• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Ok, I found your answer. You need to
recruit Deneb.
I dismissed her and then went to the shop and all the special marks were gone. The dragon ones were still there, so I'm not sure why you can't buy those.

Ahh I see thank you. You're the only one that figured it out for me. Everybody else I asked wondered what the hell I was talking about.

I think I don't have any dragon mark because I haven't captured any yet. I'm going to start leveling beastmaster right now.

Masaki_

I was wondering about two things:

1. What's the best way to make money on Chapter 4?

2. Where can I get more Warlock marks?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wait ninja's can't equip 1h swords?

What have I been doing up until now!!

Xena

I'm loving the game so far! My only complaint is the crafting system - it is just way too inefficient; I wish we could mass produce items because it's a chore crafting dozens of medicines, for example.
Everything else though - storyline, gameplay, soundtrack and such.... they are amazing.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Been playing the game extensively lately, but maybe you guys can help me answer some questions:

Does the rune fencer get any better in the game? I have one at level 20 now, and the pitiful damage he does is making me feel like I should drop the class altogether.

Also, is it me or does every melee class seem useless after I get a ninja? Seems like having a couple of dragoons for beasts and dragons and ninjas for everthing else is the way to go. I've been trying various combinations of knights, terror knights, white knights and rune fencers and they seem pretty much useless.

Should I change all my clerics to a white knight? I am asking because they recover mp too slowly to be efficient in healing anyway, and they take damage too easily. Also, they are not really fun to use.

Also, for mages, is it better to learn multiple elements or just focus on one? I am asking because spells are expensive, and so far, they don't seem to warrant the cost (I'm in chapter 3). Right now, I prefer to keep archers around rather than mages because they have far better range and damage and stay alive better, and also because tremendous shot is so useful.

What is the best way to use a rogue? Mine does next to no damage unless I use sneak attack, and he sustains damage so easily that I'm thinking of dropping the rogue too.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Yes I can confirm those dragon marks are after auctioning dragons.

I know this is obvious, but I can capture dragon and use my job change to change it to another dragon and buy the marks so I don't have to find a unique dragon if I already have the mark.

bobbytkc said:
Does the rune fencer get any better in the game? I have one at level 20 now, and the pitiful damage he does is making me feel like I should drop the class altogether.

Hybrid fighter/mages don't work particularly well in this game because characters have to be specced toward one or the other. That is, mages need to have spellcraft, augment elemental, and equipment that boosts INT or their spells will do terrible damage. The Rune Fencer really suffers from this, and isn't really useful other than as a support character who can heal and use boon of swiftness.
Also, is it me or does every melee class seem useless after I get a ninja? Seems like having a couple of dragoons for beasts and dragons and ninjas for everthing else is the way to go. I've been trying various combinations of knights, terror knights, white knights and rune fencers and they seem pretty much useless.

Ninjas are the best damage dealing generic class. But they don't have great defense, so you can't build a whole team out of them. Knights are tanks, use them to soak up damage, restrict enemy movement with rampart aura, and occasionally heal. Terror Knights aren't that great, they are mediocre at a bunch of different things, but can use status effect magic.

Should I change all my clerics to a white knight? I am asking because they recover mp too slowly to be efficient in healing anyway, and they take damage too easily. Also, they are not really fun to use.

Use MP restoring items early on in battle to help with the MP problems. Knights' spell selection is a lot more limited than those of Clerics, so it's worth keeping one around as a dedicated healer/buffer. Boone of swiftness is very useful.
Also, for mages, is it better to learn multiple elements or just focus on one? I am asking because spells are expensive, and so far, they don't seem to warrant the cost (I'm in chapter 3). Right now, I prefer to keep archers around rather than mages because they have far better range and damage and stay alive better, and also because tremendous shot is so useful.

Archers are better than mages early in the game, though that changes a bit when you start getting access to some of the later game spells. Don't forget about the status effects magic can cause, they can be quite useful. Use items and teach your offensive mages meditate to help with the MP problems.

You can go either way with the elements. Focusing on one lets you level up the augment skill quicker and gives you skill slots to use on other things, but having two elements gives you access to more buff/debuff spells. It's not really worth having two elements if you are mostly using just direct attack magic.
What is the best way to use a rogue? Mine does next to no damage unless I use sneak attack, and he sustains damage so easily that I'm thinking of dropping the rogue too.
Rogues are kind of like a poor man's Ninja. They can do a lot of damage with daggers and sneak attack, but are very frail.

jiggle

anyone know how i can get past floor 3 in palace of the dead?
i need to get to 4 and 5 to get me some hydras

bobbytkc said:
not as a damage dealer
but it's pretty good for hasting other members out in the front line
also for casting heal and using hp items
esp in stages where healers need to focus on exorcism

bobbytkc said:
i felt the same way lol
although i heard terror knights are great for debuffing
i already have a wizard for that
knights and white knights kinda suck...

bobbytkc said:
clerics are great
just don't wait for them to recover mp
always start off the battle using mp item on them
better if u do so on non cleric jobs that have lower RT
this way, clerics can start hasting everyone at their very first turn

bobbytkc said:
i find damage spells to be pretty useless
debuffing spells are great
and dark element provides a ton of great ones so you don't really need to buy the other elements

In floor 3 of the palace of the dead you have to find a hidden door before finishing the battle.

The door is to the left wall past those platforms. It's up on a ledge surrounded by poisonous marsh.

Direct attack magic is highly stat dependent. INT boosting equipment, spellcasting skill level, and augment elemental rank have a huge effect on it. Getting access to these things and area of effect attack magic, really makes direct attack magic shine late game.

The opposite kind of happens with debuffs, which are very effective early on in the game, but become comparatively less useful later on.

Totakeke

Basileus777 said:
Direct attack magic is highly stat dependent. INT boosting equipment, spellcasting skill level, and augment elemental rank have a huge effect on it. Getting access to these things and area of effect attack magic, really makes direct attack magic shine late game.

The opposite kind of happens with debuffs, which are very effective early on in the game, but become comparatively less useful later on.

I assume your late game is more like post game, because I'm near the end of the main story and direct damage with the latest non-crafted gear is still pretty pitiful. It's true that it's stat dependent, but it's also very much dependent on the gear of the enemy units. One AOE magic can deal 1 to a unit and like 30 to another. All the enemy magic spells also do like 1 damage total to my Denam and Canopus when they're just 1 level different.

Totakeke said:
I assume your late game is more like post game, because I'm near the end of the main story and direct damage with the latest non-crafted gear is still pretty pitiful. It's true that it's stat dependent, but it's also very much dependent on the gear of the enemy units. One AOE magic can deal 1 to a unit and like 30 to another. All the enemy magic spells also do like 1 damage total to my Denam and Canopus when they're just 1 level different.

That's pretty odd. That's the type of damage rune fencer's and ninja's do when they have no magic equipment or skills. Do your mages have spellcraft and augment elemental?

But yeah, a lot of what I said was "postgame" when you get things like the apocrypha, and level IV spells.

Enemy mages are terrible, there's no debating that. The AI doesn't set them up right and doesn't know how to handle MP.

Jerk

Banned
I take back all the shit I said about Chaos Denem.

He may be entirely too idealistic, but he knows how to follow through.

I can respect that.

Masaki_

Basileus777 said:
Ninjas are the best damage dealing generic class. But they don't have great defense, so you can't build a whole team out of them. Knights are tanks, use them to soak up damage, restrict enemy movement with rampart aura, and occasionally heal. Terror Knights aren't that great, they are mediocre at a bunch of different things, but can use status effect magic.

Wait a sec, Ninjas are actually good? I really didn't bother with them because their base STR seemed low, but I guess double attack compensates for that?

Also, do Dragoons receive a passive damage bonus against beasts/dragons or do they only get it after using one of his skills? I completely neglected Dragoons and non-Human enemies are the ones that give me the most trouble.

And I finally decided to level up my Wizards, because some of the debuffs are very powerful, especially with Spellstrike.

Jerk 2.0 said:
I take back all the shit I said about Chaos Denem.

He may be entirely too idealistic, but he knows how to follow through.

I can respect that.

I think Chaos Denam is on his way to be the new Dynast-King, though that might not be what he wants. I found that possibility extremely badass, regardless.

Masaki_ said:
Wait a sec, Ninjas are actually good? I really didn't bother with them because their base STR seemed low, but I guess double attack compensates for that?

Also, do Dragoons receive a passive damage bonus against beasts/dragons or do they only get it after using one of his skills? I completely neglected Dragoons and non-Human enemies are the ones that give me the most trouble.

Ninjas are excellent because of their great mobility, low RT, and double attack. Generic Ninjas don't have great defense, but their mobility and damage potential make them great for killing softer targets very easily.

Dragoons only get the bonus when activating their skills. But it doubles their damage, so it's still great against beasts/dragons.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Masaki_ said:

Dragoons are indispensible for beasts and dragons. They have a beastkiller and dragon killer skill which (at level 20) deals about 140 dmg per hit to beasts and dragons. At that kind of damage, the TP fills up so quickly that you can practically use it every turn. I usually start the stage with 2 dragoons hitting each other to fill up their TP before the dragons reach me.

Ninja are good for human enemies. Double attack means that they routinely deal 80+ damage against other melee units (I equipped Strength 2 and truestrike) with a chance to instakill weaker enemies like clerics and mages with a critical. Knights deal about half the damage or slightly more of a levelled Ninja, from what I have seen. Also, you can upgrade their movement range, so they move faster and farther than almost every other class.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Basileus777 said:
Dragoons only get the bonus when activating their skills. But it doubles their damage, so it's still great against beasts/dragons.

I am not sure it only doubles. Mine goes to more like 3x or more dmg when I activate it I think.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Crakatak187 said:
I find critical damage problematic. It has robbed me of so many one turn kills because of the damn knock back.

A good strategy is to squeeze enemy units between 2 ninjas, so there won't be a knockback. Otherwise, I just try to hit them with their back against some wall.

Now that I have this game, I'm very much (not) looking forward to traversing Hell's Gate again... twice.

Oh well, Haborym better not be nerfed with Petrify.

Masaki_

Basileus777 said:

Meh, thought they had a passive bonus. And I'm not sure if doubling or even tripling the damage would be enough, because the damage I do to Dragons are so ridiculously low.

SabinFigaro said:
Now that I have this game, I'm very much (not) looking forward to traversing Hell's Gate again... twice.

Oh well, Haborym better not be nerfed with Petrify.

Swordmasters can't use magic anymore, so that method of cheesing battles is gone. Petrify is a single target spell too.

But once you go through Hell Gate once, you can craft items that will let you skip through portions of the dungeon.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Masaki_ said:
Meh, thought they had a passive bonus. And I'm not sure if doubling or even tripling the damage would be enough, because the damage I do to Dragons are so ridiculously low.

Trust me, they are enough. Two dragoons can usually kill a dragon (or come close, at least) in a single turn for me.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
jiggle said:
yeah...
tripling the damage of 1 is still sucky
canopus and archers does a better job at killing them for me...

Damage of 1, serious? I dunno. To be precise, I am equipped with a double handed swond. Maybe that makes the difference.

Totakeke

It's not just doubling, you guys haven't used dragoons before have you.

It's like 30 normal damage, 120-160 with the activated beastslayer or dragonslayer skill.

Masaki_

Totakeke said:
It's not just doubling, you guys haven't used dragoons before have you.

It's like 30 normal damage, 120-160 with the activated beastslayer or dragonslayer skill.

Ok, now that's awesome.

Another question: Swordmasters. Good? Not a big fan of spells that cost me money to cast, so I'm hoping they have a high damage output at higher levels.

Swordmasters are more of a buffing class. They have buff/debuffs with a large area of effect. If you put them next to a bunch of your units and a swordmaster can put strengthen or fortify on all of them. They have some debuffs too, but I can't remember what ones are available on lower levels. I've been using a rare one that charms enemies.

Unless you're using Hobyrim, they are more of a support class.

duckroll

Dragoons do NOT double or triple the damage they normally do when using Beastslayer and Dragonslayer. It's not a multiplier but instead a massive increase against racial damage. A dragoon who typically does even 5 damage or 11 damage against a dragon will deal about a hundred damage against a dragon when you activate Dragonslayer.

Using a spear, if you can get two dragons in a row, that's insanely amazing damage in a single turn. As for the TP cost, definitely consider buffing the defense of dragoons such that they can be front line units against dragons. You WANT them to get attacked as much as possible without dying so their TP can build up radically without having to waste turns while waiting for Dragonslayer. Having heal support in the back helps too.

Later Dragoons can also learn buff skills which give all nearby units racial bonuses when activated as well.

Masaki_

Basileus777 said:
Swordmasters are more of a buffing class. They have buff/debuffs with a large area of effect. If you put them next to a bunch of your units and a swordmaster can put strengthen or fortify on all of them. They have some debuffs too, but I can't remember what ones are available on lower levels. I've been using a rare one that charms enemies.

Unless you're using Hobyrim, they are more of a support class.

Yeah, I'm using him especifically. He has great stats, but I'm not sure if they're going to waste on a class that sucks. And, if I'm not mistaken, each time you use one of the buffs, you consume a fan, right? Or is it like the Samurai skills in FFT that would sometimes cause the weapon to break? As useful as the buffs may be, I simply don't have money to keep using them if that's not the case.

The fans aren't that quite that expensive. They cost about 300 goth. I think the bigger problem with swordmasters is how TP dependent they are. The tactician skill is a must for them.

But if you don't want to use a swordmaster, you should consider turning Hobyrim into a Ninja. With that absurd base DEX stat of his, he can be deadly with daggers and dual attack.

Daggers have a lower base attack, but get the full bonus from dex unlike other weapons. That means characters with high base DEX can do a ton of damage with them.

duckroll

Wow. Just did the first optional story event in the pirate's den. Diego seems awesome. Great to see the new content in the remake feels so consistent in tone with the game itself. Mmmm...

Totakeke

Ninjas are just so awesome with leaping monkey. You essentially get another winged character with low RT and high movement. Swordmasters are.. okay, they still do more damage than a lot of melee classes, but then it's not awesome enough. Their buffs are alright but not something worth spamming as a melee class. Their best skill is Preempt which can make them deal so much more damage then they're supposed to.

I guess the biggest downside to swordmasters is that you have to choose. You can either buff or make another attack. You can either use preempt and hope enough enemies come to hit your swordmaster or you can just use the skill to do extra damage.

Ninjas? Ninjas you just go in and murder units and hope they don't die or get petrified.

Sorry if this has been asked (and I assume it has, I was surprised there wasn't a section in the OP about this since there's no way I'm the only one curious), but: I really, really like all three of the FFT games, and I'm a big fan of turned-based strategy games in general.

I'm considering buying this, but I'm wondering how different this is from FFT. The general consensus seems to be that it's amazing, but is amazing in a "If you love FFT you'll love this too because they're very similar" sort of way, or in a "This game is similar to FFT but feels drastically different" sort of way? If it's the latter I'll probably just wait for a price drop, but if the gameplay is different enough that this isn't FFT under a different name, I want to check it out.

I mean gameplay exclusively, I understand that the games may have very different story atmosphere, but I'm curious how different the gameplay feels in each.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
dr3upmushroom said:
Sorry if this has been asked (and I assume it has, I was surprised there wasn't a section in the OP about this since there's no way I'm the only one curious), but: I really, really like all three of the FFT games, and I'm a big fan of turned-based strategy games in general.

I'm considering buying this, but I'm wondering how different this is from FFT. The general consensus seems to be that it's amazing, but is amazing in a "If you love FFT you'll love this too because they're very similar" sort of way, or in a "This game is similar to FFT but feels drastically different" sort of way? If it's the latter I'll probably just wait for a price drop, but if the gameplay is different enough that this isn't FFT under a different name, I want to check it out.

I mean gameplay exclusively, I understand that the games may have very different story atmosphere, but I'm curious how different the gameplay feels in each.

They are in many ways similar, but Tactics Ogre gives you some choices in the game with far reaching consequences to the plot. The levelling structure is also different since you level up entire classes instead of characters, so all characters in the same class will have the same level. The battles also tend to last longer since you can deploy more characters.

But otherwise, I would say they are quite similar yea.

The difference between Chaos Vyce and Law Vyce is pretty staggering.
Chaos Vyce is a jackass and Law Vyce is actually pretty mature which I didn't expect.

Apparently the final DLC/postgame sequence can only be seen by those on the law path because
you need Vyse, Catiua, and all the Xenobians alive.
Law as the canon path confirmed.

Top Bottom