• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Stuart444

So just heard about SAOLS and came here to see how people are reacting.

I'm looking forward to it, flight system looks cool, it won't be held back by the PSP anymore (though I am sad about no PS4 version but PS4 isn't doing great in Japan so eh :/ ) plus I prefer Asuna Undines look which we should get in this :D.

Sales were very good in both EU and NA regions for SAOHF so I'm hopeful that means they will do a proper translation of SAOLS. At the very least, the sales point to good things for this in the west imo.

swit

Sales were very good in both EU and NA regions for SAOHF so I'm hopeful that means they will do a proper translation of SAOLS. At the very least, the sales point to good things for this in the west imo.
source? Can't find it myself. Thanks in advance.

Kysen

Why PS3? surely these devs know that PS3 will be dead next year. Depends how well the Vita version runs, if I pick this game up at all.

Yopis

So just heard about SAOLS and came here to see how people are reacting.

I'm looking forward to it, flight system looks cool, it won't be held back by the PSP anymore (though I am sad about no PS4 version but PS4 isn't doing great in Japan so eh :/ ) plus I prefer Asuna Undines look which we should get in this :D.

Just saw the news pretty stoked. Also sad about no PS4 version

Stuart444

Why PS3? surely these devs know that PS3 will be dead next year. Depends how well the Vita version runs, if I pick this game up at all.

Probably because the PS4 is currently dead in Japan. PS3 may well be more alive than the PS4 depending on when this releases.

No source as far as numbers go. Just based on ratings on the PSN store, and from what's been said around the internet. It's easily done far better/above what Bamcos expectations were I'm. I'm pretty positive on that.

Hikami

I think all we have on sales is that it was the top selling Vita game on the Psn store for August.
I don't think we have the ones for September yet but should be interesting to see how SAO did that month.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/08/playstation-store-augusts-top-sellers/

a8ef84abc6.png
EU as well

RK128

I think all we have on sales is that it was the top selling Vita game on the Psn store for August.
I don't think we have the ones for September yet but should be interesting to see how SAO did that month.

EU as well

Considering the big update came to the game in September (in NA at least; sucked your EU PSN guys had to wait a while more X(), I'm sure that had some impact on the sales of this month :D.

Stuart444

EU as well

I didn't know they listed the top selling Vita games on the blogs haha.

Nice to see it topped in both regions.

Hikami

Something I just realized about Lost Song is that you and your partners should be able to "die" now right?
It sounds funny I know. In SAO if you die its an instant game over, but in this one we should be able to just respawn or even revive.

RK128

Something I just realized about Lost Song is that you and your partners should be able to "die" now right?
It sounds funny I know. In SAO if you die its an instant game over, but in this one we should be able to just respawn or even revive.

That depends if they are keeping "You die in the game and you REALLY DIE!!!" angle they had with Hallow Fragment; this is essentially a new 'cannon' for the series, so anything could happen.

I'm just wondering if their will be any new party members in this new game; the second half of S1 showed off three of Sugu's friends in the game (the shy guy and those two faction girls), so maybe they can join Kritio's party now :). Also their is the chance we might get a new character only for the game world; they did that with both the PSP game and Hallow Fragment (Strea and Phila), so it would be interesting to see that happen again.

Speaking of those two characters, I'm wondering if they will be in the new game
(as Strea was in the SAO servers similar to Yui and Phila is now part of the group),
same thing with Sinon (as she is friends with Kirto and company in this new cannon).

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle both the party members and the story here :).

In light of the ALO trailer, I went back to my HF save. 90 sum hours on that baby, surprisingly enough even after a long break I still got all my combos and strategies on lock aha!

Mendax

judging from some of the HF endings something funky is going on in ALO as well, it might be very different from the novel/anime version

Hikami

judging from some of the HF endings something funky is going on in ALO as well, it might be very different from the novel/anime version

Agh.. I hope they don't do the whole 'trapped in an MMO' thing again then. Would be nice to actually be able to go into the real world.

Or well.. I guess they could make ALO have "permadeath" or something though and still allow them to log out.

Mailbox

I think it would actually be really cool if you cold go to the real world. Kinda like Persona, how during the night you kick shadow ass, and during the day you go to school.

Honestly a social link like system would help since hollow fragments' dating system is way too shallow.

Like you date people irl and do the core gameplay in the game.
I can see that working well.

But I doubt it would. :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Honestly a social link like system would help since hollow fragments' dating system is way too shallow.

Like you date people irl and do the core gameplay in the game.
I can see that working well.

But I doubt it would. :(

good, since id rather them focus on the gameplay system and balancing as thats what most of the time spent in the title will be about just like this one. considering they are doing a whole new system too seeing how there is flight most def want them to lock that down oroper before worrying about anything else.

The system was old anyways since it was exactly the same as the PSP one for the most part, they didnt bother to upgrade it. Am sure by now with all the feedback they have gotten from the JP gamers and no more PSP hardware restrictions they might try something new. Like actual conversations with NPCs instead of the random text.

Munkyspace

In regards to the patch that was released, did it disable (or give the option to disable) the back touch pad for camera zoom? Was all about picking it up until i saw BlueMaxima's review when it first released where he said it was a tad bit annoying.

If that back touch is disabled, I'm about to be $40 poorer. Please advise!

ramyeon

In regards to the patch that was released, did it disable (or give the option to disable) the back touch pad for camera zoom? Was all about picking it up until i saw BlueMaxima's review when it first released where he said it was a tad bit annoying.

If that back touch is disabled, I'm about to be $40 poorer. Please advise!
You can choose to switch it off yeah. But it was a total non issue anyway, never had a problem with it at all.

MayMay

Banned
Man, I was so excited for this back when they announced the release date but back then I didnt have money to buy it and forgot about it. I want to buy it now though.

So I guess plenty of ppl have already finished the game? How long did it take you guys? Does it have alot of "game" in it? Also - did the translation end up better than the chinese version?

Parakeetman

Man, I was so excited for this back when they announced the release date but back then I didnt have money to buy it and forgot about it. I want to buy it now though.

So I guess plenty of ppl have already finished the game? How long did it take you guys? Does it have alot of "game" in it? Also - did the translation end up better than the chinese version?

very very slightly according to everyone here. which isnt much.

gamecontent wise you will most def get your $$$ worth

Mailbox

At 78 hours (or somewhere around there.)
Finished hollow area, on floor 91 boss.
The game is surprisingly deep, you can get lost in the smallest things (like ally ai management, hollow missions, weapon mastery. Heck you could even spend hours on the (shallow) dating element.)

There is a huge info dump about how to play the game right out of the gate, so be careful not to let that get you down.

HIR0

Just started playing again after a long time away from the game.
I beat the area boss on the top of the tower which was a very easy fight.
I never used parry before but I'm starting to use it and with great success.
How many main areas exist within the hollow area?

kaiiri

so... i'm completely lost. I just got a vita last week (mainly for remote play), but remembered SAO was on it .. and since I love the anime I picked it up for the vita. been playing for a bit.. but I have absolutely no clue what i'm suppose to be doing.

I have random party members wanting to group, which I do. then it tells me to go where in the hallow area.. which I have no clue how to get there or how to find it.

so instead I decided to beat 2 levels on the tower... and that's all I've done. what am I suppose to be doing?! and how do I find where i'm suppose to go?!

I see the list of "tasks / missions" .... just not how to get there or where to go.

Mendrox

Love the patch and played even more SAO HF again now with it.

Almost through Hollow Forrest I guess (I am in that Alien forrest), but I guess I am way to underleveled or need better equipment (Level 116).

Any tipps or areas for that area where I can level fast? I also got the EXP passive skill and almost every weapon category to 600-800 (or mastery). Guess I will hunt down some armor with the chest guide from GFAQS and will try to kick the bosses ass again. :O

Just started playing again after a long time away from the game.
I beat the area boss on the top of the tower which was a very easy fight.
I never used parry before but I'm starting to use it and with great success.
How many main areas exist within the hollow area?

If I remember correctly, 5 plus the center DLC areas. So 7?

Stuart444

If I remember correctly, 5 plus the center DLC areas. So 7?

Indeed, 8 if you include the concealed area.

so... i'm completely lost. I just got a vita last week (mainly for remote play), but remembered SAO was on it .. and since I love the anime I picked it up for the vita. been playing for a bit.. but I have absolutely no clue what i'm suppose to be doing.

I have random party members wanting to group, which I do. then it tells me to go where in the hallow area.. which I have no clue how to get there or how to find it.

so instead I decided to beat 2 levels on the tower... and that's all I've done. what am I suppose to be doing?! and how do I find where i'm suppose to go?!

I see the list of "tasks / missions" .... just not how to get there or where to go.

One of the things you should have done early on is go to the Hollow Area as part of the story (after Kirito is done explaining to the others where he was). But regardless, center of town, middle part of it aka the place you use to teleport to other floors. That also takes you to the Hollow Area.

In the Hollow Area, access the Hollow Map, it's easier to navigate with the big patch. Use that to find where you need to go inside there.

Feel free to do as much of the Floor Clearing stuff but once you get to Floor 90, stop and beat the Hollow Area Story. If you have issues leveling, see my answer to Mendrox below

Love the patch and played even more SAO HF again now with it.

Almost through Hollow Forrest I guess (I am in that Alien forrest), but I guess I am way to underleveled or need better equipment (Level 116).

Any tipps or areas for that area where I can level fast? I also got the EXP passive skill and almost every weapon category to 600-800 (or mastery). Guess I will hunt down some armor with the chest guide from GFAQS and will try to kick the bosses ass again. :O

If you use twin swords, there is a great set which I outlined how to get quite a few pages back, Hollow Area 4, behind a door that needs a level140+ (iirc) monster beaten to access. You can do it in SPMP mode if you're worried about the Monsters level.

As for leveling up, two ways. Either access Single Player MP mode go to the concealed area, keep going up to find tough opponents to beat or access SPMP and then go to any area where there is tough level 130 - 140+ enemies, beat them, wait for them to respawn (or go off and find another set of enemies). Like the area I mentioned, Hollow Area 4 (the dungeon area before Area 5 which is the dark Forest area) is a good one, there is a few higher leveled enemies. Just make sure to have the EXP skill for yourself on.

Rinse + Repeat.

You're not that underleveled btw. I beat the Hollow Story at around level 119. Make sure you keep a healthy supply of potions and you can access your healing skills easily. Also making sure you buff before bosses is good. (if you don't know ones coming and you die, just remember to use them next time).

And when it comes to bosses, learning their patterns and knowing when to parry and when to move the hell away is crucial. (Last boss of the Hollow Story requires a lot more moving than I was used to in boss fights haha).

I almost wish there was a difficulty selection, some of the story bosses were way too easy. Even in the Hollow Area. (though it got a big boost near the end in difficulty I admit).

Stuart444

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/first-sword-art-online-lost-song-gameplay-details

Sword Art Online: Lost Song talks place on Svart ALfheim, a mysterious new floating continent that comes bundled with a game update to ALfheim Online. The continent is said to include a multitude of different area types, including plains, deserts, and icebergs, among other varieties. Each area is also estimated to be around 16 square kilometers in size, all of which can be freely explored on foot or in the air.

Notably, Lost Song will be the first Sword Art Online game where players can choose to play as someone other than Kirito. Although whether they’ll be able to do so with a customizable avatar is still to be determined.

Excited :D Hollow Fragment was fun and this looks fun too.

Mendrox

Indeed, 8 if you include the concealed area.

One of the things you should have done early on is go to the Hollow Area as part of the story (after Kirito is done explaining to the others where he was). But regardless, center of town, middle part of it aka the place you use to teleport to other floors. That also takes you to the Hollow Area.

In the Hollow Area, access the Hollow Map, it's easier to navigate with the big patch. Use that to find where you need to go inside there.

Feel free to do as much of the Floor Clearing stuff but once you get to Floor 90, stop and beat the Hollow Area Story. If you have issues leveling, see my answer to Mendrox below

If you use twin swords, there is a great set which I outlined how to get quite a few pages back, Hollow Area 4, behind a door that needs a level140+ (iirc) monster beaten to access. You can do it in SPMP mode if you're worried about the Monsters level.

As for leveling up, two ways. Either access Single Player MP mode go to the concealed area, keep going up to find tough opponents to beat or access SPMP and then go to any area where there is tough level 130 - 140+ enemies, beat them, wait for them to respawn (or go off and find another set of enemies). Like the area I mentioned, Hollow Area 4 (the dungeon area before Area 5 which is the dark Forest area) is a good one, there is a few higher leveled enemies. Just make sure to have the EXP skill for yourself on.

Rinse + Repeat.

You're not that underleveled btw. I beat the Hollow Story at around level 119. Make sure you keep a healthy supply of potions and you can access your healing skills easily. Also making sure you buff before bosses is good. (if you don't know ones coming and you die, just remember to use them next time).

And when it comes to bosses, learning their patterns and knowing when to parry and when to move the hell away is crucial. (Last boss of the Hollow Story requires a lot more moving than I was used to in boss fights haha).

I almost wish there was a difficulty selection, some of the story bosses were way too easy. Even in the Hollow Area. (though it got a big boost near the end in difficulty I admit).

Good tips! Yeah the Insect Boss Fight is a new number in terms of dodging and tactics, but I will manage. :) Also I guess I will level up where you told me and get the Twin Sword Set which you mentioned (just have to search for your post :p).

Thank you fellow Sinon lover

Hikami

Notably, Lost Song will be the first Sword Art Online game where players can choose to play as someone other than Kirito. Although whether they’ll be able to do so with a customizable avatar is still to be determined.

I'm hoping this part means that we can create our own character and not be called Kirito throughout the whole game.. :lol
I don't hate Kirito but come on.. I picked my name as Makoto in -HF- yet the dialogue still refers to me as Kirito.
Playing as other characters might be fun but eh.. I'd prefer those as partners and just have my own specific character in this since its sort of an MMO.

Just let me pick Undine as my race and all is good.

They can take their sweet time if they localize this, I'm like 40 hours in and I still feel like I have done nothing. Only two hollow areas are level 2 :__;

Parakeetman

I'm hoping this part means that we can create our own character and not be called Kirito throughout the whole game.. :lol
I don't hate Kirito but come on.. I picked my name as Makoto in -HF- yet the dialogue still refers to me as Kirito.
Playing as other characters might be fun but eh.. I'd prefer those as partners and just have my own specific character in this since its sort of an MMO.

Just let me pick Undine as my race and all is good.

Problem doing this is you have a less focused story. Should be pretty obvious as to why it was done this way design wise.

Mendrox

Nice weapon mastery guide, ~ 20-30 minutes for one weapon mastery:

This is a short guide to max weapon mastery at the fastest speed possible. I maxed 2-handed sword from 0 to 1000 in about ~35 min. All credits belong to the JP wiki.

Requirements:
1. Access to DLC mission "Lord of nightmare". Its a rank 1 mission so you do not need to rank up the hollow area to access it.

2. Implement "Additional Sale of D Value Impact Gear" NOT cleared.

Skills that will greatly improve the efficiency of the grind:
1. Effect booster (enhances duration of buffs)
2. Speed Master (10% reduction in attack interval)
3. Brave storm (10% reduction in attack interval)
4. Star Saber (10% reduction in attack interval)
5. Sword Dancer (5% reduction in attack interval)
6. Stealth POS (5% reduction in attack interval)
7. Speed Stance (passive skill 5% reduction in attack interval)

Not recommended to use First step because of its shorter duration. You want all your buffs to wear off at around the same time so you can reapply them all together.

Equipment to improve efficiency of the grind:
1. Weapons with as low DPS as possible. You want the mobs to die as slowly as possible.
2. Any that reduces weapon interval (e.g. Mirage belt)
3. Dodge+ gear (so you need to heal less often)
4. Hit+ gear (may or may not be needed)
5. Any necro coat (to reduce cooldown of effect booster)

The basic idea is to get your attack speed to 0. With the implement active, you get -50% attack interval and a certain amount of double attack and hit +50. So you only need to make up an additional 50% through skills and equipment to cap. Why do we need to do this during the DLC mission? The reason is because the buffs you receive during that implement is only available while the hollow mission is active. The DLC mission has a 240 min duration!

General flow is: Cast effect booster>cast other buffs>pick a mob>auto attack it to death>find another mob if buffs are still on>recast buffs as they wear off>repeat

Oh and don't forget to do this while in multi-player mode so that you can pick up the buffer ability to further improve efficiency. Needless to say, DON'T bring a partner along.

Mendrox

that is some great info for those who want to shorten their times with weapon mastery esp for the types that are more of a pain in the ass to use.

Mission length is 4 hours so it should be enough time to maxout every weapon type :) I don't even feel bad because it is just tedious to level them up lol.

Phades

I got a question relating to OSS and general timing (this also seems to reflect the "just attack" frames).

Are they all at the "end" of the attack animation or do they vary by sword skill? The window of opportunity seems pretty narrow in general and it is easy to mess up with other effects/skills going on at the same time. I like that there is a testing ground for "practice", but practical application doesn't always reflect the testing ground.

Also, for reference, I have no idea when exactly the game wants me to follow an attack in the regular burst action sequence for the "just attacks" to occur. I have done a few of them, but it seemed more like coincidence than anything else. If there is supposed to be that bubble visual que as the only indicator, that gets obscured really easily plus the camera angle gets wonky at any point near a wall or corridor making it worse. Also, parrying and just stepping seems really easy to me, so I don't know what the deal is.

Top Bottom