• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

zurra said:
just had my first real taste of defeat and crappy tactics. doing side missions leading up to
Palace of the Dead
and
Cielo
got me. Got greedy and tried to rush him instead of playing it safe, but he kept healing. Guess I'll sit at the choke point and let the dragons come to me instead... should only have to deal with 3 at a time tops. Wheee!
My troops didn't advance very far in that fight (it was a pretty shitty map). I beat the shit out of Canopus until his TP was maxed, then had him use one of his finishers on
Cielo

Not sure if it has already been posted (couldn't see), but the game is deal of the day at amazon. 28 bucks.

I pre-ordered it, and haven't really played it yet, but I don't regret it, because of the awesome tarot cards. That's how you get me to preorder, devs :)

DarkKyo

harriet the spy said:
Not sure if it has already been posted (couldn't see), but the game is deal of the day at amazon. 28 bucks.

I pre-ordered it, and haven't really played it yet, but I don't regret it, because of the awesome tarot cards. That's how you get me to preorder, devs :)
I ordered it after it came out and still got the tarot cards! Glad I didn't miss out...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Fuck this game is hard. I am really starting to appreciate the intricate details of character development. I never played the original, but I played the shit out of Ogre Battle 64 - god I hope they remake that game, I was the boss at that.

Instead I'm still really early in the game, and only now am I starting to win consistently - the fight with the valkyrie chick on the otherside of the map was wrecking me and my lack of strategy. But I got my flying dude to get ontop of roofs and shoot stuff, a healing knight who's focus was just getting to the valkyrie, and just rushing everything else.

Still a problem with my strategies - I seem to only really have 2-3 characters effectively meleeing - everyone else is too far away and ends up missing out on all the action - any tips? My main is currently berseker (want him to learn the special) - but he usually only gets into the fight when it's winding down.

Dechaios said:
I ordered it after it came out and still got the tarot cards! Glad I didn't miss out...

Tarot Cards?! Aww... I got it used through work - there wasn't even a manual (but it was 10 bucks).

aceface

Also, is White Knight any better than regular Knight? Just got two White Knight dudes in my party but they are level 3...if I changed them to Knight they would automatically be at level 16 which would save me some time. Awesome base stats too so I want to use them.

Donaldo keeps dying on me, I'm running out of blessing stones, I already keep him in the back row but the dragons kept going after him.

This game is addicting but one thing I'm pretty pissed off about, I'm at Chapter 4 but
where the fuck are the ogres?

Jefklak

Awesome, after the 5th time trying to save her, I finally managed to do so! Thanks for the tip, making the weather worse totally changed my and the enemies tactics :) (they can't move nor hit, I can hit a little with archers, and fly in canopus)

I just got the rogue mark and I'm thinking about chaning one of my archers to a rogue. Or should I hire a soldier to do that? What base class is most fit for this purpose?

Yaweee

Jefklak said:
Awesome, after the 5th time trying to save her, I finally managed to do so! Thanks for the tip, making the weather worse totally changed my and the enemies tactics :) (they can't move nor hit, I can hit a little with archers, and fly in canopus)

I just got the rogue mark and I'm thinking about chaning one of my archers to a rogue. Or should I hire a soldier to do that? What base class is most fit for this purpose?

There are no "base classes". This isn't the original game. Switch whoever you want, but many of an Archers good skills won't carry over that nicely.

Rogues are a very good class, period. They actually get an area-of-effect TP "Special" attack that only costs 50, and their regular attack with daggers is pretty damn good. Any surplus TP can be burned through Steal, which is a Skill so you can attack in the same turn. Very good way to accumulate Marks from enemies.

So if I'm planning on Worlding back to do the other paths as soon as I beat the game, should I do the sidequests on my current Chaos save, or at the end of my Law path? Does it make a difference?

Yaweee

Mr. Wonderful said:
So if I'm planning on Worlding back to do the other paths as soon as I beat the game, should I do the sidequests on my current Chaos save, or at the end of my Law path? Does it make a difference?

Law path. You can't even do the last sidequest unless you're on Law.

Kinitari said:
Fuck this game is hard. I am really starting to appreciate the intricate details of character development. I never played the original, but I played the shit out of Ogre Battle 64 - god I hope they remake that game, I was the boss at that.

Instead I'm still really early in the game, and only now am I starting to win consistently - the fight with the valkyrie chick on the otherside of the map was wrecking me and my lack of strategy. But I got my flying dude to get ontop of roofs and shoot stuff, a healing knight who's focus was just getting to the valkyrie, and just rushing everything else.

Still a problem with my strategies - I seem to only really have 2-3 characters effectively meleeing - everyone else is too far away and ends up missing out on all the action - any tips? My main is currently berseker (want him to learn the special) - but he usually only gets into the fight when it's winding down.

You may want to let the enemy come to you. Some fights where I completely destroyed the AI was when I established a line of melee fighters close to where I began, and let my archers pick people off until they met me at that line. A lot of the "targets" are suicidal, so there's a chance they will rush themselves into a hot mess.

Jefklak

Yaweee said:
There are no "base classes". This isn't the original game. Switch whoever you want, but many of an Archers good skills won't carry over that nicely..

Right, so base stats of the "previous" class the char has does not matter anymore since you start off as lvl1 at the new class?
Okay, another question related to that then: I'm having trouble "farming" and levelling new classmarks. What are some general strategies on quick farming? If I bring in 3 rogues in a random battle of max. 6 chars, the other 3 chars should kill everything since the rogues are completely worthless in the beginning. That's not really easy, even with only one rogue which I did.

Do you guys level more than one new class at the same time or ...?

aceface said:
Also, is White Knight any better than regular Knight? Just got two White Knight dudes in my party but they are level 3...if I changed them to Knight they would automatically be at level 16 which would save me some time. Awesome base stats too so I want to use them.

They are pretty much Knight with better offense. And there's no trade-off either, they're just better.

has anbody finished san bronsa?
i've entered the second section and i'm almost out of items. now enemies are a good 5 levels higher than my party and i can barely damage the golems. i've had to leave anyway, but it's weird to see the level jump mid-dungeon. almost everything before that was scaling to my level, save for a few dragons.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Ok.

So I had to take a brief break from playing Tactics Ogre because my PSP wasn't working for a brief period of time, but I think all of the buttons are fully-functioning now.

...Aaaaand I'm back to where I was the last time I posted in this thread.

I have two save files at the beginning of Chapter 2: one where I chose the "good" decision, and one where I chose the
kill the villagers to further our agenda
decision. I only did the second one because I really
want to have Ravness in my team, instead of her dying :(
, but at the same time, I feel morally conflicted to take that route on my first playthrough through the story.

So, I guess my question is:
If I take the bad decision route at the end of Chapter 1, and piss off Ravness, only to recruit her later, is there a point where I can morally redeem myself and undo the stupid crap that comes out of my character's mouth during the battle at the end of that chapter (i.e. ignorant racist accusations, only to be shown up by Canopus)? Or am I just better off taking the choices I believe in and stick with them?

Because, damn, dude was just fucking stupid. I was face palming throughout that whole battle. Like... there was a very distinct disconnect between myself and my character that suddenly appeared, and I'd rather not have to feel that way for the rest of the game.

Ellis Kim said:
Ok.

So I had to take a brief break from playing Tactics Ogre because my PSP wasn't working for a brief period of time, but I think all of the buttons are fully-functioning now.

...Aaaaand I'm back to where I was the last time I posted in this thread.

I have two save files at the beginning of Chapter 2: one where I chose the "good" decision, and one where I chose the
kill the villagers to further our agenda
decision. I only did the second one because I really
want to have Ravness in my team, instead of her dying :(
, but at the same time, I feel morally conflicted to take that route on my first playthrough through the story.

So, I guess my question is:
If I take the bad decision route at the end of Chapter 1, and piss off Ravness, only to recruit her later, is there a point where I can morally redeem myself and undo the stupid crap that comes out of my character's mouth during the battle at the end of that chapter (i.e. ignorant racist accusations, only to be shown up by Canopus)? Or am I just better off taking the choices I believe in and stick with them?

Because, damn, dude was just fucking stupid. I was face palming throughout that whole battle. Like... there was a very distinct disconnect between myself and my character that suddenly appeared, and I'd rather not have to feel that way for the rest of the game.

Ravness joins you because she believes you can redeem yourself.

Also he apologizes for being a racist if you recruit her.
One thing you have to realize, though, is that Denam isn't supposed to be a faceless/wordless receptacle for your opinions, he is his own character.

Just make sure to immediately read the news about Ravness being captured in the Warren Report, otherwise you'll miss her first recruitment requirement. In fact, you should check the Warren Report all the time for new stuff.

Also one of the choices later in the game(also a requirement for Ravness) is badly translated. When the Galgastani Wyrmknight asks to join you make sure you pick the second choice, and bring him to the next battle(but have him complete his conversation with Denam before you win).

Totakeke said:
No game breaking phalanx.

Really? I thought they could? *shrug*

krYlon

Finally have a dragon! Much easier to tame them in random battles.

Also, the random battles where it's your 12 vs god knows how many, are awesome. I think they're a lot better than the story battles actually.

ferr

I can't believe I'm still trying to get
Azelstan. I now have all of the tidings that are SUPPOSEDLY time-sensitive (all the way up to 'A Tiny Life Taken'). But now that I'm in Coda (I progressed all the way through to Coda, didn't lose the tidings by anchoring), and Azelstan is a no-show in Crystal Halls!

ferr

Crakatak187 said:
You suppose to get him before Coda I think.
Well, the strategy guide says "Completing this battle (the 2nd Port Omish battle) concludes all of the time-sensitive parts of the Pirate's Graveyard quest. You can continue it at any time by visiting the Pirate's Graveyard, and making your way to the Crystal Halls area."

I'm going to sue BradyGames.

edit: looks like you're right. anchored back to pre-coda and it triggered.

Shuusui

Ozma
's "Ivory Tower" move is game breaking.

Picture the scene: Move 5 into crowd of enemies. Double Attack one character and kill them. Get 75+ TP instantly. Activate Ivory Tower. Take ZERO physical damage until next turn, all the while counter attacking and gaining more TP. Repeat process. ????. Profit.

Truly, worth taking the Law route just for this satisfaction!

Yaweee

Shuusui said:
Ozma
's "Ivory Tower" move is game breaking.

Picture the scene: Move 5 into crowd of enemies. Double Attack one character and kill them. Get 75+ TP instantly. Activate Ivory Tower. Take ZERO physical damage until next turn, all the while counter attacking and gaining more TP. Repeat process. ????. Profit.

Truly, worth taking the Law route just for this satisfaction!

Eh, Phalanx is about as good, all-in-all. Less impervious, but easier to activate reliably.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Ravness joins you because she believes you can redeem yourself.

Also he apologizes for being a racist if you recruit her.
One thing you have to realize, though, is that Denam isn't supposed to be a faceless/wordless receptacle for your opinions, he is his own character.

Just make sure to immediately read the news about Ravness being captured in the Warren Report, otherwise you'll miss her first recruitment requirement. In fact, you should check the Warren Report all the time for new stuff.

Also one of the choices later in the game(also a requirement for Ravness) is badly translated. When the Galgastani Wyrmknight asks to join you make sure you pick the second choice, and bring him to the next battle(but have him complete his conversation with Denam before you win).

Really? I thought they could? *shrug*
...It was a really bad idea to name him Ellis then, wasn't it :x lolz...

Guh... I read the Warren Report regularly, so I guess that'll be easy enough.

I'm still torn >_< I feel like such a tool if I follow the second option.

i'm trying to recruit a
zelstan, but somehow it isn't working. any advice? there is barely info online and that shit is impossible to figure out by yourself. can i jump around with WORLD, or am i forced to play through the story again from the first point onward? i have no luck using WORLD.

zurra

oh no... i'm hoping i didn't just mess up badly.
got catiua back and was playing around with the princess class. didn't realize i don't have any priest marks and really want to change her back to a priest.
am i screwed?

Peff

zurra said:
oh no... i'm hoping i didn't just mess up badly.
got catiua back and was playing around with the princess class. didn't realize i don't have any priest marks and really want to change her back to a priest.
am i screwed?

No, there are marks for it. If I remember correctly you can find some on
Phorampa Woods, the clerics there will randomly have them

Shuusui

Can anyone provide a Map for the Palace of the Dead?

I'm trying to get to level 22 as quickly as possible, and I don't want to take a wrong turn and miss it. Can anyone help?

Shuusui said:
Can anyone provide a Map for the Palace of the Dead?

I'm trying to get to level 22 as quickly as possible, and I don't want to take a wrong turn and miss it. Can anyone help?

Went through gamefaqs and found this.

1 > 2 > 3 (find Secret Door to progress further) > 4 > 5 (divide to two routes) > 6 > 7 > 10 (merge here)

5 > 8 > 9 > 10 > 11 > 12 (divide to two routes) > 17 > 18 (Dead end)

12 > 13 > 14 (divide to two route here) > 15 (Dead end)

14 > 16 > 19 > 20 (divide to two route) > 23 > 24 (Shop)

20 > 21 > 22 > 25 > 26 > 27 > 28 (divide to two route) > 29 > 32 > 33 (merge here)
28 > 30 > 31 > 33 > 34 (divide again) > 35 > 38 (merge here)

34 > 36 > 37 > 38 > 40 (divide again) > 39 (Dead End)

40 > 41 > 42 > 43 (divide again) > 46 > 48 (merge here)

43 > 44 > 45 > 48 > 49 > 50 > 51 > 52 > 53 > 54 (divide again) > 55 > 58 > 59 (Dead End)

54 > 56 > 57 > 60 (divide again) > 61 (Dead End)

60 > 62 (divide again) > 63 > 64 > 65 (Shop)

62 > 66 > 67 (divide again) > 69 > 70 (merge here and divide again)
67 > 68 > 70 > 72 (Dead End)
70 > 71 > 73 > 74 > 75 (divide again) > 78 > 79 > 85 (divide again) > 86 (Dead End)
75 > 76 (divide again) > 77 (Dead End)

76 > 81 > 84 (divide again) > 80 (merge from 85) > 87 > 89 (Dead End)

84 > 88 (divide again) > 92 (divide again) > 93 (Dead End)

88 > 90 (divide again) > 83 > 82 > 92 > 96 (Dead End)

92 > 94 > 98 (Dead End)

90 > 95 > 97 > 99 > "Goal"

This route opens ONLY if you have DLC 1
98 > 101 > 102 (divide here) > 103 (Shop)
102 > 104 > 105 > 106 > 107 > 108 (divide here) > 109 > 112 (merge here)
108 > 110 > 111 > 112 > 113 > 114 > DLC Goal.

Sorry I can't find the picture fast. I got a stomach and got to go to the bathroom right now.

Yeah I'm doing it again myself. This time I'm making the A.I do most of the battles for me. Probably going to have to do 2 more run throughs right later on.

Shuusui

Crakatak187 said:
Went through gamefaqs and found this.

1 > 2 > 3 (find Secret Door to progress further) > 4 > 5 (divide to two routes) > 6 > 7 > 10 (merge here)

5 > 8 > 9 > 10 > 11 > 12 (divide to two routes) > 17 > 18 (Dead end)

12 > 13 > 14 (divide to two route here) > 15 (Dead end)

14 > 16 > 19 > 20 (divide to two route) > 23 > 24 (Shop)

20 > 21 > 22 > 25 > 26 > 27 > 28 (divide to two route) > 29 > 32 > 33 (merge here)
28 > 30 > 31 > 33 > 34 (divide again) > 35 > 38 (merge here)

34 > 36 > 37 > 38 > 40 (divide again) > 39 (Dead End)

40 > 41 > 42 > 43 (divide again) > 46 > 48 (merge here)

43 > 44 > 45 > 48 > 49 > 50 > 51 > 52 > 53 > 54 (divide again) > 55 > 58 > 59 (Dead End)

54 > 56 > 57 > 60 (divide again) > 61 (Dead End)

60 > 62 (divide again) > 63 > 64 > 65 (Shop)

62 > 66 > 67 (divide again) > 69 > 70 (merge here and divide again)
67 > 68 > 70 > 72 (Dead End)
70 > 71 > 73 > 74 > 75 (divide again) > 78 > 79 > 85 (divide again) > 86 (Dead End)
75 > 76 (divide again) > 77 (Dead End)

76 > 81 > 84 (divide again) > 80 (merge from 85) > 87 > 89 (Dead End)

84 > 88 (divide again) > 92 (divide again) > 93 (Dead End)

88 > 90 (divide again) > 83 > 82 > 92 > 96 (Dead End)

92 > 94 > 98 (Dead End)

90 > 95 > 97 > 99 > "Goal"

This route opens ONLY if you have DLC 1
98 > 101 > 102 (divide here) > 103 (Shop)
102 > 104 > 105 > 106 > 107 > 108 (divide here) > 109 > 112 (merge here)
108 > 110 > 111 > 112 > 113 > 114 > DLC Goal.

Sorry I can't find the picture fast. I got a stomach and got to go to the bathroom right now.
Awesome post! I got two Divine Knights, currently leveled up to 22. Going to get their 1H Sword skill maxed and go about my business!

Masaki_

I kinda want Divine Knights, too, but I don't want bother if I can't find generics with good stats to recruit. The best one I have has 35 as his highest stat.

Stats aren't really that important for Divine Knights because their only real use, their specials, aren't dependent on them. I haven't found Divine Knights to be especially useful outside of undead battles. It's a shame because they are the hardest class to get in the game and were a fun class to use in the original. Now they're just Valkyries who can fly, but with a worse spell selection (no spellcraft so only exorcism is ever useful) and some decent special abilities.

Shuusui

Okay, now my
Ozma
has 975 atk... I'm thinking of restarting. Why do I get the urge to begin all over again when I'm 100 hours into a game?

zurra

anyone have advice for
the second fight in Omish where you have to save Azelstan from the Bakram Terror Knight and his lackeys? before he runs off to the pirate graveyard. i can't get anyone close enough to heal before he dies...

edit: scratch that, i'm an idiot. just needed to
give denam a lobber! :p

Crakatak187 said:
Summon Darkness has got to be the most annoying enemy skill in the game. Pooping out more zombies over and over.

I think most of this thread going to vote for Phalanx there. Myself included, I think.

platypotamus said:
I think most of this thread going to vote for Phalanx there. Myself included, I think.

Nah, there aren't very many enemy leaders that are Knights in difficult battles. Besides, ignore the phalanxed Knight and he'll run out of TP, it's not all that annoying. Enemies that can summon a whole horde of undead are much worse.

Top Bottom