• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria |OT| The Band of the Crowe

TheFatMan

About 18 hours in and I think I just finished "Act 1"...although nothing was clearly labeled. For a minute I thought I was approaching the end of the game...definitely some cool shit happening.

I have a question regarding the DLC "cheats". Does using one disqualify you from any trophies? Anyone know?

aitakute

About 18 hours in and I think I just finished "Act 1"...although nothing was clearly labeled. For a minute I thought I was approaching the end of the game...definitely some cool shit happening.

I have a question regarding the DLC "cheats". Does using one disqualify you from any trophies? Anyone know?

No. They are totally safe

Rainy

Banned
Just got Eleanor in the party.

So I think she'll obviously start liking the party and won't turn on them but the fact that Velvet and Eizen saw the conversation makes things particularly interesting.

Pons

Neo Member
A question about Arte usage.

If I have all a characters artes checked as active, will they still use them at all if I don't have them listed on the stages screen as part of a stage?

I think they can but not sure.

Don't want to include the healing artes on the stages if I don't need to.

If they can use artes not part of stages, how do I do that as a player character?

Thanks. Trying to figure out the nuances of the battle system.

Xevren

I'm having such a blast playing this, definitely the most fun I've had in a Tales game since Vesperia. Cast and story are good, fights are great. Don't really care for the equipment and it's upgrades at all, just gets annoying.

Just had the first fight
with Artorius, man I really hate him. I was hoping he would turn good but doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Also LOL at Teresa, I hate her too.

Well he is the good guy and you're the baddie if you guy by Zestiria's story

Althane

So I knew the main character was goign to be angry and driven by revenge, but holy shit.

First few hours,
start riot to cover her escape, burn down a port just because she needed a distraction, and murdered her way through a fortress to get a ship moving

I mean, these are things that would happen in some way for a Tales game, and yet it makes me feel so skuzzy doing it.

Loving the Band of Badass Brothers vibe going so far.

Dammit, steam version is region locked. Looks like I have to pleb it up on PS4.

Seriously though the others are not locked, why the one I was actually ever excited about.

Wagram

I really wish the balancing was better. The combat has promise and continues to have more as you push further into the game, but still being easy on Intense was a mistake on the part of the devs.

Giolon

Question about Eleanor and Laphicet, around the time she joins your party:

So Laphicet used up too much power and that put him at threat of becoming a demon, so Eleanor made a pact with him to become his vessel. Why can't they just undo the pact once he regained his strength the same way that Laphicet was broken away from Teresa or Bienfu having broken away from Magilou?

Wagram

Question about Eleanor and Laphicet, around the time she joins your party:

So Laphicet used up too much power and that put him at threat of becoming a demon, so Eleanor made a pact with him to become his vessel. Why can't they just undo the pact once he regained his strength the same way that Laphicet was broken away from Teresa or Bienfu having broken away from Magilou?

If he breaks off from her he will immediately become a demon. Bienfu isn't in such danger so breaking off and switching wouldn't be an issue for him.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just hit the 20 hour mark and still having a great time. There are times when it seems like it's dungeon after long field after dungeon after long field though.

Giolon

If he breaks off from her he will immediately become a demon. Bienfu isn't in such danger so breaking off and switching wouldn't be an issue for him.

I know they said that, but why? Do they ever explain why he wouldn't just be fine after he recovered his power? Or is he permanently already infected w/ Daemonblight from while he was weakened?

God damn how long is this game? I'm at 13 hours and I don't even have the annoying mascot yet.

I'm at 18 hours and just got the final party member.

Phased

Can anyone explain exactly how Consuming Claw works? I activate it just fine, and it seems to say it throws me out of it whenever I finish a combo chain however I'm finding sometimes it "finishes" the ability and tosses me out of it well before I reach the fourth ability in a chain.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding how it's supposed to work? I understand the final ability will do more damage the lower her health is, however often times it's ending way too early for me to make use of it.

Giolon

Can anyone explain exactly how Consuming Claw works? I activate it just fine, and it seems to say it throws me out of it whenever I finish a combo chain however I'm finding sometimes it "finishes" the ability and tosses me out of it well before I reach the fourth ability in a chain.

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding how it's supposed to work? I understand the final ability will do more damage the lower her health is, however often times it's ending way too early for me to make use of it.

There are two ways it ends: you reach your maximum combo chain (as dictated by the number of souls you have in your Soul Gauge, 4 souls = 4, 3 souls = 3, etc.) and then press an attack button again which triggers the special attack that ends Consuming Claw, or you reach 1 HP remaining.

Renmyra

I'm at a loss for how you're supposed to get Odorless Fluid. Some stuff need it to be enhanced, but give Course Tempering Powder when dismantled...

EDIT: And I just died after doing a lengthy dismantle/enhance session. Kill me.

sgs2008

thats very strange it should never end unless you finish the full string of combos or do another break soul mid combo

I know they said that, but why? Do they ever explain why he wouldn't just be fine after he recovered his power? Or is he permanently already infected w/ Daemonblight from while he was weakened?

I'm at 18 hours and just got the final party member.

Cool I'm enjoying toying with the battle system it feels mashy at first but you can get some nice combos going.

Characters seem pretty solid so far with velvet being a bit of a bummer but I definitely think this is the best cast since vesperia although Yuri is the king of protags and Rita is amazing as well.

Still it seems like graces f is still king when it come to combat and skill learning systems.

Music is hella forgettable tho. Namco really needs to give someone else a shot again

There's no way to make the skit indicator bigger is there? Half the time i miss skits because I don't notice the tiny ass little triangle in the corner of my screen :-/

Phased

There are two ways it ends: you reach your maximum combo chain (as dictated by the number of souls you have in your Soul Gauge, 4 souls = 4, 3 souls = 3, etc.) and then press an attack button again which triggers the special attack that ends Consuming Claw, or you reach 1 HP remaining.

Ah I'm not paying as much attention to my Souls as I should then. I guess activating it with only 3 souls (thus leaving me with only 2 remaining) is a bad idea unless I need immediate burst damage.

Thanks.

Wagram

I'm curious if Magilou has more purpose than being that person that sows dissension among everyone for general amusement. She knows more than she's letting on.

Giolon

What're you reading? "How to Talk a Human Female into Becoming Your Vessel" and "Physically Escalating with Cuties" LOLOLOLOL

I'm shocked by how good this game is. The story, the characters, the battle system, they're all in a different league compared to the tales I played before (Xillia, Zestiria). Usually I get bored with Tales once I hit the 6 hours mark, now I'm 17 hours in wanting more!

Just got the full party and I must say they have a great dynamic. Magilou is hilarious, Velvet being the edgiest of lords won't stop being fun, and the bromance between Eizen and Rokurou is just great. Laphicet and Eleanor are great too, with some cool character development. This may end up be one of the few JRPGs where I like the entire party.

My main complains are the shitty backtracking, and the music being a huge step down from Zesteria, but I can live with that.

Can't wait to dig more into it. Such a fun game.

rickyson1

i'll echo the sentiment that the dungeon design is wearing on me a bit

other than that still having a great time with it 20 or so hours in

Pejo

So I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I'm about 20 some hours in, at
The tropical island location, forget the name
and I just do jackshit damage to all of the bosses. I don't get it

Is there a guard break mechanic I missed in a tutorial somewhere? It seems like every fucking boss fight is:

1. Run in circles
2. Wait for them to attack
3. Get in a single hit
4. Repeat

They have some truly next level auto-guard stuff going on, somehow even when moving. It's not difficult to beat them, but it just takes so long. I've been upgrading all of my weapons to +3, but on bosses, even unguarded, I do almost no damage. like 25-100 per hit. This can't be right?

Please GAF, help!

Also, probably due to a similar reason, why are all of my heals only healing for like 100-200 HP? And it changes based on the fight.

I think the reason Velvet doesn't bug me is because 1. I find her reasons to be fucking angry all the time pretty legit 2. Daemons characteristics seem to be based around whatever emotion created them, ie since she's filled with anger and revenge, she's become an unsatiable eater who can't taste anything and focuses on revenge 3. She's not entirely one note as her complicated relationship with Laphicet #2 shows and 4. The rest of the cast regularly take the piss out of her.

Also I had to piss so I set everyone to Auto and got in a 3 chain Dangerous Encounter to grind real quick while I went to the bathroom and came back to find them fighting a dire foe lol

And yeah, I too have found the instantaneous blockfest of battle kinda unfun.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
And yeah, I too have found the instantaneous blockfest of battle kinda unfun.

Specifically, the instant ability of bosses or dire enemies to block is turning into my biggest gripe with the combat system other than having to manually set combos for certain elements to get elemental weakness, since 'you decide' doesn't appear to do it all the time.

(That, and the fact that randomly just setting skills for elemental advantage sometimes gives really awkward 'combo' paths that don't flow well, at least on Velvet)

I've been trying to use one of the potentites that gives you a sort of shield-breaker if holding block for 2 seconds then attacking, but it only appears to work ~1/2 the time that I can see.

Somewhat relatedly, I don't quite get the point of having enemies partially resist attacks while getting up from the ground - feels like it defeats the purpose of getting them there, even if the bonus soul gauge is nice.

Giolon

So I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I'm about 20 some hours in, at
The tropical island location, forget the name
and I just do jackshit damage to all of the bosses. I don't get it

Is there a guard break mechanic I missed in a tutorial somewhere? It seems like every fucking boss fight is:

1. Run in circles
2. Wait for them to attack
3. Get in a single hit
4. Repeat

They have some truly next level auto-guard stuff going on, somehow even when moving. It's not difficult to beat them, but it just takes so long. I've been upgrading all of my weapons to +3, but on bosses, even unguarded, I do almost no damage. like 25-100 per hit. This can't be right?

Please GAF, help!

Also, probably due to a similar reason, why are all of my heals only healing for like 100-200 HP? And it changes based on the fight.

I don't know if you missed it, but around the point where you get Eleanor in the party, you get the ability to guard break. After blocking for 2 seconds, your next hit will be a guard break. Additionally Break Souls and Mystic Artes cannot be blocked.

Pejo

I don't know if you missed it, but around the point where you get Eleanor in the party, you get the ability to guard break. After blocking for 2 seconds, your next hit will be a guard break. Additionally Break Souls and Mystic Artes cannot be blocked.

Ah yea, I did forget about that. I was pulling an all-nighter last night and got to that part really late.

I'll give it a shot next time I play. I hope it does an actual "guard break" (where you can combo them afterwards) instead of just having your first move eat through a block, because otherwise I'm back to what I've been doing with running around and getting in single hits.

Is it normal on bosses to be only hitting for 25-100 per regular hit? On normal enemies, I"m doing 150-600, with 1500 on big moves with weakness, but every time I fight a boss, my unblocked white damage takes a huge fucking nosedive. Am I doing something wrong?

Btw, who are you guys mainly controlling? I tried all of the characters out for at least a few fights, but I'm totally comfy with Rokurou. Love that gameplay style, reminds me of a full-melee Raven from Vesperia.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn this game is edgy.

Spoilers for the first part after
escaping the prison
:

She burned a town, beat up the white knights, kicked Teresa in the face, kicked Laphicet in the face.

Best Tales cast ever.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As much as I love this game, I much prefer playing as straight up good guys than pseudo-villains like Velvet. I guess it is a nice change of pace, though.

I love the rest of the cast outside of Velvet and Magilou, but those two are like Batman villain material.

aravuus

I love it, much more interesting than the regularly boring, perfectly good JRPG protagonists. I'll take a bit over the top edge over goody-two-shoes holier-than-thou bullshit any day of the week, at least with the former it's funny when it fails, and there have definitely been moments when I just laughed at whatever Velvet said. With latter I always just end up groaning my throat sore.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love it, much more interesting than the regularly boring, perfectly good JRPG protagonists. I'll take a bit over the top edge over goody-two-shoes holier-than-thou bullshit any day of the week, at least with the former it's funny when it fails, and there have definitely been moments when I just laughed at whatever Velvet said. With latter I always just end up groaning my throat sore.
My opinion couldn't be more opposite. I love playing as the hero and never found it groan worthy - doing good by others and the world feels good! Maybe you like Velvet because you can relate, you villain!
I kid, I kid

lol Maybe that's why I really like Velvet, because I'm so tired of "but noooooo, we can't kill theeeeeeemmmm" and then I get to some point where Velvet just kills some dude who was doing evil for a good reason and is like "I don't care" I actually quite like Velvet just for that. Then again my tolerance for "edgy" material is very high (since I fucking hate that term).

I just get burned out on your stock shonen jRPG protags. It's why Yuri from Vesperia is so lauded.

aravuus

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm still not sure if I like Magilou as a character - she has some funny jokes from time to time but in equal measures some of her jokes fall flat like no tomorrow - but I LOVE how she keeps fucking with everyone in the party. Have any doubts about yourself or someone else in the party? You can be sure Magilou will be there to exacerbate those doubts.

My opinion couldn't be more opposite. I love playing as the hero and never found it groan worthy - doing good by others and the world feels good! Maybe you like Velvet because you can relate, you villain!
I kid, I kid

I'm the edgiest kid in my neighborhood

lol Maybe that's why I really like Velvet, because I'm so tired of "but noooooo, we can't kill theeeeeeemmmm" and then I get to some point where Velvet just kills some dude who was doing evil for a good reason and is like "I don't care" I actually quite like Velvet just for that. Then again my tolerance for "edgy" material is very high (since I fucking hate that term).

Pretty much agreed, particularly with the bolded, though I wouldn't say I really like Velvet. I like her, but I don't really really like her.

Jisgsaw

I'm at a loss for how you're supposed to get Odorless Fluid. Some stuff need it to be enhanced, but give Course Tempering Powder when dismantled...

EDIT: And I just died after doing a lengthy dismantle/enhance session. Kill me.

IIRC, you have to dismantle an object with +XX HP.

Renmyra

IIRC, you have to dismantle an object with +XX HP.

Actually, I think it has to have no extra skills at all. That's what I found from a bit of googling at least.
Apparently the best way to farm them is turning down the difficulty. I don't like being punished for playing on higher difficulties. :/

Top Bottom