• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Yaweee

Urban Scholar said:
Well no wonder my magic seems like pea shooters to them.

?!

...that's it I'm using my time in between class to go back into the woods and get more dragons. Also for a game with a much warranted guide I think it mighty strange it's having shipping issues.

I meant most powerful spells currently available.

Rank 2 is available in shops by the end of Chapter 2, I think. Rank 3 are only in the special shops in Chapter 4, and Rank 4 are only enemy drops, by my understanding. You'll need the Rank 2 spells (Spiritsurge II, etc.) to damage dragons, preferable with the Augment skills as well.

Beastmasters have 70 TP Skills "Empower Dragon" and "Empower Beast" which will make an allied dragon or beast hit for an absolutely tremendous amount of damage in its next attack. I'm pretty sure it only applies to the basic melee and ranged attacks, and not specials (an Empowered Poison Rain would be completely broken)

Yaweee said:
I meant most powerful spells currently available.

Rank 2 is available in shops by the end of Chapter 2, I think. Rank 3 are only in the special shops in Chapter 4, and Rank 4 are only enemy drops, by my understanding. You'll need the Rank 2 spells (Spiritsurge II, etc.) to damage dragons, preferable with the Augment skills as well.

I've noticed it but to be truthful I haven't much pow with my augments set but then again maybe I'm paying attention.

Yaweee

Urban Scholar said:
I've noticed it but to be truthful I haven't much pow with my augments set but then again maybe I'm paying attention.

The Augment/Weapon skills aren't really all that powerful, but they are worth it. The Magic/Physical Attack skills are more useful.

Jerk

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
Me too. It's the only path that really makes sense to me. If you're going to be a pragmatist instead, go with the Lawful route. The Neutral path is for fence-sitters who compromise their ideals but not enough to actually go all the way and be truly effective.

I decided to go full on Chaos, but I think that I would personally have chosen the Neutral path if it did not suck.

The way I look at it, Denem's decision at the end of Chapter one had little to do with him being a creature of ideals and high morals and more with the fact that he found the task asked of him to be too extreme a measure. It seems to me that had he not been turned on, he would have made some effort to try and reconcile with the duke.

With that in mind, choosing neutral at the end of chapter 2 does not seem like much of a cop-out.

With that said, I am only at the beginning of the chaos path-2 so I do not know enough of Denem's justifications for the other two. Could be that his reasons for choosing Neutral would not have been my own.

Then again, I myself am sort of an indecisive twat (I still choose TDE at the end of Nocturne every time though).

Joule

Magic definitely seems more for buffs/debuffs/status ailments than blowing things up.

So Clerics. Do they get anything that makes them particularly better than say just making Valkyrie or a Knight. Sure they get a lot of status heals but I have a White Knight that can cover most of those.

NeoNess said:
Got a notification from Amazon saying there has been an additional delay for the guide. It wanted me to acknowledge the March 20ish date - but stated they'd attempt to ship before then.

Boo.

Gamestop/Ebgames seems to be the best place to find the guides. My order from Gamestop just arrived and some people on Gamefaqs have been finding them in their local Gamestops.

Yaweee

Joule said:
Magic definitely seems more for buffs/debuffs/status ailments than blowing things up.

So Clerics. Do they get anything that makes them particularly better than say just making Valkyrie or a Knight. Sure they get a lot of status heals but I have a White Knight that can cover most of those.

Exorcism and Resurrection, for the most part, as well as the DIVINE recruit skill (only useful for Divine Knights in San Bronsa). You could just expend Exorcism scrolls when the need arises, but that can get really expensive for some battles.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TheSeks said:
AI settings keep getting the units killed. :| Yeah, screw that. I guess I'll manually grind to prevent my "no fall/death" run from being compromised.

You guys said the forest/whatever spot for grinding unlocks in Chapter 1 after "YOU KILLED OUR FATHER, PREPARE TO DIE" dude shows up, right?

I just have my healers on AI. They're actually pretty competent. Everyone else seems to be too much of an idiot to be left on AI. I would probably cruise on AI for easy random battles, but that's about it.

Joule

Yaweee said:
Exorcism and Resurrection, for the most part, as well as the DIVINE recruit skill (only useful for Divine Knights in San Bronsa). You could just expend Exorcism scrolls when the need arises, but that can get really expensive for some battles.

Resurrection is so costly though at 100MP.

Feels like Clerics are really gimped in this game. They can't even cast offensive divine magic or heal that much better than other classes for a long time (I don't even have the 3rd tier heal spells yet). Compounded with 3 move and inability to use meditate to keep the MP reserves up is a sad face. Mother's Blessing is okay but it doesn't get that much use.

Yaweee

Joule said:
Resurrection is so costly though at 100MP.

Feels like Clerics are really gimped in this game. They can't even cast offensive divine magic or heal that much better than other classes for a long time (I don't even have the 3rd tier heal spells yet). Compounded with 3 move and inability to use meditate to keep the MP reserves up is a sad face. Mother's Blessing is okay but it doesn't get that much use.

Yeah, I agree, they're really not all that fantastic. It can be nice to have somebody sitting back healing, but there are other classes that can that aspect as well, especially given how little Heal/II/III/IV scale with stats.

creid

Yaweee said:
It's usually easy to keep 1 or 2 story characters in your group to leech exp from story missions. It's not quick, but they'll get usable eventually.

You can also go back to random battles. Random battles have:

- a set number of units to fight based on the area
- a minimum enemy level based on the area
- The actual level of the enemies based on the highest person you bring

So you could go in to battle with a bunch of lowbies and fight a bunch of other lowbies.
I need skill points more than experience, but I guess doing that'll work too. Sticking in a weak character seems like a waste of a slot, but I might try it out if the next few battles aren't too tough.

So I beat this game just now for the second time, been forever since the first time. Anyway still amazing as can be. Though I do not place it above War of the Lions. I just feel like FFT is the more refined game in every single aspect, from gameplay to story, whereas Tactics Ogre is a bit convoluted in all respects. But it's an extremely minor criticism because when you learn it it's very gratifying.

One of the best games ever, now what to do....*le sigh*.

Decado

Chairman Yang said:
No. Tactics Ogre is special in the SRPG world. The gameplay is unusually balanced, the gameplay is much more intuitive (fewer crazy/weird "systems" to get a handle on), and it's virtually alone among SRPGs in having a great story with superb writing. I'd recommend Tactics Ogre to a lot of people; I wouldn't give the same recommendation for the SRPG genre.

There are a few other great SRPGs, though. FFT is an obvious choice. Valkyria Chronicles is very different and has a lot of problems, but it's great too. Finally, check out Devil Survivor on the DS.
Out of curiosity, how does jeanne de arc hold up against FFT and TO?

If jeanne de arc is up there I may have to pick up a used PSP or something (just want to play TO, really, and jeanne de arc would make two).

Yaweee

Decado said:

If jeanne de arc is up there I may have to pick up a used PSP or something (just want to play TO, really, and jeanne de arc would make two).

Jeanne D'arc is too simplistic, too easy, and far, far too slow. There's a ton of good design decisions in the game, but overall it ends up being twice as long as it should be.

Minsc

Gold Member
Decado said:

Don't forget Wild Arms XF, another highly regarded SRPG.

Wonder if all this exposure from TO will help next week's Phantom Brave release get any more notice? Probably not, though I'm not even sure if it's any good, likely your run of the mill NIS SRPG like the rest of em. Still, amazed at how huge this thread is, especially given it is yet to be released in Europe (comes out tomorrow I think).

Yaweee said:
Magic is actually really good, but you need the most powerful spells available and the correct skills for it. The various spell elemental buffs and debuffs can help too. If your caster is a lower level than the enemy, though, you may have issues.

Magic gets super nasty late game when you get access to powerful area of effect magic. Plus with tactician II + meditate, you can recover 60 MP every turn, so MP isn't a big issue anymore. Debuffs become less useful as spellpower rises though. Why use a debuff on a single target (or a weaker debuff on a small area) when you can cause heavy damage to multiple units?

Other than units using two swords, I've found offensive magic to be the most powerful weapon late game.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Magic gets super nasty late game when you get access to powerful area of effect magic. Plus with tactician II + meditate, you can recover 60 MP every turn, so MP isn't a big issue anymore. Debuffs become less useful as spellpower rises though. Why use a debuff when you can cause heavy damage to multiple units?

Other than units using two swords, I've found offensive magic to be the most powerful weapon late game.

How far in to the end-game content are you? Anything particularly challenging? All of these "just use archers!" posts here and on GameFAQs are disheartening if everything turns out to be that easy, even the things that Archers are supposed to be weak against. I've heard basically nothing at all about the 12 Generals sidequest.

I'm only level 17 very near the end of the game (just prior to C4's big decision), so all my of balance comments have been for the low levels only.

Yaweee said:
How far in to the end-game content are you? Anything particularly challenging? All of these "just use archers!" posts here and on GameFAQs are disheartening if everything turns out to be that easy, even the things that Archers are supposed to be weak against. I've heard basically nothing at all about the 12 Generals sidequest.

I'm only level 17 very near the end of the game (just prior to C4's big decision), so all my of balance comments have been for the low levels only.

I'm level 40 right now and have already beat most of the post-game content. I've actually found archers becoming less and less useful. They aren't nearly as effective against strong beast/dragon units. They're still good, but dual weapon users and mages easily eclipse them in terms of damage done and utility. Even
Azelstan
using a 1H gun and !H sword, does better range damage than Arycelle, though with less range and no double shot.

creid

Basileus777 said:
Magic gets super nasty late game when you get access to powerful area of effect magic. Plus with tactician II + meditate, you can recover 60 MP every turn,
How does this work? I thought Tactician only increases your max TP? And wouldn't Meditate only generate that much at high levels?

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
I'm level 40 right now and have already beat most of the post-game content. I've actually found archers becoming less and less useful. They aren't nearly as effective against strong beast/dragon units. They're still good, but dual weapon users and mages easily eclipse them in terms of damage done and utility.

How many hours are on your file, if you don't mind me asking? Were the DLC fights cool?

creid said:
How does this work? I thought Tactician only increases your max TP? And wouldn't Meditate only generate that much at high levels?

Tactician is a passive ability, it just raises how quickly you earn TP. Meditate only costs 15, so it's not hard to earn enough to do it every turn. Meditate only restores that much on higher ranks, but when you are using it all the time and fighting dozens and dozens of postgame battles, it ranks up pretty quickly. And it's not like MP restoring items are all that rare at that point in the game.

Yaweee said:
How many hours are on your file, if you don't mind me asking? Were the DLC fights cool?

It says about 90 hours, but I left it on while I wasn't playing a bunch.

So far the DLC has been pretty nice, but I haven't finished it yet. I'm about
to get Lans now.
Going through the Palace of the Dead wasn't really fun, and
the fight to save warren is pretty much identical to the final boss.

anddo0

Yaweee said:
Yes, they follow the regular Random battle rules. The highest character you bring determines their level.

Thanks.

I managed to get my first two recruits in the wildwood. However, one of them went from lvl 15 to lvl 4 after I recruited them. Why is that? The recruit in question is a swordmaster.

anddo0 said:
Thanks.

I managed to get my first two recruits in the wildwood. However, one of them went from lvl 15 to lvl 4 after I recruited them. Why is that? The recruit in question is a swordmaster.

New classes always start at level 1, even if you are recruiting them from the enemy. I imagine this is to prevents exploits where you could bypass leveling your own team by recruiting.

Yaweee

anddo0 said:
Thanks.

When you recruit a character, they follow the class levels as you've leveled them, not what you hired them ass. So, if he was your first swordmaster, he dropped down to level 1. However, he also gained EXP for the battle he was recruited in, which is often enough to jump from 1->3 or 1->4.

He still gets to keep spells and skills he had from being level 15, fortunately, just not usable until you have the required level.

Dammit. You can't scavenge skills and give them to Canopus. I was hoping I could use this as a way to give him tactician, and fusils (for the Buccaneer class). My dreams of a flying pirate using guns are over.

Ahhh, this thread is killing me.

I just finished up Peace Walker and was looking for something new to play on the bus ride. I've got a cart sitting on Gamestop right now with Valkyria Profile: Lenneth, Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe and MH: Freedom Unite all ready to go for the B2G1 sale. But as the same time, Final Fantasy Tactics is probably my favorite game of all time, SRPG is my favorite genre, and I've never played Tactics Ogre. I need this don't I? $40 is just killer for a portable game, but I think I should just suck it up to play the game that I really want as opposed to three games that I kinda want.

Yuterald

TheFightingFish said:
Ahhh, this thread is killing me.

I just finished up Peace Walker and was looking for something new to play on the bus ride. I've got a cart sitting on Gamestop right now with Valkyria Profile: Lenneth, Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe and MH: Freedom Unite all ready to go for the B2G1 sale. But as the same time, Final Fantasy Tactics is probably my favorite game of all time, SRPG is my favorite genre, and I've never played Tactics Ogre. I need this don't I? $40 is just killer for a portable game, but I think I should just suck it up to play the game that I really want as opposed to three games that I kinda want.

Fuck those other games! (although VP and MH are great too!) Seriously, if you are any kind of SRPG fan and you love FFT you NEED to play this game. I am nearing Chapter 4 and for me this game has reclaimed the throne as the best SRPG ever, the PSPGOTY, and probably my GOTY. This game is PACKED and $40 is a steal. There is more content in this game than really any current gen $60 time sink. PURCHASE IT.

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
You bastard. D:

....Lords can use 1h swords right?

Lords can equip virtually anything, by many understanding. Just skimming through my current gear, he can equip every single thing I have except wizard armor (robe, circlet, etc.) and every single Arcana that I have except Ninjutsu and presumably the war dances.

However, at least at level 1, it doesn't have ANY skills to learn, except additional skill slots. You get 5 marks for the class, so I guess it is meant to alternate to other things to grab skills once you have a huge surplus?

Masaki_

I'm on chapter 4 and
and Denam and Catiua just need to fuck already. Fortunately, the game is kind enough to let you save before the decisive conversation with Catiua, so I could go back and choose the right options.

So I love strategy games, jrpgs, and the psp. I owned one for a month when crisis core came out.

Worth buying one for this + xenogears psn + peace walker + ghost of sparta?

Wait for NGP instead?

Lord can use almost every single support skill (no fusils though) and all elemental magic + draconic magic. They don't get a ton of actions skills, but they do get mighty impact and phalanx.

So I finally had time to really dig into the game (still on Chapter 1) and what the hell is wrong with
Cistina? Could she be any more of an idiot? I used the healing spell as an item with Canopus a couple of times, and was almost finished with the battle when she decided to run up to the top of the map. I've done this damn thing 5 times now with the same result. Is it even worth saving her
? :(

7threst

I'm drooling all over this topic as I am still waiting for my copy to arrive...
Dutch postal service is really testing out my patience grmbl... :(

Skilletor

JLateralus said:
So I finally had time to really dig into the game (still on Chapter 1) and what the hell is wrong with
Cistina? Could she be any more of an idiot? I used the healing spell as an item with Canopus a couple of times, and was almost finished with the battle when she decided to run up to the top of the map. I've done this damn thing 5 times now with the same result. Is it even worth saving her
? :(

Yeah, that battle was stupid. And by that battle, I mean her.

I finally saved her by giving my one of my rune knights the lobber item and moving them to her. Afterwards, I said the wrong thing and she got all uppity and peaced out. >:[

Made myself grind through
Hanging Gardens
. Can't say I really enjoyed that, but the ending was good.

I have definitely burned myself out on SRPGs for a while with this.

scorpscarx said:
So I love strategy games, jrpgs, and the psp. I owned one for a month when crisis core came out.

Worth buying one for this + xenogears psn + peace walker + ghost of sparta?

Wait for NGP instead?

I love the PSP. But NGP is out Holiday 2011 right? If price is not a huge issue, I would totally wait for at least the price of the NGP to be announced before I picked up a PSP. If Sony manages to come in at a reasonable price you'd probably want to take that option.

GhaleonQ

If you guys didn't notice my Alexander O. Smith topic, look for the new one I'll make once I get pictures back. I KNOW THINGS ABOUT MATSUNO. Also, he said neat things about translating this.

Yaweee

Oh the horrible things hidden in the Warren Report. Guess I should have recruited
Ozma
when I had the chance. The battle was too hard, but time sensitive. Looks like that will be my second stop once I get WORLD.

It's like the developers decided to tuck away the most fucked up bad things to happen to characters in response to you making the wrong choices. See:

Raviness' death
Ozma's criplification
Cerye's implied rape

As soon as this music started, I thought, "YES! This is definitely Iwata!" It's so GOOD.

Also, I really enjoy the composer/arranger comments in the Music section of the Warren Report (Warren Report itself is a great track).

I finally finished all the DLC. The last DLC sequence was pretty good. I wonder how different it would be in a playthrough
where Vyce and Catiua are dead.
It's actually kind of a shame that they make you go all the way through the Palace of the Dead in the DLC, because the sequence at the end of the DLC is something everyone should see.

All the hints about the future make me sad that there will likely never be another game in the series.

Yaweee said:
Ozma's criplification

What how does that happen? I assumed
she just died if you didn't recruit her.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man the more I hear about this game the more I want to try it and see if I would even like it... too bad there's no demo.

I guess I'll watch for the UMD price drop somewhere. This game sounds like it may be up my alley, but I'm not sure if I really want to invest heavy into a SRPG...

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
I finally finished all the DLC. The last DLC sequence was pretty good. I wonder how different it would be in a playthrough

All the hints about the future make me sad that there will likely never be another game in the series.

Yeah, basically. If you advance the plot without recruiting her, that's what happens.

Basileus777 said:
It's actually kind of a shame that they make you go all the way through the Palace of the Dead in the DLC, because the sequence at the end of the DLC is something everyone should see.

I got a question. Do your Denab shop sell marks for
Lancelot, luria, and Warren classes?
Mines doesn't for some odd reason.

Crakatak187 said:
I got a question. Do your Denab shop sell marks for
Lancelot, luria, and Warren classes?
Mines doesn't for some odd reason.

She does. Are you checking the store during the postgame (where it's always at Grimby)?

Crakatak187 said:
I checked in all chapters and nothing. I think my data is bugged then.

Have you
recruited Deneb?
I can't remember if I first bought any of the marks before I did so, maybe it's a requirement.

Top Bottom