• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 |OT| A Perfect, Immortal Machine

FACE

Banned
Spoiler tag that man, lots of people are playing it for the first time.

Edit: Well, this post was entirely pointless.

Santiako

It's been ten years since I played this so I can't remember, the pistol is completely useless once you can use the assault rifle, right?

lotrfan

Neo Member
Yeah, welcome to Ken Levine video games.

I am pretty sure that the gaming was rushed at the end according to info back wen it came out. The Rickenbacker was supposed to be as big as the Von Braun (game wise speaking) and with multiple paths like the Von Braun. Due to time constraints it had to be made linear and shorter.

mrpeabody

okay so what's the general consensus on the music? the techno music is pretty hilarious

If you don't like the techno, keep in mind that not all the music is like that. Some of the later stuff is very moody/atmospheric.

You might turn it down until you get to a new deck and then give it another go.

It's been ten years since I played this so I can't remember, the pistol is completely useless once you can use the assault rifle, right?
The assault rifle is certainly better... but a modded pistol is never "useless". I'd actually say the pistol is the most versatile weapon in the game. I keep one in my inventory even after I've got the Asssault rifle. Using the pistol against hybrids (a single shot of anti-personal ammo kills them) is a good way to minimize usage/maintenance on the assault rifle which i use on more difficult enemies.

aravuus

If you don't like the techno, keep in mind that not all the music is like that. Some of the later stuff is very moody/atmospheric.

You might turn it down until you get to a new deck and then give it another go.

That I shall do, thanks. The first area got imo a lot better not that the music's off.

Santiako

In every single way.

The assault rifle is certainly better... but a modded pistol is never "useless". I'd actually say the pistol is the most versatile weapon in the game. I keep one in my inventory even after I've got the Asssault rifle. Using the pistol against hybrids (a single shot of anti-personal ammo kills them) is a good way to minimize usage/maintenance on the assault rifle which i use on more difficult enemies.

Thanks, I'll only throw it away if I really need the space.

Macmanus

okay so what's the general consensus on the music? the techno music is pretty hilarious

Takes me out of the game. I either turn it off or put on some dark ambiance like the Quake soundtrack.

If you have the inventory real-estate I'd keep it on you. I keep my pistol loaded with anti-personal rounds and my AR with AP. I'll pop monkeys with the pistol and security mechs with the AR. Everything else gets beat upon with a Crystal Shard.

zkylon

zkylewd
I should really get around beating this game. I quit back in the day because arachnophobia+high tension games like these don't make for a pleasant combination, but thank the heavens for this modder: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=134.0

I do have the warmest of memories of sweat dripping down my forehead as I waited for one of those wrench zombies to walk by so I could reset the alarm back to 300 seconds. Man SS2 was so tense, always on a timer, never knowing when a psychic monkey will blow you up :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I should really get around beating this game. I quit back in the day because arachnophobia+high tension games like these don't make for a pleasant combination

the game isn't pleasant, that's for sure. But it's satisfying.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Gah! Forgot how annoying the
Black Egg hunt
was!
It was like an
Easter egg hunt
from hell.
fuck you 15th egg for hiding in the spot in the next section :mad:

At times, the looping music was a bit too much, but for the most part, it was atmospheric and enjoyable. I'm glad I chose to play the game with the music on.

I used the pistol for the entire game, so much so that
I defeated both the Many and SHODAN with it. Made the NAH part of the ending cutscene even more satisfying.

DocSeuss

I am pretty sure that the gaming was rushed at the end according to info back wen it came out. The Rickenbacker was supposed to be as big as the Von Braun (game wise speaking) and with multiple paths like the Von Braun. Due to time constraints it had to be made linear and shorter.

Yeah, I just think that's pretty much the way Ken Levine does stuff. He doesn't really seem to pull off a Hitchcockian "plan and execute," he's much more "I'll do what feels right at the time," which isn't necessarily bad, if you've got the time, but he doesn't always have time.

subversus

Yeah, I just think that's pretty much the way Ken Levine does stuff. He doesn't really seem to pull off a Hitchcockian "plan and execute," he's much more "I'll do what feels right at the time," which isn't necessarily bad, if you've got the time, but he doesn't always have time.

I think he'll never have enough time.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm liking the music. There's a sort of weird technological disconnect between it and the world that I think works well. It sort of feels very representative of the bizarre and in many ways broken futuristic nature of the Von Braun and the situation you're in as the player.

It's obviously each to their own, but so far I've been enjoying both the sections without music, and those with it.

Grief.exe

How scary is SS2?

I have trouble playing really scary games with the headphones on. The positional audio is just too accurate and clear for me.

I tend to have to take them off and leave them on the stand to get through games like this.

subversus

How scary is SS2?

I have trouble playing really scary games with the headphones on. The positional audio is just too accurate and clear for me.

I tend to have to take them off and leave them on the stand to get through games like this.

don't play this game then. It's scary and has an exceptional positional audio design.

How scary is SS2?

Oh man. That's what makes it so good.

zkylon

zkylewd
How scary is SS2?

It's pretty scary. You're on a timer most of the time and enemies respawn indefinitely so it gets pretty tense.

I had to play it in bursts or I'd jump at everything.

Scariest game I've ever played, though I haven't done Amnesia.

subversus

As I understand it's not possible to bind psi powers? Because it's REALLY clunky when you do psi-only playthrough. May be some hack in .ini or something?

Grief.exe

I can play through games no problem with a 2.1 set up or if I leave the headphones on the stand (kind of a pseudo 2.1 set up if you think about it).

If I play with them on it just becomes too real, since the positional audio combined with the close screen is just too much.

Its not like I'm jump scared, it just gets too tense and I don't feel like playing anymore. Makes me want to rush through the game, rather then enjoying the experience. Something about the audio just engages my flight or fight response and its not comfortable.

subversus

ok, so here's how you can bind PSI powers to hot keys.
it can be included in OP

1. Go to the root directory, open user.bnd with notepad or any text editor of your choice.
2. search for lines like this: bind f1 "quickuse 1"
bind f1+shift "quickbind 1"
3. change ONLY bind for "quickuse X" to a key you want your power mapped to and save the file.
4. open the game, load your last save and hit tab. Open MFD in the right bottom corner of your screen and open the list with your powers
5. drag you mouse pointer to the power you want to bind and press SHIFT+F1 (F1-F10). Your power will be mapped to the key you wrote down in user.bnd file.

for example you want activate Agility psi power by pressing "1" on your keyboard. So you should have the following lines in your user.bnd file:

bind 1 "quickuse 1"

you can bind any key you want UNLESS IT'S USED BY SOME OTHER ACTION. For example you want to bind v to activate cryo psi amp for some reason. Your actions:

1)Check if "V" isn't mapped to some other command (and it's often mapped to something)
2)If it's mapped - assign some other key to this action, if not proceed to the next step.
3)write the following in user.bnd:

bind v "quickuse 1"
4)go into the game, open MFD, point at cryo psi amp and hit shift+F1
5)now you can activate cryo psi amp by pressing "V".

this stuff is vital for PSI users. I don't know how people completed the game without this.

DocSeuss

ok, so here's how you can bind PSI powers to hot keys.
it can be included in OP

1. Go to the root directory, open user.bnd with notepad or any text editor of your choice.
2. search for lines like this: bind f1 "quickuse 1"
3. change ONLY bind for "quickuse X" to a key you want your power mapped to and save the file.
4. open the game, load your last save and hit tab. Open MFD in the right bottom corner of your screen and open the list with your powers
5. drag you mouse pointer to the power you want to bind and press SHIFT+F1 (F1-F10). Your power will be mapped to the key you wrote down in user.bnd file.

for example you want activate Agility psi power by pressing "1" on your keyboard. So you should have the following lines in your user.bnd file:

bind 1 "quickuse 1"

you can bind any key you want UNLESS IT'S USED BY SOME OTHER ACTION. For example you want to bind v to activate cryo psi amp for some reason. Your actions:

1)Check if "V" isn't mapped to some other command (and it's often mapped to something)
2)If it's mapped - assign some other key to this action, if not proceed to the next step.
3)write the following in user.bnd:

bind v "quickuse 1"
4)go into the game, open MFD, point at cryo psi amp and hit shift+F1
5)now you can activate cryo psi amp by pressing "V".

this stuff is vital for PSI users. I don't know how people completed the game without this.

Will do. :)

I should really get around beating this game. I quit back in the day because arachnophobia+high tension games like these don't make for a pleasant combination, but thank the heavens for this modder: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=134.0

I love the description of the mod-

I have now set the spiders to be destroyed as soon as they are created. As a safeguard I've also set them to be invisible, completly silent, slower then your avarge dead slug, have one (1) hitpoint, have weapons that make no damage AND they are on the Good team so any other AI's around will slay them! That enough for ya?

:D

I finished this last night(third time, first time in probably more than 10 years). A bunch of thoughts honestly I should have made some notes(not that anyone on the internet cares what I think, but it's fun to write it all down), but here are some. I played on hard, marine.

-Inventory management is PROFOUND. Every 10 minutes it's fucking Sophie's Choice with this game. This is the maybe the biggest thing that makes Bioshock just less interesting mechanically.
-Fuck The Many boss fight. Awful. Actually fuck that whole level, even though conceptually it's cool. It looks atrocious. Hell it kind of looked atrocious in 1999.
-Whatever the respective merits of SS2 versus more modern games, it is undeniable that voice acting has gotten better all around.
-Instant quick save and quick load makes any game so much easier. I would have never finished on hard if it was checkpoint based.
-Hydroponics is a great level. So is recreation. Engineering is awful.
-Lo-fi graphics makes hiding secrets a lot harder. Some people have decried the way Bioshock and other games highlight items, but the truth is that the nature of seeing shit is just different with modern graphics.
-Some of the stuff with Shodan makes no sense. She manifested a holographic face of herself and then died when I shot a screen with her face on it? I mean I know I'm thinking about this shit too hard, but that stood out. Also her 'reveal' is really theatrical for a cold, ruthless machine. You know she was thinking 'this guy is gonna FLIP when he see's my face on all four walls'.

Great game though and in a fundamental sense it still holds up pretty well. I finished it in three days because it was fun.

DocSeuss

-Lo-fi graphics makes hiding secrets a lot harder. Some people have decried the way Bioshock and other games highlight items, but the truth is that the nature of seeing shit is just different with modern graphics.

This is something I've always been confused about. People whine and complain about glowing items, but it's like they've never really played the older games. It's really obvious in older games, to the point where they might as well SCREAM "HEY IM A SECRET OVER HERE!" With newer games, you might miss stuff simply because of all the detritus.

I think Skyrim does this quite well by having the detritus look fairly bland (pots, baskets, etc), while the potions and meats and such have color to them, making them more noticeable.

Books, though... Yeah, I got the glowing book mod.

The co-op is actually a blast, been playing that as well as my single-player run-through again. Fuck Engineering. Recreation is awesome though.

I definitely want to play Bioshock again after this, it's been too long.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im surprised that people dont like the music. i think it fits very well. Its high energy when it needs to be (like right after you start and enter the Med Sci area proper) and ambient when appropriate.

rbenchley

Does this have controller support?

Don't hurt me...I suck at WASD.

There's a 360 controller Xpadder profile for the game. The right stick on the controller takes the place of the mouse for inventory management. It's not ideal, but it isn't completely awful either. Keyboard/mouse gaming tends to get very uncomfortable for me due to carpal tunnel issues, whereas the 360 controller is great for me.

I can play through games no problem with a 2.1 set up or if I leave the headphones on the stand (kind of a pseudo 2.1 set up if you think about it).

If I play with them on it just becomes too real, since the positional audio combined with the close screen is just too much.

Its not like I'm jump scared, it just gets too tense and I don't feel like playing anymore. Makes me want to rush through the game, rather then enjoying the experience. Something about the audio just engages my flight or fight response and its not comfortable.

As someone who's usually very relaxed during most horror games, I can tell you you'll probably have problems while playing System Shock 2. I found it to be extremely tense, and like someone else mentioned, the positional audio is amazing. I'd still recommend that you at least try it, but given what you've said I don't think it's the game for you.

ryz

Just finished it again after 9 years or so? While it does lose *some* steam towards the end i totally forgot that
you revisit parts of the first level of SS1, which is actually a projection from SHODAN!
That was just a great feeling, again.
The NAH! scene was just as cheesy as i remembered it, though.
I also really like the music (Hydro 1 being my favorite, may be the fist time heard a DnB song actually), but i think it just doesn't fit the mood at all. Nonetheless, one of the greatest games of all time, for me personally.

This is something I've always been confused about. People whine and complain about glowing items, but it's like they've never really played the older games. It's really obvious in older games, to the point where they might as well SCREAM "HEY IM A SECRET OVER HERE!" With newer games, you might miss stuff simply because of all the detritus.

I think Skyrim does this quite well by having the detritus look fairly bland (pots, baskets, etc), while the potions and meats and such have color to them, making them more noticeable.

Books, though... Yeah, I got the glowing book mod.

The difference is that in SS2 items which have been "hidden" in a dark corner actually do take some effort to spot, though I do tend to agree that it's not as big an issue these days as people make out.

Grief.exe

As someone who's usually very relaxed during most horror games, I can tell you you'll probably have problems while playing System Shock 2. I found it to be extremely tense, and like someone else mentioned, the positional audio is amazing. I'd still recommend that you at least try it, but given what you've said I don't think it's the game for you.

Oh I'm going to play it!

This game is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time! There is no way I can justify not experiencing it. Plus this just sounds like the perfect game for me other than the horror parts.

I'll work my way through it slowly and play with my headphones on the stand.

Maybe I'll emulate a really upbeat Nintendo game like Banjo-Kazooie or Paper Mario: TTYD and switch between them when I feel overwhelmed.

The ironic thing is I had no problem playing through RE4, Silent Hill, etc on consoles when I was far away from the TV and with a speaker system. As soon as I get the headphones on, it makes it too tense.

Oh I'm going to play it!

This game is supposed to be one of the greatest of all time! There is no way I can justify not experiencing it. Plus this just sounds like the perfect game for me other than the horror parts.

I'll work my way through it slowly and play with my headphones on the stand.

Maybe I'll emulate a really upbeat Nintendo game like Banjo-Kazooie or Paper Mario: TTYD and switch between them when I feel overwhelmed.

The ironic thing is I had no problem playing through RE4, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc on consoles when I was far away from the TV and with a speaker system. As soon as I get the headphones on, it makes it too tense.

The best thing is SS has plenty of "What the Fuck!" jump scares...plus also the incredibly oppressive atmosphere thing going on.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a demo for this game? how is it like bioshock?seems pretty different to me.

Gameplay elements (security systems, cameras, powers/psionics), parts of the story (MAJOR SPOILER:
misleading disembodied voice
), one sane person wandering into the remnants of that which was once great, etc.

Top Bottom