• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Director Hiroshi Minagawa answers some questions about Tactics Ogre & Ogre Saga future here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...et-us-cling-together-your-questions-answered/

Does the development team plan to work again on new episodes and do they have a vision for the saga as a whole in terms of gameplay and story?
HM: I would like to say that we do, but because there are strong feelings associated with the series, I don’t want to do a half-hearted job. As a graphic designer, I wanted to express Ogre Battle on a console system, but that would mean an even tougher job requiring more staff members. This was the first time we were able to gather a team of people who have had significant involvement with the Ogre Battle series, and the team we gathered was larger than we had expected.

However, I feel that gathering another team in the future would be difficult due to everyone’s schedules. Given the chance, I would like to work on the continuation of the series but cannot officially talk about it because of the timing and scheduling conflicts. However, the Ogre Battle Saga plotline lies inside Yasumi Matsuno’s imagination. Yasumi Matsuno designs games by having a game system and then creating a plot and scenario based on that game system. Because his style is to create more content as he goes, there is no clear-cut vision for the saga as a whole. On the other hand, we dream of many things, but I wonder if we can make it a reality during our lifetime…

charlequin said:
Eh, it's more like a "what's important is that Matsuno wants to do it and Square-Enix wants him to do it," which isn't anything new, really.

I can just imagine an HD game in the style of that cinematic trailer.

So good.

matmanx1

Getting this from Gamestop tomorrow and the guide should be arriving from Amazon on Wednesday. I've never had the pleasure of playing this game before so I'm very excited to come in completely fresh and without pre conceived notions of how the game should be. I enjoy RPG's and tactics type games so I'm very much looking forward to this one.

duckroll

charlequin said:
Eh, it's more like a "what's important is that Matsuno wants to do it and Square-Enix wants him to do it," which isn't anything new, really.

That's not what I read out of it. I read it as "goddamn, I'm stuck fixing FFXIV's UI right now, please ask me again in a few years after this game has actually been completely terminated. :/"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fimbulvetr said:
I can just imagine an HD game in the style of that cinematic trailer.

So good.

Fuck that. First I want Matsuno to give me FFXII:I:ZJS HD remix. :|

Mine shipped from Amazon.com today and shall be here tomorrow. :D I can't wait, I never got to play the original even though I wanted to all the time.

Cfh123

How long do you think it will take the price to drop to $19.99?

I booted up my PSP today for the first time in ages. Of course an update was needed, and then it had to recharge to install the update. 2 hours later I can now get into the PS store.

Anyways I saw Persona 3 Portable on the store for $19.99. I think that originally came out for $39.99. I wonder how long it took that price to drop. (I will have to pick up P3P - I never completed P3 FES on the PS2 and it is a classic.)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
kajiya's approach to name localization sounds pretty smart and rigorous, but for someone who's familiar with tactics ogre, 'denam pavel' and 'catiua' so on just sound like someone's been playing telephone with all the names, and it's kinda jarring. and i'm not attached to the original names as such -- 'denim powell' is kinda dopey. i dunno, as an expert on japanese culture, i've noticed that japanese attempts at fantasy tend to produce weird culturally incoherent names, and i wonder if the original nonsense might have been better than an attempt to bludgeon it into sense

Cfh123 said:
How long do you think it will take the price to drop to $19.99?
releasethehounds.jpg

careful

Congrats TO. Since I found out you would be releasing on PSN, I caved in to my indulgence and scoured Craigslist for a PSPGo. Found one for $120. All in all, you will be one expensive little game, but I'm sure you will be worth every dollar.

Yaweee

careful said:
Congrats TO. Since I found out you would be releasing on PSN, I caved in to my indulgence and scoured Craigslist for a PSPGo. Found one for $120. All in all, you will be one expensive little game, but I'm sure you will be worth every dollar.

Why would you get a Go? You can still DL the game for a regular PSP, you know.

B.K.

careful said:

Gamestop sells used Gos for $99.

careful

Yaweee said:
Why would you get a Go? You can still DL the game for a regular PSP, you know.
I don't know. Popular opinion seems to be that the Go is the best iteration of the PSP (minus the missing UMD releases). I do like the slide form factor. I plan on getting a PSP2 in the future, so probably not interested in buying UMD anyways.

B.K. said:
I'm in Canada. They are still $199 over here. I missed the boxing day deal for $99 earlier this year.. :(

TheSeks said:
You know, you could've gotten a 1000/2000/3000 PSP for less and gotten a 1/2/4/8 gig memory stick for a lot less than the Go if you only wanted to play TO, you know?
The best I saw for a used 3000 locally was $70 CAD. Add a decent size memory stick and I'm getting pretty close to that my $120 Go. But you guys are right, I probably could've found a cheaper solution if I wasn't so impatient. It's all good. Should be money well spent. lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cfh123 said:
Anyways I saw Persona 3 Portable on the store for $19.99. I think that originally came out for $39.99. I wonder how long it took that price to drop. (I will have to pick up P3P - I never completed P3 FES on the PS2 and it is a classic.)

Only for this week as it's a sale.

You might want to pick it up tonight before the store updates tomorrow and the sale is gone. Just saying.

careful said:
>>PSPgo for DD<<

You know, you could've gotten a 1000/2000/3000 PSP for less and gotten a 1/2/4/8 gig memory stick for a lot less than the Go if you only wanted to play TO, you know?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I find myself totally unable to understand the mindset that would lead someone to look at the name Denim Powell and consider "Powell" to be the distracting part.

ixix said:
I find myself totally unable to understand the mindset that would lead someone to look at the name Denim Powell and consider "Powell" to be the distracting part.

They changed Denim to Denam, so he is no longer pants.

ferr

ebgames.com still hasn't shipped my order, I might just get it on PSN and ebay the physical copy whenever it gets here.. anyone else using ebgames/gamestop?

Shame on me, after all the nonsense of a certain part 3 fighting game I knew I was forgetting something. Then I remembered this releases today, if there was more justice in the world I'd gladly spend an evening with this asap.

Ricker

ferr said:
ebgames.com still hasn't shipped my order, I might just get it on PSN and ebay the physical copy whenever it gets here.. anyone else using ebgames/gamestop?

Yeah,pre-ordered months ago because PSP games over here in the Montreal area,disappear pretty fast since every store get about 2 copies,but I didn`t get the call yet that they have it in...usually they call on Friday or over the weekend to say the pre-orders are in...might switch my 5 bucks to another game and download this now...

taoofjord

I can't believe the day is finally here! Matsuno is my gaming god and TO was the only game of his I had never played. :)

Anything I need to know going into this game?

Minsc

Gold Member
taoofjord said:
I can't believe the day is finally here! Matsuno is my gaming god and TO was the only game of his I had never played. :)

Anything I need to know going into this game?

You're probably good with the info in the OP! The only thing I think worth mentioning again is if you pick the neutral path for your first playthrough, you'll have to use the WORLD system to get back to Chapter 1 after you finish the game and replay the game again using the Lawful or Chaotic path to get to use the DLC, so if you want to see the DLC asap, don't pick the neutral path first.

Apparently crafting is a total pain, and you're probably familiar with the concept that archers are way overpowered as usual. That about covers it I think.

B.K. said:

Do they, I don't even see used Gos as an option on the website

Looks like I'll be making some calls today! PSP 1000s are $99 so I doubt the Go is but we'll see

I also need a PSP by the end of the week

Victrix

*beard*
You can find PSPs for $100 all day on craigslist, go and otherwise. Look around, easy to find several and check them out firsthand for condition.

taoofjord

Minsc said:
You're probably good with the info in the OP! The only thing I think worth mentioning again is if you pick the neutral path for your first playthrough, you'll have to use the WORLD system to get back to Chapter 1 after you finish the game and replay the game again using the Lawful or Chaotic path to get to use the DLC, so if you want to see the DLC asap, don't pick the neutral path first.

Apparently crafting is a total pain, and you're probably familiar with the concept that archers are way overpowered as usual. That about covers it I think.

Thanks a ton! Since you say chapter 1, I'm assuming you literally pick your alignment at the beginning of the game?

Victrix

*beard*
taoofjord said:
Thanks a ton! Since you say chapter 1, I'm assuming you literally pick your alignment at the beginning of the game?

More or less, if the progression is still the same as the original game, there's basically a big obvious 'MAKE A CHOICE' moment that sets your path. It might be even more obvious in this remake, since they seem to be going out of their way to make it friendlier.

Yaweee

taoofjord said:

No.

End of C1 splits in to two Chapter 2s.
One C2 leads in to one C3, while the other leads in to two possible C3s.
All C4s are basically the same, but with some significant differences for character fates, etc.

You can see the tree shape in the OP.

Hobbun

I’m seeing a lot of people say the game ‘arrives today’. Are you talking about the PSN release?

I am getting the UMD from my local GS and they indicated last week that today (15th) is the ship date and should be getting it in tomorrow. I’ll call them when they open, maybe (hopefully) that’s changed and they do get it in today.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yaweee said:
You can see the tree shape in the OP.

Hmm, I must be blind, which part of the OP has the shape? I made this image a while ago from a youtube video (you can see the first major split of the game to the left of it), though there's probably a better pic somewhere, probably even in the OP.

Hobbun said:
I’m seeing a lot of people say the game ‘arrives today’. Are you talking about the PSN release?

I am getting the UMD from my local GS and they indicated last week that today (15th) is the ship date and should be getting it in tomorrow. I’ll call them when they open, maybe (hopefully) that’s changed and they do get it in today.

PSN release is supposed to be around 8PM i believe, and today is the release date, many of us were referring to Amazon's release day shipping, which went out last night for 1-day delivery today (I hope!).

Yaweee

Minsc said:
Hmm, I must be blind, which part of the OP has the shape? I made this image a while ago from a youtube video (you can see the first major split of the game to the left of it), though there's probably a better pic somewhere, probably even in the OP.

Oops, I had it confused with the last thread. My bad.

Skilletor

Hobbun said:

Mine from Amazon is out for delivery right now. I'll have the UMD version today.

Hobbun

Skilletor said:
Mine from Amazon is out for delivery right now. I'll have the UMD version today.

Yes, Minsc answered my question above, thanks.

Wasn’t thinking about Amazon’s release date delivery.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yaweee said:
"It would be great if we could create Tactics Ogre for iPhone at some point"

Should be interesting to see if they port over PSP's FF:T WotL without the slowdown and it becomes the definitive version like they say. I actually think SRPGs work really well on a touch screen with a proper interface & pinch zoom support. I'll probably get them both on the iPhone, why not, though it'll be like 5 years till TO comes out though, at the speed they work.

Top Bottom