• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

bobawesome

87 bazillion available party members, and they pick this thing.
Maybe her seiyuu was there, so they felt like they needed to pick her? lol

Go Lisbeth!

I'll never understand Silica apologists.

NPLfwbu.png

flight looks good, gameplay looks pretty bad.

It was fine for HF because that was more 'mmorpg' with slower methodical play, but it seems like they are try to map that into a more action oriented game, and it just doesn't seem to feel right.

No impact from hits is not good. Doesn't seem to have any sort of lockon either, which could make flight fights a pain.

Anyone see any sword skills used? Skimming just see basic melee and spells.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ALO (the world in the anime) did not have weapon skills until a certain point in SAO II with an update (again in their world), there was a whole episode dedicated to that, and how Klein didn't want to use them because he considered them magic.

Corgi

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ALO (the world in the anime) did not have weapon skills until a certain point in SAO II with an update (again in their world), there was a whole episode dedicated to that, and how Klein didn't want to use them because he considered them magic.

well im 90% sure I saw sword skills in this game in the initial gameplay trailer/images.

And isn't this set well into SAOII territory?

well im 90% sure I saw sword skills in this game in the initial gameplay trailer/images.

And isn't this set well into SAOII territory?

Well SAO II SPOILERS:
Yuuki is still alive... In the game right
so I don't know. Could either be in between the anime's timeline, or just a completely separate timeline, an alternate world (which I am more inclined to believe).

Corgi

Banned
Well SAO II SPOILERS:
Yuuki is still alive... In the game right
so I don't know. Could either be in between the anime's timeline, or just a completely separate timeline, an alternate world (which I am more inclined to believe).

i mean... yuuki is in HF, so was sister and GirlButt. It's well establish this is all parallel universe stuff.

maouvin

Anyone see any sword skills used? Skimming just see basic melee and spells.

Kirito and Lis use some on the second fight (weapons flashing, auto sequence of attacks, etc). No menu popped up, though, and the HUD shows nothing that could represent what SS you're using, so I don't know how the player activates it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This most def looks like the engine that they used for Macross30. Esp the melee combat in the air and other things confirms it.

Looks good though and am sure it should help those who were unable to get into Hollow Fragment. Should be a good game overall.

Corgi

Banned
So watched some of it during lunch.

curious if you can do any of the timing oriented systems from HF in this (just dodge, parry, OSS, just attack etc).

The core combat animations actually look quite a bit worse than HF. Kirito doesn't have any of those flourishes with his attacks and the attack animations seem real stiff o_O

This really is an entirely different game. Is the game advertised as a 'sequel' to HF?

So watched some of it during lunch.

curious if you can do any of the timing oriented systems from HF in this (just dodge, parry, OSS, just attack etc).

The core combat animations actually look quite a bit worse than HF. Kirito doesn't have any of those flourishes with his attacks and the attack animations seem real stiff o_O

This really is an entirely different game. Is the game advertised as a 'sequel' to HF?

Nope, Parakeet brought it to my attention once, there's an interview with the HF director and he even says this is its own thing, and he hopes to make an HF sequel one day.

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/13/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-producer-talks-future/

Producer Yosuke Futami previously stated that if Hollow Fragment sold over 200,000 copies, they would work on a sequel; however, in the interview they state that Lost Song isn’t a sequel, but a completely new title, which basically means a sequel for Hollow Fragment will be made, if it isn’t already in development.

Parakeetman

Kirito and Lis use some on the second fight (weapons flashing, auto sequence of attacks, etc). No menu popped up, though, and the HUD shows nothing that could represent what SS you're using, so I don't know how the player activates it.

Sword Skills are used with the button hotkeys which are visible along with the directional key ones. Though no idea which does which as they have yet to explain those in more details.

But it most def seems that there are button hotkeys.

Corgi

Banned
Might be just me or does the UI look mighty small and barren for something thats targeting a TV you sit pretty far away? The UI is like scaled for my monitor which would be quite small for couch :p

I do hope there are UI settings that lets you have hp/mp/stamina numbers, and keep the skill UI up for cooldowns etc (if there are any, can't tell)

Parakeetman

It sounds like in that gameplay video at around 32 minutes in, he mentions cross save data. Wasn't listening too closely but I think it means it has Cross save? Someone else, feel free to check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&x-yt-cl=85114404&v=HKDDfKHfjJU#t=32m

Might have been me mishearing things though. (Sure it was cross save data wo dekimasu or something)

edit: also lol at the trophy for dying.

yeah he said that so theres our confirmation

stupid bannam has not put it up yet

deanote666

20-30 hours of story...

So, that means I will only get 100 hours out of it instead of 250 hours...?

With any character being playable, I hope the story hasn't been diluted to allow for any character to be present but they did mention character episodes so who knows.

Love that King of the Hill meme, btw!

Stuart444

20-30 hours of story...

So, that means I will only get 100 hours out of it instead of 250 hours...?

With any character being playable, I hope the story hasn't been diluted to allow for any character to be present but they did mention character episodes so who knows.

Love that King of the Hill meme, btw!

Main story quests will likely be Kirito-focused. Speculation here but either they will have cutscenes for anyone who is with you or you'll have to take certain people for certain story quests (or if you take anyone, the cutscene(s) will only include Kirito)

Character episodes will probably allow you to take control of others for some story scenes that is independent of the main story.

I'm kinda looking forward to that actually. :D

looks like multiplayer will also have a 4 vs 4 mode too.

They seem to be putting quite a lot of care into the mp component of this game. I mean it makes sense, this being a game based on an MMO, and having "Online" on the title aha. Looking forward to it, hopefully me importing the game won't cause any issues with the online. Pls Bamco, don't put a goddamn online pass on the game.

Parakeetman

They seem to be putting quite a lot of care into the mp component of this game. I mean it makes sense, this being a game based on an MMO, and having "Online" on the title aha. Looking forward to it, hopefully me importing the game won't cause any issues with the online. Pls Bamco, don't put a goddamn online pass on the game.

dont think they would do an online pass seeing how god eater 2 and gundam breaker 2 did not have one. they know also barriers like that kinda kill online communities.

if anything there might be a regional one due to how patching would work but we will not know for certain until the game is out unfortunately.

dont think anyone here has used online passes in a while.

do think they added h2h mp since it fits with the alo theme where the game was pvp centric in the story.

though doubt it will get much use domestically as most japanese gamers prefer coop to h2h

dont think they would do an online pass seeing how god eater 2 and gundam breaker 2 did not have one. they know also barriers like that kinda kill online communities.

if anything there might be a regional one due to how patching would work but we will not know for certain until the game is out unfortunately.

Mrgrgrgr. Damnit, if our Bamco would just give us a confirmation and release date,I would MAYBE be willing to wait for that to drop, spend way less money, and have a game that I can for sure play online with.

Mendax

Nope, Parakeet brought it to my attention once, there's an interview with the HF director and he even says this is its own thing, and he hopes to make an HF sequel one day.

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/13/sword-art-online-hollow-fragment-producer-talks-future/

How can this be "it's own thing" when it has Philia and Strea (original characters to Hollow Fragment) as returning characters?? Then there is also the fact that the HF/IM story goes straight into ALO towards the end and has one ending that literally ends within the ALO world (ALO being the setting of Lost Song..).

I think that either the guy in the interview is messing with us or there is an actual direct sequel being made that takes place between Hollow Fragment and Lost Song that features an alternate version of the fairy dance & caliber arcs.
(that would be awesome)

Parakeetman

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/god-eater-2-rage-burst-sword-art-online-lost-song-crossover-costume-dlc

God Eater 2: Rage Burst and Sword Art Online: Lost Song will have crossover costume downloadable content, this week’s issue of Famitsu reveals.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst‘s content comes in the form of Gun Gale Online-style Kirito and Sinon costumes for your character.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song‘s content comes in the form of a Julius outfit for Kirito and Alisa outfit for Asuna.

Both sets of additional content are planned for release in spring, which means we might see their debut at Dengeki’s March 15 event. It appears there may be more to the collaboration not restricted to within the game, as well.

Outside of this, the magazine confirms Agil will be playable in Sword Art Online: Lost Song. Eugene and Recon also appear, but they’re not playable.

How can this be "it's own thing" when it has Philia and Strea (original characters to Hollow Fragment) as returning characters?? Then there is also the fact that the HF/IM story goes straight into ALO towards the end and has one ending that literally ends within the ALO world (ALO being the setting of Lost Song..).

I think that either the guy in the interview is messing with us or there is an actual direct sequel being made that takes place between Hollow Fragment and Lost Song that features an alternate version of the fairy dance & caliber arcs.
(that would be awesome)

Whatever the Director/Producer says is what goes right lol. I wouldn't think too much of it, other than this ALO game will have a certain style of gameplay, while HF2 will most likely go back to what the original was like.

I am cry. Just announce these 2 over here already Bamco :'(

Parakeetman

(that would be awesome)

Plot wise it "might" "might not" be connected, though gameplay wise most def it is not a continuation to hollow fragment as its a totally different team.

Corgi

Banned
Its more akin to a sequel back in the old nes/snes days that could be entirely different genres :p

although it being a new team, they should make their own game specific waifus and leave philia and strea alone.

Parakeetman

any info if we can just make our own character in this?

Since the game still will be a story centered around Kirito and not you. Just like the past title and if there is any sort of "customization" it would be similar to facial and hair features thats about it. Well the voice choices too if they toss that in.

But story wise its still a plot centered around Kirito.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song - Gameplay Trailer #3 [English] (PS3, PS Vita): http://youtu.be/hWsvDLHqMeM

Subs are looking fine this time around aha.

One tiny problem with the translations is they are using 攻略 = raiding which is incorrect, the reason for that being is a Raid is a Raid as with MMO terms. You can see it at around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWsvDLHqMeM#t=71 or from the 1:11 mark. Something along the lines of conquering etc would have been better. As the term raid itself with the games setting would more have to do with a large number of characters going up against what usually ends with a fight against a single target at the end.

Very small issue but one thats important to keep the terms correct. At least they still have time to make adjustments and do understand that the term itself is a pain in the ass one to make sound good / not overly aggressive / negative etc.

Corgi

Banned
story stuff for sure, but with how big of an emphasis on mp, and playing as other characters... wonder if there will be peace walker style side missions that you can use whomever, while the main story missions are kirito only?

Parakeetman

story stuff for sure, but with how big of an emphasis on mp, and playing as other characters... wonder if there will be peace walker style side missions that you can use whomever, while the main story missions are kirito only?

Looking at the video if you watched it that is, apparently it does appear that people are using the other story characters. Though there have not been any real details released yet in regards to the co-op stuff about character selection and such.

Will have to look at tomorrows Dengeki / Famitsu. Though forget if its this week or next for Dengeki since its like every 2 weeks.

Could be just appearances are changed but inventory / stats etc are the same. Though we will not know for sure until more details are released.

deanote666

Sword Art Online: Lost Song - Gameplay Trailer #3 [English] (PS3, PS Vita): http://youtu.be/hWsvDLHqMeM

Subs are looking fine this time around aha.

Klein using magic!? Where's his broken katana?

Looking at the video if you watched it that is, apparently it does appear that people are using the other story characters. Though there have not been any real details released yet in regards to the co-op stuff about character selection and such.

cad-20040521-f5ea1.jpg

Stuart444

So I've decided to buy the Vita version of Lost Song. So hyped for it :D.

Also I lol'd a bit at the Community thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

Sword Art Online - Last Song

This is our last song, RIP >_>

edit: also I'm probably an idiot. Just pre-ordered the Vita LE of LS. I have no self control ;_;

March is the month my wallet dies brutally I think.

And more on topic of HF, I'm going to play a bit of the English version just now, didn't play it for a bit due to other games (plus the patch wasn't up at that point) but thought I might as well play a bit now since I don't have anything better to do atm.

Parakeetman

So I've decided to buy the Vita version of Lost Song. So hyped for it :D.

Also I lol'd a bit at the Community thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

This is our last song, RIP >_>

edit: also I'm probably an idiot. Just pre-ordered the Vita LE of LS. I have no self control ;_;

March is the month my wallet dies brutally I think.

And more on topic of HF, I'm going to play a bit of the English version just now, didn't play it for a bit due to other games (plus the patch wasn't up at that point) but thought I might as well play a bit now since I don't have anything better to do atm.

I bet that was due to me typing on my mobile at the time since I know Nem just copies stuff over to make sure nothing goes wrong with titles. Ill contact him and have the fixes made lol

Stuart444

I bet that was due to me typing on my mobile at the time since I know Nem just copies stuff over to make sure nothing goes wrong with titles. Ill contact him and have the fixes made lol

Haha, it's not actually a bad idea for a subtitle just like Lost Song isn't a a bad idea for a subtitle. Actually rolls off the tongue nicely.

Haha, it's not actually a bad idea for a subtitle just like Lost Song isn't a a bad idea for a subtitle. Actually rolls off the tongue nicely.

I feel like lAst song rolls off the tongue a lot easier than lOst song for some reason lol. It's understandable if someone mixes the two up aha.

Parakeetman

The thing with the title is that it actually ties into the story. Think one of the latest trailers went slightly into that and gives the player a small idea of why the subtitle is Lost Song.

Oh yeah nothing really too useful in the latest dengeki so not quite too sure when the next info dump may be as they are running out of time as with how dengeki publishes every 2 weeks. Famitsu did not feature anything at all on the title. Not surprising that Dengeki pushes it more since the SAO IP is part of the umbrella dengeki belongs to.

Stuart444

The thing with the title is that it actually ties into the story. Think one of the latest trailers went slightly into that and gives the player a small idea of why the subtitle is Lost Song.

Oh yeah nothing really too useful in the latest dengeki so not quite too sure when the next info dump may be as they are running out of time as with how dengeki publishes every 2 weeks. Famitsu did not feature anything at all on the title. Not surprising that Dengeki pushes it more since the SAO IP is part of the umbrella dengeki belongs to.

I know, I meant that Last Song would be a good subtitle if the game was about something like that.

I'd expect a big info blowout soon. I mean SAOLS is out March 26th so I imagine by the first Dengeki in March at the very latest.

Parakeetman

I know, I meant that Last Song would be a good subtitle if the game was about something like that.

I'd expect a big info blowout soon. I mean SAOLS is out March 26th so I imagine by the first Dengeki in March at the very latest.

They really need to ramp up the hype ahead of time since the game will be literally going toe to toe with bloodborne and I can imagine a fuckton of space will be going to that title in various media outlets.

BanNam should already have dropped more info to get all the fans on board from Hollow Fragment. Since they will be the ones who will spread the good word as the Magazines are a fucking warzone that month when it comes to space / title releases. Even this month too for some things.

Parakeetman

New info

The latest set of Sword Art Online: Lost Song screenshots showcase new playable character Agil, characters Recon and Eugene, a new island on Svart ALfheim, and new event scenes.

Here’s a rundown of what you’ll see:

Agil - An old friend of Kirito and Klein’s from Sword Art Online, now available as a playable character. He is of the Gnome race and uses a two-handed ax in battle.

Recon - Also known as Nagata Shinichi in the real world, he is a friend of Leafa’s. He is of the the same Sylph race as Leafa and specializes in magic.

Eugene - Head of the Salamander army in ALfheim Online. He is one of the game’s best players, and is the sole possessor of the legendary “Demonic Sword Gram” weapon.

Svart ALfheim’s Third Island - The third island of Svart ALfheim, also known as the “Annular Iceberg Frost Hilde,” features a sweeping snowstorm blocking adventurers’ paths.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song is due out for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita in Japan on March 26.

Click the link to see the screenshots at Gematsu.
http://gematsu.com/2015/02/sword-art-online-lost-song-screenshots-show-agil-snowy-island

This is almost exactly like Macross 30 in the sense that there are various enviro types for the games contained "open world" sections. Truthfully they really could not have picked a more fitting engine / team to work on a game based on ALO.

Little over a month till it is out over there. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one Parakeet, I'm placing a lot of faith in this game just like I did for Hollow Fragment when I imported the Asian copy on day 1. I'm starting to warm up to the fact that it is more action based, with a lot more freedom of movement. It will definitely feel like a different game, and that alone seems very enticing to me aha. As a fan of the show, I also can't wait to see the characters again.
Japan gimme an SAO III anime soon please and thank you.

Parakeetman

Little over a month till it is out over there. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one Parakeet, I'm placing a lot of faith in this game just like I did for Hollow Fragment when I imported the Asian copy on day 1. I'm starting to warm up to the fact that it is more action based, with a lot more freedom of movement. It will definitely feel like a different game, and that alone seems very enticing to me aha. As a fan of the show, I also can't wait to see the characters again.
Japan gimme an SAO III anime soon please and thank you.

Since Im fairly certain what the general mechanics will be like, Ill be focusing on things to do with the actual world itself and its design.

Am curious too if there will be random NPCs flying around also. Similar to how in HF there were random NPCs doing their own thing, even if it was preset routes that they would traverse on a schedule. Considering that in Macross 30 they managed to have friendly non-party AI flying around in certain locations I would imagine so. But will have to see. How populated the world is with enemies / NPC will make the experience better or worse. As if its under populated it will feel like too much open space that is wasted. Which was one slight problem Macross 30 had. As in general enemies stayed around specific locations. Or ones that would wander further out were small in numbers.

Next would also be checking just how much will the game be reliant on the players level vs target. If it is like Macross 30, while it is possible to kill stronger targets, it takes quite some time to do so.

Then the transitions with dungeons, if the design is similar entrance points will be "loading zones" to the dungeon themselves. As since we are still working with PS3 / PSV hardware do not think they want to overload the engine with having a fully included seamless overworld to dungeon type of system. So most def I would lean towards zone entrances on the overworld. But that should not be too bad considering HF was similar.

Overall though I do believe we can expect a good product and will be nice to have another game to get lost in for a while. The ability to use the other characters also greatly adds to the potential fun too. One thing I wonder about though is if we still will have all sorts of various weapons to choose from? Or if now the different styles just = who you are using in your PT. As that has not really been discussed I think.

Since Im fairly certain what the general mechanics will be like, Ill be focusing on things to do with the actual world itself and its design.

Am curious too if there will be random NPCs flying around also. Similar to how in HF there were random NPCs doing their own thing, even if it was preset routes that they would traverse on a schedule. Considering that in Macross 30 they managed to have friendly non-party AI flying around in certain locations I would imagine so. But will have to see. How populated the world is with enemies / NPC will make the experience better or worse. As if its under populated it will feel like too much open space that is wasted. Which was one slight problem Macross 30 had. As in general enemies stayed around specific locations. Or ones that would wander further out were small in numbers.

Next would also be checking just how much will the game be reliant on the players level vs target. If it is like Macross 30, while it is possible to kill stronger targets, it takes quite some time to do so.

Then the transitions with dungeons, if the design is similar entrance points will be "loading zones" to the dungeon themselves. As since we are still working with PS3 / PSV hardware do not think they want to overload the engine with having a fully included seamless overworld to dungeon type of system. So most def I would lean towards zone entrances on the overworld. But that should not be too bad considering HF was similar.

Overall though I do believe we can expect a good product and will be nice to have another game to get lost in for a while. The ability to use the other characters also greatly adds to the potential fun too. One thing I wonder about though is if we still will have all sorts of various weapons to choose from? Or if now the different styles just = who you are using in your PT. As that has not really been discussed I think.

If they manage to do that, NPCs flying around and whatnot, that would be pretty impressive and would add to the immersion quite a bit. I loved seeing NPCs doing their own thing in HF aha.

Keep us in the loop if Dengeki or Famitsu reveal some more details. These are things that they should clarify before the game's release, I hope they aren't expecting that the game will do well based on HF (which it probably will but still).

"English version coming may 2015"
Oh shit I didn't knew this was being localized! And so soon

I'm gonna have to start visiting this thread more often :D

I already preordered my copy on P-A with the fastest shipping option, if I got a release confirmation from Bamco here, physical, I'd be willing to wait. But much like last year, I'd rather get my game for my birthday (just like HF that released in May as well ehe)

Stuart444

"English version coming may 2015"
Oh shit I didn't knew this was being localized! And so soon

I'm gonna have to start visiting this thread more often :D

Technically it's not a proper localization yet, it's just the Asian english version :) not an NA/EU version just to avoid confusion. The proper NA/EU release should happen later this year (HF sold so well that it's very unlikely for them to not bring LS out in the west)

Also Agil being playable, is that new? Didn't know that, awesome :D.

Parakeetman

aside from bad translation, is SAO worth the discounted price? I like the anime upto 13th eps or something.

from there the story goes on its own route and the gameplay is pretty solid once you get a grasp of the mechanics. though there is a lot to learn so get ready for that.

Top Bottom