• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
firehawk12 said:
Not sure if serious.

I'm completely serious. When has Gamespot had a decent review since 2006 (if that)?

Edit: And I see they still haven't dropped the stupid ass images in their reviews. God, ever since their redesign it's been utter shit to view their site.

(However the 9.0 is good)

Chemo

PataHikari said:
Why? After all, it's allowed by the game.

Or are you putting some arbitrary restriction? I thought you said a player could do whatever it takes to win?

After all, it's entirely possible to make a game where you can't download and transfer saves. Put it on the DS, which is impossible to transfer saves without a cheating device.

If a developer doesn't want players downloading completed saves and actually have some semblance of balance then they shouldn't make save files transferable, or don't put their games on systems that can do this.
Hahah, alright. This post is hilariously awesome.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the rebuttal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TheSeks said:
I'm completely serious. When has Gamespot had a decent review since 2006 (if that)?

Edit: And I see they still haven't dropped the stupid ass images in their reviews. God, ever since their redesign it's been utter shit to view their site.

(However the 9.0 is good)

Didn't GAF splooge when they named Demon's Souls GOTY in 2009?

randomkid

Not to interrupt the completely scintillating difficulty/exploit conversation, but this is actually important.

The card stock is ass.
>They are about two sheets of printer paper thick with zero heft or support
>They are rigid, but will easily bend or break
>Basically the worst card stock to use

Anyone else wanna verify this? Because I trust Parish more than some random gamefaq person and they look pretty good to me in his pic.

http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew2/2010/11/05/tactics-ogre-japan-still-gets-all-the-good-stuff/

I'm assuming the cards we're getting are exactly the same as the ones from Japan pictured there.

Chemo

randomkid said:
Not to interrupt the completely scintillating difficulty/exploit conversation, but this is actually important.

Anyone else wanna verify this? Because I trust Parish more than some random gamefaq person and they look pretty good to me in his pic.

http://www.gamespite.net/verbalspew2/2010/11/05/tactics-ogre-japan-still-gets-all-the-good-stuff/

I'm assuming the cards we're getting are exactly the same as the ones from Japan pictured there.
I don't know. Honestly, I feel like discussion about the game -- as ridiculous and circular and hilarious as it can end up being -- is far more important in a topic regarding the actual game itself than the quality of some pieces of cardboard that people are going to put in a drawer in a week and never even think about again.

randomkid said:

That same post on GameFAQs says the images are vivid and clear, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. (And I don't think break is the right word to use, they aren't brittle.)

Also, considering it's only the major arcana, you couldn't use them to divine anyway, so their primary use is to look at. Put them is a frame or a file folder and you'll get the most use out of them.

randomkid

Chemo said:
I don't know. Honestly, I feel like discussion about the game -- as ridiculous and circular and hilarious as it can end up being -- is far more important in a topic regarding the actual game itself than the quality of some pieces of cardboard that people are going to put in a drawer in a week and never even think about again.

Haha you don't understand, us aesthetes desperately crave the cards more than anything, OH GOD I WANT THEM SO BADLY.

Dresden

randomkid said:

Pretty much for display only, so I'm not too worried either way. I'll probably put it in a box and forget about it like all the other bonus shit I accumulate.

Mobius 1

I'm hurting, I don't want to buy a PSP with the NGP looming on the horizon. But this game is making it difficult to resist.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
The preorder bonus cards are printed nicely, but the feel is that of oversized Bicycle cards -- glossy stock, and fairly thin. Real tarot cards (at least the few that I've seen) are usually matte and printed on super hefty card stock, often with rag content. I think it's kind of unrealistic to expect a freebie to be that high quality, though. Yoshida/Masao's illustrations look gorgeous and clear, and that's all I really care about. It's not like you're gonna use the damn things for an actual reading, since it's just the major arcana anyway.

Massa

TheSeks said:

The last review I read from Gamespot (Stacking) is pretty damn good. They have great reviewers over there.

I pretty much only go to Gamespot and 1UP for reviews and I'm generally satisfied with both.

randomkid

ToastyFrog said:
The preorder bonus cards are printed nicely, but the feel is that of oversized Bicycle cards -- glossy stock, and fairly thin. Real tarot cards (at least the few that I've seen) are usually matte and printed on super hefty card stock, often with rag content. I think it's kind of unrealistic to expect a freebie to be that high quality, though. Yoshida/Masao's illustrations look gorgeous and clear, and that's all I really care about. It's not like you're gonna use the damn things for an actual reading, since it's just the major arcana anyway.

Sounds good to me, I'm assuaged. Tarot cards are such a creative bonus, I feel like this kind of thing should be rewarded. That's why I'm pre-ordering instead of waiting for the inevitable drop to 19.99 a few months from now.

Now I just have to continue my campaign for a Megaten-themed Tarot set for Persona 2 PSP. You hear me Atlus! I need creatively displayed Kaneko demon art too!

Wow and yet another review convinces me I need to pick this up on day 1. Gamespots calling of this as the definitive game of this genre is pretty stunning and the excellent story too!

Minsc

Gold Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Wow and yet another review convinces me I need to pick this up on day 1. Gamespots calling of this as the definitive game of this genre is pretty stunning and the excellent story too!

Didn't even think that was a question, but nice to see they agree!

Norante said:
I'm hurting, I don't want to buy a PSP with the NGP looming on the horizon. But this game is making it difficult to resist.

PSP2 could have limited launch, or tiered launch, or delays, and even if none of that happens it could easily be close to the end of the year that it launches.

Just get a cheap PSP (used) and start buying and enjoying your PSN collection now! There's probably at least a good 20 RPGs/other must-have games you can start buying over the year rather than buy it all at once when the NGP is out. Then when you get the NGP you'll have an awesome library of PSP/PSN games to enjoy/have at your finger-tips, already paid for.

And there's always the (extremely slim) chance this never hits PSN, so even with a NGP you may never get to play it!

Ikkarus

Clocian-IGN said:
is there any difference between the europe and NA versions of games(specifically this one)?
As far as I know we get to see ass on the EU cover whilst the US gets a covered up case.

EU also get a premium edition which has soundtrack, art book and 50% voucher for Vagrant Story on PSN.

US gets the tarot cards upon release.

As for the game istelf I don't think anything is different.

Minsc

Gold Member
Clocian-IGN said:
is there any difference between the europe and NA versions of games(specifically this one)?

The box art varies, as do the physical extras. The DLC needs a corresponding PSN account to download. The game itself so far is believed to be identical.

Sometimes games exist in one market but not the other, like Tales of Etenia (not sold in the US). But since the PSP is region free for games, that doesn't really matter.

Edit: Beaten, but the part about DLC is included! :)

Peff

It probably should work, since I really doubt the EU/US UMDs will be any different, they're not translating the game to any other language so other than possible censorship the content is exactly the same. If it turns out it doesn't work, the DLC can be downloaded from the other Store since it's free, but that's a bit of a hassle since PSPs don't support multiple accounts at the same time.

EDIT: Might want to edit that.

PataHikari said:
Why? After all, it's allowed by the game.

Or are you putting some arbitrary restriction? I thought you said a player could do whatever it takes to win?
You don't accomplish or "win" anything by loading someone elses save file as you can't take credit for their playthrough and work done. It doesn't matter how the save files are copied or whether there's save protection, or whether it's a board game or a digital one. This has more to do with the nature of what games are and how they're played. Taking credit for someone elses progress that you copied is considered cheating. Not really worth bringing up IMO.

ferr

hmm, that whole idea of leveling classes instead of individual party members is kind of weird. Takes a lot of fun out of it I think..

Ikkarus

I don't suppose anyone knows of a site which details all of the different classes and skills/magics that are available to them?

Just want to study up before it arrives.

ferr

Fimbulvetr said:
The remake fixes that by having whole classes level up instead; so if a character is struggling to keep up, you can always make them a Knight instead and they'll suddenly jump to Level 14.
That just seems like one of the most enjoyable parts of FFT for me (albeit the most time consuming, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it..) So instead of unlocking a class for a character and getting them high level in that class, you do that with one character and everyone else essentially gains xp with him.

ferr said:
That just seems like one of the most enjoyable parts of FFT for me (albeit the most time consuming, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it..) So instead of unlocking a class for a character and getting them high level in that class, you do that with one character and everyone else essentially gains xp with him.

Sure, but they won't have the same stats or skills as another character.

Jigsaw

Banned
ferr said:

the level isn't everything,you still need to use individual characters to gain battle points to buy new abilities,or so i have heard

ferr

That review didn't mention anything about the new crafting system, unless I overlooked it. Anyone know anything about it?

Sipowicz

Banned
right, i'm getting this when it comes out here

if i end up getting stuck on the first level with no clue what to do i'm blaming you lot

CaLe

Quick question guys, will the game be an UMD exclusive ? Also, will it have an install option ?

I know the game isn't out yet so it's hard to answer, but if anyone knows, that would be great :)

Peff

CaLe said:
Quick question guys, will the game be an UMD exclusive ? Also, will it have an install option ?

I know the game isn't out yet so it's hard to answer, but if anyone knows, that would be great :)

I don't understand what the big deal is in releasing their games on PSN. Isn't that actually benefiting them instead of hurting sales?

I don't get it, I just don't.

I think it's Square-Enix USA, right? Because aren't Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday on the Japanese PSN?

That should be a good indication that it will be released on PSN, right?

Chemo

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I don't understand what the big deal is in releasing their games on PSN. Isn't that actually benefiting them instead of hurting sales?

I don't get it, I just don't.

I think it's Square-Enix USA, right? Because aren't Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday on the Japanese PSN?

That should be a good indication that it will be released on PSN, right?
Pretty sure the reason not to release it on PSN now is to sell UMDs to people who want it right now, and then put it on the PSN after PSP2 comes out, so anyone who would want to play Tactics Ogre and The 3rd Birthday on PSP2 would have to repurchase it.

It's pretty dirty, but in this one specific instance I hope people say fuck it and support Tactics Ogre regardless. Twice, even. I really want a new Ogre Battle game.

Chemo said:
Pretty sure the reason not to release it on PSN now is to sell UMDs to people who want it right now, and then put it on the PSN after PSP2 comes out, so anyone who would want to play Tactics Ogre and The 3rd Birthday on PSP2 would have to repurchase it.

It's pretty dirty, but in this one specific instance I hope people say fuck it and support Tactics Ogre regardless. Twice, even. I really want a new Ogre Battle game.
If you're right, than that means they'll charge $40 for Crisis Core for NGP owners when the UMD is only $10 right now!

It is dirty, but it makes it even more bitter since Japan has TO and 3rd Birthday on PSN. KH Birth By Sleep isn't on Japan's PSN so I didn't feel letdown when it was UMD only. But now they have no excuse.

Sucks for PSP Go owners. :(

Chemo

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
If you're right, than that means they'll charge $40 for Crisis Core for NGP owners when the UMD is only $10 right now!

It is dirty, but it makes it even more bitter since Japan has TO and 3rd Birthday on PSN. KH Birth By Sleep isn't on Japan's PSN so I didn't feel letdown when it was UMD only. But now they have no excuse.

Sucks for PSP Go owners. :(
I'm a PSP Go owner. :/

I'm just going to buy the UMD and use my friend's CFW PSP-1000 to rip it. I'll buy it on the PSN if and when it pops up, too. Too bad the life cycle of the PSP is pretty much over, I would have killed for Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64 PSP remakes too. (Remakes of lordly caliber, heh.)

Curufinwe

I just reached the top of Tartarus in P3P this morning so I'm on track to have it finished by the time Amazon gets me Tactics Ogre via FSSS.

Top Bottom