• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Jeff said it'll be on PSN. should we believe that?

Come tuesday "sorry. miscommunication. was excited and meant it comes out in stores (retail) only. Sorry guys"

Peff

Heh, that's possible, unfortunately. He confused Sonic 2006 with Sonic Genesis not so long ago. Maybe it's better to put something in the thread title. So, any mods around?

EDIT: Or was that the EU blog?

Shouta

Dresden said:
emirzian-baiting is like bear-baiting, I wish you guys would stop.

Yeah, which is why I'm not continuing! Besides, gives me more time to play Venus and Braves on PSP.

The Drop says it'll be on PSN Tuesday....and since that's a whole 2 days before my pre order at Gamestop will be available....I'm going DD baby!!

Tiktaalik

Saw this article about the localization on GameSetWatch: Kajiya Productions Discusses Localization Tactics on Tactics Ogre

Were there situations where the Japanese place or character names had unintended consequences and therefore needed to be changed?

Yeah, there were some place names that were downright offensive. Sometimes your hand is forced due to such considerations.

Huh?! Maybe a JGAFer can fill me in on what they might be referencing there. The interviewer didn't follow up.

Yaweee

Tiktaalik said:
Saw this article about the localization on GameSetWatch: Kajiya Productions Discusses Localization Tactics on Tactics Ogre

Huh?! Maybe a JGAFer can fill me in on what they might be referencing there. The interviewer didn't follow up.

That is an awesome interview. So many interesting tidbits in there.

Since the release of the first trailer, fans of the Ogre Saga have noticed that some of the names have been changed. What went into the decisions to render certain proper nouns differently for this translation?

What we did when we started Tactics Ogre was we took a step back from the pre-existing English translation. We looked at the Japanese and the threads of history laid out in the world in Matsuno’s design documents. We found a cognate in the Western world in Constantinople at the time of the Byzantine Empire. We looked at the way that different cultures had come together there. It was a melting pot in a lot of ways, and so was the world of Tactics Ogre. That gave us a touchstone to use. The changing of the names came from there.

Specifically, when we looked at the letters that were used to make those sounds in that area, the “xy” combination was much more prominent than the “ze.” Thus Zeteginea becomes Xytegenia. That was one of the first terms that we translated, and everything else grew from there. The Byzantine Empire connection was extremely useful when fleshing out place names. If you’re going straight from the katakana, you can get a real mishmash, so we took some creative license with Matsuno’s oversight. We felt really lucky to have that contact to run names by him.

There were places where the original Japanese was taking inspiration from several different sources at once. Where it was possible, we bent that toward a source that made sense in the context of the game. Therefore, more Greek than Roman, keeping things further East. More Middle East than Asian. You’re trying to figure out where the Japanese got its inspiration from, and then bend that inspiration to fit the world that you’re in the process of creating. If you go straight from the katakana, you’ll end up with something not internally cohesive.

On character names, we were less tied to place. Denam Pavel had previously been Denim Powell. When I hear “Powell,” the first thing I think of is Colin Powell, and that jolts me right out of the world. Other names, like Warren Moon, were changed by request from Matsuno who wanted to step away from directly referencing real world people.

Some of his comments about localizations seem to describe what went wrong with FFT's original translation. "No internal coherency" just about sums it up.
Astrology and tarot cards appear rather frequently in Matsuno’s games. Were themes of fate and fortune important reference points for the localization?

The game begins with tarot cards representing choices you must make to define the character you will play. In the localization, we took that theme and ran with it, using the tarot cards and the themes they represent as touchstones for dialogue. If your luck is good, you thank the Wheel. If you want to wish someone fortune in battle, you pray that the Chariot rides with them.

Speaking of the Chariot, one thing that was elegantly handled in the game was the way the Chariot Tarot works. It lets you rewind a battle up to fifty steps in the past. However, it locks in all the random values, so if you make all the same choices you’ll have the same fate. That rang very true to me.

Peff

Speaking of the choices at the beginning of the game, here are the modifiers for Denam's base status you can get:

(HP - STR - VIT - DEX - AGI - AVD - INT - MND - RES in order)
(Numbers will be added - does not lower - to your status, choose what you think is best)
Fool:
Left > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 2
Middle > 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0
Right > 5 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 1 - 0

Magician:
Left > 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0
Middle > 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1
Right > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 2 - 0

Priestess:
Left > 2 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Middle > 5 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1
Right > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2

Empress:
Left > 5 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0
Middle > 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0
Right > 2 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0

Emperor:
Left > 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0
Middle > 2 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0
Right > 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0

Hierophant:
Left > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0
Middle > 4 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2
Right > 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1

Lovers:
Left > 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0
Middle > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 3
Right > 5 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1

Chariots:
Left > 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1
Middle > 5 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 1 - 0
Right > 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0

Strength:
Left > 5 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1
Middle > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 2 - 0
Right > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2

Hermit:
Left > 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0
Middle > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2
Right > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 2

Wheel of Fortune:
Left > 2 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0
Middle > 2 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
Right > 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0

Justice:
Left > 4 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2
Middle > 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0
Right > 2 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

Hanged Man:
Left > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 3
Middle > 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1
Right > 5 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0

Death:
Left > 5 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 1 - 0
Middle > 5 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1
Right > 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0

Temperance:
Left > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 2 - 0
Middle > 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0
Right > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0

Devil:
Left > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 2
Middle > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2
Right > 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0

Tower:
Left > 2 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0
Middle > 4 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 2
Right > 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1

Star:
Left > 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0
Middle > 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 0
Right > 5 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1

Moon:
Left > 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 1
Middle > 2 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Right > 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0

Sun:
Left > 5 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 1
Middle > 5 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 2 - 0
Right > 2 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0

Judgment:
Left > 1 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0
Middle > 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0
Right > 4 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 2

World:
Left > 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 1 - 2
Middle > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0
Right > 2 - 0 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 3

Prioritizing Strength is probably a good idea.

DiscoJer

Fimbulvetr said:
Good. Now nobody can bitch about name changes. :p

Nah!

On character names, we were less tied to place. Denam Pavel had previously been Denim Powell. When I hear “Powell,” the first thing I think of is Colin Powell, and that jolts me right out of the world. Other names, like Warren Moon, were changed by request from Matsuno who wanted to step away from directly referencing real world people.

While it's nice to know the reason, at the same time, Colin Powell is pretty much a figure of the 90s. He hasn't been relevant in 15 years.

On the flip side, "Pavel" immediately reminds me of the Russian guy from Star Trek, Pavel Chekov.

In all honesty, I would guess that gamers are far, far, far more likely to know who Pavel Chekov is than Colin Powell. Even 15 years ago I would be surprised if most knew who he was.

Yaweee said:
Oh, they'll still bitch. Rest assured.

Gamestop texted me that it will be in tomorrow afternoon. Yay.

I was called. My god, the automated voice they use is soooooooooooooooo bad.

DiscoJer said:
While it's nice to know the reason, at the same time, Colin Powell is pretty much a figure of the 90s. He hasn't been relevant in 15 years.

On the flip side, "Pavel" immediately reminds me of the Russian guy from Star Trek, Pavel Chekov.

In all honesty, I would guess that gamers are far, far, far more likely to know who Pavel Chekov is than Colin Powell. Even 15 years ago I would be surprised if most knew who he was.

Pavel is a Slavic first or last name, it fits more than Powell because of the connection to history surrounding the Byzantine Empire.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DiscoJer said:
Did you just miss the 2000s or something?

Fimbulvetr said:
Pavel is a Slavic first or last name, it fits more than Powell because of the connection to history surrounding the Byzantine Empire.

To be more precise it connects more with Valeria's first inspiration for the political background: Yugoslavia. I don't remember that much Byzantine inspirations in the original, however I remember names from lots of ancient civilisations: from middle east/mesopotamian references like Zenobia, Goliath to Celtic or Germanic one...

Important information: The japanese DLC is already included in the english version! Straight from Joseph Reeder's twitter: http://twitter.com/josephreeder/status/37280203084533760

Alexander O.Smith remember us one thing about Chariot System:
Speaking of the Chariot, one thing that was elegantly handled in the game was the way the Chariot Tarot works. It lets you rewind a battle up to fifty steps in the past. However, it locks in all the random values, so if you make all the same choices you’ll have the same fate. That rang very true to me.

Personnaly, the one thing I already regret from the original is the immediate permanent death which created a tension during fights and went well with the dramatic and tragic atmosphere of the game.

Hikash Winzalf said:
Important information: The japanese DLC is already included in the english version! Straight from Joseph Reeder's twitter: http://twitter.com/josephreeder/status/37280203084533760

This release just gets better and better.
GlHUc.gif

ferr

The DLC comes with the US version!?

I don't mean to raise expectations too highly, but this could be the greatest game ever.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hikash Winzalf said:

Alexander O.Smith remember us one thing about Chariot System:

Wow, very nice! Totally did not expect they'd get it in there in time, given the Japanese DLC just finished releasing the final part a month (or two) ago.

Anyone get a shipping update from Amazon? My release day shipping status still appears the same as it did weeks ago. Hopefully it updates tomorrow morning.

Jigsaw said:
how long were these dlc episodes?

I don't know about the second and third(which are actual additional scenarios), but the first one adds 33 floors to an already 100 floor optional dungeon.

I have the game and guide preordered on amazon, (total being much cheaper than buying in a store) but I might just cancel it just so I can get them both tomorrow instead of waiting for the free super saver shipping...

It'll cost me a good 13 bucks or so extra, but damn do I want to play this game

robotzombie said:
I have the game and guide preordered on amazon, (total being much cheaper than buying in a store) but I might just cancel it just so I can get them both tomorrow instead of waiting for the free super saver shipping...

It'll cost me a good 13 bucks or so extra, but damn do I want to play this game
Did they not give you free release date delivery?

Minsc said:
Anyone get a shipping update from Amazon? My release day shipping status still appears the same as it did weeks ago. Hopefully it updates tomorrow morning.
Mine hasn't shipped yet, but they charged my card a couple hours ago. So I'm assuming it'll go out shortly.

Mazre

Minsc said:

Mine shipped from Amazon this evening at 5:30 EST and email notification arrived at 6:10 EST.

BentMyWookiee said:
Did they not give you free release date delivery?

Do they ever give that to people who don't have amazon prime? I don't have that so I was under the impression that release date delivery would be expensive

robotzombie said:
Do they ever give that to people who don't have amazon prime? I don't have that so I was under the impression that release date delivery would be expensive
Oh, I don't know. I totally forgot I was on prime. But before I went prime I thought I remember release date delivery actually being pretty cheap; 3 bucks or something like that.

robotzombie said:

I've had super saver shipping style things arrive in a single day before, but I'm in Seattle and they have a big distribution center here. Kinda hoping that happens with this one :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
Wow, very nice! Totally did not expect they'd get it in there in time, given the Japanese DLC just finished releasing the final part a month (or two) ago.

My MvC3 and Tactics Ogre shipped not too long ago

will probably update later today for you

Overnight is. Release Date shipping is crazy cheap

like a dollar something for both Tactics Ogre and MvC3

I'd have spent more on tax picking them up at gamestop or something

Fucking love Amazon for it lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
robotzombie said:
I don't really see any release date shipping options, only 1 day, 2 day, etc...

It isn't offered for the guide

Products that offer it will tell you on their page if they offer it.

and items that do can't be grouped with items that can't

You can probably select separate shipments and still get it for the game though

Yay for DLC being included!

robotzombie said:
I don't really see any release date shipping options, only 1 day, 2 day, etc...
It might be too late for release date shipping then if you're placing an order right now.

Oh well, at least I know for next time...

I still might just take the 13 buck hit and grab them tomorrow instead, the hype for this game really just creeped up on me and now I can't wait

Gotta decide quick though, before they process my order

I'll probably buy this online then pick up a physical copy whenever it manages to get to Canada. Niche titles don't have a good record of being timely.

Az987

all good things
Yippie!

Amazon just shipped mine.

To bad UPS usually doesn't deliver things to my house until 5pm or later. The wait is going to be unbearable!

Minsc

Gold Member
Mine shipped out too! Must have sent the e-mail and status update shortly after I posted. Looks like it should do decent sales from Amazon, lol, a ton of people getting confirmations.

Carlisle

Hikash Winzalf said:
Personnaly, the one thing I already regret from the original is the immediate permanent death which created a tension during fights and went well with the dramatic and tragic atmosphere of the game.
That's actually a cool way to look at it that I hadn't considered before. But instapermadeath is what kept the original from being playable/enjoyable for me. I'd get really OCD about losing characters I've built up, so I'd restart battles over and over again. It got to be too exhausting and I lost interest despite how much I loved the story.

The countdown death in this version made it an instant day 1 purchase and my most anticipated game this year. I'm so fucking excited for tomorrow.

Yaweee

Fimbulvetr said:
I don't know about the second and third(which are actual additional scenarios), but the first one adds 33 floors to an already 100 floor optional dungeon.

I think I read that DLC 2 is a chain of new boss fights, and DLC 3 is a short prequel.

Carlisle said:
That's actually a cool way to look at it that I hadn't considered before. But instapermadeath is what kept the original from being playable/enjoyable for me. I'd get really OCD about losing characters I've built up, so I'd restart battles over and over again. It got to be too exhausting and I lost interest despite how much I loved the story.

The countdown death in this version made it an instant day 1 purchase and my most anticipated game this year. I'm so fucking excited for tomorrow.

It was that, and new characters having to start at Level 1, unlike most of the other Ogre and tactics games. OB1, OB64, FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2 I think all had recruitable generics at level either at your average or as high as your leader. Combined with its horrible Training system, it made perma-death a gargantuan pain in the ass.

Top Bottom