• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

Or you could also make use of the mystic arte chaining to use his. I think the game doesn't even tell you about that which is a shame.

If i only knew you could do that lol . ( guess it make sense since you could do it in other tale games.)
Thanks that should make things much easier

Side note is the anime that much better than the game for Zestiria ?
Did not even bother with it with how much i dislike Zestiria .

Man I'm just in the beginning stages of this game and I feel a bit....overwhelmed by what battle system is giving me to do and things to remember.

This isn't a bad thing mind you.

Zafir

It's a real shame about the dungeon design. I've got 16 hours on the clock and so far practically every dungeon has been pretty damn awful. Most of them having the same bland music every time, similar assets being reused. No real game play outside of find and flick the switch. Even worse they often outstay their welcome really, having more "screens" than they really needed to.

Really lets the game down considering I think the combat, characters and story seems fairly solid so far.

In other news I should really try out that AI fix.

Nozomi

Banned
It's a real shame about the dungeon design. I've got 16 hours on the clock and so far practically every dungeon has been pretty damn awful. Most of them having the same bland music every time, similar assets being reused. No real game play outside of find and flick the switch. Even worse they often outstay their welcome really, having more "screens" than they really needed to.

Really lets the game down considering I think the combat, characters and story seems fairly solid so far.

In other news I should really try out that AI fix.

Yeah the dungeon design is atrocious and my biggest complain so far. Its just awful to run through empty corridors.

I wish bamco would hire someone with a little bit expertise in that area. This would improve the game so much.

JPS Kai

Dumb question, but where do you check to see if grade perks are active?

I wanted to throw Namco a couple bones on DLC, so I bought the 2x grade points and exp to speed up grinding in the first playthrough. The items already got used through the item menu but I'm not seeing anything in the post-battle info that mentions double grade.

Dumb question, but where do you check to see if grade perks are active?

I wanted to throw Namco a couple bones on DLC, so I bought the 2x grade points and exp to speed up grinding in the first playthrough. The items already got used through the item menu but I'm not seeing anything in the post-battle info that mentions double grade.
You can't turn them off so if you installed it, it's on.
At the beginning of the game you'll only earn 1-2 grade per battle so if you're pulling 2-4 it's active for sure!

Loving this on par was Vesperia so far, waiting for some Kratos style twist though with Artorius.

Just finished the first fight with
Arthur and they escape into the earth realm where faux laphicet is merged with the cry baby exorcist

But before all that happened I came across a book in the library that spoke of the 12 year disease. (Child sufferers of fevers until they die at the age of 12) is that what laphicet had?

JPS Kai

You can't turn them off so if you installed it, it's on.
At the beginning of the game you'll only earn 1-2 grade per battle so if you're pulling 2-4 it's active for sure!

That sounds about right. I'm guessing it just flat out doubles whatever the bonus is instead of being in a separate category.

On a related note, does using a HP +1000/Level +5 (saving that for the final grind) affect only the current members in your team or will future party members benefit from it once they join? This is the first time I've used any of the DLC without going through the regular Grade Shop.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Best Velvet?
b822d602e6.png

Yeah the dungeon design is atrocious and my biggest complain so far. Its just awful to run through empty corridors.

I wish bamco would hire someone with a little bit expertise in that area. This would improve the game so much.

Yep it has been that way for years now and they don't seem to care .
Really lets down the game .

Copper

I believe there are unlockable "outfits" (actually just the default outfit, but just classed as an outfit for convenience I guess) you get through the minigame currency that allow you to change battle music

Nice. Any ideas on where to get them? Also what themes are available?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My only problem with Villager Velvet, despite her looking 100x better than Torn-up Pirate Velvet, is that she feels out of place in her edgelord-y scenes. Seeing her giant daemon arm come out of that outfit looks weird.

Vazra

I feel Tales of Series issues with the overworld is that they give you big empty fields to explore and the interactivity with the world is lacking and its only just walking or riding something around. Do a smaller scale to the overworld, add platforming mechanics without having to be a context sensitive button on limited areas. The invisible walls on some areas can be jarring cause there are some areas that is literally 1 step you may want to drop down but you have to find the small set of stairs to get there and some areas you could jump in without the need of that button press on that exact point with the notification. Add some swimming areas for exploration, add some other mechanics to it so the exploration is not so bland.

As for the combat I feel they need better targeting when you kill an enemy cause sometimes you have enemies closer than you and your character would a lot of time run to the farthest enemy and ruins the flow a lot of times.

Bladenic

Zestiria's only good dungeons were the elemental ones the rest were the same as they've been since Xillia. In fact I would say Zestiria's many floored ruins were far worse than anything in Berseria. Berseria has better fields too although I thought some fields in Zestiria looked nice as well. Although Zestiria did have better rewards for exploration with discovery points, monoliths, etc.

Zafir

My only problem with Villager Velvet, despite her looking 100x better than Torn-up Pirate Velvet, is that she feels out of place in her edgelord-y scenes. Seeing her giant daemon arm come out of that outfit looks weird.

True, it's a worthy sacrifice for not having to put up with her trashy default outfit though.

I'm just sad that I still have to put up with it in the skits/cutscenes.

I feel Tales of Series issues with the overworld is that they give you big empty fields to explore and the interactivity with the world is lacking and its only just walking or riding something around. Do a smaller scale to the overworld, add platforming mechanics without having to be a context sensitive button on limited areas. The invisible walls on some areas can be jarring cause there are some areas that is literally 1 step you may want to drop down but you have to find the small set of stairs to get there and some areas you could jump in without the need of that button press on that exact point with the notification. Add some swimming areas for exploration, add some other mechanics to it so the exploration is not so bland.

As for the combat I feel they need better targeting when you kill an enemy cause sometimes you have enemies closer than you and your character would a lot of time run to the farthest enemy and ruins the flow a lot of times.
I mean I don't think the fields are the problem with Berseria, at least they have some semblance of variety. Ironically despite them having more of a reason to be larger (since they often lead onto 3 or 4 different places) they are mostly smaller than all the dungeons too.

It's just the dungeons that are really boring me to tears.

Vazra

They no longer have hat versions of the hair?

They do but I wanted to cover one eye with hair. Thee is decent options as usual.

I mean I don't think the fields are the problem with Berseria, at least they have some semblance of variety. Ironically despite them having more of a reason to be larger (since they often lead onto 3 or 4 different places) they are mostly smaller than all the dungeons too.

It's just the dungeons that are really boring me to tears.
Oddly enough I miss the dungeon designs that were in Tales of Symphonia. Sure in some cases it has some issues but at least they knew how to give you variety and interesting structure that the following games lacked for most of the part.

Zafir

Oddly enough I miss the dungeon designs that were in Tales of Symphonia. Sure in some cases it has some issues but at least they knew how to give you variety and interesting structure that the following games lacked for most of the part.

As much as I've gone off Symphonia over the years, I still think the dungeon design in ToS is really solid, to be honest.

That said I don't think that was where it started going down hill. I don't think Abyss was bad for dungeon design either. It had problems of you having to go through dungeons multiple times, but if we were just talking about the first run through of each. I think they were of a decent length, and also tried to do some interesting things with their dungeons. Even if some of them maybe fell a bit flat.

I think it was something that went downhill last gen really.

Vamphuntr

As much as I've gone off Symphonia over the years, I still think the dungeon design in ToS is really solid, to be honest.

That said I don't think that was where it started going down hill. I don't think Abyss was bad for dungeon design either. It had problems of you having to go through dungeons multiple times, but if we were just talking about the first run through of each. I think they were of a decent length, and also tried to do some interesting things with their dungeons. Even if some of them maybe fell a bit flat.

I think it was something that went downhill last gen really.

Unfortunately not. Tales of Rebirth had pretty poor dungeons back on PS2. Some even copy pasted the same hallways again and again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nothing is as bad as Rebirth's stupid plant factory dungeon. That had actual puzzles that frustrated the hell out of the player. I prefer boring to bad.

But I prefer good to boring. Symphonia is still king, IMO.

Vazra

I'd accept a Symphonia remake with a new combat system that makes Sheena summoning requirements not suck, free movement and keep the dungeons as they are but more detail. Also keep the Golden Dragon bug in.
KuGsj.gif

Bladenic

I'd accept a Symphonia remake with a new combat system that makes Sheena summoning requirements not suck, free movement and keep the dungeons as they are but more detail. Also keep the Golden Dragon bug in.
KuGsj.gif

Your avi, god the voice acting on that character especially when she "cries" 💀

Wagram

I thought Velvet showed a sign of character progression and then she went and said she
wanted to use Laphicet for his power.
Fuck this bitch. You're a poor woman's Zero.

Rpgmonkey

I don't think they ever really went back to Symphonia's approach because the poorly-designed or lengthy ones like the Shadow Temple and Ymir Forest ended up sticking out to a lot of people more than any good ones, and some of them could get so elaborate that they may have felt it went too far out of the series' DNA.

I thought Hearts DS had a nice approach. You got a Sorcerer's Ring that could shoot the usual fireball, did some blue energy thing I can't fully remember, and had an energy whip, and they just designed some basic puzzles and gimmicks around those. It stopped dungeons but being straight shots with enemies scattered about, without making me feel like 80% of my time in a dungeon was running back and forth to solve some arbitrary puzzle.

Anyway, it sounds like the game after Berseria may have an increased focus on seamlessness, so I'm hoping they're doing the level design with that in mind by adding some elaborate geography, the ability to jump, increased interactivity with the environment (both in and out of battle), etc., and it's not just what they're currently doing but with visible party members and enemies.

Shouta

Dungeon issues with recent Tales really comes from the fact they went with an approach that combines world travel and dungeon travel into one ala Star Ocean 1 & 5 instead of separating them like older Tales games usually did. When you combine this with their inability to actually create dungeons, it just exacerbates the "empty world" impressions folks have. A lot of older Tales games don't really give you anymore incentive to search the overworld than the later games but because it's so short and you go between the two types of traversing, it doesn't get tiresome.

I imagine that the reason they went with this style for games starting with Graces on has to do with internal workflows, design work, engine stuff, and etc. I don't mind it personally but they could put more effort into using it properly.

So yeah, very late game spoilers
Artorius's endgame goal is terrifying. At the part where they pretty much drained all the people's free will, at least in zekson. Why would anyone think such a dull lifeless world is worth it?

aitakute

So yeah, very late game spoilers
Artorius's endgame goal is terrifying. At the part where they pretty much drained all the people's free will, at least in zekson. Why would anyone think such a dull lifeless world is worth it?
Because it's the only way to counter the malevolent curse in the world. Seriously I don't mind a third game to resolve this curse. I hope they do that in the anime

He's the one who keeps denying emotion and keep talking about logic. For him, it's logical for human to live that way instead of being devoured by malevolent
I mean I get that, but I still can't help but think it's pretty much as bad as humanity being wiped out regardless

Rainy

Banned
Just had the first fight
with Artorius, man I really hate him. I was hoping he would turn good but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Also LOL at Teresa, I hate her too.

Top Bottom