• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Peff

Well, for the most part the extra stuff is dialogue with enemy leaders during some battles, but some characters are important for sidequests too. This particular character happens to be a fantastic archer anyways, so it's worth making the effort.

Masaki_ said:
I think there should have been more than one Chapter 4 so both paths could go on more appropriate directions. Yet, I'd say it's implied that Denam has way more people at his side than just a small group.

But I still don't think the issue with the massacre is handled the way it should be. Let's not forget, not only he killed 5,000 people, he's deceiving a lot more who don't know the truth about his acts. And, in the end, the story stills makes him out to be a hero.

If he's not punished for what he did in the end, I'll be pissed.

He never actually killed anyone at Balmamusa, he only supported and oversaw it. His guilt is based on letting it happen, not actual murder.

Johann

Masaki_ said:
I think there should have been more than one Chapter 4 so both paths could go on more appropriate directions. Yet, I'd say it's implied that Denam has way more people at his side than just a small group.

But I still don't think the issue with the massacre is handled the way it should be. Let's not forget, not only he killed 5,000 people, he's deceiving a lot more who don't know the truth about his acts. And, in the end, the story stills makes him out to be a hero.

If he's not punished for what he did in the end, I'll be pissed.

Two things:

Denam has support of the Galghastan common after clearing his name. The period between Chapter 3 to Chapter 4 is about 1-2 years. It's plenty of time for him to unite Walister and Galghastan.

Denam doesn't take direct part in the killing but rather oversees it. He's sort of a Nazi SS officer that sees that business gets done.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I finally lost a battle. Well, I didn't really "lose," but it was dragging on too long and I lost a couple hearts (first time), so I didn't like the lay of it and quit. Will retry tonight.

The battle against He
ktor
. The dude was easily the smartest villain I've faced. He's the only Kn
ight
that actually Healed himself. Heal II and Phalanax made rushing him pretty hard (which works 99% of the time in this game). And with all those ranged dudes up top firing down on me and the dragons taking tank attention... it was a good fight. Upset I wasted 40 min on it, but it felt like the most 'intelligent' AI fight to date that really took advantage of the terrain they had.

John Harker said:
I finally lost a battle. Will, I didn't really "lose," but it was dragging on too long and I lost a couple hearts (first time), so I didn't like the lay of it and quit. Will retry tonight.

The battle against Hektor. The dude was easily the smartest villain I've faced. He's the only Knight that actually Healed himself. Heal II and Phalanax made rushing him pretty hard (which works 99% of the time in this game). And with all those ranged dudes up top firing down on me and the dragons taking tank attention... it was a good fight. Upset I wasted 40 min on it, but it felt like the most 'intelligent' AI fight to date that really took advantage of the terrain they had.

Mind tagging the spoilers? Sounds like a fun battle.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The_Darkest_Red said:
Mind tagging the spoilers?

Didn't realize uneventful filler battles counted as spoilers

I haven't made it that far so I don't know who Hektor is or what role he plays in the story, I just assumed that talking about specific characters from story battles was considered spoiler material. If not, pardon my ignorance.

No worries mate. He's a nobody! Tagged it anyway.

The discussion before was on how easy the game was. I just threw that out there as 'hey, this seemingly random 'story battle' finally kicked my butt. Enjoy the fight.

John Harker said:
Didn't realize uneventful filler battles counted as spoilers

I haven't made it that far so I don't know who
Hektor
is or what role he plays in the story, I just assumed that talking about specific characters from story battles was considered spoiler material. If not, pardon my ignorance.

Masaki_

Fimbulvetr said:
He never actually killed anyone at Balmamusa, he only supported and oversaw it. His guilt is based on letting it happen, not actual murder.

That really isn't much better.

You guys were right about the crafting system, it's pretty weird, although I have to admit that so far it isn't actually bothering me too much. While I completely recognize the fact that it's about as inefficiently designed as possible I appreciate the rewarding feeling I get from crafting a nice new +1 weapon or piece of armor.

Does the crafting system ever get much worse than it is originally, e.g. an item with a 20% rate of success or something ridiculous like that?

John Harker said:
No worries mate. He's a nobody! Tagged it anyway.

The discussion before was on how easy the game was. I just threw that out there as 'hey, this seemingly random 'story battle' finally kicked my butt. Enjoy the fight.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. I probably would have made it there by now if I wasn't so obsessed with leveling up new classes and crafting stuff. It's so easy to drop 4+ hours into this game without advancing the story at all.

As far as difficulty goes, I have to admit I got my clock cleaned by one of the battles in the Wildwoods yesterday --- twice. The first time it was three dragons, an octopus, and a bunch of undead units and I just didn't have the firepower to bring down all those dragons fast enough. I tried again after picking units who are better at fighting dragons (and equipping Draconology on them) only to find a new enemy crew composed of one dragon and three octopi. Ugh. I somehow survived that fight but managed to lose my first few hearts so far.

Shuusui

Guys, I need help!

My Griffins loyalty has plummeted. How do I bring them back up so they won't desert me. Really need an explanation, because I love these little bastards.

Jerk

Banned
So, I plan on using the following non-human generics (the only generics on my team):

Lizardman: Hoplite
Ogre: Juggernaut
Lamia: Matriarch
Octopus: Octopus
Dragon: Not Sure

Any advice for the sole Dragon on my team? They all seem similar, but if I only have one, I want the one with the most punch.

Jerk

Banned
Masaki_ said:
That really isn't much better.

I disagree. It is MUCH better.

Difference between not stopping the Nazis and being a Nazi. I mean, it does not mean that what he did is right, but there is much latitude...

I HATE Vyce.

He came back from the dead to ruin my play yesterday when killing crissida with a critical hit.
F#&$. I lost 1 hour for nothing and I don't want to play it anymore.

Otherwise I'am really loving it.

Yaweee

Jerk 2.0 said:
So, I plan on using the following non-human generics (the only generics on my team):

Lizardman: Hoplite
Ogre: Juggernaut
Lamia: Matriarch
Octopus: Octopus
Dragon: Not Sure

Any advice for the sole Dragon on my team? They all seem similar, but if I only have one, I want the one with the most punch.

Getting an Orc (you mean Orc, not Ogre) is really damn difficult and not possible until the postgame, or at least the Pirate's Den/Palace of the Dead.

Dragons... you can pretty much take whichever one you want.

warpaint

man i've had this for about a week now and to try as much as i like i get into it right i so it make me sad to say i'm putting this on the shelf it i've a better to try it

Yaweee said:
Getting an Orc (you mean Orc, not Ogre) is really damn difficult and not possible until the postgame.

Dragons... you can pretty much take whichever one you want.

Is it possible to do unfinished sidequests on the postgame? Like
the Diego Azelstan or Dead Palace?

Talk about your conversation skills:

Took me a few tries to save Cautia in conversation, thankfully the game has a save right before. I like how the soldier stopped his sentence with Pavel once he saw her in the corner and just backed out. So my understanding is that he joins after you successful convince her she's not some glorified toy/prize and a big sister he needed/will need?

I leveled up my swordmaster, good damage dealing class. Can't take too many hits but I have a question on war dances. I have fans but how do I go about learning them? Perhaps I haven't reached a shop that sells them yet? Also that map with the multiple octopi really does drive home what Yawee mentioned way back. Poison Rain(I think its called)....ouch.

Yaweee

Hikash Winzalf said:
Is it possible to do unfinished sidequests on the postgame? Like
the Diego Azelstan or Dead Palace?

Palace of the Dead, yes. Diego, no, super time-sensitive series of events in Chapter 4 that you'll probably miss anyway, but the dungeon you need for that sidequest is for a different post-game quest as well.

Yaweee said:
Palace of the Dead, yes. Diego, no, super time-sensitive series of events in Chapter 4 that you'll probably miss anyway, but the dungeon you need for that sidequest is for a different post-game quest as well.

Nuts.....guys were near level 20 and too much at the time I went. Guess I'll go recruit him during new game +

careful

Yaweee said:
How do you get Diego then? I think I just saw his entry in the Warren report talk. (I'm in 4C) Should I go to the Pirate thing right away?

Yaweee said:
Thanks for the answer. I'll try to get Diego then, I did the first battle to get him. I'm also in the
walking dead sidequest I hope doing both in the same times do not cancel one or another.

Fimbulvetr said:

Can't even start to get into how much that isn't an excuse.

charlequin said:
Can't even start to get into how much that isn't an excuse.

It's not an excuse for his actions. The game makes it clear that he should feel bad because he did something despicable. But there is still a huge difference between actually killing 5000 people and silently letting it happen.

Ravness' recruit mission adds on to that with the implication that "this is why you shouldn't put so much power and pressure into the hands of dumb anime teens."

That isn't an excuse or justification either, it's a moral.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe you guys are so hung up about not getting all the hot chicks.

Yaweee

The first two Divine Knights in San Bronsa are super loyal and can't really be recruited. Do you fight generic ones later on with random loyalty?

EDIT: Oh well, I'll get them later. Time to start WORLD-ing to old chapters:
rldyip.jpg

I know I'm missing Wicce, Buccaneer, Divine Knight (both genders), but what else? Female Lich, for completeness. Haven't seen one yet.

Jerk

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Nuts.....guys were near level 20 and too much at the time I went. Guess I'll go recruit him during new game +

Yeah. I had to bring out all three of my archers and multiple Sorcerers (charm) to beat that mission.

Speaking of which, would it be wrong if I turned Ravness into an archer? It does not fit her, but I have everything else covered.

careful

HOLY SHIT at 4C the fight with
Nybeth! And fucking zombie Vyce! LOL
Toughest fight I've had all game. I wanted to save
Cressida
on top of it all. I don't know how many times I restarted.. Must've spent the past two hours just on this god damn battle. The
family members
kept spawning more
undead
it was ridiculous. I had to petrify the shit out of the
zombies
so that I could focus on a few enemies at a time. But even then, it felt like the petrify barely lasted a few turns. The map doesn't help either with only narrow passage up the stairs and then every freaking enemy being a super tank knight with Rampart Aura 15. In the end,
bitch didn't even join my party. Chaos Frame fail... :(

Augemitbutter said:
so the graveyard in SW is the next level wildwood? i finished it, but it's still red.

All areas like that remain red, because you can never truly conquer them.

Augemitbutter said:
that's good to know. i wonder why lich don't fall into the undead category, they seem very undead to me.

Pretty sure Lich is just a human class now. They wear masks but the sprites look like skulls.

Fimbulvetr said:
Jesus Christ, I can't believe you guys are so hung up about not getting all the hot chicks.

Totally not even talking about that anymore, just the same issues I've always had with the Law path in TO. :p

charlequin said:
Totally not even talking about that anymore, just the same issues I've always had with the Law path in TO. :p

That Denam doesn't constantly get stabbed in the face every two seconds?

Did you hate it when Delita became king? :p

Yaweee said:
EDIT: Oh well, I'll get them later. Time to start WORLD-ing to old chapters:
rldyip.jpg

I know I'm missing Wicce, Buccaneer, Divine Knight (both genders), but what else? Female Lich, for completeness. Haven't seen one yet.

....Where's your Arc Dragon?

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
That Denam doesn't constantly get stabbed in the face every two seconds?

Did you hate it when Delita became king? :p

....Where's your Arc Dragon?

Ah, well I guess I'm missing that one. Thanks.

krYlon

Peff said:
Well, for the most part the extra stuff is dialogue with enemy leaders during some battles, but some characters are important for sidequests too. This particular character happens to be a fantastic archer anyways, so it's worth making the effort.

Rescued her. Wasn't too difficult in the end, especially if you have a unit with
a lobber and field alchemy I, alongside a cleric, and just storm them up the field to her

Starting to worry the game is a bit on the easy side. Good to know there are tough missions further in the game.

Finally made it to Chapter 3 last night after beating Chapter 2 Chaos,
told Duke Ronwey to shove it. I'm guessing that's the Chaos choice? By the way, Vyce is such an ungrateful little turd.

Now I'm trying to level up a Beast Tamer, Swordmaster, Dragoon, and Terror Knight. Denam is still cleaning house as a Ninja. I love how much there is to do in this game. The story battles have been really easy so far, though, especially if you spend time leveling new units.

I don't mind the crafting system too much but there is one part I find extremely annoying --- the fact that you can lose a weapon if your crafting fails. I was hoping you just lost all of the ingredients.

oracrest

What happens if you change your only unit of a class into a different class? Does that original class level shoot back down to 0, or does it remember what level you had gotten to?

Yaweee

oracrest said:
What happens if you change your only unit of a class into a different class? Does that original class level shoot back down to 0, or does it remember what level you had gotten to?

It remembers, always. That's part of the point of the system; your army levels its expertise with different classes, while skill points and purchased skills are the individual unit's contribution.

It doesn't make a whole let of sense in terms of Dragons or Golems, though =( I'm pretty sure being a Flame Dragon feels pretty goddamn similar to being an Earth Dragon.

oracrest said:

I'm almost positive it remembers the level.

EDIT: More definitive answer. ^^^

Yaweee said:
It remembers, always. That's part of the point of the system; your army levels its expertise with different classes, while skill points and purchased skills are the individual unit's contribution.

It doesn't make a whole let of sense in terms of Dragons or Golems, though =( I'm pretty sure being a Flame Dragon feels pretty goddamn similar to being an Earth Dragon.

Other than being able to walk on magma,(which is a pretty damn rare thing to need) Flame Dragons are just dragons with a fire breath.

A Flood Dragon's natural swimming is pretty okay, what with there being a good number of water maps.

I was kinda disappointed when I found out Cloud Dragons can't fly though. :(

Question regarding taking skills from dead units - do you actually have to do anything on the battlefield, or is it afterwards? Neither the strat guide or the warren report are very clear on this.

I had a pretty good archer (skills wise) before I recruited
Arycelle. She
is much better stats wise....

Which brings me to pretty much the only thing I don't like about the whole class leveling thing. There isn't a quick way for me to get newly recruited characters up to snuff with my existing characters with relation to skills. This archer already had 11 levels worth of skill points before I even got this new one.

JLateralus said:
Question regarding taking skills from dead units - do you actually have to do anything on the battlefield, or is it afterwards? Neither the strat guide or the warren report are very clear on this.

I had a pretty good archer (skills wise) before I recruited
Arycelle. She
is much better stats wise....

Which brings me to pretty much the only thing I don't like about the whole class leveling thing. There isn't a quick way for me to get newly recruited characters up to snuff with my existing characters with relation to skills. This archer already had 11 levels worth of skill points before I even got this new one.

Well at least new units usually come with some skills already learned.
Arycelle in particular already knows some pretty helpful skills for an archer, although I agree that she was behind compared to the two I'd been using throughout the game.

duckroll

Fimbulvetr said:

How would you balance a flying dragon class anyway? Seems like total overkill. Maybe if it was really slow or something...

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Other than being able to walk on magma,(which is a pretty damn rare thing to need) Flame Dragons are just dragons with a fire breath.

A Flood Dragon's natural swimming is pretty okay, what with there being a good number of water maps.

Yeah, I really dislike the fact that all the dragons are so similar. I was thinking of perhaps changing my fire dragon to a Dark one, but I doubt that I gain much from doing so.

Also, Anyone know if the dragon base stats are all supposed to be so low? My dragon has 36 STR and 38 VIT and I have no real point of comparison for that.

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:

There are stat distinctions, at least. I don't know how significant it is for Dragons, though; in the case of Golems there are HUGE differences in stats between the different materials.

Fimbulvetr said:
All areas like that remain red, because you can never truly conquer them.
How does the Wildwoods work? I've gone in there several times since chapter 1, gotten about three maps in for some quick leveling, and then decided to continue on with the main story/ran out of supplies. Is there a finite number of maps within the Wildwoods? Do you get something special for beating them? Considering going as far as I can right now at the end of Chapter 3 Chaos, and I figured I should know some details.

Top Bottom