• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

careful

The_Technomancer said:
I just saw screenshots of this for the first time.

I have never wanted a fucking PSP more then I do right now. I am looking up PSPs on Craigslist right now just for this game.
That's exactly what I did. No regrets whatsoever. Game is fucking amazing. Totally worth that PSP even if I play nothing else on it.

I just read that daggers outclass 1 hand sword in damage because of the damage formula heavily involves Dex.

So yeah I'll be using daggers for melee when possible.

Crakatak187 said:
I just read that daggers outclass 1 hand sword in damage because of the damage formula heavily involves Dex.

I was thinking of switching
Ozma
over to make use of her 56 DEX and combine it with double attack. Mighty impact doesn't work with two weapons right?

Edit: It does work with mighty impact. Talk about a broken combo.

Yaweee

Crakatak187 said:

If you use the "Auto Equip" option and set it to "Maximize Damage", it will pick whichever happens to be better with your current stats. Sometimes it is swords, sometimes daggers.

Yaweee said:
If you use the "Auto Equip" option and set it to "Maximize Damage", it will pick whichever happens to be better with your current stats. Sometimes it is swords, sometimes daggers.

Auto equip takes into considering what weapon skills you have equipped.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Cool, thanks for the tips guys.
I'm not the type of gamer who replays games more than once (too many, not enough time), though the World systems seems to make that a shorter process. I'll see how unfilled I feel after I play through it once.

Yaweee said:
Ah, interesting.

How big is the damage increase for each rank of the weapon skills?

I'm not certain what the exact percentage increase is, but over multiple ranks, it gets pretty significant. Many of my main fighters are maxed at rank 8, and it makes me pretty reluctant to switch weapon types.

Beernf said:
I am thinking about making the main character a Ninja since i just got the class mark. Is this a wise idea?

Denam is makes for a great Ninja because of his good base stats. Ninja is actually one of the best classes in the game. Great movement, double attack. Ninjitsu's attack magic isn't any good, but some of the buff/debuff stuff is nice.

Yaweee

Beernf said:
I am thinking about making the main character a Ninja since i just got the class mark. Is this a wise idea?

Sure. Most of the classes are pretty good once you understand their purpose, and Ninja is (I think) the only way Denam can learn Double Attack (2 one-handed swords at the same time).

I would recommend getting at least one type of Recruit skill for him, though, just for the sake of convenience. It's nice to always have at least one of the races covered.

Beernf

Yaweee said:
Sure. Most of the classes are pretty good once you understand their purpose, and Ninja is (I think) the only way Denam can learn Double Attack (2 one-handed swords at the same time).

I would recommend getting at least one type of Recruit skill for him, though, just for the sake of convenience. It's nice to always have at least one of the races covered.

Yeah, double attack seems pretty powerful. The Ninjitsu magic stuff seemed pretty powerful when a mob was using it against me, but i wasn't sure if i should switch for it.

I will reiterate the stupidity of only being able to slot one recruit skill at a time, especially for Beastmasters. Seems like the only bad design choice in the game to me.

Salsa

careful said:
That's exactly what I did. No regrets whatsoever. Game is fucking amazing. Totally worth that PSP even if I play nothing else on it.

Yep, got a PSP for this. More than worth it.

Yaweee

Beernf said:
Yeah, double attack seems pretty powerful. The Ninjitsu magic stuff seemed pretty powerful when a mob was using it against me, but i wasn't sure if i should switch for it.

I will reiterate the stupidity of only being able to slot one recruit skill at a time, especially for Beastmasters. Seems like the only bad design choice in the game to me.

You kind of have to spec for either Nijutsu or Double Attack due to their dependence on different stats.

Yeah, the recruit skill stuff is mind-bogglingly retarded, but I'd say the entire crafting system is easily the worst design choice in the game, or rather, a giant ball of horrible design choices combined into an unholy union.

protonion said:
So this is out in Europe this Friday.
Quick question:
Is it better than the War of the Lions?

Some aspects are done better, some are worse. It's too early for anybody to really give a reasonable answer. Battles are larger with more characters and at a faster pace, but the customization system for each individual character isn't as interesting. There aren't as many difficulty spikes as WotL, but there is better balance between classes and skills. The story presentation isn't quite as good as WotL, but the branching aspect adds an interesting layer of depth to everything.

Ninjitsu's attack magic will typically do awful damage.

Attack magic generally sucks on characters not deliberately set up for it, you need to put augment elemental, spellcraft, and equip the unit with INT boosting equipment. Even having very high base INT isn't enough to offset things. This is why fighter/mage hybrids are pretty ineffective in this version of the game, at least with regards to direct attack magic.

Beernf

Basileus777 said:
Ninjitsu's attack magic will generally do awful damage.

Attack magic generally sucks on characters not deliberately set up for it, you need to put augment elemental, spellcraft, and equip the unit with INT boosting equipment. Even having very high base INT isn't enough to offset things. This is why fighter/mage hybrids are pretty ineffective in this version of the game, at least with regards to direct attack magic.

Oh i see, you have to spec one or the other. Well in that case since i have had him as a Knight for 12 levels and he has all the physical damage skills i'll keep him going that way =)

I was trying to use my Rune Fencer as much as I could until i gave up around level 10. Dude just never does as much damage as the other classes and the hybrid aspect doesn't seem to help at all. Kind of a shame really.

careful

Beernf said:
From what I played so far (most of Ch.2 with Ninja Denam), the speed is great is the damage is pretty sweet against normal human enemies.
They have pretty weak defense though and the enemies won't hesitate to pound on you, so you wanna make sure to have some kind of frontline healer nearby like a Rune Knight/Valkyrie.

careful

Beernf said:
I was trying to use my Rune Fencer as much as I could until i gave up around level 10. Dude just never does as much damage as the other classes and the hybrid aspect doesn't seem to help at all. Kind of a shame really.
Used as frontline healers I think they're great. They can take and deal more damage than Clerics, have faster speeds and better movement than Knights, and they can unlock Boon of Swiftness quicken buff. They shouldn't be expected to be your main damage dealers, but they're useful to have as a support class.

Jerk

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Denam is makes for a great Ninja because of his good base stats. Ninja is actually one of the best classes in the game. Great movement, double attack. Ninjitsu's attack magic isn't any good, but some of the buff/debuff stuff is nice.

Warrior 4-lyfe :(

At this point, I have invested too much in the 2-Handed sword skill to switch now. If I am lucky, I will get to level 2 soon...

Joule

It's been bothering me for a bit. Why are Witches called Enchantress' and vice versa. Just a mix up?

Just got into chapter 4 and attempted the Alzestan map and suddenly the enemies are level 21 which is 6 levels more than me. I better come back later.

Beernf

careful said:
Used as frontline healers I think they're great. They can take and deal more damage than Clerics, have faster speeds and better movement than Knights, and they can unlock Boon of Swiftness quicken buff. They shouldn't be expected to be your main damage dealers, but they're useful to have as a support class.

I might just be retarded, but i have a hard time telling the difference between a unit who has Boon of Swiftness and one who doesnt. Same with slow. Seems like when i cast slow on a target it doesnt really do much...

Jerk 2.0 said:
Warrior 4-lyfe :(

At this point, I have invested too much in the 2-Handed sword skill to switch now. If I am lucky, I will get to level 2 soon...

Pretty sure Bucaneers can use 1h Swords(
and Denam can learn it from Diego
).

Pirates actually win something for once! :eek:

Peff

GRRRRRR... I actually had the game in my hands today, only to get cockblocked because the computer wouldn't let read the sale. Oh, well, tomorrow!

Yaweee

Joule said:
It's been bothering me for a bit. Why are Witches called Enchantress' and vice versa. Just a mix up?

Just got into chapter 4 and attempted the Alzestan map and suddenly the enemies are level 21 which is 6 levels more than me. I better come back later.

I managed to do it at the same level deficit as you, just as I started chapter 4. It just required bringing my Octopi-- all four of them.

Joule said:

It's because males and females had access to difference classes in the original, and for a lot of the classes here, they just combined them and used each sprite/name as the male/female version of the class.

RoninChaos said:
What does the card part at the start of the game play?
The answers have an effect on Denam's base stats. There are no storyline implications.

I just realized that augment element skills affect physical attacks when using elemental weapons. Finally a use for
Ozma's
ranks in augment ice!

Joule

Basileus777 said:
It's because males and females had access to difference classes in the original, and for a lot of the classes here, they just combined them and used each sprite/name as the male/female version of the class.

But shouldn't it be Wizard/Witch and Warlock/Enchantress? I mean the Enchantress' have the Witch hats. It's a minor niggle though.

Yaweee said:
I managed to do it at the same level deficit as you, just as I started chapter 4. It just required bringing my Octopi-- all four of them.

I suppose that all monster team is gong well for you then.

Acquiesc3

Banned
FFTactics had a lot of overpowered elements (read: insanely powerful + area effect + status effects + no waiting holy sword skills) that made the game unbalanced for me. I'm in chapter 3 in this game right now and am surprised how the challenge has been consistent so far. I also feel the level of challenge is perfect.

Erekiddo

Got a notification from Amazon saying there has been an additional delay for the guide. It wanted me to acknowledge the March 20ish date - but stated they'd attempt to ship before then.

Boo.

The copy my friend (<3) ordered for me just came in! Can't wait to start playing, finally! Been looking forward to this very much; it's my first TO :]

Also, I love the cards. One of my favorite pre-order bonuses in a while.

EDIT: Nooooo! I can't play just yet. Apparently I have to do a system update before I can play, and since my PSP was dead for months...it can't be performed until it has sufficient battery power. UGH!

Yaweee

Joule said:
I suppose that all monster team is gong well for you then.

It isn't quite all monster yet, but I'm getting there. I can easily switch to all monster and do well, but using 4 gryphons and 4 Octopi isn't quite for the mix I'm aiming for. I do have a pretty good variety in my "A" team, though. The demi-humans are really, really interesting in terms of their unique classes, too. There's so many places to go with party composition that people are missing out on by not being Recruitment whores.

Joule

Yaweee said:
It isn't quite all monster yet, but I'm getting there. I can easily switch to all monster and do well, but using 4 gryphons and 4 Octopi isn't quite for the mix I'm aiming for. I do have a pretty good variety in my "A" team, though. The demi-humans are really, really interesting in terms of their unique classes, too. There's so many places to go with party composition that people are missing out on by not being Recruitment whores.

Yeah. Once I saw that those lizard men patriarchs were like mages with 4 move naturally made me take a closer look at what the demi humans had to offer.

I'll definitely try mixing things up when I tackle the C route (I do have one Octopus and a Fairy right now). I also was challenged to do a 12 blowgun run.

Yaweee

Joule said:
Yeah. Once I saw that those lizard men patriarchs were like mages with 4 move naturally made me take a closer look at what the demi humans had to offer.

I'll definitely try mixing things up when I tackle the C route (I do have one Octopus and a Fairy right now). I also was challenged to do a 12 blowgun run.

Blowguns end up the most powerful 1h ranged weapons on the game. Not much of a challenge, imo.

Joule

Yaweee said:
Blowguns end up the most powerful 1h ranged weapons on the game. Not much of a challenge, imo.

I haven't extensively used blowguns much yet but even the early ones seem pretty strong. I think he wanted me to do it with all fairies or something. I think it's more of an aesthetic challenge.

Yaweee said:

They don't do as much damage as guns, but the status effects are nasty. I found a blowgun that does petrify on hit...

Yaweee

Joule said:
I haven't extensively used blowguns much yet but even the early ones seem pretty strong. I think he wanted me to do it with all fairies or something. I think it's more of an aesthetic challenge.

Yeah, and Familiars are a freaking great class. Clerics + Missile spells + Ranged attacks - Exorcism. Good stuff.

Yaweee

Hooray for recruiting 5 characters in one battle, boooooo for there being such a low limit on your army size. 50 isn't even enough for one of every class. I'm up to 37 characters in my class log, and I'm only still at the beginning of Chapter four of my pre-World. 32 Story characters leaves room for only 18 generic slots to cover all beasts, dragons, and demi-humans. That's a pretty dumb design choice for a system with gargantuan memory cards.

At least it was a good time to start selling off my Dragons for the Deneb quest. Still, a limit of 50 is a pretty significant strike against the game imo, in light of how many classes, races, and story characters there are.

There's 53 classes, but you hardly need a dedicated character for each of them, especially for easily interchangeable classes like the golem ones. And there's only 2 classes that you need human generics for.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
There's 53 classes, but you hardly need a dedicated character for each of them, especially for easily interchangeable classes like the golem ones. And there's only 2 classes that you need human generics for.

Yeah, I guess it isn't that bad. I'll just have to not have one of each dragon.

Are Matriarch and Patriarch considered the same class?

Yaweee said:
Are Matriarch and Patriarch considered the same class?

Yes, the name is just different for Lizardmen and Lamia.

Though thinking about the characters I still need to get from chaos/neutral, just using story characters and monsters is going to go right up against the 50 limit. It's an issue.

Top Bottom