• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So you go from careful management to skill spamming god? That'll make the game easier but totally ruins the balance that a lot of people loved in the Vita version. Lowers the skill level involved....

Also anyone's download start at 9.8GB then they look away and suddenly it says it only needs to download 3.570GB?

Apparently sword skills are now officially on CD.

Hikami

So you go from careful management to skill spamming god? That'll make the game easier but totally ruins the balance that a lot of people loved in the Vita version. Lowers the skill level involved....

It's the opposite actually. Sword skills have cooldowns now so you can't spam them.
On the Vita you could just like Esoteric skill > SP regen skill > Esoteric skill > SP regen skill and so on.

Seems more balanced to me now.

Man, the background download for this is going super slow for me. Can't even get into the game now after turning it off. Anyone else have that issue?

Is this the type of game that you need tof partner up to progress at certain points or is it something I could go through in single player with no problem?

I don't know anyone else who would buy this game and if I get it it won't be for a couple months.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It's the opposite actually. Sword skills have cooldowns now so you can't spam them.
On the Vita you could just like Esoteric skill > SP regen skill > Esoteric skill > SP regen skill and so on.

Seems more balanced to me now.

That sucks, since honestly game was pretty balanced as is. If anything they made it too "casul" with all of the changes lol.

Teknoman

Is this the type of game that you need tof partner up to progress at certain points or is it something I could go through in single player with no problem?

I don't know anyone else who would buy this game and if I get it it won't be for a couple months.

Single player is the aim of the game, the online co-op missions just seem like a nice side dish.

Stuart444

It's an SP game with MP components. the whole story stuff is all offline.

So yes you can play it all yourself, no need to partner up with anyone. Even the MP mode should have NPC AIs if you want to try it out.

BerserkerX2

Neo Member
New to this game does anyone know how to switch weapons? I wanna use a spear. I just reached the part where Lis opens up a new shop.

Teknoman

From what i've read and heard from others, it seems like it'll be best to play SP a good chunk, then jump into MP, rinse/repeat.

But considering there really arent that many co-op rpg games on PS4 aside from...Diablo 3 and Toukiden(sorta) at the moment, Sword Art seems to fit the bill, especially if there are a ton of mp missions.

Hikami

New to this game does anyone know how to switch weapons? I wanna use a spear. I just reached the part where Lis opens up a new shop.
Open up the menu (slide down on the touchpad.. or press triangle I think? maybe its options idk. i find using the touchpad quicker) then go to equipment and select the weapon slot.

Stuart444

From what i've read and heard from others, it seems like it'll be best to play SP a good chunk, then jump into MP, rinse/repeat.

But considering there really arent that many co-op rpg games on PS4 aside from...Diablo 3 and Toukiden(sorta) at the moment, Sword Art seems to fit the bill, especially if there are a ton of mp missions.

Feel free to use MP with AI characters (ie AI Asuna, Sinon, Silica, etc) early on. If it's like the original version, the levels for everyone carry over to SP mode.

Pundere

Should I check this out if I hated the characters/story/writing of SAO but liked the premise and world? I'm in the market for a jrpg and $20 isn't that much.

Parakeetman

Should I check this out if I hated the characters/story/writing of SAO but liked the premise and world? I'm in the market for a jrpg and $20 isn't that much.

If you read the FAQ in the OT you would pretty much have an answer there.

Teknoman

Downloading now. Definitely in for SP being a "new" JRPG for PS4, but also gonna try not to miss the MP boat like I did with Freedom Wars lol.

You'd think there would be enough fans to want to have unlocked rooms, especially if BN saw fit to bring the game over and this early on.

Hikami

To zoom the camera in/out you Hold R2 and move the right stick up or down.
Been trying to figure this out for a while since it wasn't the same as the Vita.

Now does L2 even do anything?

Okay, I haven't watched Sword Art in a while... how many waifus does Kirito have? All these girls nagging him and being all jealous of other girls he bumps into is so cringe-worthy lol.

Teknoman

Thats the only thing that gets me about some of modern anime/modern anime style games, the harems are a little too common now.

Thats the only thing that gets me about some of modern anime/modern anime style games, the harems are a little too common now.

Harem's suck when you have the main character who is too much of a pussy to hook up with any of the girls.

But I suppose if he actually did it would end up like that infamous anime School Days

Hikami

How difficult is the platinum for this game?
The trophies seem to be the same as the vita version so.. very difficult. Not sure if they lessened any requirements for implements and such though. But if it's the same as the Vita version then like 100+ hours to platinum, there's a lot of stuff you'd have to grind.
There are a lot of miss-able trophies too that you'd have to start all over if you miss them, since the game autosaves.

Stuart444

Harem's suck when you have the main character who is too much of a pussy to hook up with any of the girls.

But I suppose if he actually did it would end up like that infamous anime School Days

Kirito technically has already hooked up with someone. >.> doesn't mean the other girls can't want him of course but unlike some harems, Kirito is taken.

Impressions after a couple hours--

Avatar creation is neat, has enough options, and you can change you look at any time mid-game.
Harem members literally falling from the sky. Do the writers have no sense of irony?
Combat is incredibly confusing at the very start. It doesn't explain basic stuff through the first dungeon. (Difficulty is low, though)
At $20 this seems like an incredibly good deal. Almost too good. Is there some hidden catch? Other than being stuck with Kirito, of course.
Dear god the font is tiny.
Continuous autosave is lame for a JRPG but appropriate for this game's specific setting.

The trophies seem to be the same as the vita version so.. very difficult. Not sure if they lessened any requirements for implements and such though. But if it's the same as the Vita version then like 100+ hours to platinum, there's a lot of stuff you'd have to grind.
There are a lot of miss-able trophies too that you'd have to start all over if you miss them, since the game autosaves.
Difficult in terms of how long it takes to get it? I don't mind lengthy playthroughs. I've platimumed plenty of those types.

Hikami

Difficult in terms of how long it takes to get it? I don't mind lengthy playthroughs. I've platimumed plenty of those types.
Well yeah, if length isn't a problem then it's alright.
Just have to watch out for the miss-able trophies, some of those can be difficult to get.

for example, you have to get all last-hit bonuses from the floor bosses. (You have to be the last person to hit the boss)
If you don't get the last hit, you'll have to close the game out so it won't auto save and do the boss battle again.

Parakeetman

Impressions after a couple hours--

Avatar creation is neat, has enough options, and you can change you look at any time mid-game.
Harem members literally falling from the sky. Do the writers have no sense of irony?
Combat is incredibly confusing at the very start. It doesn't explain basic stuff through the first dungeon. (Difficulty is low, though)
At $20 this seems like an incredibly good deal. Almost too good. Is there some hidden catch? Other than being stuck with Kirito, of course.
Dear god the font is tiny.
Continuous autosave is lame for a JRPG but appropriate for this game's specific setting.

Actually the autosaving can be used to your advantage. Just switch areas when you want to save anything you have found. Otherwise cry tears of regret when you die from being too overconfident losing everything lol

Xenus

Did they totally gate you off from the high level monsters in the hollow fragment tutorial if so that's lame.... I guess I should stop trying to find a way around it and move on

The online lobbies are really confusing. I keep getting into a room and people don't seem to know how to get together and start a quest. You teleport to the Addministration room, then you gotta teleport again from there? Doesn't really tell you where to teleport to.

Flandy

So how's the female avatar handled? I made one and only got to do the initial tutorial before stopping. Might just start over as Male because it seems to be designed around that
Didn't seem particularly robust. Didn't see any hair options and female has the same figure as male :lol

Stuart444

The online lobbies are really confusing. I keep getting into a room and people don't seem to know how to get together and start a quest. You teleport to the Addministration room, then you gotta teleport again from there? Doesn't really tell you where to teleport to.

Look at the video above, shows that once you have the quest chosen, use the map, find where the quest is and teleport to the nearest area to get to it.

So how's the female avatar handled? I made one and only got to do the initial tutorial before stopping. Might just start over as Male because it seems to be designed around that

in SP, you are Kirito, no matter what you look like. The avatar is more to make you distinct, especially within MP mode.

Flandy

Look at the video above, shows that once you have the quest chosen, use the map, find where the quest is and teleport to the nearest area to get to it.

in SP, you are Kirito, no matter what you look like. The avatar is more to make you distinct, especially within MP mode.

But the female avatar looks exactly the same other than animations

Do you like yuri?

thrive on it :p

Teknoman

I guess that means there is voice chat if people are actually talking about not knowing what to do :p

Xenus

I'm bitter they locked off the 100+ lvl NM orcs in the tutorial with some stupid yellow gate. No weapons chests either....

Top Bottom