• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

I thought the production value was really low, almost amateurish honestly. Some of the acting in the scenes was laughable too (thinking of all of the half-sister scenes, here). I'm intrigued to see the next episode though - the pilot had some enjoyable moments for sure.

I think this is pretty spot on too.

Really? I think we watched a different show.

obin_gam

There is no supernatural elements imo. What is showns could be interpreted as hallucinations of Delaneys dementia.

I don't remember where it was said Delaney has Dementia? I have had a glass or two of wine tonight though, I may have missed that bit.[/QUOTE]

His behavior through the entire episode could be hints enough that he suffers from the same thing his father had.

obin_gam

His father was
poisoned though, which the doc said would cause how his father was.

That's true.
I'm still not convinced the supernatural hints are just that. Or of they are, I woulnd't say they are of any large quantity anyway.

Only actual thing in the episode is that Delaney heard his fathers messages through the bonfires. I'm not sure that qualifies as true supernatural though, could just be witchcraft - as everyone knows existed in the 19th Century :p

Stasis

Loved it. I'm in. Huge Tom Hardy fan, and he's got some of that weird badass vibe from Peaky Blinders. Good stuff.

Really loved the first episode, I have absolutely no problem with slow paced shows so right now everything is working for me and, even though I've seen a lot of movies and series set in that era in England, this show in particular reminded me a lot of bloodborne which, for me, makes everything better.

Blader

Can't quite put my finger on it but there's something a bit off about this show. It feels kind of... silly?

Alpende

I wasn't blown away by the first episode but I'll continue watching. Hardy is always a joy to watch and him having the balls to go up against the East India Company should be interesting to see unfold. I really want to know what those rumors about James were.

Mi goreng

This was pretty damn fun to watch. Hardy of course makes it extra special and it's hardly slow, the intrigue the story has given so far is great. Loved the beach scenes with the docks and ships in the backround. Bring on next week,

- Slant Magazine review
Hardy's showmanship is nearly matched by many of his costars, particularly Jonathan Pryce as the head of the villainous East India Company, a prototype for the corporatization currently eating this world alive, and David Hayman as Brace, who serves as the Alfred figure to James's Bruce Wayne, advising the latter of the stupidity of his quarrels while administering bandages and knocks of brandy. It's Brace who memorably tells James that his father's legacy is a “poisoned chalice,” later likening the ravings of James's late mad father to a “language that's like ravens fighting.” 3 out of 4 stars
- Boston Herald review
Hardy rocks the period clothing, strutting around in an open overcoat practically down to his ankles and a commanding stovepipe hat. With anyone else, this show would not be half as engrossing. Grade: B
- NY Times review
In addition to Mr. Pryce, a number of familiar British character actors acquit themselves well, including David Hayman as Delaney’s factotum, and Nicholas Woodeson as a slippery lawyer. But the focus on grim portentousness and rank atmosphere keeps bogging down the story, which needed more attention to achieve the balance it seeks among gothic bodice-ripper, “Heart of Darkness” social tract and corporate thriller.
- NY Post review
“Taboo” is a BBC import and the first few hours are big on atmosphere and setting, but the story is a little too plodding and murky for its own good. Casting is good all around, including Michael Kelly (Doug Stamper on “House of Cards”) showing up in another quietly creepy role. As Delaney, Hardy readily conveys the character’s enigmatic nature but could do more to suggest his inner life. 2.5 out of 4 stars

Series premiere tonight on FX:
Episode 1

After 10 years in Africa, James Delaney returns to 1814 London to claim a mysterious legacy left to him by his father.
This is scheduled for a 1 hour 20 minute run time.

- Onion A|V Club review
Part of the problem is that the Hardys and Knight are more invested in teasing that their characters possess secrets than letting those backgrounds color the performances and story. This in part is an atmospheric choice, but it’s also a frustrating one. On one hand, it makes you want to keep watching just to see if the reveals will be worthwhile. On the other, it’s likely to make many throw up their hands. Grade: C+

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag:
This one is more fun to think about than it is to watch, but it deserves points for weirdness, and for not being manufactured to satisfy a preexisting niche — unless the market for Dickens-flavored soap-opera revenge Westerns is a phenomenon that escaped my attention.
- The Atlantic review
Taboo would also benefit from the kind of self-awareness that might allow even glimpses of dark humor. But Hardy, always an admirably committed actor, has the magnetism to elevate even the silliest moments, making this an intriguing, if sometimes oppressively moody trip into a sinister underworld.

EGM1966

Interesting and strong sense of Heart of Darkness to the tone and vibe. Pace is fine for me I'm tired of shows trying to grab viewers by the throat as quickly as possible. I get why but it's nice to see a show have the confidence to take its time and simply use the first episode to hint at themes and narratives without feeling the need to have one big moment: it's pretty obvious there will be enough of those in the episodes to come.

London setting was terrific and damn at Hardy's hats. Wish I could carry one of them off myself.

God damn, Tom Hardy's transformation into Warren Ellis is almost complete.

220px-Warren_Ellis_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

All he needs now is to go full Brando.

The meeting with the East India Company at the end was the best scene from the premiere. More of that, please. This was a little overwrought and gloomy, and I had trouble taking parts of it seriously, but I'm in for the season nonetheless. Hardy does most of the heavy lifting.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The meeting with the East India Company at the end was the best scene from the premiere. More of that, please. This was a little overwrought and gloomy, and I had trouble taking parts of it seriously, but I'm in for the season nonetheless. Hardy does most of the heavy lifting.

I think that was the best scene too.

Discourse

I really enjoyed this first episode. I like the complexity of Tom Hardy's character and look forward to seeing them flesh it out over the coming episodes.

Sean C

Spoiler: Vancouver Island is part of Canada, so Delaney's on our side! Woot!

I liked it overall. The first East India Company scene was a pretty big exposition dump about what a crazy hellion the main character is, but it's promising, and Hardy is always interesting to watch.

Anybody care to guess how many episodes before he and his half-sister fuck again?

Is it a limited series or do they have plans to go more seasons if it proves successful? Cause I can't see this spanning multiple seasons (I mean I can but yeah).

I liked it though. Excited to see where the season goes.

Sean C

Is it a limited series or do they have plans to go more seasons if it proves successful? Cause I can't see this spanning multiple seasons (I mean I can but yeah).
It's listed as a miniseries.

Given that Tom Hardy is a fairly in-demand actor, I expect it'll probably stay that way.

I liked the fact that the episode had some supernatural elements

Plus seeing the guy from Pirates of the Carribean under the banner of East India Shipping Company made me smile...

Oh damn I didn't realize this had started. After finishing Jonathan Strange and Dr. Norrell I need a highly polished series like this badly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is it a limited series or do they have plans to go more seasons if it proves successful?

Taboo is being billed as a limited series. Would you like to do more?

Yeah, there is a mythology to it so we can and I love being in production. I definitely want to continue down that road. I have no desire to be an auteur visionary director but I do love being part of the machinery and the infrastructure, as well as the writing and acting.

Looks like they're open to doing more if there's a demand for it.

In fact, they're definitely planning for 3 seasons:

DEADLINE: Part of the thrust of the series is the battle that Delaney has with the East India Company over the strategic Nootka Sound land that Delaney's father owned off the West Coast of what is now Canada. So will we see the series step foot in North America?

KNIGHT:
Not certainly in this first eight hours, but we have plans — well, certainly I have plans — if we get given the green light for more. The plan is that there would be three seasons, and, as with Peaky Blinders, I have had a destination in mind from the beginning, because I think it helps as a writer. The destination in mind is that James Keziah Delaney sets foot on Nootka Sound. But that's a long way off.

DEADLINE: Where will you find the time? It's not like you both aren't busy.

KNIGHT: I think when we first set out on this we'd go well, eight hours we can tell the story, you know, the story — beginning, middle, and end. But I know Tom has loved it so much really, has been so involved as a producer and as an actor. I've enjoyed it so much that we would both be ready and willing to do Series 2 and Series 3 and see where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom