• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

krYlon said:
Wow, you're on level 18 in chapter 3??
I'm only on 12. Maybe I should be doing more levelling up.

Well most of my classes are lower, probably around 16 or so, and I'm also near the end of Chapter 3. I just got done playing through all the maps in the Wildwoods so that gave me a pretty big EXP boost. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the enemies are a way higher level than you, Chapter 3 is just really long.

krYlon

The_Darkest_Red said:
Well most of my classes are lower, probably around 16 or so, and I'm also near the end of Chapter 3. I just got done playing through all the maps in the Wildwoods so that gave me a pretty big EXP boost. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the enemies are a way higher level than you, Chapter 3 is just really long.

Do the wildwoods come after the Hektor fight?

sometimes i hate this game:

fUKuo.png

FUUUUUUUUUUUU ;)

zurra

just had my first real taste of defeat and crappy tactics. doing side missions leading up to
Palace of the Dead
and
Cielo
got me. Got greedy and tried to rush him instead of playing it safe, but he kept healing. Guess I'll sit at the choke point and let the dragons come to me instead... should only have to deal with 3 at a time tops. Wheee!

Phatcorns

Varth said:
Is there any trick I'm missing about Ninjutsu? My Kunoichi seems to be getting finally useful at level 13, but her magic deals 1 point even on the most feeble of enemies.

I would also like to know this. All of my ninjutsu does 1 damage and my ninjas are level 16

Peff

Phatcorns said:
I would also like to know this. All of my ninjutsu does 1 damage and my ninjas are level 16

Ninjutsu depends on INT, so characters with low stats won't do much. It's not that useful anyways.

Peff said:
Ninjutsu depends on INT, so characters with low stats won't do much. It's not that useful anyways.

yes, you have to boost your magic with items and skills if you want to do damage with them. ninjutsu can also affect status effects and boost your ninja, you don't need a magic build for the latter.

Jefklak

Jefklak said:
I could use some general tips here. I just got to chapter 2, and I'm having a tough time surviving in battles in general. The second battle in chapter 2 with the octopus (2) in the cave, they pack a punch and kill my guys before I can do some decent damage. Most of my guys are lvl 7. This is my party setup:

Hero - warrior lvl7 rapier/shield + bow, does decent dmg (20 to armored foes?)
Knight morning star, has trouble hitting stuff (no increase melee acc. skill yet) but does good dmg
2 archers with longbows, increased accuracy and tremendous shot - they're great but die fast once the enemy reaches 'em
1 wizard with dark/wind magic - mostly used = word of pain (bland?)
2 clerics which spend 50% of their time idling and the rest healing
1 berzeker which totally sucks, little damage dies fast and has trouble hitting.
canopus with a crossbow is awesome for picking targets
1 rune fencer with a fire spell and a pike - dies fast and does moderate dmg

My archers and canopus are by far the best fighters I have, the knight and my hero are OK too (they can tank) but the rest is mostly worthless. The healers don't have attack spells, the wizard is cool but dies too fast and sometimes my chars are badly positioned so I cant cast shit or miss (terrain height). The runefencer isn't great either.

What am I missing? I have the feeling I need another good damage disher, especially against well-armored foes, so that'll be a magic user, but I have trouble protecting them. I guess I need another wizard, and maybe another knight and ditch the berzeker?

I haven't tried a beastmaster yet, and I'm still eagerly waiting for the thief class to unlock (when??)

My archers both have the ranged evade skill, and lately I've given my front fighters the strength I skill which adds a little bit of dmg. What skills are essential? Should I ditch one cleric? (My sister as a guest is also a healer, and the knight is also able to heal!)

Got slammed for the 3th time, switched the rune fencer for an enchantress but can't level her up just yet.
I'd love to buy the strategy guide but can't seem to find someone willing to ship to Belgium, and they're not available here, sigh. No e-book version I guess?

krYlon

Jefklak said:
Got slammed for the 3th time, switched the rune fencer for an enchantress but can't level her up just yet.
I'd love to buy the strategy guide but can't seem to find someone willing to ship to Belgium, and they're not available here, sigh. No e-book version I guess?

Your party set up looks OK to me, are you making good use of finishing moves (dark weight in particular)?

Jefklak said:

Sounds similar to my setup during that time as well. Try to focus on planting your knight in the front lines (preferably with Rampant Aura) to protect your weaker units such as your healers and your wizard. Focus on taking out one target at a time to reduce the number of enemies you have to deal with and try your best to keep the remaining enemies from getting to your magic users and archers.

If you're still having trouble you can always buy some items and/or use some spells to buff your party or debuff some enemies during the fight. Toying with the weather could also help if you want to reduce your enemies ability to move quickly.

If you think the issue is just that your party's levels are too low then play a few random battles and focus on leveling up your weaker units. This should help with the enchantress.

Varth said:
Is there any trick I'm missing about Ninjutsu? My Kunoichi seems to be getting finally useful at level 13, but her magic deals 1 point even on the most feeble of enemies.

Ninjitsu's attack magic is useless. But it's nice for the status effects and buffs.

Atolm

Beaten Coda Chapter 1 a while ago. Is
Songtress
any good?

Also San Bronsa is unlocked now. It's as big as Palace of the Dead?. Seems to have tons of floors too...

My total play time is 82 hours, and I'm still missing the Temple quest, both Chaos and Neutral Chapter 3 and Palace of the Dead. It has been a while since the last time I spent so many hours doing endgame stuff in any rpg.

SPE said:
This might be a stupid question, but how can you tell the loyalty level of units?

In any screen that shows a unit's name(but in the Party Menu and in Battle), press select and highlight the dot right next to their name.

Fimbulvetr said:
In any screen that shows a unit's name(but in the Party Menu and in Battle), press select and highlight the dot right next to their name.

I take it 'Though not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are' means I should be careful?

Die Squirrel Die said:
I take it 'Though not openly discontent, this unit will not speak against those who are' means I should be careful?

Yep, that isn't one of the lowest for its alignment though.

You get different descriptions depending on Alignment or unit type(Beasts/Dragons get their own set of descriptions regardless of alignment), but it's generally easy to tell what means what.

ferr

So I anchored back to pick up
Azelstan, and the last boss fight with the doppelgangers was so hard this time. I had to bring in some meat on the front line.. put in four guys around level 5 in the first row to act as decoys and used their doppelganger versions to generate TP. Having a doppelganger healer made it near impossible, had to go in with no healers.

Jefklak

The_Darkest_Red said:
Sounds similar to my setup during that time as well. Try to focus on planting your knight in the front lines (preferably with Rampant Aura) to protect your weaker units such as your healers and your wizard. Focus on taking out one target at a time to reduce the number of enemies you have to deal with and try your best to keep the remaining enemies from getting to your magic users and archers.

Tried it again this morning, but advancing as little as possible. I think my problem was that I like to move through the enemies defensive line with for example canopus to pick on their archers/healers at the back of the line, but while doing that (which works fine for a couple of rounds), I break up my own lines and they get through.

This time I tried focussing on one enemy at the time and that seemed to work, but there was little space for moving.
The next battle is as frustrating though, trying to save the archer but she keeps on moving too far away to be healed (and dies of course). Sigh. Save missions aren't easy indeed.

Jefklak said:
Tried it again this morning, but advancing as little as possible. I think my problem was that I like to move through the enemies defensive line with for example canopus to pick on their archers/healers at the back of the line, but while doing that (which works fine for a couple of rounds), I break up my own lines and they get through.

This time I tried focussing on one enemy at the time and that seemed to work, but there was little space for moving.
The next battle is as frustrating though, trying to save the archer but she keeps on moving too far away to be healed (and dies of course). Sigh. Save missions aren't easy indeed.

Yeah, I had trouble on that mission as well. There are a couple of good strategies for it but my favorite is using an item you buy from the shop (Horn of the Savage) to make the weather worse. This will hurt everyone's mobility big time except for Canopus, allowing you to fly him in and heal up the archer you're going after.

You can also unequip Canopus to reduce his RT and make him a "priority target" and use him as bait, or give one of your units an item lobber (with the highest level Field Alchemy skill available equipped) to toss mend leafs out to the archer.

Well I decided to come back to this when my spring term is over for my law route run. After my chaos route I used the WORLD to see some things. It's then you realize they really did put alot into this game. Most robust SRPG in the PSP library? I'm going to have to say yes.

aceface said:
So has anyone used Chariot at all in this game? I honestly forgot it was there.

I think I've used it 2 or 3 times but it was only because I accidentally killed an enemy with a critical hit while I was trying to lower their health to recruit them. :p

aceface said:

I honestly can't imagine someone that hasn't unless they grinded and are gluttons for punishment. I'll tell you right now the end battle was more like a game of chess on my part than anything else.

Urban Scholar said:
Well I decided to come back to this when my spring term is over for my law route run. After my chaos route I used the WORLD to see some things. It's then you realize they really did put alot into this game. Most robust SRPG in the PSP library? I'm going to have to say yes.
I definitely agree and I haven't even beaten the game yet. 36 hours in and I'm at the very beginning of Chapter 4. From everything I've heard regarding the end-game content it sounds like dropping 100+ hours won't be too difficult. If I don't manage to play the game that much it certainly won't be due to a lack of content.

aceface

Urban Scholar said:
I honestly can't imagine someone that hasn't unless they grinded and are gluttons for punishment. I'll tell you right now the end battle was more like a game of chess on my part than anything else.

Well I'm only on the end of Chapter 3 but I have not grinded too much, I just have not seen a situation yet where I thought it would help. Usually if I'm losing a battle it's because I'm underleveled or I need to rethink what classes to bring. We'll see about chapter 4 though.

Jefklak said:
The next battle is as frustrating though, trying to save the archer but she keeps on moving too far away to be healed (and dies of course).

That part is so obnoxious, heh. I used a combination strategy here: flew in Canopus to heal, ran Denam and my Rampart Aura knight directly into the same area to draw some of the hate off, and had everyone singlemindedly focus on killing the boss even at the expense of their own lives (because I knew I could get him down before anyone dropped to 0) to clear the map quickly.

aceface said:

According to my stats I use it in about 1/3 of my battles. When I do it tends to fall into one of three categories:

• Battle with difficult objective seems to be going well, suddenly someone important gets wtfpwned from nowhere, I go back about ten characters and try something different.
  • My missile spell does something unexpected and stupid. (This basically doesn't happen anymore since doing it enough has given me a pretty good idea of what I can and can't get away with now.)
  • I spaz out and pass the turn/have my guy hit himself/otherwise completely waste the turn through total incompetence on my own part.

Soulhouf

Urban Scholar said:
C'mon this remake is a way easier than the original.
I didn't use C.H.A.R.I.O.T. until now (end of chap #4) and I didn't fight more than 3-4 random battle before chapter 4. Currently I am fighting enemies who are lv21 whereas my units are lv15-19.
Especially since chapter 3, the game is becoming easier and easier (except for the side quests which are challenging).

Minsc

Gold Member
soulhouf said:
C'mon this remake is a way easier than the original.
I didn't use C.H.A.R.I.O.T. until now (end of chap #4) and I didn't fight more than 3-4 random battle before chapter 4. Currently I am fighting enemies who are lv21 whereas my units are lv15-19.

Wouldn't that depend on what classes you bring in the battles? I imagine if you brought less than ideal combinations of units because you were new to the game (or just less experienced) you'd get wrecked in the situation you describe.

Someone replaying it (even with all the changes) knows a lot more of what to expect and what works / doesn't.

aceface said:
I used it once. Folcurt fell into a bottomless pit and freaking died. I didn't even know you could fall into bottomless pits!

Also, I have played every single map in the Wildwood now. I am ze best!

Soulhouf

Minsc said:
Wouldn't that depend on what classes you bring in the battles? I imagine if you brought less than ideal combinations of units because you were new to the game (or just less experienced) you'd get wrecked in the situation you describe.

Someone replaying it (even with all the changes) knows a lot more of what to expect and what works / doesn't.
That's true. Naturally, if you play with the story characters (which I did), those are well balanced.
I kept the original classes (except for Denam whom I changed to a Ninja when I had the opportunity), besides I specialized each character on one weapon only.

I'm not sure that if you are familiar with the original game, you will be very advantaged because the mechanics are so different. You have to give up on the old habits and learn the new game system. The only advantage I see is the knowlege of the classes and the characters you will have, so you build your team in regards of this.

Urban Scholar said:

i have 0 chariot uses on my file, but i have two retreats that are kinda bothering me now, i don't think i can get rid of them anymore. oh well, who cares. grinding is a waste of time in this game. i was doing wildwood runs if i wanted to bring new classes up, but that didn't affect my main party much.

i don't think i got a medal for zero chariots, it seems the devs didn't care much either.

Top Bottom