo options, or do I have to at Rank 5 bridal carry them to my room in order for it to advance? I'd much rather sit there and spam R than having to go through that process each time.

ramyeon

Ah ok thanks!

Also, to improve relationship, can I just keep spamming the convo options, or do I have to at Rank 5 bridal carry them to my room in order for it to advance? I'd much rather sit there and spam R than having to go through that process each time.
The conversations do push it up but it would be much slower I imagine.

Ohnonono

Ah ok thanks!

I think you could but you get a lot of points for the bedroom stuff. I went through the cycle with Strea at least 6 times.

TUSR

Banned
Ah ok thanks!

I found out last night, that depends on their position in town their conversations will change. Right by the fountain Sinon and Asuna will max out their mood meter just by spamming R.

In other parts of town this isn't the case.

So you can pretty much throw a movie on or something and spam R.

ramyeon

Thanks! It's such a tedious process =/

Sidenote, loving this thread so far. I have a feeling I'd still be lost in this game if it wasn't for the lot of you.
Tell me about it haha, up to maxing my 5th character now :/
I found out last night, that depends on their position in town their conversations will change. Right by the fountain Sinon and Asuna will max out their mood meter just by spamming R.

In other parts of town this isn't the case.

So you can pretty much throw a movie on or something and spam R.
Yeah, fountain until you become "Intimate" and then you don't even need to leave the bedroom really. But you should keep doing the bridal carry and pillow talk to speed it up.

TUSR

Banned
Tell me about it haha, up to maxing my 5th character now :/

Yeah, fountain until you become "Intimate" and then you don't even need to leave the bedroom really. But you should keep doing the bridal carry and pillow talk to speed it up.
I ran into a problem with Sinon. Asuna kept walking into the Inn would I would bridal carry her and I had something like 5-7 fails.

ramyeon

I ran into a problem with Sinon. Asuna kept walking into the Inn would I would bridal carry her and I had something like 5-7 fails.
Asuna was always walking in when I did it with Sinon, never failed for me though. That's weird, it seems to be random whether they react or not.

MSMrRound

I always pump them up to mood level 5 in Kirito's room (if conversation doesn't appear, just to the customize book on the desk and exit again), before heading downstairs to bridal carry them up.

Had 0 fail rate with the female heroines so far. As soon as the scene change, I just talk to them and opt to carry before the other female heroines as much as crossed 1/8 of the floor of the inn.

What I would do is raise the Heroines level to 5 in the room, walk out and pick her up right on the stairs, no one will see it since usually it takes a few seconds for the characters to walk into the tavern. Then you carry her her inside your room, to the bed area and you are golden.

ramyeon

I always pump them up to mood level 5 in Kirito's room (if conversation doesn't appear, just to the customize book on the desk and exit again), before heading downstairs to bridal carry them up.

Had 0 fail rate with the female heroines so far. As soon as the scene change, I just talk to them and opt to carry before the other female heroines as much as crossed 1/8 of the floor of the inn.
Yeah, this is the same as me. Except some times they do oddly fail regardless. Silica was annoying as hell because I kept accidentally talking to Pina on the stairs too lol.

Ohnonono

What I would do is raise the Heroines level to 5 in the room, walk out and pick her up right on the stairs, no one will see it since usually it takes a few seconds for the characters to walk into the tavern. Then you carry her her inside your room, to the bed area and you are golden.

Yup, this.

Top Bottom