• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

TommyT

duckroll said:
I can't believe this is really finally actually happening. A remake of Tactics Ogre which does not look like shit, done by the original team, with a revised and expanded scenario from Matsuno, new UI from Minagawa, and a brand new translation by Alexander O Smith.

Shit like this shouldn't happen in the real world. We've all been incepted.

aorywx.gif

Seriously though, this is the very rare occasion of something like this happening and we can only hope it does as well as it SHOULD.

Minsc

Gold Member
DMPrince said:
font size 8. Comic Sans

Don't forget to italicize everything!

Edit: Someone should have told them to replace all their periods with exclamation marks too! It would have been so much cooler!

duckroll said:
I can't believe this is really finally actually happening. A remake of Tactics Ogre which does not look like shit, done by the original team, with a revised and expanded scenario from Matsuno, new UI from Minagawa, and a brand new translation by Alexander O Smith.

Shit like this shouldn't happen in the real world. We've all been incepted.

The world ends next year.

The universe decided to give us one last amazing thing to enjoy. Thanks universe!

Hobbun

Fimbulvetr said:
The world ends next year.

The universe decided to give us one last amazing thing to enjoy. Thanks universe!

But..but it can't. My backlog is too huge, I'll never finish it in time.

gunstarhero

new (2.10.11) ATB podcast (Active Time Babble) is all about this game - good listen so far.

So STILL pissed I can't get this game thru PSN...

TommyT

gunstarhero said:
new (2.10.11) ATB podcast (Active Time Babble) is all about this game - good listen so far.

So STILL pissed I can't get this game thru PSN...

It's confirmed to not be coming to PSN? Did I miss it?!

DiscoJer

mjc said:
If any of you guys are interested, Amazon has the strategy guide listed for $12.50.

Oooh, 400 pages.

I actually have the strategy guide for the Atlus PS1 release. Terrible. Missed much of the secret stuff.

edit: Found it. 96 pages, $14.99. As I remembered, just a bare bones walkthrough.

I will have to get the new one, hopefully it doesn't sell out as I am broke...

Shadow780 said:
It used to be bad, but some of their RPG guides has been quite good, especially handhelds, I think they've got some enthusiast to work with Brady.
oh. i want to see what it is if it's 400 pages then lol

Ikkarus

I'd want the guide purely for the additional artwork, although I'll sit on it for now. The EU edition art book should keep me happy when it arrives.

Bradygames tactics advice is usually poor imo, but you'll probably get some nice artwork included. Only 'official' guide writers I respect right now are Futurepress.

kiryogi

Banned
So word from gamefaqs and no surprise. The cards aren't the best of quality.

The card stock is ass.
>They are about two sheets of printer paper thick with zero heft or support
>They are rigid, but will easily bend or break
>Basically the worst card stock to use

Now it makes the slime plush for DQ6 look more appealing. Although it's no different from the JP tarots either supposedly. Conflicted. XD

careksims

kiryogi said:

Now it makes the slime plush for DQ6 look more appealing. Although it's no different from the JP tarots either supposedly. Conflicted. XD

D: D: D: Oh geeze....

Snaku

Banned
kiryogi said:

Even more reason to sit this one out until PSN release...

mjemirzian said:
Anyway, I find it strange that people want to apologize and moralize for the developers instead of ask them to do a better job at balancing their games.

Because your definition of balance is stupid.

Yaweee

mjemirzian said:
Whatever you say chief!

I bitch about balance constantly, and I somehow think your definition of balance is stupid, too. If time genuinely wasted when you die is somehow a measure of balance, then I simply don't know what to say. I guess long load times and time consuming battle animations can help with balance.

DMPrince said:
here comes a winded reply in 5...4...

This is like the LOST |OT|

Also, mr.mjemirzian, you seem to think that difficulty = penalty for failure.

This is not the case.

The act of rewinding your turn itself shows that the game has difficulty. The fact that you can rewind it has nothing to do with the games difficulty.

Just because you can see the credits doesn't mean the game is easy. After all, it's entirely possible to just download a save and beat the game in five minutes! According to your definition this is entirely fair!

After all, the player is to use every tool at their disposal. And guess what? For a PSP game it's perfectly possible to download a save from the internet five minutes from the last boss with a maxed out character and infinite lives and what have you. Therefore, according to your definition of difficulty no PSP games are balanced.

Yaweee said:
I bitch about balance constantly, and I somehow think your definition of balance is stupid, too. If time genuinely wasted when you die is somehow a measure of balance, then I simply don't know what to say.
It doesn't have anything to do with time wasted, it has to do with manipulating and avoiding the RNG, as I've already said. For example, Advance Wars has quicksaves, but they don't reduce the difficulty much if at all because it's almost entirely a deterministic game. Valkyria Chronicles quicksaves on the other hand open the door to all manner of difficulty reducing features based on the RNG.

PataHikari said:
After all, the player is to use every tool at their disposal. And guess what? For a PSP game it's perfectly possible to download a save from the internet five minutes from the last boss with a maxed out character and infinite lives and what have you. Therefore, according to your definition of difficulty no PSP games are balanced.
This is called cheating. Hope that helps.

Yaweee

BentMyWookiee said:
Excuse my noobiness, but would somebody mind explaining RNG to me? I keep seeing it mentioned.

Random Number Generation, i.e. how the game determines "randomness".

In Fire Emblem, even if you turn the system on and off again, the autosave will produce the same results because the "randomness" is reading off a table of values already determined, so the same actions will produce the same events no matter what the shown probabilities are.

Different games use different methods for determining randomness, and if you know what you're doing, you can use quicksaves and the CHARIOT system to abuse things.

BentMyWookiee said:
Excuse my noobiness, but would somebody mind explaining what RNG is? I keep seeing it mentioned.

Random number generator.

Basically, the game rolls an invisible 20 sided die to see if your attack hits or not(other factors contribute as well, obviously).

Ahhhh ok. Thanks! I played a lot of Final Fantasy XI, so everytime I saw RNG, I thought it had something to do with a Ranger class... haha.

But now life makes sense again

Yaweee said:
Different games use different methods for determining randomness, and if you know what you're doing, you can use quicksaves and the CHARIOT system to abuse things.

CHARIOT doesn't reroll.

Going back to use your super special attack that missed the first time won't work, it will miss every time.

We don't know if quick-save works that way yet.

Change topics: This track is awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayymvmuAu2M&feature=related

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
On the one hand, the removal of the Training command makes it impossible to pit one half of your hapless soldiery 'gainst the other, placing friend against friend and brother against brother in a contest of brutality possessed of neither purpose nor reward, embarked upon for no reason other than sadistic fiat.

On the other hand, being able to rewind turns makes it possible to subject unsuspecting members of your militia to a nigh-infinite variety of grim fates in perpetuity, forcing them to endure endless fatal slashings, bludgeonings, and burnings as they ponder what manner of capricious god would subject them to such cruel purgatory.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. This sounds like a step sideways, at best.

ixix said:
On the one hand, the removal of the Training command makes it impossible to pit one half of your hapless soldiery 'gainst the other, placing friend against friend and brother against brother in a contest of brutality possessed of neither purpose nor reward, embarked upon for no reason other than sadistic fiat.

On the other hand, being able to rewind turns makes it possible to subject unsuspecting members of your militia to a nigh-infinite variety of grim fates in perpetuity, forcing them to endure endless fatal slashings, bludgeonings, and burnings as they ponder what manner of capricious god would subject them to such cruel purgatory.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. This sounds like a step sideways, at best.
That reminds me of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragons side quest requirements where you needed to off more than half your cast to reach them. I don't know why people were so upset over that change. Good times were had sacrificing worthless units to their doom.

matmanx1

Minsc said:
Might as well! Thanks, hopefully there's tons of cool blurbs of useless information.

Ordered. For $12.50 and free shipping with Prime I can afford to take the chance. Thanks for the link!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
mjemirzian said:
That reminds me of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragons side quest requirements where you needed to off more than half your cast to reach them. I don't know why people were so upset over that change. Good times were had sacrificing worthless units to their doom.

Pish tosh. Reprehensible sadism towards guileless digital pawns is only fun when it's meaningless. If the game rewards you for it then it's just creepy and gross.

mjemirzian said:
This is called cheating. Hope that helps.

Why? After all, it's allowed by the game.

Or are you putting some arbitrary restriction? I thought you said a player could do whatever it takes to win?

After all, it's entirely possible to make a game where you can't download and transfer saves. Put it on the DS, which is impossible to transfer saves without a cheating device.

If a developer doesn't want players downloading completed saves and actually have some semblance of balance then they shouldn't make save files transferable, or don't put their games on systems that can do this.

Top Bottom