• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Yaweee

Masaki_ said:
The thing is she deals more damage to all enemies, I don't think they all are weak to piercing damage. Even if they were, that wouldn't explain Canopus also dealing less damage, since he also uses a bow and has a higher attack value than Arycelle.

Humans often seem to be weak against piercing. Check out the damage against beasts; archers tend to fall apart in those situations.

Totakeke

Masaki_ said:
The thing is she deals more damage to all enemies, I don't think they all are weak to piercing damage. Even if they were, that wouldn't explain Canopus also dealing less damage, since he also uses a bow and has a higher attack value than Arycelle.

How about skills? Anatomy? Weapon skill level?

Totakeke said:

I'm pretty sure weapon skill level is calculated into the attack power number shown on the stat sheet. I know equipping accessories that raise a weapon skill level raises the attack # shown.

Masaki_

Totakeke said:

All of them have Anatomy Rank 1 and Weapon skill level is already added to the attack value.

Yaweee said:
Humans often seem to be weak against piercing. Check out the damage against beasts; archers tend to fall apart in those situations.

Same deal, she still is my strongest character.

And keep in mind her attack isn't higher because she still can't use Strengthen 3.

Masaki_

Totakeke said:
There might be also racial modifiers on those equipment. Ice resistance?

Those enemies did have an accessory that gave them some ice resistance (value 5, I don't know if this is a percentage or not), but that still wouldn't explain my Canopus dealing less damage as well, even though his attack value is 525 and he also uses bows like Arycelle. I really don't know what I'm missing here.

Yaweee

Masaki_ said:
Those enemies did have an accessory that gave them some ice resistance (value 5, I don't know if this is a percentage or not), but that still wouldn't explain my Canopus dealing less damage as well, even though his attack value is 525 and he also uses bows like Arycelle. I really don't know what I'm missing here.

Is your Canopus using Crossbows or Bows? Different damage types, often.

Masaki_

Yaweee said:
Is your Canopus using Crossbows or Bows? Different damage types, often.

He's using Bows. He's a Vartan, though, so maybe they don't do as much damage as Archers, even if they have higher attack.

Xena

JLateralus said:
Dammit. Guide order at Barnes and Noble delayed. How many copies of this did they print? 15?
Hahaha yeah, what a hard guide to find. Not a single GS or other store in a big city had it, but I ended up finding it on another town 35 miles away and got my copy. They only had 3 in that GS...

I have to say, the guide seems very nice, and it contains a lot of information and it's very detailed.

Yaweee

So, screenshot time.

21oprhx.png

ivvbd0.png

Hold the line!
2ymsl0i.png

2gv546o.png

Nearing the end of my first run with some obvious gaps in my class roster. Going to WORLD all three paths before I do the bonus dungeons.

creid

Basileus777 said:
When using elemental weapons, augment element can have a huge impact on damage. With all the elemental weapons you get late game, every unit should be using augment element then.
Does it have to be a high level augment element? Or does even a Lv1 augment element make a noticable difference?

Masaki_

All I can conclude from this is that there is something else determining the amount of damage dealt. Maybe DEX isn't added to the visible attack value, or some weapons are better than others, or Arycelle has a hidden damage bonus.

creid said:
Does it have to be a high level augment element? Or does even a Lv1 augment element make a noticable difference?

I'll have to test it with a different character. The characters I'm using it on have it at a fairly high level (5+) and have equipment on that boosts the augment skill.

Masaki_

Basileus777 said:
I'll have to test it with a different character. The characters I'm using it on have it at a fairly high level (5+) and have equipment on that boosts the augment skill.

So does Augment Element affect elemental weapons like the Ice Blade?

Masaki_ said:
So does Augment Element affect elemental weapons like the Ice Blade?

It does. Equipping the augment element that corresponds with your weapon can have a pretty big effect at higher ranks. I'm just not sure if it's worth it at lower skill level ranks yet.

The unit I tested it on went from doing 116 damage to 249 in the exact same situation. But that was with a high level augment light and several pieces of equipment that boosted the skill. Because of how much of a pain it is to level augment element, it's probably not worth bothering with outside of characters that already use magic, at least until really late game.

Basileus777 said:
I tested it again after putting Augment Light on unit 3, and now he does 249 damage in the same situation. His attack is now only a bit higher on the stat sheet, (999 opposed to 971), that suggests to me that 999 is the cap that it will display, but attack can go higher than 999.

When using elemental weapons, augment element can have a huge impact on damage. With all the elemental weapons you get late game, every unit should be using augment element then.
I see my Denam attack is capped at 999 and I was wondering about that.

Few questions...

1. How many chapters is this game?
2. I need some help with my Ninja...she's currently the same level as all the other characters, but her ninjitsu is incredibly weak. I'm not sure why or what I'm doing wrong, but every time I look to cast it, it's showing it will only do 1-5 damage...what am I doing wrong here? Advice?

MyNameIsRye said:
Few questions...

1. How many chapters is this game?

Four

2. I need some help with my Ninja...she's currently the same level as all the other characters, but her ninjitsu is incredibly weak. I'm not sure why or what I'm doing wrong, but every time I look to cast it, it's showing it will only do 1-5 damage...what am I doing wrong here? Advice?

Attack magic is going to do shit damage unless you set up your characters specifically for it. You need to put skills like spellcraft, and augment element on, and put INT boosting equipment. Unfortunately for Ninjas, their attack magic isn't really good enough to make it worth doing that. Thus the only really useful Ninjitsu magic are the status effect spells.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I love the last fight of the Cressida sidequest. Scads of enemies, a Guest unit to protect, five boss-type units, and best of all,
it tells you the objective is to vanquish Nybeth, but when you do manage to bump him off it tells you "Ha ha, just kidding, you actually have to kill everything."

Though I noticed that there are a lot of units in the fight who look like they should be undead but actually aren't. Which is a bit of a mixed blessing since they don't revive on the one hand, but they also don't take extra damage from the all-Baldur loadout I fitted my dudes with.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
If you think the last dungeon sucks, stay the hell away from the Palace of the Dead and San Bronsa.

No, I've been to Palace in the original. It's good for what it is supposed to be. I just want to get through the last dungeon out of the way and start using WORLD, but I foresee myself grinding my Octopi up another 8 levels so I can just plow through it super fast.

You can also leave those dungeons and keep what you got up to where you are, rather than pissing away all of your time if you get stuck.

Yaweee said:
You can also leave those dungeons and keep what you got up to where you are, rather than pissing away all of your time if you get stuck.

No, you can't. After you finish Palace of the Dead for the first time it is possible to use guides to skip portions of it, but you have to find the ingredients and craft them. And enemies in the Palace of the Dead are always 2-3 levels higher than you, so grinding does nothing.

I actually had to go through the Palace of the Dead completely twice, because I fucked up with WORLD. I finished the game, went back, did the palace, and skipped around again. The thing is, the game doesn't remember what you did with WORLD unless you advance the storyline again from that point. And because the game doesn't give you the option to use the guides unless you've gone through it already, I had to do it all from the beginning again
to get Warren.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
No, you can't. After you finish Palace of the Dead for the first time it is possible to use guides to skip portions of it, but you have to find the ingredients and craft them. And enemies in the Palace of the Dead are always 2-3 levels higher than you, so grinding does nothing.

You can LEAVE the dungeons though, right? They just reset? That's what I was referring to.

And 2-3 levels higher is still a lot better than most of my party is facing in the last dungeon.

And that you can't even use the guides if you did it from a different WORLD point, even if you've done it before, sounds like a genuine fuckup by the developers.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
aceface said:
So I totally just killed a pregnant chick.

And the character you get for offing her ain't even that great. Don't that just beat all?

MrDaravon

Praise Jesus, my Amazon pre-order of the strategy guide just shipped, after being in "Shipping Soon" for about 48 hours. No Gamestops anywhere near me had it in, was starting to worry what was going on with this, anyone who had it pre-ordered might want to check their amazon order status.

aceface

Fimbulvetr said:
Christ, what an asshole.

Well uh...she didn't tell me till afterwards.

I love how you go to the Warren report and it rubs it in too "SHE WAS CARRYING HIS CHILD," I'm surprised it didn't make my title "Baby-killer"

careful

Ok so wtf happened to my Octopus? I'm in the middle of Ch.3C and for a while there at the end of Ch.2 I felt like I could do reasonable damage with accuracy around 70% on boulder throw, but now all of a sudden most of my boulder throws went down to 20-40% accuracy.. wtf? I always had the melee accuracy skill for him and I don't think he gets the range accuracy skill. I'm about to ditch his ass from my main 10-12 for a more reliable damage dealer. Are Griffons or Dragons any better with their attack accuracy?

Yaweee

careful said:
Ok so wtf happened to my Octopus? I'm in the middle of Ch.3C and for a while there at the end of Ch.2 I felt like I could do reasonable damage with accuracy around 70% on boulder throw, but now all of a sudden most of my boulder throws went down to 20-40% accuracy.. wtf? I always had the melee accuracy skill for him and I don't think he gets the range accuracy skill. I'm about to ditch his ass from my main 10-12 for a more reliable damage dealer. Are Griffons or Dragons any better with their attack accuracy?

Is it bad weather? Ranged accuracy dies in the rain. Also, pay attention to the ranged/melee accuracy modifiers in the lower right hand corner of the screen. It depends on terrain.

But generally, yeah, accuracy is the Octopus' weakness. You have to consider how much more frequently they attack compared to Archers, etc. Their Poison Rain is one of the best skills in for much of the game. Also, you could always just use the boulders as ways to spend turns to get in to melee range.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yawee: What view is that 2D square one for "HOLD THE LINE?" Max/zoomed out view? That would be sort-of neat to play with.

Yaweee

TheSeks said:
Yawee: What view is that 2D square one for "HOLD THE LINE?" Max/zoomed out view? That would be sort-of neat to play with.

It's just zoomed out overhead. Hold down square to toggle the camera. The default zoom is fugly.

careful

Yaweee said:
Is it bad weather? Ranged accuracy dies in the rain.

But generally, yeah, accuracy is the Octopus' weakness. You have to consider how much more frequently they attack compared to Archers, etc. Their Poison Rain is one of the best skills in for much of the game. Also, you could always just use the boulders as ways to spend turns to get in to melee range.
FFFFFUUUU could be the rain/snow... I usually don't pay attention to the weather.
Also doesn't Poison Rain only work when the Octopus is in water? I know there's another skill to make pretend you're in water, but by the time you get enough TP for both skills, I imagined it wouldn't be worth it.

Yaweee

careful said:
FFFFFUUUU could be the rain/snow... I usually don't pay attention to the weather.
Also doesn't Poison Rain only work when the Octopus is in water? I know there's another skill to make pretend you're in water, but by the time you get enough TP for both skills, I imagined it wouldn't be worth it.

Oh no, Poison Rain is worth it. Octopi have so much HP that they can run up in front, take damage, and get TP fast. 50 TP in Water, or 85 out of it essentially with Aquaveil. Also, Octopi get Tactician, which increases their TP regeneration right.

Also, check the edit above about Accuracy Modifiers on different terrain. The in-game tutorial notes "Some classes, such as Octopuses, receive greater Accuracy Modifiers on certain terrain"

mandiller

Are there any other Aussies out there going slowly crazy waiting for this game to show up on PSN? It was meant to come at the same time as the EU store update and it was up briefly but pulled before I could get to it.

I keep checking the PS Store every so often in the vain hope it'll appear. Has there been any official word on when it'll come back to the PS Store?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sucks that top down view can't be perma. As soon as you attack it goes back to the isometric view.

Yeah that was a stupid idea for it to switch back. What's the process to unlock
Cressidia? I hate that faq on gamefaqs because it's based off the original and the names are off.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
What's the typical level differential supposed to be for story fights? I'm having a hell of a time at the Oz fight against all of the armored templar guys. They're all level 14, my party is a mix of 12-14. Is that about normal?

I think my approach of going for as diverse a party as possible (ie. only one character per class) is screwing me.

Top Bottom