• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

bobbytkc said:
They are in many ways similar, but Tactics Ogre gives you some choices in the game with far reaching consequences to the plot. The levelling structure is also different since you level up entire classes instead of characters, so all characters in the same class will have the same level. The battles also tend to last longer since you can deploy more characters.

But otherwise, I would say they are quite similar yea.
OK, I figured they would be very similar. Reading all the hype I thought that it might be very different. Not that there's anything wrong with being excited about a new FFT-like game, I just thought that maybe part of the excitement was due to the game being drastically different.

I'm kind of of two minds on purchasing the game. On the one hand, FFT is one of my favorite games, I've heard that TO is better balanced and it's harder to build characters that will wipe the floor will anything the game throws at you by the end, and I'd like to support the game's release because I think it's cool that a game with this graphics style and gameplay has been released. But on the other hand, I've played FFT (and A and A2) to death, and while I'm sure I would have fun with the game, I'm also sure that it'd be similar enough that I'd never really get the fun of discovering good class combinations and forming strategies since I'd just play the game as basically a set of new levels for FFT.

Peff

FSLVL.jpg

lSbZw.jpg

DcHwo.jpg

So good <3

^ Envy so much envy. I woke up around 5am, I need to study but instead I told myself man screw this I need to level up my beastmaster and tame more dragons before heading to work in four hours. Do I have it bad? Perhaps. Is this game worth that kind of investment? As the great father is my witness, very much so.

Totakeke

Just finished the Chaos Path.

I'm tempted to start a new game before doing any of the sidequests and post-game stuffs and go for the no Incapacitation title because World doesn't reset your counts.

But then I'm not sure I'm ready for the potential frustration, heh.

Zwei

Peff said:
FSLVL.jpg

lSbZw.jpg

DcHwo.jpg

So good <3

So good indeed. I am so jealous that the U.S. didn't get a Tactics Ogre premium edition. D:

Truth be told, I've imported a copy... and actually, I may order a second one, just to keep it sealed... jesus, I've become worse than comic book nerds.

creid

So I'm in Chapter 4, about to head to
Barnicia Castle
. I'm browsing some old FAQs that say you have to go run through 30 or so floors of Hell's Gate (which I assume is the Palace of the Dead in this version) before attempting the final dungeon. Is that really true? My characters are ~lv18 right now, where am I going to want to be for the last battle?

Totakeke

creid said:
So I'm in Chapter 4, about to head to
Barnicia Castle
. I'm browsing some old FAQs that say you have to go run through 30 or so floors of Hell's Gate (which I assume is the Palace of the Dead in this version) before attempting the final dungeon. Is that really true? My characters are ~lv18 right now, where am I going to want to be for the last battle?

No. I don't think you have to worry about progression if it's just the main story battles, just follow along and you'll level fine.

Does the artbook just contain art with no lore or stuffs like that?

Zwei

JLateralus said:
Dammit. Guide order at Barnes and Noble delayed. How many copies of this did they print? 15?

Yeah, this guide situation is f'd up. I hear that certain Gamestops and Gamestop.com has them in stock, though. I've been hesitant to cancel my Amazon order since it only costs $12.50 and I got free shipping.

Whenever I get my hands on one, though, it will make for some great reading material for when I'm on the crapper.

Yaweee

Note on difficulty level:

Through most of the Chapter 4 various endgame quests start unlocking. All of these missions are level 20/21, but story missions at the end of C3are only 16 as a I recall. So you have access to content much harder than the main missions, until it quickly ramps up to the 20/21 at the 2nd to last area.

The only reason why you'd need to level well beyond that is due to how long the last dungeon can be. Don'y want to get stuck in there and lose a bunch of time.

Zwei said:
Yeah, this guide situation is f'd up. I hear that certain Gamestops and Gamestop.com has them in stock, though. I've been hesitant to cancel my Amazon order since it only costs $12.50 and I got free shipping.

Whenever I get my hands on one, though, it will make for some great reading material for the crapper.

Yeah, I usually order everything from Amazon, but Barnes said they would have it yesterday at the same price. No Gamestop around me has it, according to the store locator. :(

duckroll

Yaweee said:
Note on difficulty level:

Through most of the Chapter 4 various endgame quests start unlocking. All of these missions are level 20/21, but story missions at the end of C3are only 16 as a I recall. So you have access to content much harder than the main missions, until it quickly ramps up to the 20/21 at the 2nd to last area.

The only reason why you'd need to level well beyond that is due to how long the last dungeon can be. Don'y want to get stuck in there and lose a bunch of time.

I noticed the enemies in the pirate town were lvl20/21, but my lvl18 party had no problems with that mission. I'm really enjoying my 4 Gryphon setup, because it allows me to do all sorts of cheap shit, like have the Gryphons move very quickly to surround the boss, or to use boulders to take out all the healers, all the while the rest of my army engages the other units, preventing them from focusing on any single one of my units.

I think I'm in love with this configuration. Definitely want to level my Gryphons up more. Rawwwwwrrrr!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I bought and played the PS1 version of this game, but stopped after a couple of hours - mainly because I disliked the class system and the game was way too hard for me. In hindsight, I also think it was because of me playing and loving FFT to death before getting into TO.
Not sure if they made any changes in the PSP version regarding my issues all those years ago (or if I made a different choice in the story), but I find it much easier this time around. Also, it took a while to get familiar with the class system but I'm starting to understand and appreciate it now. For a person like me who loved FFT, this is a very similar game - which is awesome. And I love being able to make choices in the story! Also, am I just imagining things, or are there songs in TO:LUCT that also appear in FFT? I've heard at least one that felt very similar.

My only complaint so far is the menu system. I find it a hassle to shop for new weapons and armor and not being able to see the difference it makes on a character before buying (unless I've missed something?), and not being able to equip it without leaving the store all the time. Sometimes I buy 7-8 items and end up forgetting what I just bought. :(
And I really don't see the point with, for example, first learning the skill air magic, and then having to buy and learn the air magic spells in a different menu for every character - they could've just let them unlock when the required level is met (unless spells get really expensive later on?).

Yaweee

duckroll said:
I noticed the enemies in the pirate town were lvl20/21, but my lvl18 party had no problems with that mission. I'm really enjoying my 4 Gryphon setup, because it allows me to do all sorts of cheap shit, like have the Gryphons move very quickly to surround the boss, or to use boulders to take out all the healers, all the while the rest of my army engages the other units, preventing them from focusing on any single one of my units.

I think I'm in love with this configuration. Definitely want to level my Gryphons up more. Rawwwwwrrrr!

Yeah, I can handle 21 BOSSES with 16 units, but the moment you get a "kill everybody!" mission, you're fucked.

Gryphons, Dragons, and Octopi are simply fantastic. I can easily field a team with 10 of them, but I hold back and try to spread my leveling love. Gryphons have the worst TP abilities of them by far, and don't have good armor, but the mobility is amazing. I'll have to upload a hilarious screenshot I took of my party configuration for 'The Grand Stairway' in Chapter 4.

Leveling low units is proving to be super fun; the minimum level in Phorampha is 7, so as long as you don't bring anything higher you'll fight low level units. Just bringing a newbie team and fight shit at your own level.

It also helps that I can run to the first two areas near Almorika and just solo with Lord Denam. 1->5->8->10->12

What classes get +Mov passives?

duckroll

I need to level my dragons. They're all lvl3-4, which is pretty shitty, and it means they can't hold their own if I field a full dragon team on the first map of the wildwoods, since the enemies start at lvl7. Once I get them up to lvl7-8, it should be fun times.

It's pretty cool how viable monster parties are in the game. It definitely adds a lot of variety to the gameplay options.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
I need to level my dragons. They're all lvl3-4, which is pretty shitty, and it means they can't hold their own if I field a full dragon team on the first map of the wildwoods, since the enemies start at lvl7. Once I get them up to lvl7-8, it should be fun times.

It's pretty cool how viable monster parties are in the game. It definitely adds a lot of variety to the gameplay options.

I also really like all of the demi-human races and their unique classes. Juggernauts and Familiars seems fantastic.

It's a shame they made the maximum party size so low. it's not even enough for one of every class, let alone multiples of specific monster types =(

Peff

Totakeke said:
Does the artbook just contain art with no lore or stuffs like that?

The only text is the copyright in five languages in the very last page of the book. It has a section with character art/names, then pages for the classes with male and female artworks, the flags of the different factions and finally the tarot cards. The instruction booklet is surprisingly big and in colour too.

shahkur

Alright, time for me to join the party. Never played the original, so new to it. Got the Premium edition here in the UK. PSP is charging ATM so still waiting. I figured I'd use the Vagrant Story discount and so I dloaded it. But WTF at 93MB? This is the full game, right? Must be compressed as shit or something. Other PSone classics on there haven't been THAT small, 400MB at least. Oh well. Got 2 AWESOME games to play on my PSP which should last me a long time, provided I dont get bored. :)

Yaweee

shahkur said:
Alright, time for me to join the party. Never played the original, so new to it. Got the Premium edition here in the UK. PSP is charging ATM so still waiting. I figured I'd use the Vagrant Story discount and so I dloaded it. But WTF at 93MB? This is the full game, right? Must be compressed as shit or something. Other PSone classics on there haven't been THAT small, 400MB at least. Oh well. Got 2 AWESOME games to play on my PSP which should last me a long time, provided I dont get bored. :)

Vagrant Story had only the opening CG as far as FMV is concerned, and no voice.

duckroll

shahkur said:

93meg sounds about right. If you create an ISO of Vagrant Story, and you zip it up, you get a 80meg zip.

Peff

Yes, it's 93 MB. I wasn't going to use the voucher because I have the original disc, but for that price being able to download such an awesome game any time I couldn't resist. If you never played VS, take a look at this and remember that three weapons with good type>>>Six weapons with good class/affinity.

Soulhouf

duckroll said:
93meg sounds about right. If you create an ISO of Vagrant Story, and you zip it up, you get a 80meg zip.
That looks strange to me. I remember the developers said back then they could not include voices or more CG in the game because they wanted it to fit on a single disk.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a good way to kill the Griffin's in the Beast Tamer Chapter 1 battle? I can wait for the other units to come up one by one and kill them, but the beasts come up and throw a wrench in that plan by nearly murdering my units faster than I can heal them.

RDreamer

Is there a way to break the skill Phalanx, because it's really pissing me off. I've just had 3 turns in a row where I couldn't hit the guy I need to for more than 1 point with anything. That skill seems like it's beyond overpowered.

RS4-

TheSeks said:
Is there a good way to kill the Griffin's in the Beast Tamer Chapter 1 battle? I can wait for the other units to come up one by one and kill them, but the beasts come up and throw a wrench in that plan by nearly murdering my units faster than I can heal them.

I stayed in the starting area and just positioned my units in a way that the enemy can't tag team or anything since they can't land in water. When I did it, I didn't know you only had to soften up a gryphon. I just figured that it'd be easier to tackle the enemies a few at a time.

Yaweee

RDreamer said:
Is there a way to break the skill Phalanx, because it's really pissing me off. I've just had 3 turns in a row where I couldn't hit the guy I need to for more than 1 point with anything. That skill seems like it's beyond overpowered.

Yes, the Lizardman/Lamia/Orc class Juggernaut gets the "Intimidate" skill, which can negate any Preparation move (anything that puts up a little star next to the character sprite)

Peff

After all the updating/installing I finally put some time into the game. I'm starting to see the interface problems people mentioned but the rest is zomg. So smooth and slick. The translation is great too, I can't wait to play some more later today.

creid

It's amazing how giddy I get seeing how much Strengthen/Fortify/etc. increases my stats.

Edit:
JudgeN said:
Silly question does Strengthen 1 and 2 stack or do you just go with strengthen 2?
You can only equip one at a time.

Yaweee

JudgeN said:
Silly question does Strengthen 1 and 2 stack or do you just go with strengthen 2?

They don't stack. They can't even be equipped together. It will pop up the "can't equip two skills of the same type" warning.

Most of the time that rule applies only to various ranks of the same skill, but there are some peculiarities.

- All "recruit" type skills are of the same type and can't be equipped together.
- Divine and Dark magics are of the same type, so classes like Lord and Familiar have to pick one or the other.

TommyT

Amazon has a ship date now for the guide:
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on February 11 2011 ():

BradyGames "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Official Strategy Guide"
Estimated arrival date: March 10 2011 - March 24 2011

Man

It's ridiculous that the game has 20+ minutes install time on my PSP GO.

NGP/PS4 better have direct download of runnable client ala Steam and Live.

Minsc

Gold Member
Man said:
It's ridiculous that the game has 20+ minutes install time on my PSP GO.

NGP/PS4 better have direct download of runnable client ala Steam and Live.

Why would you install it on a Go, isn't that pointless since you're not reading from a UMD?

Man

Minsc said:
Why would you install it on a Go, isn't that pointless since you're not reading from a UMD?
No, not the ingame data install.
I mean the Setup file you download from the PS Store onto the XMB OS.

Playing through 2C with a party that beat all the postgame stuff is a joke. Battles consist of moving my units forward until I can one-hit KO the enemy leader. Sometimes I have to wait a few turns to hear the dialogue and hope the guests don't kill the enemy leader before I can hear it.

Masaki_

Ok, this is puzzling me: Does Arycelle get a hidden damage bonus? Because her attack stat is lower than those of my strongest characters, but she still deals a lot more damage than them.

Man

First super early impressions:

Love the music
Love the GUI, Icons, font etc.
The game graphics are more detailed than I expected, for example: a light bream through a window showing animating dust etc.

I haven't even fought yet so this is just the first ten minutes... It's too late and I'm too tired.
Will put actual time into this when I'm fresh on the morrow.

Masaki_

Decide to take some screenshots just to show how weird this is.

Here's how much damage Denam does to this enemy.

http://i.imgur.com/Sdj77.png[img]

And here's how much Arycelle does to the same enemy.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wbXK6.png

And here are their stats: (second image has some spoilers)

AQSiG.png

http://i.imgur.com/cjtEP.png[img]

Why?

Yaweee

Masaki_ said:

Damage Types, Armor Types, and skills? More information is needed. At the very least, Denam's seems to be slashing, and Ary's is piercing. +1 Weapons also sometimes add more specific damage buffs as well.

Damage can be weird like that. To the same enemy, from the same direction:

Unit 1: Has 999 attack uses dagger (predator knife), does 284 damage
Unit 2: Has 999 attack, uses 1h katana (Superior Brahma), does 314 damage
Unit 3: Has 971 attack, uses 1H sword (Brynhildr), does 116 damage

Elements, damage types can matter a lot. And some weapons (ie daggers) use base stats in different ways. I'm actually wondering if the reason Unit 3 does so much less damage is because he isn't using augment elemental.

Masaki_

The thing is she deals more damage to all enemies, I don't think they all are weak to piercing damage. Even if they were, that wouldn't explain Canopus also dealing less damage, since he also uses a bow and has a higher attack value than Arycelle.

I tested it again after putting Augment Light on unit 3, and now he does 249 damage in the same situation. His attack is now only a bit higher on the stat sheet, (999 opposed to 971), that suggests to me that 999 is the cap that it will display, but attack can go higher than 999.

When using elemental weapons, augment element can have a huge impact on damage. With all the elemental weapons you get late game, every unit should be using augment element then.

Top Bottom