• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Has anyone else had their game crash to desktop during the fight with the first minigun guy? Like halfway through the fight my game has just crashed three times in a row and I'm not sure if anything specific is triggering it.

Edit: On the plus side, the Steam Overlay has randomly started working with this game. I didn't even have to add Origin as a non-Steam game.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Am I wrong in thinking that this is the perfect Steam bargain bin title? I look at this game and immediately think, "Can't wait to pick this up during the inevitable $5-$10 sale."

Not shitting on the game, just giving my thoughts as I have yet to play it. Ever since someone compared it to F.E.A.R. in terms of combat, I've been wanting to give this one a shot. Too bad there are so many negative opinions ITT.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Am I wrong in thinking that this is the perfect Steam bargain bin title? I look at this game and immediately think, "Can't wait to pick this up during the inevitable $5-$10 sale."

Not shitting on the game, just giving my thoughts as I have yet to play it. Ever since someone compared it to F.E.A.R. in terms of combat, I've been wanting to give this one a shot. Too bad there are so many negative opinions ITT.

LOL. Yea. No.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Oh man, started doing a lot better in coop when I got the ACR fully upgraded with its penetration abilities. Single shot for life!

Played with Dave1988 and Raul_Atreides in our PS3 Syndicate tonight. Lots of fun but I got my ass completely handed to me when we tried expert since my character is still pretty low level. Still, I had a lot of fun and hope to play with the GAF Syndicate again soon, if they're willing to have me after my performance tonight.
KuGsj.gif
I need to stick with normal for a while.

Yeah that was fun! Expert is an eye opener for me, after playing mostly normal for the past week. Playing with Dave is crazy though; that dude does not die.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, this game is pretty bad as a SP game.
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm simply not finding it engaging at all. It looks great and I like the premise, but the story telling is terrible and the mission design uninteresting. This could have been so much more.

Really would have loved them to take more of a Deus Ex Lite approach here.

You can definitely tell that the Starbreeze of old is no more.

LOL. Yea. No.

Why not? I can't think of a single game that feels closer to the combat in FEAR than this. Similar variety of weapons, bullet time, aggressive ai that tries to flank you and also a similar mix of enemies with both normal and mini-boss enemies using special weapons. Syndicate may not have as impressive encounter design as FEAR, but they definitely share a lot in terms of combat.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Oh man, started doing a lot better in coop when I got the ACR fully upgraded with its penetration abilities. Single shot for life!

Yeah that was fun! Expert is an eye opener for me, after playing mostly normal for the past week. Playing with Dave is crazy though; that dude does not die.

Expert + New England= HELL!!!!

I found the first boss pretty god damn hard. The bosses past that I've found pretty easy.

Yeah, I felt that way too. I died a number of times on the first boss. The subsequent fights have been really easy.

Overall, I think this game is quite difficult sometimes. If you're not paying attention or using everything you have, the enemies will drop you really quickly. Having a blast with it, though.

Zeliard

This is one of the most visually appalling games I've played. It's a blurry hideous mess with the most egregious use of bloom I think I've ever seen. Eurogamer interview is pretty hilarious as well. Choice quotes:

Whatever remains of Starbreeze said:
"So a lot of people playing this game would probably have heard of the original Syndicate but not necessarily have played it. Obviously we get asked a lot about the reaction of fans of the original to us taking it into first-person direction. But we have to maintain that was the right decision."

"Why remake that classic in its original form when it's still out there? So with a whole new audience and tastes in video games, and a whole new suite of platforms to develop for, the game we made was the right choice."

"So, absolutely, it was quite a bit of pressure to live up to those expectations. We knew that we really couldn't do that. Unless we made it into an RTS they would not be happy. But if we had made it an RTS we would have made only those people happy."

"They might have heard of it, but most people haven't played it," he said. "We wanted to cater to those people also, to everyone. I'd rather make a really good game for our players and make them really enjoy it, than just make a copy of an old game with updated graphics. That's not that super fun for either the end user or us. That game already exists."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-27-ea-syndicate-reboot-as-fps-the-right-choice

They didn't want to properly remake Syndicate in its original genre (which was more RTT than RTS), because that game already exists, so what they did was make a generic linear FPS. Because those games don't exist. The interview also amusingly notes that the only successful part of this game - the co-op - was basically an afterthought.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They didn't want to properly remake Syndicate in its original genre (which was more RTT than RTS), because that game already exists, so what they did was make a generic linear FPS. Because those games don't exist. The interview also amusingly notes that the only successful part of this game - the co-op - was basically an afterthought.

I find that funny, because the co-op is THE GAME. The single player is short and forgettable.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why not? I can't think of a single game that feels closer to the combat in FEAR than this. Similar variety of weapons, bullet time, aggressive ai that tries to flank you and also a similar mix of enemies with both normal and mini-boss enemies using special weapons. Syndicate may not have as impressive encounter design as FEAR, but they definitely share a lot in terms of combat.

The weapons have no punch (IE the enemies are bullet sponges), there is no environmental interaction with the gunplay (ie debris, sparks, smoke etc...), enemy AI is completely braindead. It's nothing like FEAR beyond having Slow-Mo, which a billion games have.

I have no issue turning Syndicate into an FPS. My issue is they turned it into a bad FPS (specifically talking about the single player campaign here.)

The weapons have no punch (IE the enemies are bullet sponges), there is no environmental interaction with the gunplay (ie debris, sparks, smoke etc...), enemy AI is completely braindead. It's nothing like FEAR beyond having Slow-Mo, which a billion games have.

The only braindead enemies I can think of in the game are the big guys with miniguns, the normal enemies continuously try to advance and flank the player, they also use cover when available and blindfire over it. I'd say that their ai is better than most games out there right now.

Must also disagree with you about the weapons, sure the bosses reaction to gunfire is severely lacking, but for the normal enemies I think it's great. Up close the shotguns will send limbs flying, minigun tears people apart and getting headshots with the assault rifle (semi-auto) was also very satisfying. Weapon sounds are also very good throughout the game which at least made me feel like I was firing something powerful.

foxdvd

Reading through this thread I'm kind of confused about Jeff's Giant Bomb review. Doesn't sound like a 5/5?

If you have a good group, going on fun factor alone I could see some giving it a 5/5..

Having finished the single player, and putting about 5 hours so far in coop I personally think it is an 8 out of 10..Single player on Hard was not long enough, and even though the coop has a lot of replay value, I wish there was a bit more.

The electron mace fully powered is unstoppable...my god I love it.

It's almost unfair. Same thing with Coil rifle. I'm really curious about Mjolnir. My favorite is a three-way tie between the upgraded Pistol, Sniper Rifle and TAR. Headshots from across the map? No problem!

I'm almost done with the co-op weapons and Apps, just some challenges left.
Our syndicate is #4, we were #2 but some people didn't play over the weekend.

This is a lot of fun--but the SP is dull and boring. Having beaten everything on Expert in Co-op, it feels pretty easy. I just started using the pistol wherever I could. I think if they added some new DLC co-op maps, this would be something I keep playing.

Between this and Mass Effect 3, I've finally found something that replaces R2/Borderlands as my co-op shooter.

If this is just single-player, then stop playing that and go play co-op.

For co-op, I disagree with you about the weapons, the enviromental interaction I do agree (mainly just the turrets you have to disarm, there's only one section where you can make a Tanker blow up, but the enemies are dead already.

I didn't think the A.I. was that bad, especially on Expert. They chase, go intangible, rush when you're low on health, actively pursue flankers, etc. It's not perfect, but it's not laughable. At least in Co-op.

Expert + New England= HELL!!!!

I thought the same thing until on our second try, we killed Fawkes first, and that was that. Same thing with the other Levels, soon as you down the lead, the others fall like dominoes.

The SP surprised me with how good it was considering they never showed it off and reviews trashed it. I had the lowest expectations and enjoyed it more than say, BF3's single player. That said, it's certainly not the reason to buy this game.

Is anyone else getting chip rip glitches in mp? I'll rip like 2 guys and come up with nothing. Sometimes I swear I've not ripped anyone and get a chip anyways.

pakkit

Banned
The SP surprised me with how good it was considering they never showed it off and reviews trashed it. I had the lowest expectations and enjoyed it more than say, BF3's single player. That said, it's certainly not the reason to buy this game.

That's the shocker for me. Starbreeze has been a studio built around single-player experiences and narrative innovation up until this point. I was excited to see their angle on a rich cyberpunk universe, but instead the focus has switched over to the L4D-esque co-op play.

That's the shocker for me. Starbreeze has been a studio built around single-player experiences and narrative innovation up until this point. I was excited to see their angle on a rich cyberpunk universe, but instead the focus has switched over to the L4D-esque co-op play.
As others have mentioned the Starbreeze that made this game (or at least finished it) is not the same Starbreeze that made Riddick and Darkness.

pakkit

Banned
As others have mentioned the Starbreeze that made this game (or at least finished it) is not the same Starbreeze that made Riddick and Darkness.

I'm aware, but plenty of developers go through huge staff changes and still manage to retain their design philosophy and central core. E.g. Retro Studios and their art team, Volition Software and their focus on destructibility and action, Monolith Software and their FPS focus and humorous angle

frontieruk

That menu blur annoying you? Good news my PC buddies.

In the cfg

Set
XR-GRAIN to 0 to get rid of the blur!

So it should read XR_GRAIN=0

Changing the setting xr_motionblur-dof to 0 makes the background sharp.

I'm aware, but plenty of developers go through huge staff changes and still manage to retain their design philosophy and central core. E.g. Retro Studios and their art team, Volition Software and their focus on destructibility and action, Monolith Software and their FPS focus and humorous angle
Yeah that's true. It is a strange game coming from them that's for sure.

Saty

EA guy said:
"Why remake that classic in its original form when it's still out there? So with a whole new audience and tastes in video games, and a whole new suite of platforms to develop for, the game we made was the right choice."

Starbreeze guy said:
"They might have heard of it, but most people haven't played it," he said. "We wanted to cater to those people also, to everyone. I'd rather make a really good game for our players and make them really enjoy it, than just make a copy of an old game with updated graphics. That's not that super fun for either the end user or us. That game already exists."
The lengths they'll go to try and justify the genre switch is astounding. Just say that's the way you chose and shut up. Don't try to make up some ridiculous reason for it. Why make a RTS Syndicate game when's there a 20-years old game available? REALLY? Graphic update is all you could come up with as why make a new one? Hey you, go get your fix playing a 20 years old game if you want RTS. Heck, why does anyone make more than one game in each genre - we can only offer better gfx. Go play those.

EA canceling MOH:Warfighter, BF4, Dead Space 3 CONFIRMED. Sequels? Building on prior foundations? Pft, those games already exist.

I gotta say that i'll have little reservations about being 'contented' when Syndicate fails commercially. The game retains little of the original; is proving to be mediocre at best at what it does do; will discourage using only the name of established franchise and will be used as an example when ever such genre switches are made in order to 'reach wider audience' or 'the only way to afford a game in that IP is by reenvisioning it in the form of the current popular genre'.

Has anyone else had their game crash to desktop during the fight with the first minigun guy? Like halfway through the fight my game has just crashed three times in a row and I'm not sure if anything specific is triggering it.

Edit: On the plus side, the Steam Overlay has randomly started working with this game. I didn't even have to add Origin as a non-Steam game.

I did have one CTD here (my only one so far) but it was fine the second time. Might be an issue with that fight?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reading through this thread I'm kind of confused about Jeff's Giant Bomb review. Doesn't sound like a 5/5?

If you look purely the shooting mechanics it makes total sense. Some of the best gunplay and adaptive combat this gen. It has some flaws but when shooting feels this good in an FPS, I can forgive a lot of little blemishes.

ctrayne

He's a big fan of the cyber punk look and feel and the co-op is awesome. I am surprised he liked the single player campaign as much as he did though.

That's kind of my stance of Syndicate. I love cyberpunk and will take what I can get, and the aesthetic/design, bloom aside, is fairly cool. This is the kind of game I just enjoy for what it is - you won't see me fawning over it like DX Human Revolution, and I understand and agree with a lot of the complaints lobbed at Syndicate. Nonetheless, I did enjoy it.

frontieruk

Bloom? We don't want no stinking BLOOM or at least a reduction of it...

one of these apparently works in your cfg...
C:\Users\<your acc>\Documents\Syndicate\environment.cfg

XR_FLARES 0
XR_ZFOG 0
XR_EFFECTMODELS 0

or

XR_FLARES=0
XR_ZFOG=0
XR_EFFECTMODELS=0

I've tried the first version and haven't been blinded yet.

He's a big fan of the cyber punk look and feel and the co-op is awesome. I am surprised he liked the single player campaign as much as he did though.

I also really dug the single player. Only kind of let down by the very very end, but still thought it was cool as hell. Replaying it again actually getting all the collectables and that.

Anyone else have issue with the controls? The actual aiming of the gun reminds me of Killzone 2, before it got patched. Even when moving the sliders in the controls up and down, it still doesn't feel particularly precise. Only when I have aim assist on does it feel like I can just snap to targets and shoot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, lots of locking up on load screens tonight in co-op on PS3. Never had this happen before. Weird. I'll try again later.

anyone want an executive pack code for 360 let me know and I'll PM you.

I don't care for golden guns and the rest of the stuff doesn't really sound too appealing. I'm sure one of the 58 people that bought this game in the world might be interested...

frontieruk

anyone want an executive pack code for 360 let me know and I'll PM you.

I don't care for golden guns and the rest of the stuff doesn't really sound too appealing. I'm sure one of the 58 people that bought this game in the world might be interested...

I'll trade you my code for it ;)

Drewfonse

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm simply not finding it engaging at all. It looks great and I like the premise, but the story telling is terrible and the mission design uninteresting. This could have been so much more.

Really would have loved them to take more of a Deus Ex Lite approach here.

You can definitely tell that the Starbreeze of old is no more.

Agreed, the Campaign is borderline terrible.

Gattsu25

Banned
Retro lost their art team?

Also, just finished reading the 1up article. Pretty interesting.

pmj

Finished single player on hard. I worried about getting stuck, but if anything I found it to be a bit on the easy side.

The campaign was a bit uneven, and often felt like wasted potential. Not that I didn't have a good time, because for the most part I did, but the weapons are so much fun to use that I frequently wished for larger sandboxes to use them in, and sometimes for a different game altogether. They made such huge strides with combat that a Riddick-like game using the improved engine could have been something really special.

The story was a letdown, but I liked Merit and thought the worldbuilding was interesting enough to read every entry in the codex. But man was the ending a letdown. I was waiting for the twist that seemed so obvious but never came.

As for favorite weapons, I especially loved both Kusanagis, the homing rifle, and the minigun. The minigun was ridiculous.

Top Bottom