• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Yaweee said:
The PSP version is much easier to follow due to the revised script.

It's a better script, but I wouldn't say it's easier to follow. The PSX translation had some dumb pop culture references and the language wasn't great, but it was clear and understandable. The plot and characterization didn't really suffer much. It was nowhere near as poor as the translation FFT or many other PSX RPGs got.

Fimbulvetr said:
It's not hard, bro.
I'm not good with names or you can just flat out call me stupid. That being said I'm one of the people who actually know what the hell happened and why stuff happened in MGS2.

Yuterald

I am so close to the Hanging Gardens, I believe, but I can't pull myself from class grinding/crafting. I really need to make sure I AT LEAST clear this game once before all the new March games hit (3rd Bday, TitS, 3DS).

Has anyone else found the joy in crafted equipment? Seriously, these Siege Bows+1 that I have are ridiculously strong. Shadowbind effect on arrow strikes!? It's insane!

timnich

Finally found a guide today at a Chapters. $22 CDN and worth every dollar. Seriously! Sooo much info packed in it. Detailed outlines of every mission and side mission, explanations of every mechanic in the game, class recommendations, on and on. I stopped playing the game at the final battle of chapter 2 about a week ago out of frustration, but now I am fully back into it. I spent nearly an hour today adjusting my team and weapons after reading up on the different classes and skills. I know some of this info can be found on the Internet if not most of it, but having it all in one place makes all the difference. The layout is nicely done, making it easy to read and understand. Definitely recommend picking
this up if you can manage to find it somewhere.

mandiller

Andiie said:
I don't know what's going on.. I'm kind of pissed. Went out today thinking it'd be in, checked six stores and none had the game. Looked like no one was even stocking psp games anymore.

Was really looking forward to playing too :( Oh well, gonna buy it online.

I've seen Tactics Ogre in JB HiFi today, but it still isn't on the PSN Store (I have a PSP Go).

Yuterald said:
I am so close to the Hanging Gardens, I believe, but I can't pull myself from class grinding/crafting. I really need to make sure I AT LEAST clear this game once before all the new March games hit (3rd Bday, TitS, 3DS).

Has anyone else found the joy in crafted equipment? Seriously, these Siege Bows+1 that I have are ridiculously strong. Shadowbind effect on arrow strikes!? It's insane!
I will soon. I'm collecting up on Ancient craft books.

mandiller

Tactics Ogre was just released on the Aussie PSN Store! Thank god for that. I was worried when it wasn't included in the new store update right away. I'm downloading it to my PSP Go right now :D

duckroll

I finally got to the Hanging Gardens. Probably not going in just yet. I actually did some serious crafting before Heim, and wow, it's REALLY useful. The interface is a bit annoying, but it's a really cool system.

Man, everything about this game is really just so good. I find it increasingly hard to actually be bothered by the minor flaws because it's just such an amazing game. OMgggggggggggg Matsuno fangasmmmmmmm.

Chapter IV thoughts....hot nuns?! I'd like to go on the record and say that Olivya design makes her look better than all her sisters. I booted my default cleric once she joined. I like fighting with maple eye candy. On a serious note archers have so such advantages in this game. True that's not all the time but its pretty much most story battles

Masaki_

So, I still don't quite get get how WORLD works. Some minor spoilers;

I decided to go back to a point where I could recruit Sherri, since I missed the chance in my first playthrough. I recruit her, then I jump forward to a later anchor point to complete another quest. Then, I check the Warren Report, and Sherri is still shown as missing. So what do I have to do for changes in the storyline to remain? Do I have to beat the game starting from that point or just until the next anchor point?

Acquiesc3

Banned
The queen's design on the Warren Report is pretty hawt.

I was looking up sidequest on this faq (almost on ch 4) and I got spoiled on who the final boss is. fml

Phatcorns

duckroll said:
It doesn't matter if none of them have level 7 gear. As the game opens up, equipment gets more diverse, and once you get access to crafting you also have options of improving existing equipment over buying new equipment. Not being able to compare stats with existing equipment is really moronic, because it makes it much harder to get info at a glance to make fast and effective decisions in the store itself. Noe being able to instantly jump to the party menu while in the shop makes it even dumber because then you have to leave the shop to check stuff before going back into it again.

Awful.

Is there REALLY no fitting room? I can't believe they could make an oversight like this. I have no idea how they expect us to compare stats without actually buying the weapon or armor and checking in the party menu.

Really my only complaint with the game right now. It's more an inconvenience than a deal breaker.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Yeah, no fitting rooms is one of my few complaints with this game (along with the whole grimoire/magic learning system). It's annoying how the interface is more complicated than it should be especially when you have a large amount of troops you want to maintain. Even more annoying when you have certain classes like Vartan who can wield bows and crossbows, but not EVERY bow or crossbow so you actually waste money buying one you can't equip (if you don't check first).

Other than that, I'm all praise.

Yaweee

finalozzo said:
where can i easily grind?

Anywhere, basically. Just go in to a random battle with only a specific class, and you'll gain over a level per fight. The minumum level and battle size vary from map to map.

I got from 22->26 in less than 30 minutes with my Octopi just walking back and forth between the areas adjacent to Almorika.

Masaki_ said:
So, I still don't quite get get how WORLD works. Some minor spoilers;

I decided to go back to a point where I could recruit Sherri, since I missed the chance in my first playthrough. I recruit her, then I jump forward to a later anchor point to complete another quest. Then, I check the Warren Report, and Sherri is still shown as missing. So what do I have to do for changes in the storyline to remain? Do I have to beat the game starting from that point or just until the next anchor point?

You need to play up to the next Anchor Point, at least, to "save" the story changes, but I think it is more complicated than that.

Having finished the game over the weekend, I think it is easily among the best games in the game, if not THE best, but I'm really disappointed in how they handled the endgame content and some of the gameplay aspects. WORLD is a complete mess, there's huge path favoritism in most of the unique content, the arbitrary divide between what bonus dungeons are available in Chapter 4 and which are available in the post-game 'Coda' chapter (the shrine quest and dungeons must be completed before the second to last dungeon in chapter 4), the crafting system is absolutely terrible, and the low character limit in your party undermines the otherwise huge variety in classes, monsters, and races. The main game is fantastic, but the extra content feels like it needed a few more months of work.

Then there's aspects of the game that I genuinely don't think they play tested at all, like the skill growth rates for certain skills. I was a freaking Beastmaster for most of the game, recruited nearly every single beast I saw, and ended up with 9.8 skill exp. Out of 100 to rank up. Out of 8 total ranks, or something. Steal has a similarly baffling exp rate.

Honestly, I find the lack of a Changing Room to be a non-issue. There are very few instances where it feels vital; eventually, I know "okay, I have these X classes, so I need to keep up to level with these X weapon types"

For anybody still playing the game: WORLD is worth it to just jump back down the SAME path that you're on to grab characters you screwed up with, but seeing the other story paths may be better saved for other files, or postponed until you're done with all of the post-game content (assuming you're Law. If you didn't pick Law, you're fucked and have to do all of the bonus content off of that to get the alternate ending)

And, who knows, I'm still playing the game. Maybe I'll warm up to the screwiness over time. Still, it would be awesome if Japanese developers actually patched games to fix simple problems like the Palace of the Dead completion flag getting discarded, or any of the four distinct failures that cripple the crafting system. Maybe we'll have to wait for Hacktics Ogre to fix some of these issues, sadly.

Finalow

Yaweee said:
Anywhere, basically. Just go in to a random battle with only a specific class, and you'll gain over a level per fight. The minumum level and battle size vary from map to map.

I got from 22->26 in less than 30 minutes with my Octopi just walking back and forth between the areas adjacent to Almorika.
ok, seems easy.

Dryst

Neo Member
Who can recruit winged men? I want to make some more vartans but can't figure out what skill is used to recruit winged men.

Dryst said:
Who can recruit winged men? I want to make some more vartans but can't figure out what skill is used to recruit winged men.

I thought Wingmen were considered humans and could be recruited with Recruit?

Dryst

Neo Member
Haha was just about to delete my post... I couldn't find anything googling it until I changed the search to hawk men and not winged men and found the answer to my question =(

I'm only a few battles into chapter 2 so far, right now my archers do so much more damage than anybody else it's hard not to use a full archer party... I hope they get less useful as the game goes on b/c right now it's kind of breaking the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
MoxManiac said:
Wow, another 400 page guide? Between this and the MvC3 guide, Brady trying to repair their reputation as a guide publisher?

What happened with Brady? Haven't kept up with guides for awhile, did they have a string of shit ones?

Brandon F said:
What happened with Brady? Haven't kept up with guides for awhile, did they have a string of shit ones?

scdi00.jpg

Dryst

Neo Member
JLateralus said:

Haha that's the last strategy guide I ever purchased besides the Tactics Ogre guide... it pissed me off so bad that I stopped playing FFXI after a few hours and never picked it up again.

Yaweee said:
For anybody still playing the game: WORLD is worth it to just jump back down the SAME path that you're on to grab characters you screwed up with, but seeing the other story paths may be better saved for other files, or postponed until you're done with all of the post-game content (assuming you're Law. If you didn't pick Law, you're fucked and have to do all of the bonus content off of that to get the alternate ending)

I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jumping back down the same path and recruiting characters doesn't stay in the warren report unless you advance from that point again. Doing a separate route has little issues with WORLD. I see no reason at all to start a new game for other story paths unless you think the game is getting too easy. To lose postgame progress from a separate path, you would have to overwrite every single anchor point, something that is rather easily avoided.

Yaweee said:
Octopi are the best class in the game, IMO. They attack at Archer range, with faster RT, bigger MOV stat, with a more useful Crushing damage types, have almost 1.5x as much HP, and have stronger and cheaper TP moves that attack a bigger range. I genuinely think somebody fucked up a value or two for Poison Rain, it is just that much better than any other TP move I've encountered. They have reduced accuracy, though, so you really need to pay attention to calming the weather and watching the accuracy modifiers on terrain.

i gave the beasts a try and they're indeed very powerful. been leveling a second party in the forest, trying new classes and builds. fighting vs humanoids is easy, but vs full dragon parties it's still a pain if you go in unprepared.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
I've found the exact opposite to be true. Jumping back down the same path and recruiting characters doesn't stay in the warren report unless you advance from that point again. Doing a separate route has little issues with WORLD. I see no reason at all to start a new game for other story paths unless you think the game is getting too easy. To lose postgame progress from a separate path, you would have to overwrite every single anchor point, something that is rather easily avoided.

Oh, so as long as I keep my Coda start Anchor Point as law, I'm good as long as I don't watch the ending with any of the other paths, meaning I can still get the Chapter 4 characters from Neutral and Chaos? That's a bit of a relief, then.

Yaweee said:
Oh, so as long as I keep my Coda start Anchor Point as law, I'm good as long as I don't watch the ending with any of the other paths, meaning I can still get the Chapter 4 characters from Neutral and Chaos? That's a bit of a relief, then.

Yeah, it's a bit odd at first, but every single anchor point operates independently. Nothing you do somewhere else on the time-line will affect a separate anchor point unless you progress and overwrite it.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Yeah, it's a bit odd at first, but every single anchor point operates independently. Nothing you do somewhere else on the time-line will affect a separate anchor point unless you progress and overwrite it.

Interesting. I was under the impression that doing something like saving Ravness (which I still need to do in Chapter 3) and making it to the next anchor point would mark that event

I've decided to do the 6 Temples in my WORLD Chapter 4, beat the game, then do the Luria sidequest in Coda before WORLDing back to other paths (mostly to grab a few Liches in the pirate graveyard). Is there an Anchor Point between each "episode" of the Coda?

- Since I only have 1 sister, will I only get 1 shaman mark from the Temples?

It is satisfying to go through and fill out all of the different paths in the WORLD map. I'd imagine a full image is mighty impressive-- it keeps track of all the different paths through each of the different bonus dungeons in a properly-structured tree (though not Phorampha). The Palace of the Dead, San Bronsa, and final dungeon must be mighty impressive.

Yaweee said:
Interesting. I was under the impression that doing something like saving Ravness (which I still need to do in Chapter 3) and making it to the next anchor point would mark her as alive in all downstream anchor points.
Nope. In fact nothing you do gets saved at all unless you progress to the next anchor point. Which is what screwed me with the HellGate flags, I did it first from the post
Heigm
anchor point and immediately jumped back to the postgame, and as a result neither the post
Heigm
anchor point nor the postgame ones recognized that I beat it.
I've decided to do the 6 Temples in my WORLD Chapter 4, beat the game, then do the Luria sidequest in Coda before WORLDing back to other paths (mostly to grab a few Liches in the pirate graveyard). Is there an Anchor Point between each "episode" of the Coda?
I think there are four anchor point spread through the postgame, though I believe
the Lans episode doesn't get its own one, probably because it's short.
- Since I only have 1 sister, will I only get 1 shaman mark from the Temples?
I think you get three, but you can farm more by killing the guardian again.
It is satisfying to go through and fill out all of the different paths in the WORLD map. I'd imagine a full image is mighty impressive-- it keeps track of all the different paths through each of the different bonus dungeons in a properly-structured tree (though not Phorampha). The Palace of the Dead, San Bronsa, and final dungeon must be mighty impressive.
San Bronsa only has the three story battles listed, so there's not much there. But it is nice to fill out the tree, even if I'm not quite ready to re-attack every fortress from every direction on every path, or search out all the hidden paths in the final dungeon.

Yaweee

Basileus777 said:
Nope. In fact nothing you do gets saved at all unless you progress to the next anchor point. Which is what screwed me with the HellGate flags, I did it first from the post
Heigm
anchor point and immediately jumped back to the postgame, and as a result neither the post
Heigm
anchor point nor the postgame ones recognized that I beat it.

Ah, that sucks.

I guess it is a pretty cool system, but they should have been more careful with flags for sidequests when using the system in the future. Palace of the Dead completion flags and flags for unlocking each of the 6 temples (the initial six fortress battles) should have been retained like Deneb progress and the Final Dungeon completion flag (once you beat it, you can skip the entire first section on repeat visits, despite the Anchor Point you're raiding it from being before your previous clear).

Thanks for all your help! I feel like I pretty much need to do the Temples while I have them unlocked so I can get their crafting books; as much as I hate the system, getting +1 weapons still seems worthwhile, and it should be helpful when going through some of the more repetitive areas; though things might be a little bit "easy" with the right team and equipment, it is somewhat necessary considering how freaking long and filled with "Vanquish All Enemies" the side dungeons are.

I'm going to have to redo the shrine again anyways. I need the other crafting materials from the bosses and another set of magics.

Made this one awesome bow from it. Shackle on hit, very nice.

The shrines are worth doing because the apocrypha is actually useful now that it doesn't hurt your own team. In fact it's the most powerful attack magic in the game. Plus you can get some nice recipes and drops from enemies there.

Yeah I farmed 5 of them so far. I hate getting the dagger crafting recipe from the undead rogue. It took forever exercising and getting a lucky drop.

duckroll

I beat the game, and holy shit it looks like I'll never be done with this game. There's tons of actual story-based post-game content. This is Peace Walker all over again! Arghhhh! Lol.

About the ending:
In the epilogues, I didn't get any scene between Ocionne and Jeunan, even though I recruited both of them, and they survived to the end. I guess their loyalty was too low? :(

duckroll said:
I beat the game, and holy shit it looks like I'll never be done with this game. There's tons of actual story-based post-game content. This is Peace Walker all over again! Arghhhh! Lol.

About the ending:
In the epilogues, I didn't get any scene between Ocionne and Jeunan, even though I recruited both of them, and they survived to the end. I guess their loyalty was too low? :(
I wonder if they cut out those scenes in the remake, because I didn't get them despite having max loyalty with those two. Maybe you only see them if you don't have Ravness or someone else.

duckroll

Basileus777 said:
I wonder if they cut out those scene in the remake, because I didn't get them despite having max loyalty with those two. Maybe you only see them if you don't have Ravness or someone else.

I think I figured it out.

For the extra party member scene that you see at the end, it picks from Ravness, Diego, Ocionne and Jeunan, Hobyrim and Ozma, and some other possible characters iirc. You will only see one, and that depends on which character(s) you used the most in terms of game playtime I believe. There is also a hidden priority system if more than one character or pair meets the requirement at the same time. If that is the case, Ravness is prioritized first, Diego is second, followed by O&J, and then H&O. It seems they really want the new characters to get more spotlight. :p

I'm in Chapter 3 Chaos. I love it but I think it's quite lame that new characters joining your party begins with the lowest level. Especially when it's special characters like
the White Knights Gildas and his buddy
. In the original when you get them they are badass knights with legendary weapons and stuffs as equipment. In the PSP version they have nothing of these and you have to made them level-up, it breaks so much the pace. Anyway I'm quite enjoying to level up them in the wildwood forest. I love some of the Ogre Battle music they put one the maps.

duckroll

Hikash Winzalf said:
I'm in Chapter 3 Chaos. I love it but I think it's quite lame that new characters joining your party begins with the lowest level. Especially when it's special characters like
. In the original when you get them they are badass knights with legendary weapons and stuffs as equipment. In the PSP version they have nothing of these and you have to made them level-up, it breaks so much the pace. Anyway I'm quite enjoying to level up them in the wildwood forest. I love some of the Ogre Battle music they put one the maps.

Well, if you really want to use them immediately, there IS an option to change their class you know. They'll still keep any skills come with, which usually already makes them pretty badass even at lvl1, especially if you bring them up to like lvl7 and let them fight lvl7 random encounter enemies. Changing their class to something close to their usage type but at a much higher level, will usually allow them to use the equipment they come with, along with the majority of their awesome skills.

I think the biggest problem with the class system is that it's not really explained well how you can best take advantage of it, so most people will feel that new characters join at shitty levels and are useless, which isn't really true.

Yaweee

duckroll said:
Matsuno has a really twisted sense of humor. I'm linking this instead of embedding because it *could* be considered by some people as a "spoiler":

In-game explanation for the WORLD system
http://i.imgur.com/uSWIk.png
http://i.imgur.com/826Lj.png
http://i.imgur.com/P0NEL.png
http://i.imgur.com/Pu5aY.png
http://i.imgur.com/OUeLX.png
http://i.imgur.com/8ELjR.png

Granted, I spoiled myself on DLC2&3, but that is all quite interesting with that in mind.

It's also funny reading it as an allegory for Matsuno, Square-Enix, and the remake. Not sure if that makes any sense, though. Could just be me being crazy.

Hikash Winzalf said:

It should only take 30~90 minutes to bring them up to pace if you're only in Chapter 3, especially since you have the two of them with decent skill sets. Just use ONLY those two, and duo the first two random battle areas adjacent to Almorica. Any time you're only using one class, you'll surge ahead levels at a time.

Some classes, like Lord and Knight Commander, can even solo it, for those few classes where there really is only one character that can be them.

And for what it is worth, there are several other characters that can become White Knights to help in the leveling. Not sure if you can get them on your path, though.

duckroll said:
Well, if you really want to use them immediately, there IS an option to change their class you know. They'll still keep any skills come with, which usually already makes them pretty badass even at lvl1, especially if you bring them up to like lvl7 and let them fight lvl7 random encounter enemies. Changing their class to something close to their usage type but at a much higher level, will usually allow them to use the equipment they come with, along with the majority of their awesome skills.

I think the biggest problem with the class system is that it's not really explained well how you can best take advantage of it, so most people will feel that new characters join at shitty levels and are useless, which isn't really true.

I agree. The in-game documentation is, for the most part, great, but I didn't find any precise explanations about random battles and the level-dependent bonus exp. Leveling one class up to pace is really easy if you're using just that class in the first few random areas, or the class you want leveled and a unit 2 or 3 levels higher to tweak up the enemy level so the lowbies get better bonus exp.

The big mistake in the leveling mechanics, IMO, is that the bonus exp caps out at -4 levels. It should have continued well beyond that; as it is now, just bringing somebody along in battle isn't a viable way to get them up to speed.

Just received my guide from Amazon today. Nice looking, thick book. The pages are quite thin unfortunately, and in danger of bending/tearing with a lack of care. Can't really comment on the quality yet, since I don't have the game. Premium Edition should be here today or tomorrow, though.

duckroll said:
I think I figured it out.

For the extra party member scene that you see at the end, it picks from Ravness, Diego, Ocionne and Jeunan, Hobyrim and Ozma, and some other possible characters iirc. You will only see one, and that depends on which character(s) you used the most in terms of game playtime I believe. There is also a hidden priority system if more than one character or pair meets the requirement at the same time. If that is the case, Ravness is prioritized first, Diego is second, followed by O&J, and then H&O. It seems they really want the new characters to get more spotlight. :p

I tested this and it works.
I loaded up a save before the final battle, dismissed Ravness, beat the game, and ended up seeing Azelstan's scene instead.

faridmon

Just put an order on Amazon for this game. Payed the full price which I rarly pay for a PSP game. Hope it is worth it guys! that cost me an arm and a leg
made me order other stuff as well

Yaweee

Yeah, now that I'm doing the major sidequests, I have Anatomy, Draconology, and the Beast one on most of my damage dealers just for convenience.

How far in to San Bronsa do you first encounter Divine Knights? I might try to grab one before I WORLD if it is within the first few maps.

I'm really enjoying the shrines, surprisingly. The Wind temple had 2 enemy-only classes that I hadn't seen before, and were surprisingly challenging in terms of damage output.

Phatcorns

One of the things I REALLY like about this game over FF Tactics is that the leveling system is not dependent on the actions you take in battle. This means I can always have my healers sit in the back and be ready instead of constantly having to make sure they're doing something so that they get JP and exp like it was in FFT.

I also like that the effect equipment and skills have are very tangible and I know that if I equip for defense my characters will actually have very good defense.

Best RPG I think I've ever played. It's just so much more engaging than most press A to win rpg's, which honestly is what I think most non-strategy rpg's are.

Yaweee said:
Yeah, now that I'm doing the major sidequests, I have Anatomy, Draconology, and the Beast one on most of my damage dealers just for convenience.

Wow, you really have enough skill slots for all of that?
How far in to San Bronsa do you first encounter Divine Knights? I might try to grab one before I WORLD if it is within the first few maps.

I believe it is floor 3. You only encounter them once in San Bronsa, and you fight two, one of each gender.

Top Bottom