• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It is really grindy; you grind for relationships, weapon mastery, those hollow implementations. The real problem is that they all take forever, so if you play normally, you won't experience a lot of it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It is really grindy; you grind for relationships, weapon mastery, those hollow implementations. The real problem is that they all take forever, so if you play normally, you won't experience a lot of it.

Sure it "takes forever" if folks try to play the game like a 4 hour COD single-player campaign. :)

I agree with Parakeet on this one, although a bit exaggerated, the game was made with the idea of it being a very long lasting game, just like an MMO. The devs said that they planned to support the game with these big patches, just like in MMOs, in order to extend the life of the game and make balance fixes.

This isn't a game that you are meant to play and beat in a week. This is meant to be played for multiple weeks, months. I'm going into my 3rd month playing it next week on the 29th lol.

ramyeon

Oh come on guys, criticising this game for the grindy aspects is more than fair game. No one is saying they want things sooner or being impatient. Grinding is a way to extend the length of the game, yes, but there are much better ways to extend the length that are far less tedious. No one is saying it's a bad game, it's just criticism and valid one at that.

I've played the game for 40 hours. I think it could be a bit less grind heavy, and obviously the developers realised this and that's why some of those issues have been rectified in the 1.03 update. It's a fair criticism.
This isn't a game that you are meant to play and beat in a week. This is meant to be played for multiple weeks, months. I'm going into my 3rd month playing it next week on the 29th lol.
Nobody said it was or they wanted it to be anywhere. Like I said above, games can be long without focusing too heavily on grinding.

For the record I am loving my time with this game and I'm glad there is so much to do in it, I brought up the Implement stuff because it strikes me as a very unreasonable amount of grinding. Obviously I was not alone in thinking this since the developers reduced the amount of grind needed for those in v1.03.

I also don't think it's fair to jump on someone and make assumptions about them for voicing a criticism of the game in here.

Parakeetman

Oh come on guys, criticising this game for the grindy aspects is more than fair game. No one is saying they want things sooner or being impatient. Grinding is a way to extend the length of the game, yes, but there are much better ways to extend the length that are far less tedious. No one is saying it's a bad game, it's just criticism and valid one at that.

I've played the game for 40 hours. I think it could be a bit less grind heavy, and obviously the developers realised this and that's why some of those issues have been rectified in the 1.03 update. It's a fair criticism.

Nobody said it was or they wanted it to be anywhere. Like I said above, games can be long without focusing too heavily on grinding.

For the record I am loving my time with this game and I'm glad there is so much to do in it, I brought up the Implement stuff because it strikes me as a very unreasonable amount of grinding. Obviously I was not alone in thinking this since the developers reduced the amount of grind needed for those in v1.03.

I also don't think it's fair to jump on someone and make assumptions about them for voicing a criticism of the game in here.

Just as its fair game to call people out on their opinions really. Two way street with opinions. Dont think that just because someone has an opinion that its not open to be shot back at

--------------

The main issue with the whole Hollow Mission system, is that there are a bunch of poorly designed missions which would make getting such a high number a bit of a pain. Since you would generally avoid the more stupid ones which limits the ones you can do for a particular area. Though thankfully once you have all the Hollow Areas unlocked its not as bad, but starting out things are a bit fail like with the Stealth one you mentioned and dont kill a particular target one.

ramyeon

Just as its fair game to call people out on their opinions really. Two way street with opinions. Dont think that just because someone has an opinion that its not open to be shot back at.
I'm not saying there can't be debate, but there's better ways of going about it.

depward

My brother was like oh hey. There's a new vita game out: Swords Art something? People say it's kind of like Phantasy Star... thought you'd be interested.

Looked into it...
Watched the first 14 EPs on Netflix.
Bought it on PSN.
Consider the kool-aid dranken (Engrish see what I did there?!).

Played enough to get to the point where it says hey go to hollow area or stay in Aincrad. I think I read in here hollow area is best (the game said the same) but I have quests in Aincrad!! Help!

Also #TeamAsuna

Steel

Banned
My brother was like oh hey. There's a new vita game out: Swords Art something? People say it's kind of like Phantasy Star... thought you'd be interested.

Looked into it...
Bought it on PSN.

Played enough to get to the point where it says hey go to hollow area or stay in Aincrad. I think I read in here hollow area is best (the game said the same) but I have quests in Aincrad!! Help!

Also #TeamAsuna

Do floor 76 before hollow area to figure out how to play. Hollow area is much harder.

Parakeetman

Where's my Log Horizon game?

I know right? Would be interesting to see if one gets made. Am unsure of how the series is doing domestically in Japan / novel wise that is.

One thing for sure is it has a lot more of a fleshed out world than SAO and all the political / economical stuff for me personally is more interesting.

Looked into it...
Bought it on PSN.

Also #TeamAsuna

Indeed stick to Aincrad for at least 2 floors then move onto the Hollow Area as you will get better loot from there, just be ready since the monsters are a lot stronger. The Aincrad quests for the most part shouldnt be much of a problem, cept for the ones where they want you to find X amount of items in the world map as the sparkles are hard to see at times due to the placement of them. Mushroom one especially.

I made the mistake of giving away the swimsuit and now I can't change back.

If I unlock the costumes for attack/def/stuff, can I change it back to them?

Parakeetman

I could have sworn there was a command that allows you to change their outfits. Just that I cant remember where it is as have not played in a while. Though had to be done in town I recall.

ramyeon

Once you unlock one of the stat costumes there'll be an option to change to that and also to change back to the default armour. Or you could just give her another piece of armour. But you'll lose the swimsuit just fyi. Once we get v1.03 you'll be able to change armour without losing the one they have equipped.

Meowtor

Gold Member
Hope you enjoy it! I'm sure you'll have lots of questions at first so don't hesitate to ask.

Speaking of questions, how frequently do the Hollow Missions rotate and appear? I noticed earlier that some missions I had already completed have reappeared. I finished it and now I wanna do it again to grind some Implements.

so far enjoying it a lot :) cant wait till i can actually explore the world

ramyeon

Finally got around to beating the first boss. Asuna stole MVP since I was using auto-attack most of the time to level up my dual wielding :( got the last hit though thankfully, it kinda looked like I didn't. Floor 77 looks cool, and I'm at 997 for my Dual Wield mastery! :D Probably gonna switch over to Rapier after this, I really wanna unlock the Katana tree.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
You can use a command to make everyone stop attacking the boss and stand back when you want to get the last attack. Also I think fighting higher level enemies levels weapon mastery much faster. Or at least that was my experience when grinding to 1000.

ramyeon

You can use a command to make everyone stop attacking the boss and stand back when you want to get the last attack. Also I think fighting higher level enemies levels weapon mastery much faster. Or at least that was my experience when grinding to 1000.
Yeah it definitely does, it went up really fast when fighting the boss. Also using speed buffs to speed up your attack speed is super useful since it makes it go much faster. Good to know about the command! Will definitely use it next time to avoid frustration haha.

Just hit 1000 on dual wield! Gonna switch to rapier, anyone have any experience with it and know which Sword Skills are good? I don't wanna get ones that I won't use since they tend to be quite expensive later on D:

Edit: Holy shit! "The Eclipse" is crazy!

Parakeetman

Yeah it definitely does, it went up really fast when fighting the boss. Also using speed buffs to speed up your attack speed is super useful since it makes it go much faster. Good to know about the command! Will definitely use it next time to avoid frustration haha.

Just hit 1000 on dual wield! Gonna switch to rapier, anyone have any experience with it and know which Sword Skills are good? I don't wanna get ones that I won't use since they tend to be quite expensive later on D:

the def down one is pretty useful. asides from that its really pick and choose for what you want unfortunately.

HawthorneKitty

Rapier sucks, so none of them.

ramyeon

I thought all you needed for Katana was to max out Scimitar and get Katana master?
Oh snap, you may be right. I missed that, I just saw that rapier linked up with Katana at the end. Well, might just finish off Sword to level 4 and do Scimitar then.

Steel

Banned
Oh snap, you may be right. I missed that, I just saw that rapier linked up with Katana at the end. Well, might just finish off Sword to level 4 and do Scimitar then.

Other skill sets have connections like that that are largely irrelevant. Though for awhile I thought that too and was just gonna go all in on one-hand to get two-handed swords because I didn't wanna bother with rapier.

In either case, scim has similar problems to rapier. A lot(not all, thankfully) of the moves are slow to start up.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Rapier is worthwhile to get the SP skills. You'll want to get sword or curved swords to 1000 to unlock either katana/2h so you can access warcry though.

ramyeon

Rapier is worthwhile to get the SP skills. You'll want to get sword or curved swords to 1000 to unlock either katana/2h so you can access warcry though.
Yeah there's definitely some nice SP skills at the end of Rapier, but they can be accessed from the end of Katana as well. Oh well, I wasted some skill points on Rapier I guess :p I know you can't unlock everything on the tree, but just how careful do you have to be about using skill points later on?

---

You know, Philia's def outfit (I think it's defence, the one with the cloak over her underwear lol) would be really cool if she was wearing shorts or something under it. Seriously. Less clothes does not necessarily look better in these games, Sinon's final outfit is another example of this.

---

Finally changed my armour. Kirito not wearing his black cloak is so weird lol.

Parakeetman

just like MMOs yeah higher the enemy level is compared to yourself and the weapon skill level most def does help skill up faster.

Kattbuss

This might be a stupid question, but what do you actually get by implementing the hollow challenges? I finished two of them but I'm not sure of the result.

Parakeetman

This might be a stupid question, but what do you actually get by implementing the hollow challenges? I finished two of them but I'm not sure of the result.

Wait isnt the descriptions available when you select the one you want to do?

Vlodril

i wanted to ask about giving items (weapons and armor) to your companions. If you use the give weapon option the companion says i got this weapon do you have something better (more or less) but i cant seem to be able to compare what i have with their weapon.

Also when i buy an armor piece i can see if they are wearing it or not but not how to give it to them.

Liking the game so far although some better maps would be nice (seems you have to memorise where everything is) and some markers for the quests too (finding the flowers in 76 floor was annoying).

I did the quests and got all the info for the boss. I think it suggests 745(?) or something points and i have 765 team wise. Should i just go for it?

I haven't visited the hollow yet because the first mission says 105 suggested level and i am 101 or 2 dont recall.

ramyeon

i wanted to ask about giving items (weapons and armor) to your companions. If you use the give weapon option the companion says i got this weapon do you have something better (more or less) but i cant seem to be able to compare what i have with their weapon.

Also when i buy an armor piece i can see if they are wearing it or not but not how to give it to them.

Liking the game so far although some better maps would be nice (seems you have to memorise where everything is) and some markers for the quests too (finding the flowers in 76 floor was annoying).

I did the quests and got all the info for the boss. I think it suggests 745(?) or something points and i have 765 team wise. Should i just go for it?

I haven't visited the hollow yet because the first mission says 105 suggested level and i am 101 or 2 dont recall.
There's no way to directly see what they have equipped and its stats until the 1.03 patch unfortunately. Until the patch hits if you give something to them you'll lose whatever they had beforehand as well.

For armour you need to get their friendship level up to 4 to change it, same as the weapons though the system for it is kind of clumsy until we get the 1.03 patch.

Phlebas

Banned
Ok so after I get her mood up to Lvl 5 and bridal carry up the stairs, so I need to get her mood to Lvl 5 again so I can repeat the bed talk again?

Kattbuss

Wait isnt the descriptions available when you select the one you want to do?

Well, I can see the requirements for the challenges. But what do you get by completing them? I seem to unlock new challenges and get some Hollow Points. And by the way, what are those used for.
Loving the game by the way!

Mendax

has anyone solved what to do in the Serpentis Temple of Offering yet?

I beat 3 bosses in the first map, 2 dullahans on the side and 1 evil eye in the center but that did not seem to do much.

in the map to the right there are 2 corridors, 1 leads to a prison and 1 to a belfry and both have nothing in them except a chest but those chests are unopenable.

what to do what to do?

Also i was expecting each floor to have at least 1 town area map, but they seem to be just menu options from 77 onwards. The dungeon and boss of 76 were AWESOME though so that makes up for it i guess ^^

Parakeetman

has anyone solved what to do in the Serpentis Temple of Offering yet?

I beat 3 bosses in the first map, 2 dullahans on the side and 1 evil eye in the center but that did not seem to do much.

in the map to the right there are 2 corridors, 1 leads to a prison and 1 to a belfry and both have nothing in them except a chest but those chests are unopenable.

what to do what to do?

Also i was expecting each floor to have at least 1 town area map, but they seem to be just menu options from 77 onwards. The dungeon and boss of 76 were AWESOME though so that makes up for it i guess ^^

yeah unfortunately the only real town is the starting one all the others are menu options. its too bad, but they had to make cuts somewhere. D:

id help you but the problem is JP vs ENG names are all different, am sure one of the other folks who are advancing along with you will be by to answer though :)

Mendax

yeah unfortunately the only real town is the starting one all the others are menu options. its too bad, but they had to make cuts somewhere. D:

id help you but the problem is JP vs ENG names are all different, am sure one of the other folks who are advancing along with you will be by to answer though :)

that one is not really for advancing i think, its the one right at the start of the hollow area. North into the building from the very first waypoint.

Or am i not supposed to try clearing that yet?

HawthorneKitty

what to do what to do?
If it's what I think you're thinking, I found out that the bosses are time based; the north room boss is only in the day and the south is only at night.

Parakeetman

that one is not really for advancing i think, its the one right at the start of the hollow area. North into the building from the very first waypoint.

Or am i not supposed to try clearing that yet?

hmm for advancing philia should be the one letting you know what you need to do.

some rooms might have locked doors till a story event there is cleared. which includes a specific boss that if killed it will unlock locked treasure chests. which is why some places seem to have locked chests that even though everything around is dead it still cant be opened.

ramyeon

Decided I'd better upload my save to PS+ since I've spent so long on it and hadn't set it to auto-upload yet and now my Vita is stuck on "Please Wait..." after hitting upload. Can't cancel it and it's not doing anything ugh. Probably gonna have to force shut it off, hope this doesn't do anything to my save file.

Edit: It's fine! Thank god haha. These kinds of errors worry me, I've had bad experiences in the past haha.

Top Bottom