• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

MSMrRound

By the way, this is Strea's complete/additional armour for those of you who are wondering how it look like:

Bvp67SBCQAAAsZC.jpg

Listonosh

That is correct yes. And it has to be that particular version too, as an Asian copy owner I can't rate it.

That's pretty impressive. Especially considering games like One Piece UWR which released nearly a month ago only has 150 ratings, and I'd argue is a bigger IP here. Granted, a purchase doesn't constitute a guaranteed rating, but still, very impressive numbers for SAO nonetheless.

ramyeon

By the way, this is Strea's complete/additional armour for those of you who are wondering how it look like:

Bvp67SBCQAAAsZC.jpg
So, so bad.

Edit: Leafa's friendship maxed. That's all I can handle for today haha. Tomorrow I'll just need to get her outfits and then do Lisbeth's friendship level and outfits. Then I'll have them all and can maybe fight the first boss lol.

That's pretty impressive. Especially considering games like One Piece UWR which released nearly a month ago only has 150 ratings, and I'd argue is a bigger IP here. Granted, a purchase doesn't constitute a guaranteed rating, but still, very impressive numbers for SAO nonetheless.

Yup, funny how the game Bamco wasn't so sure about bringing over, and also the one they put the least effort in translating is the most successful one in ratings on the store (and I would also assume sales, since like it was said a purchase doesn't warrant a rating).

Stuart444

My SO just said Streas alt costume looks very close to Ivy from Soul Calibur. Which it does... it might not be exact but the pics I'm seeing on google makes it look very close.

Doombear

What I would do is raise the Heroines level to 5 in the room, walk out and pick her up right on the stairs, no one will see it since usually it takes a few seconds for the characters to walk into the tavern. Then you carry her her inside your room, to the bed area and you are golden.

Exactly what I did the few times Strea failed. No idea why. Even happened once just outside the inn (since I had read that some people carry her from right outside and then run in and run immediately to the room). I also assumed that for the others to 'see' you they have to be close enough to talk to you, which they never were. Again, oh well, not the hugest deal, just odd.

Ok, my question. I thought I understood the Battle Type and outfits. Strea is Rank 5 with me now, and I choose "Talk about battle" she says something cryptic, and I get her to focus on Defense. It then says in red "Her Battle Type has changed" but when I look at her character info it still says she her battle type is Damage Dealer, focusing on attacks.

So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to tell her to focus on DEF a few more times? As the battle convo is a bit odd, is the first option she gives you always "keep up what you are doing" and the second is "change to something else"? I agree with whoever it was that said that these battle convo options and translations are a bit... confusing. I want to work on her outfits because why not, but seem to be going nowhere.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Exactly what I did the few times Strea failed. No idea why. Even happened once just outside the inn (since I had read that some people carry her from right outside and then run in and run immediately to the room). I also assumed that for the others to 'see' you they have to be close enough to talk to you, which they never were. Again, oh well, not the hugest deal, just odd.

Ok, my question. I thought I understood the Battle Type and outfits. Strea is Rank 5 with me now, and I choose "Talk about battle" she says something cryptic, and I get her to focus on Defense. It then says in red "Her Battle Type has changed" but when I look at her character info it still says she her battle type is Damage Dealer, focusing on attacks.

So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to tell her to focus on DEF a few more times? As the battle convo is a bit odd, is the first option she gives you always "keep up what you are doing" and the second is "change to something else"? I agree with whoever it was that said that these battle convo options and translations are a bit... confusing. I want to work on her outfits because why not, but seem to be going nowhere.

I think it just changes how the AI acts, but not the actual description text.

So after I didn't really have time to play yesterday I'm digging right back in today :D All that talk about maxing relationships makes me wonder if I should do that too first but wouldn't all that grinding for stats and all make you already OP for a vast part of the story?

And I really love all the little details the game has to simulate a living world like the SAO Anime UI coming up when you accept quests or having other "players" actually fighting monsters and leveling up. Sure Arc Sophia is small as hell and the NPCs are like walking bots inside the town but when keeping in mind that all that was basically designed for the PSP it is really impressive and I can't wait to see a full blown Vita game for the sequel :D

Other than that I'm also really impressed by the CG quality and I actually weep a bit that we most likely never will see an actual realized MMO in the vein of Sword Art Online, atleast not with such a battle system and design aesthetic but ah well, back to playing Hollow Fragment! :)

ramyeon

You don't need to touch battle tactics to get the outfit except to reset your stats after getting each one. You do need to fight a lot and praise her when she uses skills that relate to that stat. For DEF you want to praise when you see a DEF icon in the lower left near her name. You also want to command her to draw aggro (L+Right on the d pad) and guard (L+left) and praise her when she does those. Other stats are different (For Buff you wanna use L+up which stuns for example). When you get one side of the graph to the max and another around half way ish or sometimes more you'll get the outfit. There's no pop up to tell you though, you need to check by talking to her and selecting Character Information.

Jindrael

Banned
I don't get the whole Battle Strategy stuff...

Would anybody be able to write a small step by step guide how to effectively change battle strategies.

I have raised Sinon to rank 5 approval but I have no clue what reseting strategies means and what exactly I have to press to push the AI in a different direction etc.
On top of that it really is not helping that the "talk about combat" dialog option is cryptic like nothing I have ever seen in a game.
Why couldn't they just make a dialog option for "Concentrate on ATK/BUF/DEF" and be done with it Oo

TUSR

Banned
did anyone else immediately switch sword skills to R so that they can combine with their partner with R+D-Pad Right

Doombear

You don't need to touch battle tactics to get the outfit except to reset your stats after getting each one. You do need to fight a lot and praise her when she uses skills that relate to that stat. For DEF you want to praise when you see a DEF icon in the lower left near her name. You also want to command her to draw aggro (L+Right on the d pad) and guard (L+left) and praise her when she does those. Other stats are different (For Buff you wanna use L+up which stuns for example). When you get one side of the graph to the max and another around half way ish or sometimes more you'll get the outfit. There's no pop up to tell you though, you need to check by talking to her and selecting Character Information.

So it seems pretty likely then that I am resetting her progress back to default every time I talk to her and then wondering why her stats aren't moving, eh? Oops!

Good to know. Thanks all. Have I mentioned today that I am loving this game? Just took out a Red Marlboro about 40 levels above me. It was an extremely hectic and fun fight. Won. Turned right around and found another place to spend my time =P

Ohnonono

Or you can almost max out everything and confuse the shit out of yourself. Take his advice though.

ramyeon

So it seems pretty likely then that I am resetting her progress back to default every time I talk to her and then wondering why her stats aren't moving, eh? Oops!

Good to know. Thanks all. Have I mentioned today that I am loving this game? Just took out a Red Marlboro about 40 levels above me. It was an extremely hectic and fun fight. Won. Turned right around and found another place to spend my time =P
Oh no that sets her to focus on specific things but I found it counter intuitive for getting the outfits since I believe it also limits you to praising those specific actions. There is a specific line in battle talk that allows you to reset to her default though.

As for the description of her role that changes when the graphs change.

ramyeon

Posting this from a GameFAQs thread. This is the only thing I read and after that getting the outfits was super easy.
There are 4 points for each category, and you don't need to max all of them out
max 1 out and have another 1 midway is probably acceptable. if not, advance a little bit more

how to advance each point is what we want to know:
ATK
- ATK support: easily perceived from the explanation beside, favorite ATK support. praise when you see one
- Switch: switch. that's it. be sure to not switch when you see xxx action, as praising will advance another point. an easy one is when you're targeted, switched, then your partner uses a sword skill
- Cooperation: i really have no idea what this is, somebody please help...

DEF
- Threat: ask your partner to take away target's attention by using 'target please'
- Cover: ask your partner to 'guard', also applicable when she parries
- DEF support: similar to ATK support

BUF
- Recover: recover hp, use 'heal'. most of the time you cannot use this. be sure to switch before asking her to heal, to take away enemy's attention, and prevent her from dying when looking for items
- Stun: stuns enemy, use 'stop skill'
- Interfere support: similar to ATK support

for Sword Skill point, praise her when you see her using a sword skill, when xxx Action is visible
Only thing I can add is that Cooperation is earned by doing things they ask in battle. Basically for each stat just choose the quickest and easiest two parameters and grind those and you'll be good! Usually it's Sword Skill and something else.

ramyeon

How do you know when you unlock an outift and where do you get/change into it?
Like I said above you need to check Character Info. Once it unlocks it'll be in that menu. You just select it from there but it won't be changed until you go back to town (Except Strea who changes when you go to a new screen).

Ryuukan

I'm trying to get the ATK outfit for Sinon but it doesnt look like her graph is moving at all. I'm praising atk support skills and I'm doing what she asks.

ramyeon

I'm trying to get the ATK outfit for Sinon but it doesnt look like her graph is moving at all. I'm praising atk support skills and I'm doing what she asks.
It's faster to order her to use sword skills and praise the ATK Sword Skills she uses. And Switch is easier to grind than Coop. Get the enemy to target you, then switch and praise her just as you land on the ground from jumping back.

If a character's graph was originally leaning towards other stats it will take awhile before the graph moves. But it shouldn't take more than about 10-15 mins to see some kind of movement. Shouldn't take over an hour to get any one outfit, most I got in under 30 minutes each.

TUSR

Banned
Umm dumb question but where can I find Valley Herbs on Floor 76? o.o

Go through the cave with the spiders.

Its the one where you have to help those 3 people fighting the lizards to open that gate.

The Herbs are hidden in bushes until you get close to them.

ramyeon

Umm dumb question but where can I find Valley Herbs on Floor 76? o.o
Directly after you get out of the Lizardmen's den. There's a valley with a giant spider, there are gather points in that area that shine when you're near them.

1. Behind the giant spider.
2. Half way up the hill.
3. All the way up and in a dead end to the left.

Ryuukan

It's faster to order her to use sword skills and praise the ATK Sword Skills she uses. And Switch is easier to grind than Coop. Get the enemy to target you, then switch and praise her just as you land on the ground from jumping back.

If a character's graph was originally leaning towards other stats it will take awhile before the graph moves. But it shouldn't take more than about 10-15 mins to see some kind of movement. Shouldn't take over an hour to get any one outfit, most I got in under 30 minutes each.

It's still just a sharp needle pointing up to ATK support

Go through the cave with the spiders.

Its the one where you have to help those 3 people fighting the lizards to open that gate.

The Herbs are hidden in bushes until you get close to them.

Directly after you get out of the Lizardmen's den. There's a valley with a giant spider, there are gather points in that area that shine when you're near them.

1. Behind the giant spider.
2. Half way up the hill.
3. All the way up and in a dead end to the left.

Ahh okay thanks you two! :) I wanted to finish the initial three quests before I head through the cave but I had no idea that the herbs are behind it :p

ramyeon

Ive switched about 15 times and praised her for it and zero change on the graph
Are you sure you're doing it right? The timing for praising switched is very fickle, it can often praise the skill used prior and not work at all. If you don't see a prompt at the top saying "xxx was praised for switching" then consider it as having not worked.

Make sure you have aggro and your timing is right, often she will combo into a sword skill if you got it right.
unless it says ATK above their name I don't think it will register as praise.
No, switching can be praised too. Switching doesn't have any icon near the name.

Jindrael

Banned
There is a specific line in battle talk that allows you to reset to her default though.

What is that infamous reset line? And if I get the reset line do I see a change in the Character info panel or do I just have to hope that something did reset? I tried probably every dialog option and nothing really did anything.

Ohnonono

Are you sure you're doing it right? The timing for praising switched is very fickle, it can often praise the skill used prior and not work at all. If you don't see a prompt at the top saying "xxx was praised for switching" then consider it as having not worked.

Make sure you have aggro and your timing is right, often she will combo into a sword skill if you got it right.

No, switching can be praised too. Switching doesn't have any icon near the name.

Good to know. Most of the time with me I would get my hate to 5 and then swap and she would sword skill. Ended up with switch praise too though.

ramyeon

What is that infamous reset line? And if I get the reset line do I see a change in the Character info panel or do I just have to hope that something did reset? I tried probably every dialog option and nothing really did anything.
It's different for each character but the answer is always that she's "Off Track". They need to be max friendship level for it to randomly appear. If you select it then the graphs all reset back to her default.
Good to know. Most of the time with me I would get my hate to 5 and then swap and she would sword skill. Ended up with switch praise too though.
Yeah if they combo into something it'll just count as being praise for switching.

Jindrael

Banned
It's different for each character but the answer is always that she's "Off Track". They need to be max friendship level for it to randomly appear. If you select it then the graphs all reset back to her default.

okay the graph only reset back to the default? I thought they would just reset to a graph without any spikes at all, well that at least changes something. Thanks will probably grind a bit more and look for changes but I have to say this part of the game is really really badly implemented =/

This thread is just reinforcing my desire to never mess with any of this relationship or costume stuff. It sounds like a nightmare of tedium.

ramyeon

okay the graph only reset back to the default? I thought they would just reset to a graph without any spikes at all, well that at least changes something. Thanks will probably grind a bit more and look for changes but I have to say this part of the game is really really badly implemented =/
Yeah it just goes back to how they started. It's not too bad, graphs are actually super easy to manipulate once you get the hang of it.

It's annoying that the reset isn't just an option you can choose without spamming battle talk though.
This thread is just reinforcing my desire to never mess with any of this relationship or costume stuff. It sounds like a nightmare of tedium.
The relationship stuff is, I just watch YouTube while spamming the R button without even looking half the time.

The stat manipulation for outfits is fun though!

Umm okay I need another bit of help here as I'm a bit confused. I teleported to the Hollow Area again just to see if something would happen before I advance with floor clearing and Philia greeted me and asked me to help her getting a ore for her weapon which drops in a abandoned research lab. So far so good but how do I know how to get there? Can I even do it in "multiplayer"? I called Asuna, Sinon and Leefa for fun.

EDIT: Hmm I think I got it! Holding R shows all area points so I think I head in the right direction now :eek:

EDIT 2: I got the 3 Bell Ores now that Philia wanted, how do I give them to her...?

EDIT 3: I got it, you can't do these quests in Multiplayer D:

Jindrael

Banned
can somebody please tell me how to release a lock? I just died again because I don't know how to retreat xD

I keep backdashing but it doesn't let me leave the battle mode.

Doombear

Yay! Strea's DEF grid finally moved. It was odd as it was not budging but her Buff graph was shrinking. Just noticed finally that the DEF graph is larger and she has changed to "Tank" in her description. Back to killing poor spiders.

Ohnonono

can somebody please tell me how to release a lock? I just died again because I don't know how to retreat xD

I keep backdashing but it doesn't let me leave the battle mode.

I don't know, but the answer is in the thread somewhere. Its some combination of x and the right or left on the d pad I think. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I am a lowly harem building bee slayer who has no need to run from the tiny prey I hunt.

Ohnonono

Yay! Strea's DEF grid finally moved. It was odd as it was not budging but her Buff graph was shrinking. Just noticed finally that the DEF graph is larger and she has changed to "Tank" in her description. Back to killing poor spiders.

When I started her attack grind I noticed the other graphs getting smaller before the attack one got bigger as well. It was what gave me hope that I finally figured it out!

Mendax

Sword Art Online - Hollow Fragment: Adultery Simulator 2014 (no adults included).

On a more serious note: is it correct that I get from you guys talking about stats and outfits that the stats are mutually exclusive? If you raise one the others go lower and vice versa? And if you max one stat you get an outfit corresponding with that stat?

Ohnonono

Sword Art Online - Hollow Fragment: Adultery Simulator 2014 (no adults included).

On a more serious note: is it correct that I get from you guys talking about stats and outfits that the stats are mutually exclusive? If you raise one the others go lower and vice versa? And if you max one stat you get an outfit corresponding with that stat?

Yes, but you keep them after you earn them, and get an extra costume for getting all of them for a character. So its more like they unlock, then you can get another and you don't lose the costume you already earned.

Mendax

Yes, but you keep them after you earn them, and get an extra costume for getting all of them for a character. So its more like they unlock, then you can get another and you don't lose the costume you already earned.

k thanks, but you do lose the stat progress you had? sounds a bit pointless then unless you really like their outfits

Doombear

k thanks, but you do lose the stat progress you had? sounds a bit pointless then unless you really like their outfits

I think you may be misunderstanding (either that, or I am). When you focus on one stat (DEF, ATK, BUF) you are merely doing that by praising them when they do an action you are focusing on.

This is my current view of Strea's info -

Right now with Strea I am working on her DEF outfit. So I tell her to Guard or Target and then when I see "DEF Action" pop up (right above her level and name) I press up on the D-pad to praise her. Doing that every time I can increases the DEF graph. Towards Cover when I tell her to Guard and praise her when she does, towards Threat when I tell her to Target and praise her when she does, etc.

Where I think you are confused (or again, perhaps I am) is the word "stats". Her actual defense stats aren't changing. She isn't getting more Defense and less Attack based on this, she is only developing her AI Stats. She will USE more Defense skills/moves as her grid grows in that direction. She herself is no stronger or weaker. Those stats come from levels.

kiryogi

Banned
Any pointers on raising BUF at all? Using Stop Skill or Heal often times doesn't work out, I imagine the latter is due to full hp and former is that her stun is on CD?

Top Bottom