• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Mailbox

I mean the thing where you set a sword skill to be a burst skill.
Oh, all that does is make the skill be the end of the burst combo. It just means less menu fiddling.
No real special advantage other than that.
(If you get a sword skill to activate on a just timing your sword skill will be stronger. A burst sword skill help with said timing)

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i'm looking at damages and i don't see big improvements using busrt attacks.

If for example a normal attack do 100 damage, burst attack do 1000 damage, it's 10x more damage, on paper is a lot more, but it's really worth to use them if a single sword skill do 50k-100k damage especially considering that burst attacks don't let you gain SP and often the activation of the powered sword skill happens at the wrong time when the enemy is attacking canceling the sword skill or consuming precious SP when they are needed?

Actually, my regular attacks do about 300-400 and my bursts deal around 5000 now. My just attacks basically do what my sword skills did a few levels back.

Burst attacks are really helpful when dealing Attack combos and party combos as well as giving you a lil leway of extra time while you think things through.

This battle system is pretty deep when you really wanna get into it. Fighting enemies 5+ levels higher than you will show you the value of just attacks, burst attacks, switch stunning, combining skills, and just dodges (which are stupidly hard to do).

Sitrus

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i'm looking at damages and i don't see big improvements using busrt attacks.

If for example a normal attack do 100 damage, burst attack do 1000 damage, it's 10x more damage, on paper is a lot more, but it's really worth to use them if a single sword skill do 50k-100k damage especially considering that burst attacks don't let you gain SP and often the activation of the powered sword skill happens at the wrong time when the enemy is attacking canceling the sword skill or consuming precious SP when they are needed?

Some implememts may raise burst attacks to over 10k. Before that, the burst attacks are just not that good.

Sinfamy

Just got the game, having the biggest dilemma... Customize character or stick with default Kirito to avoid weird transitions.

Just started watching the anime yesterday.

Watched until episode 4. Man, it really is full with fanservice lol

But it's quite enjoyable. I'm a sucker for animes like this, .Hack, Fortune Quest, etc.

Thinking of watching another 3-4 episodes today, it really gives another insight to the game, because of char development and stuff.

It's spoiler free right? Since the game starts an alternative timeline after around episode 14?

Mailbox

Just got the game, having the biggest dilemma... Customize character or stick with default Kirito to avoid weird transitions.

I stuck with stock kirito.
It's too weird since all the characters call you kirito and you appear as kirito in cutscenes and CGs.

Though the customization system is pretty damn good, so I don't think anyone would judge you if you wanted to use another look.

darkwing

But it's quite enjoyable. I'm a sucker for animes like this, .Hack, Fortune Quest, etc.

Thinking of watching another 3-4 episodes today, it really gives another insight to the game, because of char development and stuff.

It's spoiler free right? Since the game starts an alternative timeline after around episode 14?

Yup, just enjoy the anime

Bittercup

Burst attacks don't stop your SP regeneration. I think it gets slower with high risk but then you just switch. With praising + skills that give you SP/increase SP regeneration having enough SP shouldn't be a big problem when using burst attacks.
On the skill palette you can disable the burst setting on the skill so that you don't automatically use a sword skill even if you don't want to. I don't know why this is even a feature. I would remove this and activate skills only manually. You can still build up a combo with burst and finish manually with a sword skill.

RK128

Enjoy the show man :D; started watching it from Gaf's suggestion and before I know it three hours flew by with me watching the first half of S1 and the ending of S2.

Just do yourself a favor and not watch post ep.15. .....You will hate what they do with the characters X(. If anything, only watch it to get a better understanding of Leafa and Yui's characters (as both are huge characters in the second half of S1).

TheChaos0

Yep.

You might like Log Horizon better, if you like anime like these. It's the best MMO anime since .hack.

Corgi

Banned
Is there no easy way to manage skills? I mean i dont have that much sword skills i use, but i have about 10 or so other skills id like to use, and pulling up the whole screen is a pain.

how do yall manage?

Doombear

Is there no easy way to manage skills? I mean i dont have that much sword skills i use, but i have about 10 or so other skills id like to use, and pulling up the whole screen is a pain.

how do yall manage?

I know, its a bit overwhelming how many skills you have eventually.

Left Palette - War Cry, PFT Style, PRT Armor, Storm Mind
Right Palette - Weapon Skills

I just make do with tapping L+R in battle for the other skills I use (like Sword Dancer, Speed Master, Brave Storm, SP skills or healing skills) when they wear off. For the most part, most skills have long enough buff times that you should be able to activate most of them you need (for harder battles, for normal mobs you really don't need much most of the time).

I am actually sitting on 202 skill points unspent... because I haven't felt like I need much else right now.

bobawesome

Enjoy the show man :D; started watching it from Gaf's suggestion and before I know it three hours flew by with me watching the first half of S1 and the ending of S2.

Just do yourself a favor and not watch post ep.15. .....You will hate what they do with the characters X(. If anything, only watch it to get a better understanding of Leafa and Yui's characters (as both are huge characters in the second half of S1).

It still boggles my mind that people have such an issue with the second cour, especially considering some of the moments within the first half.

Anyway, I started playing the game after being initially disappointed with it. After playing for 20 hours I can say that it's not entirely terrible but it doesn't live up to its potential.

Uthred

Has the patch come out yet and if so is the game still riddled with "engrish"?

It still boggles my mind that people have such an issue with the second cour, especially considering some of the moments within the first half.

Totally agree, apart from the weird relationship with his cousin I dont really get peoples problems with the second half

Doombear

Has the patch come out yet and if so is the game still riddled with "engrish"?

NA Patch is indeed out, no idea about EU. The change log screenshots were posted last week I believe. It was never indicated it would be anything more than gameplay changes and additions though. No change to the dialogue/translation errors.

Hey guys the update is out!
15306207576_80ec6c4d0e_o.jpg

15142669988_b90e430bd3_o.jpg

15142670778_0f495f7bf1_o.jpg

Ogawa-san

Second arc only has one
SAO girl cycle (saved by Kirito > falls in love > sleep together/close by > optionally show up in underwear)
, that makes it better than the first for me.

I really mean it.

Ok, so I just watched the first two or three episodes of the anime 2nd Arc, and oh it would be soooo better if they went SAO:HF path!

Not liking the whole setting :| perfect time to continue playing!

To new players: Watch the first 14 episodes of the anime! It really adds up to the experience!

TheChaos0

So, I've finally started playing. Thanks for the OP and the newcomers tips. :)

I need to get used to the combat system. Must stop spamming circle. This is not a hack and slash! So far I quite like it.

This is certainly a waifu central! And on top of the regular girls we get Leafa and Shinon. I suppose, I can recruit Klein as well?

I need to mess around with the gir... I mean... combat system on the for it to sink in.

So, I've finally started playing. Thanks for the OP and the newcomers tips. :)

I need to get used to the combat system. Must stop spamming circle. This is not a hack and slash! So far I quite like it.

This is certainly a waifu central! And on top of the regular girls we get Leafa and Shinon. I suppose, I can recruit Klein as well?

I need to mess around with the gir... I mean... combat system on the for it to sink in.

If you didn't already, watch the first 14 episodes of the anime :)

The game twist in the storyline is much better than the actual anime, imo!

Edit: Also, in the Anime things went way too fast!

In one episode we see Asuna and Kirito forming a party, 3 or 4 episodes later they get married.

The fight with the Skull Reaper lasted one last bit of an episode, and about 60seconds of the next one.

The fight with Heathcliff lasted 3 minutes.

And now, Fairies.

I don't have the game yet, been waiting to see if there could be a price drop. But I'm heading off to Hong Kong in a month and have the opportunity to pick up the Asian version of the game.
I was just wondering how the English translation between the Western and Asian versions compare. I understand that the digital-only version we got over received a pretty brutal translation, but is still playable. Is this the case with the Asian version of the game, or would I be much better off going for the Western version?
Also I read the OP about getting the updates for free. Would this not be the case if I have a North American PS account and buy the physical Asian copy of the game?

drakkykun

Does Aincrad ever get any difficult? I'm at floor 80 but I've been breezing through every floor so far. Why did they make it so easy, anyway? It makes no sense.

Does Aincrad ever get any difficult? I'm at floor 80 but I've been breezing through every floor so far. Why did they make it so easy, anyway? It makes no sense.

The Hollow area is a LOT harder!

I'm at floor 79 in Aincrad and yes, even the Boss fights are easy (altough longer because of the HP).

Still trying to figure out the battle system, mainly ways to recover my SP since regular attacks do little damage!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

its exactly the same as the psp version for the most part.

the improved battle system makes things a lot easier also from how the psp ui worked.

dont expect much of a challenge from aincrad esp if you leveled in the hollow area

everyone needs to remember the aincrad portion is taken from the original psp game infinity moment which is why the design is a lot smaller and simplistic compared to the hollow area.

drakkykun

its exactly the same as the psp version for the most part.

the improved battle system makes things a lot easier also from how the psp ui worked.

dont expect much of a challenge from aincrad esp if you leveled in the hollow area

everyone needs to remember the aincrad portion is taken from the original psp game infinity moment which is why the design is a lot smaller and simplistic compared to the hollow area.
I see. They could at least tweak it a little, like increasing the level of the monsters. I mean, you start at level 100 and those monsters are in the 70-80 range =/

Parakeetman

I see. They could at least tweak it a little, like increasing the level of the monsters.

whats the point thats what the hollow area and content update is for.

thats because that part of the game is designed as a tutorial to ease folks into the game. its how it was designed and there is no reason to do unnecessary changes when you have a whole nother half of the game geared toward high lv, skilled players.

RK128

I don't have the game yet, been waiting to see if there could be a price drop. But I'm heading off to Hong Kong in a month and have the opportunity to pick up the Asian version of the game.
I was just wondering how the English translation between the Western and Asian versions compare. I understand that the digital-only version we got over received a pretty brutal translation, but is still playable. Is this the case with the Asian version of the game, or would I be much better off going for the Western version?
Also I read the OP about getting the updates for free. Would this not be the case if I have a North American PS account and buy the physical Asian copy of the game?

I watched a lot of the Aisan version when the NA/EU versions launched over here and after playing the game for a long time (at least 20+ hours so far)....it is more or less the same as the Asian version :(. The only difference is that SOME of the translation seems to have been fixed (for example, stuff like 'penetration' got altered to a new world), I suppose due to how messed up that would be in NA/EU XD.

The only issue in your case is that DLC will not work with NA accounts :(; the game and patches are non-region locked but the DLC is. If you don't mind missing out on the DLC, then go right ahead and get the Asian version when you can :D; retail version = more space on the MC after all XD. If you want the DLC's that badly though, then you might have to buckle down and get the NA/EU version sadly (messed up their was no retail version :l....).
The DLC is composed of hard missions/dungeon and costumes/weapons for Kirtio and the rest of the girls (the ones for Krito and Sinon are awesome :D; GGO weapons and armor for Kirtio and Sinon gets her GGO set up (with blue eyes and hair to boot).

Ok, so I just watched the first two or three episodes of the anime 2nd Arc, and oh it would be soooo better if they went SAO:HF path!

Not liking the whole setting :| perfect time to continue playing!

To new players: Watch the first 14 episodes of the anime! It really adds up to the experience!

Have to agree with you there :). The second ark is just so....random :l; they rushed through Alicard like nothing just to got an flying version of that world with faries/classes (with the females having big boobs) :l......GREAT IDEA XD!

And you have to love the stories for Leafa (who loves her brother....even though he IS her brother :l.....writing gold XD) and Asuna (who becomes a Prince Peach character despite originally being a tough character who can fight on her own terms...and she becomes a sex object for that business guy; its like Other M all over again X(, ruining a strong female character just to make a convoluted story work :().

I watched a lot of the Aisan version when the NA/EU versions launched over here and after playing the game for a long time (at least 20+ hours so far)....it is more or less the same as the Asian version :(. The only difference is that SOME of the translation seems to have been fixed (for example, stuff like 'penetration' got altered to a new world), I suppose due to how messed up that would be in NA/EU XD.

The only issue in your case is that DLC will not work with NA accounts :(; the game and patches are non-region locked but the DLC is. If you don't mind missing out on the DLC, then go right ahead and get the Asian version when you can :D; retail version = more space on the MC after all XD. If you want the DLC's that badly though, then you might have to buckle down and get the NA/EU version sadly (messed up their was no retail version :l....).
The DLC is composed of hard missions/dungeon and costumes/weapons for Kirtio and the rest of the girls (the ones for Krito and Sinon are awesome :D; GGO weapons and armor for Kirtio and Sinon gets her GGO set up (with blue eyes and hair to boot).

Awesome, thanks for the informative post.
So I guess it comes down to how much I value the DLC, since the translation for both the Asian version and the NA versions are pretty much on par with each other.
Would I be missing out on some key gameplay if I didn't go for the DLC? Is the DLC free, anyways? I don't really ever care about extra weapons or costumes so those aren't worth it for me.

Parakeetman

Awesome, thanks for the informative post.
So I guess it comes down to how much I value the DLC, since the translation for both the Asian version and the NA versions are pretty much on par with each other.
Would I be missing out on some key gameplay if I didn't go for the DLC? Is the DLC free, anyways? I don't really ever care about extra weapons or costumes so those aren't worth it for me.

DLC should be free. But there are other hollow mission quests. Japan had an actual DLC dungeon added too, not sure if the West got it.

In regards to the large content update I forgot what that was considered an actual update (which can be gotten through any PSN acct regardless of region) or considered DLC (which means you need an account for said region that the game belongs to)

The large content update is most def something you want.

DLC should be free. But there are other hollow mission quests. Japan had an actual DLC dungeon added too, not sure if the West got it.

In regards to the large content update I forgot what that was considered an actual update (which can be gotten through any PSN acct regardless of region) or considered DLC (which means you need an account for said region that the game belongs to)

The large content update is most def something you want.

I just did some preliminary Googling and it seems like the the content patch is available for every version of the game, and there isn't any mention of it being DLC.
I did get the three free DLC packs from the PS Store, but I'm going to assume since I got it from the NA, it won't work if I buy the Asian version of the game?

Parakeetman

I just did some preliminary Googling and it seems like the the content patch is available for every version of the game, and there isn't any mention of it being DLC.
I did get the three free DLC packs from the PS Store, but I'm going to assume since I got it from the NA, it won't work if I buy the Asian version of the game?

yes dlc usually does not work cross regions.

Hikami

That SAO III game is being announced soon guys.

Livestream links:
NicoNico
YouTube
from the Dengeki Bunko 2014 Fall Festival Site

e596cf5079.png

countdown for this specific event;
t1412485200z2.png

My knowledge of kanji is pretty limited but I'm at least pretty sure that says "Bandai Namco Games, Sword Art Online Games"

There's other stuff too like the fighting climax game but I'm not really too interested in those, here's the other schedules if you're interested though.
http://db2014fes.dengeki.com/niconico/index.html

Hikami

Whoooho! Will it launch for the VITA? Also, will it launch outside of Japan? Hope so!!

All I remember is that they said back in TGS that they would announce "SAO III" on Oct. 5th at their festival. No word on anything else as far as I know.. we'll see soon.

Though Hollow Fragment seems to be selling pretty well enough for an Asian/Western release.

Edit:
hasn't even shown up on stream yet but they announced it early o_O
Sword Art Online - Lost Song will be set in Alfheim Online
PS3/Vita
trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtJ7qAnOH0
sao_01_cs1w1_590x.jpg

Parakeetman

All I remember is that they said back in TGS that they would announce "SAO III" on Oct. 5th at their festival. No word on anything else as far as I know.. we'll see soon.

Though Hollow Fragment seems to be selling pretty well enough for an Asian/Western release.

Edit:
PS3/Vita
trailer:
sao_01_cs1w1_590x.jpg

Hmm will be interesting to see how the flight system will work.

kaiyo

And you have to love the stories for Leafa (who loves her brother....even though he IS her brother :l.....writing gold XD) and Asuna (who becomes a Prince Peach character despite originally being a tough character who can fight on her own terms...and she becomes a sex object for that business guy; its like Other M all over again X(, ruining a strong female character just to make a convoluted story work :().

Kazuto is her cousin, not brother...

Redhood

Thinking of Importing the physical English Asian Version. Will there be any content that I will be missing apart from DLC?
Is there any major dlc? Missions? Weapons? Costumes?

Edit:
PS3/Vita
trailer:
sao_01_cs1w1_590x.jpg

Wow! These are great news! Wonder how the story will follow up since the game walks a different path of the anime!

Also, good to see that they havent forgot the Vita!

Great news! I dont understand japanese, so any mention of when its coming? Im guessing middle/late 2015?

ramyeon

Thinking of Importing the physical English Asian Version. Will there be any content that I will be missing apart from DLC?
Is there any major dlc? Missions? Weapons? Costumes?
The major content patch isn't region locked so that's not an issue.

You will miss out on some cool DLC though, like the GGO costumes/weapon, some bonus hollow missions and stuff like that. Honestly I would just go for your PSN account region's version at this point.

Glad to see a sequel announced, and glad it's in ALfheim Online. I really liked that setting even if the story arc was kind of average.

Hmm will be interesting to see how the flight system will work.

Came back here since I knew there would be talks about this. The fact that it's getting it's own story and it's being developed by the same team has made my fears disappear, I'm in although I would of been happy if it was GGO too. I still play HF to this day since the Asian version released, the game is very dear to me, here's hoping that if no asian English version is released, that the Namco US branch smartens up and releases this over here as well. PHYSICALLY PLS.

The gameplay tidbit looked awesome, finally they can work with the engine and make something from scratch rather than just remaster the Psp graphics. The HF arc looked great compared to IM, and if these graphics still hold true until the final build is out, this one will be even better.

SAO: Lost Song...the real question now is whether I should get it on Vita or PS3...
I guess it'll depend on localization.

If it stays in Japan, PS3. If it comes here with JP voices, surely Vita.

TheChaos0

If you didn't already, watch the first 14 episodes of the anime :)

The game twist in the storyline is much better than the actual anime, imo!

Edit: Also, in the Anime things went way too fast!

In one episode we see Asuna and Kirito forming a party, 3 or 4 episodes later they get married.

The fight with the Skull Reaper lasted one last bit of an episode, and about 60seconds of the next one.

The fight with Heathcliff lasted 3 minutes.

And now, Fairies.

Oh, I've watched SAO but thanks anyway. :)

I've played a bit more and yep, it feels like an MMO. I'm killing them 10 boars and collecting them 14 bee stings. Funny enough that familiar feeling is still addicting.

In regarding the Hollow Area research/implement thing. When you initialise it... it makes the quest active? And how do you find it afterwards by wandering about?

I have troubles with who to pick for a party! I wish there were 3 party members in total, instead of just 2 but I suppose they needed that waifu time.

Ravage

It's pretty impressive how well the game captures the essence of the SAO universe. Stuff like leveling up members from the lead group to improve chances of defeating the boss, gathering boss intel, etc...

A question for veterans: I've played for some time now and I still don't get what the skill description 'Heavy ATK Skill' does. Crescent Avalanche (2H Axe skill) has it and it is really underpowered compared to Ultimate Breaker.

Top Bottom