• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

I can handle this and Thief just fine. Deus Ex I gave up on though. For $10, it's worth a gamble, Corky.

Speaking of Thief, I really love the way this engine feels, by the way. There is this weird but awesome floaty movement to it all. Don't really understand how it works so well, how it feels so good, but it does. It's fantastic.

It also properly implements velocity physics, so if you have a high enough agility you can pop a speed booster and kill yourself by sprinting at a wall

DocSeuss

Hmm.

How do I research the toxin in Hydroponics? I have 3 vials, but it says I need an Antimony (sb) to fully research it. How do I do this, and where do I get the Antimony?

Protip: you've likely been to chemical storage rooms before. In doing so, you've likely picked up the logs from said storage rooms. Each log has an inventory of what chemicals are in that specific storage room. Instead of running around trying to figure out which one is the right one, just do what I do, look at your various inventories, figure out which rooms have what you need, and proceed from there.

Yes,

Can you imagine actually being the protagonist in SS2... talk about fucked.

When playing first-person games, I always keep that in the front of my brain. Basically, I do my best to become the protagonist.

It's an incredible experience in LGS titles.

I felt so amazing when playing Thief on Friday. I was in the Bonehoard and there were, I don't even know, like twenty zombies. I kept trying to figure out how to kill them. Finally figured out how to lure them into a room (four dead zombies on the floor--shoot them from above and their death cries will alert their friends, who will stumble into the room), then used the proximity damage of holy water arrows to conserve ammo and killed all but one, who pursued me around the rest of the level relentlessly.

Astonishing experience.

I can handle this and Thief just fine. Deus Ex I gave up on though. For $10, it's worth a gamble, Corky.

Speaking of Thief, I really love the way this engine feels, by the way. There is this weird but awesome floaty movement to it all. Don't really understand how it works so well, how it feels so good, but it does. It's fantastic.

The Dark Engine has this level of acceptance curve that is really, really sharp at first, but once you get into it, you get hooked.

DocSeuss

Talking about fucked, I'm painfully low on Armor Piercing rounds...

Hack more, get caught less, it's okay to use regular ammo if AP is gone. Melee everything you can.

I thought similar to this. I don't have the desire to play it, but i'll probably catch giant bombs playthrough.

System Shock 2 got a rerelease after more than a decade of being off the market, and I went and asked for permission to make an OT because of said rerelease. Afaik, Pong hasn't got one of those yet.

This is more like Shenmue getting a rerelease on PC, mods being available for it, and an OT for people who haven't played it before.
Aside from Shenmue not being as good, of course. :p

FACE

Banned
Hack more, get caught less, it's okay to use regular ammo if AP is gone. Melee everything you can.

System Shock 2 got a rerelease after more than a decade of being off the market, and I went and asked for permission to make an OT because of said rerelease. Afaik, Pong hasn't got one of those yet.

This is more like Shenmue getting a rerelease on PC, mods being available for it, and an OT for people who haven't played it before. Aside from Shenmue not being as good, of course.

A little bit after I posted that I've managed to find 12 AP rounds, quick saved and took an actual break. This game is way more tense than I remembered.

A little bit after I posted that I've managed to find 12 AP rounds, quick saved and took an actual break. This game is way more tense than I remembered.

Yea, just got through engineering. AP ammo is key. At least now i've got my modded pistol and the wrench replaced with the laser rapier.

Welcome to Hydroponics.

First play through since I was 9 and played this game. Still scarier than anything. Did psi and hard. It made the game easy. Used the first level psi attack as my only weapon for 1/2 of the game. Spent one to get the pistol halfway through engineering and rarely used it. Didn't spend any cybermodules on hacking/maint until deck 4. Very different experience than my first play through. Endgame was eaaaasy this time. Had like 150 cyber modules at one point

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This game plays well with the original Quake soundtrack.

I can see that working.

Just finished the game. Good shit. Amazing how much of this game I've seen in other games I've played.

Non-original opinion:
Bioshock 1 isn't a spiritual successor to SS2; it's a flat-out remake. That being said, I still think there are enough distinctive, positive things in BS1 that give it its own flavor.

I think my main gripe about the game, and this applies to Thief 1 and 2 as well, is the movement system in the Dark Engine, especially when trying to navigate while jumping/platforming.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I read on here that System Shock 2 is one of the scariest games, but I haven't seen anything more than creepy yet (gotten to the room with the jars of chemicals). I don't know if it's the dated graphics, the dancy music, or the awkward combat, but it's less scary than it is funny. Seeing explosion.gif whenever stuff blows up, or being attacked by by a
screeching psychic monkey
just makes me and my friend laugh. I'm still settling into the game and plan on getting to the end, but my friend doesn't like it at all.

Endesu

I read on here that System Shock 2 is one of the scariest games, but I haven't seen anything more than creepy yet (gotten to the room with the jars of chemicals). I don't know if it's the dated graphics, the dancy music, or the awkward combat, but it's less scary than it is funny. Seeing explosion.gif whenever stuff blows up, or being attacked by by a
just makes me and my friend laugh. I'm still settling into the game and plan on getting to the end, but my friend doesn't like it at all.

Probably better off on a solo run anyway. Way too easy with another person, kind of takes away from the whole thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, if graphics are so important to you (going by the explosion.gif) then yeah, you shouldn't play old 3D games. Otherwise I'd say yes, it's creepy more than scary for me too, so far (quite ahead of you, you're only in like the first area still, but I'm not too far myself). I don't find that makes it a bad game, or funny. I think it's pretty sweet, and intense, survival horror style with the limited resources and what not. I don't find the combat awkward either, except for how it's sometimes easy to miss certain enemies with the wrench. Otherwise it's not spectacular or anything but it works well enough. Friends make anything less scary.

Bumhead

Banned
You find them in the various chemical storage rooms in the game (marked C on the map). There's one on every deck including hydroponics. Once you have the chemical in your inventory you just right click on it while researching the toxin.

There are chemical storage rooms in the ship, you can find the chemicals you need there.

Cheers guys. Chemicals in the chemical rooms? That'll never catch on!

I knew I'd seen those rooms somewhere but couldn't remember where I last saw one. I'm currently running around on about 6 health with no hypo's so I'm trying to minimise my mindless exploring. Might head down to MedSci and try and find that health recharge station I know is down there. It's a lot easier to explore now I've got the elevators online.

Sober

Kind of wish that they kept the audio log transcript up while it plays. Kinda sucks because I like to keep the tape running as I continue so I sometimes lose track of who is speaking or occasionally I get jumped and the sounds of combat sometime overtake the track.

Or I guess I could just listen to them again, they are pretty damn good.

Sort of hyped for 1999 mode for Infinite if it's even halfway close to recreating SS2's resource conditions and such.

SS2 is one of the best games ever made.

I mean, that game uses a techno soundtrack and still manages to be extremely scary. That alone should tell you all about it's quality.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Probably better off on a solo run anyway. Way too easy with another person, kind of takes away from the whole thing.

We're not actually doing co-op (however that works), he just watches me play. I'd imagine the game is scarier playing alone, but the stuff I've seen so far has been unsettling at best. The first enemies, the guys with the pipes or whatever, are alternately interesting and annoying. They come up and kill me in a couple swings, but apparently they have the same health as me, because that's all it takes to knock them out. Or they'll keep dodging my swings, then other times I'll just run up and hit them. One time the security camera spotted me, and they came running, but didn't see me behind the desk and just wandered around a bit, until I came out and they ganged up on me. Also, their animations are dated. It's a mixed bag, but I can appreciate what's good about them for being from such an old game.

Well, if graphics are so important to you (going by the explosion.gif) then yeah, you shouldn't play old 3D games. Otherwise I'd say yes, it's creepy more than scary for me too, so far (quite ahead of you, you're only in like the first area still, but I'm not too far myself). Doesn't make it a bad game, or funny. I don't find the combat awkward either, except for being easy to miss some enemies with the wrench. Not spectacular or anything but it works. Αnd friends make everything less scary.

I'm not a real graphics snob, but I chuckled seeing the explosion effect, because it's the kind of jokey budget effect you would see in modern animation. While I prefer things looking as sharp and clean as possible, I can deal with low-res models if they don't have a negative affect on the immersion. But after seeing modern stuff for so long, I can't help but laugh sometimes at some of the things from older games that are really dated. Like horrible resolution FMV cutscenes; I don't dislike them for being what they are, and it doesn't in itself mean the game is "bad", it's just funny watching them and thinking "Ha, this used to look good."

As for hitting with the wrench, it's the only weapon I've used, since I don't have any psi skills and just acquired the pistol. It does kind of feel like there's no visual reaction to getting hit with the wrench, the enemies just stop for a second and scream. And since my friend stated his distaste for the game, I'll probably be playing it alone soon.

I'd say the stock sound effects are even more dated and hilarious than the graphics, but the game still works as a presentational package.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'd say the stock sound effects are even more dated and hilarious than the graphics, but the game still works as a presentational package.

did you just shit on sound design in this game or did I misunderstand something?

subversus

this feeling when you survive a tough encounter with with 1 life and 0 psi...

Utilization? Hell no, it's great. The actual sound effects being used in some spots? Yes, there are some funny old stock sound effects in this game. Like the monkeys!

ah, I see. terrifying sounds by the way, I hate them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT, explains everything that needs explaining, and makes you want to play it.

I may pick it up once it hits Steam, maybe for $5 as $10 seems a little too much to me. I never played it before, so I hope it's as good as everyone says (I didn't like how BioShock plays after 2 or 3 hours with it, though the atmosphere was great).

RickD

Gah! Forgot how annoying the
Black Egg hunt
was!

I Haven't played this since i bought the original back in 1999. I left all my old PC games at my parents house after i moved out and my brother threw them all away. This included.

I'm in cargo bay and my character had a flash with voices talking about "the many" and oh my if it isn't Bioshock -> Bioshock 2 all over again: in the first game the mad AI profess machine superiority and in the next one it's the flesh. Some things never change.

I would suggested to anyone who's still on the fence to buy this game: the core mechanics are really the same in Bioshock: if you enjoyed it you'll feel at home here. And they're pretty solid even if you didn't like them so buy it anyway :p

And a few suggestion for newcomers (like me):

- As suggested by the OP, start off as NAVY since it's the most balanced out class
- You're gonna use the wrench a lot (hit detection is a little janky btw): spend points in strenght because you'll deal more damage
- Spend points in hack (you'll disable turrets and unlock crates a lot)
- Spend points in maintenance and repair (guns et al will deteriorate pretty fast)
- Crank up the music for the first level just to experience your first encounter with the hybrids (the turn to 50%)

StAidan

I dug into this last night for a bit, making System Shock 2 the second FPS I've ever played (Bioshock being the first). My interest in FPS as a genre is basically zero, but these two games are definitely worth the exception.

Since I'm basically an FPS noob, I have to play slowly and deliberately to get anywhere without dying, so at 45 mins in I just finished up my first encounter with a bunch of
psi-enabled monkeys
. Really enjoying things so far, although I've yet to see anything remotely scary, so I hope it steps up in that department.

It's pretty interesting to see all the core mechanics of Bioshock in a game that came out 8 years earlier.

gabbo

I'm in cargo bay and my character had a flash with voices talking about "the many" and oh my if it isn't Bioshock -> Bioshock 2 all over again: in the first game the mad AI profess machine superiority and in the next one it's the flesh. Some things never change.

The Many
have mommy issues they need to work out... by engulfing and destroying the entirety of your species, puny human.

DocSeuss

Playing while hanging out with another person is doing it wrong. :|

Cheers guys. Chemicals in the chemical rooms? That'll never catch on!

I knew I'd seen those rooms somewhere but couldn't remember where I last saw one. I'm currently running around on about 6 health with no hypo's so I'm trying to minimise my mindless exploring. Might head down to MedSci and try and find that health recharge station I know is down there. It's a lot easier to explore now I've got the elevators online.

Again, use the inventories of the rooms you've picked up when visiting them before.

Make sure to activate the spawn rooms, so if you die, you'll respawn (at a nanite cost).

So um could any modern (non gaming) PC run this without any problem? lol

Like it says in the OP: If it was built this century, it should be able to run SS2.

Great OT, explains everything that needs explaining, and makes you want to play it.

I may pick it up once it hits Steam, maybe for $5 as $10 seems a little too much to me. I never played it before, so I hope it's as good as everyone says (I didn't like how BioShock plays after 2 or 3 hours with it, though the atmosphere was great).

I'm glad you enjoyed the OP!

It's a ~12 hour game for me, and I'm a moderately experienced player. $10 may seem a bit much, but think of all the $10 and $15 XBLA titles. Now consider that SS2 is the greatest video game ever made. $10 isn't really that much, is it?

I dug into this last night for a bit, making System Shock 2 the second FPS I've ever played (Bioshock being the first). My interest in FPS as a genre is basically zero, but these two games are definitely worth the exception.

Since I'm basically an FPS noob, I have to play slowly and deliberately to get anywhere without dying, so at 45 mins in I just finished up my first encounter with a bunch of
psi-enabled monkeys
. Really enjoying things so far, although I've yet to see anything remotely scary, so I hope it steps up in that department.

It's pretty interesting to see all the core mechanics of Bioshock in a game that came out 8 years earlier.

Despite your low amount of interest in FPSes, you should give STALKER a go if you're enjoying this.

I played this game on Saturday. Picked Marines and got an hour into the game before I died. Then the game's start screen came up and I realized the game hadn't saved at any point and that was my responsibility.

I don't know how I feel about this game yet

I played this game on Saturday. Picked Marines and got an hour into the game before I died. Then the game's start screen came up and I realized the game hadn't saved at any point and that was my responsibility.

I don't know how I feel about this game yet

That's weird, I'm pretty sure this game has an autosave function.

*EDIT* Yup, every time you enter a new area (like going through a bulkhead or elevator) it should autosave.

Finally got around to finishing it this weekend. I had played it in brief spurts before, but Friday I decided I'd wipe the slate clean and finish it from beginning to end. Mission accomplished in two sittings. As someone who finds it hard to focus on some games (games I like, too) for more than an hour or so, I was amazed this game kept me engaged for such long play sessions. I was reminded of those times when I was a kid and I'd want to stay up all night playing a game for hours and hours because it's just that exciting. That hasn't happened in a long time. Every bit of the game was perfect or near perfect, the atmosphere, the gameplay mechanics, the "feel" of playing, the level design, every bit was so finely tuned and crafted. I can only think of one complaint; I feel the game lost a bit of steam near the end. Then again, maybe that was just me.

Finally got around to finishing it this weekend. I had played it in brief spurts before, but Friday I decided I'd wipe the slate clean and finish it from beginning to end. Mission accomplished in two sittings. As someone who finds it hard to focus on some games (games I like, too) for more than an hour or so, I was amazed this game kept me engaged for such long play sessions. I was reminded of those times when I was a kid and I'd want to stay up all night playing a game for hours and hours because it's just that exciting. That hasn't happened in a long time. Every bit of the game was perfect or near perfect, the atmosphere, the gameplay mechanics, the "feel" of playing, the level design, every bit was so finely tuned and crafted. I can only think of one complaint; I feel the game lost a bit of steam near the end. Then again, maybe that was just me.

It's not just you, it's a fairly common complaint and one that I agree with.

DocSeuss said:
It goes back to the main menu. When that happens, click "Load," and find your last save.

I remember going to the load game screen and being disappointed with myself for not saving because there was no game data there. I'll recheck when I get home from work though!

subversus

Funny, I actually enjoy challenge this time and play better as melee only O.S.A. Should have RTFM back then.

mrpeabody

To me the last third just feels rushed. The levels themselves are fine, but there's not as much meat on the bones as there is in the Von Braun.

Top Bottom