• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

vazel

Banned
It seems GOG's default installation folder is now C:\GOG Games. This is probably to avoid conflicts some people were having when trying to load saves in some games when installed in the program files directory and with UAC enabled .

The game doesn't work for me.

Recently I decided to install it on my Laptop (Win 7). I changed settings and what not. The opening cut scene played, but when the game starts, the screen is just black.

I can hear my character move around and the audio worked fine, but the game screen was blank.

I press escape and the menu shows fine.

I thought it might be because I installed the old retail version. So I bought it off GoG.

Sadly, I am getting the same thing :(

DocSeuss

I promise I'll be updating the OP when I can. Yesterday, an... altercation at work required my intervention. Today, I appear to be running a fever and may or may not have revealed the contents of my lunch in my classroom's trash can.

Weird.
I was playing for about two hours.
Then the PC locks up. All I see is "Parity Error" and a black screen. I had to hit reset on the computer.

I read it has something to do with RAM. Dammit.

CTLance

Weird.
I was playing for about two hours.
Then the PC locks up. All I see is "Parity Error" and a black screen. I had to hit reset on the computer.
Parity Error? You have ECC capable RAM and chipset? Awesome.

If that indeed was your system indicating a RAM parity error you might want to have a closer look at your fans (overheating), re-seat your memory modules (eroded contact) or maybe run Windows' or memtest86's RAM check over night (hardware failure).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Can someone give me a vague hint about the location of the code hidden in the art terminals? I wasn't paying attention to the logs at the time so I'm probably way off where I should be looking. I believe I've explored all those areas where I could but I wasn't checking for the art so now it's hard to remember where I've checked. I wasted so much ammo going back and forth.

PaulloDEC

Just grabbed this on GOG, and I've gotta admit, I'm impressed by how non-janky it is. I picked up Thief 2 a week or two ago, and the jankiness of that game hit me like a ton of bricks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Just grabbed this on GOG, and I've gotta admit, I'm impressed by how non-janky it is. I picked up Thief 2 a week or two ago, and the jankiness of that game hit me like a ton of bricks.

I felt totally opposite. SS2 is extremely janky while Thief can be released as a modern game with few tweaks.

Bagu

Can someone give me a vague hint about the location of the code hidden in the art terminals? I wasn't paying attention to the logs at the time so I'm probably way off where I should be looking. I believe I've explored all those areas where I could but I wasn't checking for the art so now it's hard to remember where I've checked. I wasted so much ammo going back and forth.
The code is broken into four parts.

One should be close to the elevator
Another around the crew quarters.
Look around the shopping area
And the last is in the Mess/Dining Hall
Hope you're prepared.

FACE

Banned
So good. God tier UI.

iP0J90Z9XMU1O.gif

I found all but one or two and ended up bruteforcing the last bit.

Alexios

The code is broken into four parts.

One should be close to the elevator
Another around the crew quarters.
Look around the shopping area
And the last is in the Mess/Dining Hall
Hope you're prepared.
Thanks! I will try to get them later. Setting up the Thief games again atm.

Is there anything I should get outside tfix for TG and tafferpatcher for T2?

Have you ever watched someone play a game for the first time that you are familiar with?

Plenty of times, but I see what you're getting at. Perhaps the problem isn't with the playtesters themselves, but the developers completely uprooting mechanics or dumbing down concepts because playtesters don't instantly understand them. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth when a developer's first reaction to someone not grasping an idea is to remove the idea altogether, or at least vastly simplify it, rather than explain it better and ease the player into intricacies.

Edit:
this. Regular people always suck at games when they play them first time. I guess they didn't have much money for testers on SS2 and it shaped it. But when you see people getting frustrated and you know that you have to sell a couple of million copies to break even, there is no other way except to simplify mechanics. You can't gamble on your game being Dark Souls, too much money at the stake.

I'm aware of this, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I can appreciate games for what they are, but I still see the potential that a lot of these games fail to live up to in the name of sales figures and mass appeal. Like I said, I love BioShock, but I just think I'd like the game BioShock could've been even more. I know at the end of the day developers have to make back their investment, but it's disappointing when depth I and a lot of other people would really enjoy is often the first thing to get sacrificed in the process.

subversus

Have you ever watched someone play a game for the first time that you are familiar with?

this. Regular people always suck at games when they play them first time. I guess they didn't have much money for testers on SS2 and it shaped it. But when you see people getting frustrated and you know that you have to sell a couple of million copies to break even, there is no other way except to simplify mechanics. You can't gamble on your game being Dark Souls, too much money at the stake.

I posted this a while back but had no response. There's a bunch of games that are getting injectors to hack in support for the Oculus Rift. Does it seem even remotely feasible to do that to System Shock 2?

subversus

for a game praised for its unscripted, sim approach SS2 has too many scripted moments. Enter the room - return to the previous room with two hybrids walking around. Pick up stuff - prepare for a spawn of a hybrid. Enter another room - be ready for a hybrid and a robot to attack you from behind. So far it feels as scripted as Bioshock but in Bioshock these events were also orchestrated very well (see picking up the shotgun in Medical Pavillion, some moments at Port Frolic and Hefaestus level).

When I was running through this for the first time I didn't pay attention to this but on the second run I notice all these things. I even reloaded a couple of times to check if they spawn the way they spawn and yes, they do. Not that it's dissapointing but it's clearly a case of rose-tinted glass going when people talk about SS2. So far it has only one thing going over its "spiritual sequel" - less forgiving RPG system, higher difficulty and some systems which can be perceived as obtuse by some people like weapon degrading which most people tone down or turn off. I guess research chemicals fall into the same category. I haven't done any research on my first playthrough and I'm not doing any in this one but it's one system that is missing in Bioshock. I think they could actually keep it as it rewards exploration.

I posted this a while back but had no response. There's a bunch of games that are getting injectors to hack in support for the Oculus Rift. Does it seem even remotely feasible to do that to System Shock 2?

Are OR kits out in the wild? I thought they just shipped, it's too early to know if it's possible or not.

The game doesn't work for me.

Recently I decided to install it on my Laptop (Win 7). I changed settings and what not. The opening cut scene played, but when the game starts, the screen is just black.

I can hear my character move around and the audio worked fine, but the game screen was blank.

I press escape and the menu shows fine.

I thought it might be because I installed the old retail version. So I bought it off GoG.

Sadly, I am getting the same thing :(

It may be because your lap top is set to "power saver" mode. Set it to the least efficient mode and see if that helps. I've had to that with a couple older games.

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm. I think I'm stuck.

I'm currently in operations, having just met Shodan for the first time (hhnnng). I've just cleared the area where Crew Quarters is, where you meet the first red Assassin. I've killed him/her/it for his/her/its chip.

Currently in Bulkhead 42, and I can't seem to find the red assassin here. I've consulted a guide and it appears as though the assassin should lead you down the corridor to the right as you first enter the Bulkhead, into a room full of ice and crates. However, there's no assassin there for me, and the room is just full of exploding crates continually falling from above.

I've found where the chip needs to go, but can't find them chip itself for this area.

Any clues?

subversus

fuck cargo bays, I'm gonna chill in med and upgrade myself. Fucking robots. Fuck.

Alexios

I just found this on the TIGSource forums. A couple guys are doing a System Shock inspired game called Starshock. It looks (but probably isn't) technically worse than the first game so pixel haters steer clear. Hopefully the trade off is superb gameplay and an atmosphere aided rather than hampered by the ultra minimalistic approach.

ik6jTVt.png

Starshock is a game that takes place in a space station. Terrible things are happening and you are a survivor. The game isn't Duke Nukem, you do not run around shooting monsters like there's no tomorrow because if you die, you die. You have to utilize your tools; every single credit, every single mine, every single bullet and the environment. There are message terminals to provide information about the station and provide stories of survivors to help you immerse with the game. There's nothing useless, it doesn't remind you that you are playing a game - you are a survivor of a disaster, and you want to stay as one.
b4e7jRs.png

diwoq4G.png

NFDsyK3.gif
There's no footage yet, just in development screenshots like these. I got the vibe before they mentioned the inspiration so hopefully they're on the right track. The screenshots were taken on a netbook which doesn't support hardware acceleration.

robin2

So far it has only one thing going over its "spiritual sequel" - less forgiving RPG system, higher difficulty and some systems which can be perceived as obtuse by some people like weapon degrading which most people tone down or turn off. I guess research chemicals fall into the same category. I haven't done any research on my first playthrough and I'm not doing any in this one but it's one system that is missing in Bioshock. I think they could actually keep it as it rewards exploration.
(You just admitted you didn't understood the game until now, thinking it was a shooter, and you sound already "I know it all").

I think the difference between the two games is that in SS2, what I do make me feel consistently part of the reality of the game so much more than Bioshock, in which what I'm enabled to do is just being a more-creative-than-usual walking arsenal.

The inventory alone makes a night-and-day difference.
Or also the research chemicals that you cite as obtuse: the fact that you have to find the chem-stores and check the shelves for the right ones, ties so much more with the environment, contributing to the "you are, actively, there"; comparatively the research camera of Bioshock (it had a research mechanic) is a "self contained gimmick".

Ultimately, with also all the other RPG stats-system/items (yes, the weapon degrading too), I, the player, feel so interestingly involved and not "outweighed by the game".

FACE

Banned
I just found this on the TIGSource forums. A couple guys are doing a System Shock inspired game called Starshock. It looks (but probably isn't) technically worse than the first game so pixel haters steer clear. Hopefully the trade off is superb gameplay and an atmosphere aided rather than hampered by the ultra minimalistic approach.

There's no footage yet, just in development screenshots like these. I got the vibe before they mentioned the inspiration so hopefully they're on the right track. The screenshots were taken on a netbook which doesn't support hardware acceleration.

That looks like System Shock with shitty Minecraft graphics.

Alexios

Agreed.

I also wouldn't presume to know what most people do with this or that feature.

I was scared of the degrading myself but after actually playing the game, it works.

One just needs to use the resources accordingly. Use weapons as little as possible by maximizing damage via the different types of ammo, research damage upgrades, use melee weapons whenever possible, explore to find or buy maintenance tools, raise the maintenance skill, carry (or store for later, but that will require backtracking which risks wasting yet more resources on respawned enemies, etc) more of the same weapon, and so on. Of course all these decisions affect every other aspect as all the same resources, money, upgrade points, inventory space, etc, are used for all sorts of other things, so you have to juggle the chosen play style and the available resources to maximize efficiency as best as possible thanks to the difficulty that makes it seem necessary. It all works so well together, it's a beautiful and exciting game even with its minor in comparison flaws.

subversus

(You just admitted you didn't understood the game until now, thinking it was a shooter, and you sound already "I know it all").

I think the difference between the two games is that in SS2, what I do make me feel consistently part of the reality of the game so much more than Bioshock, in which what I'm enabled to do is just being a more-creative-than-usual walking arsenal.

The inventory alone makes a night-and-day difference.
Or also the research chemicals that you cite as obtuse: the fact that you have to find the chem-stores and check the shelves for the right ones, ties so much more with the environment, contributing to the "you are, actively, there"; comparatively the research camera of Bioshock (it had a research mechanic) is a "self contained gimmick".

Ultimately, with also all the other RPG stats-system/items (yes, the weapon degrading too), I, the player, feel so interestingly involved and not "outweighed by the game".

I'm on my phone so I would reply in full tomorrow but if I was playing with guns I'd still consider it a shooter because I'd focus on guns solely.

Anyway scripting in Cargo Bays is very prominent like almost every second encounter I've experienced is scripted so far. I rechecked them all. Take a keycard from the body - robots suddenly activate, enter the room and reach a certain point - a hybrid is running from behind even though he wasn't there a second ago, I checked the whole room and the adjacent room. With all this whining about supposed scripting in Bioshock Infinite I find very strange how System Shock 2 avoids being criticized for the same thing. It feels almost like Doom 3 sometimes, but better executed.

Alexios

I don't think anyone ever said it's not a scripted linear game. Most single player adventures are. Scripting is what gives you plot, pivotal points, boss-like encounters, and so on. Execution is what matters. I said it myself in the Bioshock Infinite thread when someone attempted to put it down as a scripted linear game. If only that is its biggest (non) issue... It wasn't Bioshock's.

subversus

Execution is superb, there is no doubt about that. But I was under impression that the game has more simulational approach than Bioshock. It doesn't, it just has more stuff for a player to consider which is a good thing IMO.

FACE

Banned
Bioshock's problem was that they decided to make a mediocre shooter with light rpg elements instead of an RPG with survival horror elements and some shooting.

Top Bottom